http://gamingtrend.com
August 29, 2014, 08:21:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orange Box [360] - Thoughts and Impressions please.  (Read 9247 times)
Soulchilde
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: October 17, 2007, 02:17:17 PM »

Well, I just finished up Half-Life 2 last night for the first time and I like the game.  To many jumping puzzles  for my liking, but enjoyable nonetheless.  I just started Ep 1 and I am working my way thru the dark car tunnel.

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 17, 2007, 02:56:23 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on October 17, 2007, 02:17:17 PM

To many jumping puzzles  for my liking, but enjoyable nonetheless. 

thankfully it was nowhere near as bad as the first game.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 17, 2007, 04:22:53 PM »

Word of advice for those tackling the first game again - That achievement for never touching the beach during Sandtraps?  DON'T DO IT!  Not only is it just a painfully difficult and tedious achievement (think of crossing those big sand seas by slowly alternating a door and a wooden palette with the grav gun), but the feedback just isn't there for when you've stepped on the beach.  For starters, there's "beach" texture and there's "grass" texture, but there's also kind of a "beachy grass" texture that's a mix of the two.  Is that beach as well?  Also your placement can get wacky sometimes too.  For instance, your character doesn't rotate exactly in place, so when you stand on the corner of some flat object like a piece of metal siding and turn, you'll end up kind of floating off of it, not sure if you're on the beach or not.

Why am I going on about this?  Because I spent nearly three hours going for this achievement only to reach the end of the level and NOT GET IT, with no clue where I might have gone wrong.  What a sadistic achievement.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 17, 2007, 07:10:41 PM »

Yeah I thought about trying for that achievement, and then thought better of it.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 17, 2007, 07:28:10 PM »

Quote from: kathode on October 17, 2007, 04:22:53 PM

Why am I going on about this?  Because I spent nearly three hours going for this achievement only to reach the end of the level and NOT GET IT, with no clue where I might have gone wrong.  What a sadistic achievement.

Man, I thought it would just be based on whether you triggered the antlions or not.  Sounds like it's a lot worse. 
unbreakable
« Reply #125 on: October 17, 2007, 07:41:48 PM »

I didn't even realize the Achievements were there until I got to Ep2.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 17, 2007, 08:25:17 PM »

question-is there a difficulty selection on this game?..and also,if anyone has it on medium,how is it holding out?,too easy,or hard or just right?

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 17, 2007, 08:29:14 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on October 17, 2007, 08:25:17 PM

question-is there a difficulty selection on this game?..and also,if anyone has it on medium,how is it holding out?,too easy,or hard or just right?

Yes, there is difficulty selection and IIRC it can be changed on the fly at any time.  Personally, I find Medium just right. 
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 17, 2007, 08:56:06 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 17, 2007, 08:29:14 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on October 17, 2007, 08:25:17 PM

Yes, there is difficulty selection and IIRC it can be changed on the fly at any time.  Personally, I find Medium just right. 

thanks Kev,I usually start from medium(when available)and then up it or lower it,as too how i am getting on with the game....hopefully you are right about changing on the fly,because if it does get too hard,i will lower it in a heartbeat,this is one of those games where i am more interested in the story,than wanting a decent challenge(although i dont usually mind the latter as long as i am not pulling my hair out)

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 17, 2007, 08:58:41 PM »

It's not a hard game at all outside of a couple of difficulty spikes in the last third of the game (Turret Room I'm looking at you!).  Valve seems to go out of their way to make a game designed to move anyone from Point A to Point B in a clean manner without frustration. 
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 17, 2007, 09:14:25 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 17, 2007, 08:58:41 PM

It's not a hard game at all outside of a couple of difficulty spikes in the last third of the game (Turret Room I'm looking at you!).  Valve seems to go out of their way to make a game designed to move anyone from Point A to Point B in a clean manner without frustration. 

thats good,because playing through half life 1 last week,was a real bitch!!

its not that i dont like a hard game or even a challenge...but some things piss me off in games,when they make it that hard that all i can do is put it down...difficulty levels are a god send for me,as i dont claim to be a good gamer,i just claim to love games

i will admit though that some games,say like the final fantasy games should stay as they are and not have a difficulty level,because mainly,to get past a hard part is solved by going out and levelling some more

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 21, 2007, 09:35:49 AM »

Quote from: kathode on October 17, 2007, 04:22:53 PM

Word of advice for those tackling the first game again - That achievement for never touching the beach during Sandtraps?  DON'T DO IT!  Not only is it just a painfully difficult and tedious achievement (think of crossing those big sand seas by slowly alternating a door and a wooden palette with the grav gun), but the feedback just isn't there for when you've stepped on the beach.  For starters, there's "beach" texture and there's "grass" texture, but there's also kind of a "beachy grass" texture that's a mix of the two.  Is that beach as well?  Also your placement can get wacky sometimes too.  For instance, your character doesn't rotate exactly in place, so when you stand on the corner of some flat object like a piece of metal siding and turn, you'll end up kind of floating off of it, not sure if you're on the beach or not.

i just got this,took about 30-45 minutes,a few headscratching moments,but when i came to the long plank,i just used my gravity gun and took it everywhere with me,and used bits of metal to tiptoe on...i got the achievement as soon as i got to the higher part of the cliff where that queen antilon whatever is

oh,yeah,and for every jump i made,i saved it,and then if i touched the sand i reloaded the save and tried again...even when i wasnt sure if i had touched the sand or not,i reloaded just incase

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 21, 2007, 09:21:15 PM »

Decided to take a break from HL2 and played Portal.  Finished it and I must say that it is a great game and very funny.  The end boss battle was hilarious as was the little song in the credits.    I will probably go back and do some of the Advanced puzzles.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 22, 2007, 01:34:00 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on October 21, 2007, 09:35:49 AM

oh,yeah,and for every jump i made,i saved it,and then if i touched the sand i reloaded the save and tried again...even when i wasnt sure if i had touched the sand or not,i reloaded just incase
Yup, sounds like great fun! I'm sure it's "gettable" for lack of a better word.  My point was that I think it's a terrible achievement because the feedback systems in the game don't support that type of play at all.

Of course, now I'm trying for the gnome achievement in Ep2.  I am a masochist.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 01:35:35 AM by kathode » Logged
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 22, 2007, 10:34:28 PM »

How long did it take you guys to beat Ep 1? I beat it on PC back when it came out, but I forgot how short it was. If my save game time is right, the game was only 3 1/2 hours...?

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 22, 2007, 11:28:34 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on October 22, 2007, 10:34:28 PM

How long did it take you guys to beat Ep 1? I beat it on PC back when it came out, but I forgot how short it was. If my save game time is right, the game was only 3 1/2 hours...?

I think taking my sweet time the first time I played it on PC took 5 hours.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 22, 2007, 11:39:21 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on October 22, 2007, 10:34:28 PM

A bit over four hours for me. 
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 23, 2007, 12:18:11 AM »

Four to Five hours for me, maybe a shade longer though.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 27, 2007, 03:05:45 AM »

Finished Episode 2, I didn't like it that much. There were some great story elements, mainly at the end, but I felt like the gameplay only shined in a few areas and overall there were too many frustrating moments for me. Alyx is annoying, she blocked my path and caused me to die one too many times, she also isn't a very interesting character to me so I find her babbling to be a bore. Most of the sequences where you have to drive the car suck, the car is not fun to drive in most cases and I find myself wishing I could resume my on-foot journey. I'm also not a fan of the level design, the mines were boring, running around country-side was sleep inducing...

Really the damn problem is this all feels like more of the same. I'm tired of these half-assed episodic HL2 releases, give us HL3 already!

Sean Lama
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: October 27, 2007, 06:32:54 AM »

I have yet to finish Episode 2, but those were about my exact same thoughts when I played Episode 1 and I was really hoping this second one would introduce some fresh elements like they talked about. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 27, 2007, 08:27:44 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on October 27, 2007, 06:32:54 AM

I have yet to finish Episode 2, but those were about my exact same thoughts when I played Episode 1 and I was really hoping this second one would introduce some fresh elements like they talked about. 

i finished episode 1 last night,and yeah i was quite dissapointed in it,it was okay,but nothing new or mega great,i was pretty much sick of being in the dark for that long,i would be a bit pissed if i bought this when it originally came out,and it didnt help me liking the game any better when going after that 'one bullet achievement'..not being able to use a gun throughout the game,LOL

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 27, 2007, 05:04:32 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on October 27, 2007, 08:27:44 AM

Quote from: EngineNo9 on October 27, 2007, 06:32:54 AM

i finished episode 1 last night,and yeah i was quite dissapointed in it,it was okay,but nothing new or mega great,i was pretty much sick of being in the dark for that long,i would be a bit pissed if i bought this when it originally came out,and it didnt help me liking the game any better when going after that 'one bullet achievement'..not being able to use a gun throughout the game,LOL

Actually, HL2 was still a somewhat fresh experience when Ep1 came out. At this point though, I'm sick if it. I'll buy Ep3 just to continue the story, but unless they add a new engine to the game rather than a new layer of paint, I don't see myself enjoying it a whole lot.

Sean Lama
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: October 27, 2007, 06:11:56 PM »

I wouldn't call over a year and a half "somewhat fresh".  November '04 to June '06.  That's about the time it normally takes for a full sequel to come out in many cases. 

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 27, 2007, 06:51:23 PM »

well i finished episode 2,did the gnome thing,put it in the rocket...didnt get the achievement....went onto team fortress seen as though the update had arrived,it was a bit better for lag,but the game just doesnt do anything for me,so in two weeks i am gonna exchange it all to go towards COD4....i've finished with the orange box now,got a lot of achievements(missed one in HL2,got all in episode 1,and missed about 4-5 in episode 2)...nothing left to do here,move along

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 28, 2007, 12:58:20 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on October 27, 2007, 06:51:23 PM

well i finished episode 2,did the gnome thing,put it in the rocket...didnt get the achievement....

well isn't that a pisser.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 28, 2007, 06:34:51 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 28, 2007, 12:58:20 AM

Quote from: metallicorphan on October 27, 2007, 06:51:23 PM

well i finished episode 2,did the gnome thing,put it in the rocket...didnt get the achievement....

well isn't that a pisser.

You have to finish the episode before getting the achievement - from what I know.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 28, 2007, 09:40:33 AM »

nah its okay,i got told that i had to shut the rocket door(which i tried and couldnt do first time so,left it as it was) .....so,because i am such a smart bastard,i had made a new save point there.....went back to that point last night,put gnomey in there and then pressed X...d'oh...and closed the door and got the achievement

i still wouldnt recomend doing that achievement though,took all the fun out of the game,especially the driving parts,cant go fast or the gnome falls out of the car.....every 20 seconds i had to stop the car to go pick him up....it was murder when the combine helicoptors were firing/chaseing after me..i would get out of the car and pick up the gnome and then the helicoptor would shoot me and the gnome would fly about 40 ft away from me.......it was like Stan Laurel trying to pick up his hat but cant because he keeps kicking it away when bending down to pick it up,LOL

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 28, 2007, 01:56:55 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on October 28, 2007, 09:40:33 AM

nah its okay,i got told that i had to shut the rocket door(which i tried and couldnt do first time so,left it as it was) .....so,because i am such a smart bastard,i had made a new save point there.....went back to that point last night,put gnomey in there and then pressed X...d'oh...and closed the door and got the achievement

i still wouldnt recomend doing that achievement though,took all the fun out of the game,especially the driving parts,cant go fast or the gnome falls out of the car.....every 20 seconds i had to stop the car to go pick him up....it was murder when the combine helicoptors were firing/chaseing after me..i would get out of the car and pick up the gnome and then the helicoptor would shoot me and the gnome would fly about 40 ft away from me.......it was like Stan Laurel trying to pick up his hat but cant because he keeps kicking it away when bending down to pick it up,LOL

I just got the Ravenholm achievement for only using the grav gun.  It helped tremendously that I had played the game before.  I'll probably go for the sandtraps one, too (I seem to remember trying not to touch the sand the first time, too).  I'm not going to do the gnome, even though his cute little mug will be awfully tempting.  I have to make a conscious decision.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 28, 2007, 03:02:30 PM »

This is the dark side of acheivements that I don't get.  Why would you ruin your first experience through a game by doing stuff like this just for a couple of points?  Same applies to Episode 1 and the 1 Bullet achievement and, to a lesser extent, the "Don't Touch the Sand" acheivement in HL2.  Those things seem designed for people who are replaying the content. 
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 28, 2007, 03:29:48 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 28, 2007, 03:02:30 PM

This is the dark side of acheivements that I don't get.  Why would you ruin your first experience through a game by doing stuff like this just for a couple of points?  Same applies to Episode 1 and the 1 Bullet achievement and, to a lesser extent, the "Don't Touch the Sand" acheivement in HL2.  Those things seem designed for people who are replaying the content. 

the one bullet achievement was a nothing really,the gravity gun,rockets,grenades were fine..i didnt really need the gun(apart for that lock)..i was just punting everything(flares as well) at the zombies and combine..or just letting alyx kill them while i figured what to do next(usually punting a car ontop of an antlion pit)

i dont usually go through games again just for achievements,if i am at the point i try it...and i didnt know the Gnome would be such a burden,or that i would have to carry him for about 4 hrs gameplay either icon_cry...anyway,done it now,and just waiting for episode 3 or half life 3 which ever is next

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: October 28, 2007, 05:41:05 PM »

Completely agree Kevin, I cannot imagine bothering to do this period, much less ruining your first playthrough for this. This is what I meant when I made that thread a few months ago-achievements are great, but when you see people really just potentially ruining a good gameplay experience in order to do some of these crazy achievements while they play and then they wonder why they didn't like the game as much as they might of? It might not be connected, but I am sure it influences opinion a little bit when you are so absorbed with completing achievements.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 28, 2007, 09:15:02 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on October 28, 2007, 05:41:05 PM

Completely agree Kevin, I cannot imagine bothering to do this period, much less ruining your first playthrough for this. This is what I meant when I made that thread a few months ago-achievements are great, but when you see people really just potentially ruining a good gameplay experience in order to do some of these crazy achievements while they play and then they wonder why they didn't like the game as much as they might of? It might not be connected, but I am sure it influences opinion a little bit when you are so absorbed with completing achievements.

Agreed.  However, I can see being in the same situation as MO.  Stumbling on that little troll and thinking, "Aw, what the hell..."  You don't think that someone would make the achievement a pain in the ass or gameplay ruining.  And once that starts to set in you keep thinking, "Well, I made it this far..."  That's what happened to me on the Ravenholm achievement, and I had played through it before.

I don't think I'll be doing the One Bullet achievement either, though.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 20, 2007, 01:39:38 PM »

I'm not reading the rest of this thread for fear of spoilers, but I finished Portal last night.

And as Ike has been saying for weeks, the last level is a thing of beauty.

Hard but not too hard. Hints in the right places. Great final puzzle. Great writing. Great narration and that ending song proves that the creators of the game are plain ol brilliant. Any chance they've put it out on mp3 for us uber geeks to DL?

I've already begun my replay to listen to the commentary...
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 20, 2007, 01:44:18 PM »

Oh and I'm on my way out to get a 'The Cake is a Lie' tattoo.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 20, 2007, 02:08:10 PM »

Quote from: ATB on December 20, 2007, 01:44:18 PM

I've been really tempted to go for the weighted companion cube fuzzy dice.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 20, 2007, 05:33:05 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on December 20, 2007, 02:08:10 PM

I want the plus to snuggle up with smile

And ATB, looks like you've been beaten to the punch (via GameDaily):

TheMissingLink on PSN
depward

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 20, 2007, 05:36:29 PM »

Quote from: ATB on December 20, 2007, 01:39:38 PM

I'm not reading the rest of this thread for fear of spoilers, but I finished Portal last night.

And as Ike has been saying for weeks, the last level is a thing of beauty.

Hard but not too hard. Hints in the right places. Great final puzzle. Great writing. Great narration and that ending song proves that the creators of the game are plain ol brilliant. Any chance they've put it out on mp3 for us uber geeks to DL?

I've already begun my replay to listen to the commentary...

That end song was so awesome - I loved it.

Agreed - great game!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: December 20, 2007, 06:32:23 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on December 20, 2007, 05:33:05 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on December 20, 2007, 02:08:10 PM

I want the plus to snuggle up with smile

And ATB, looks like you've been beaten to the punch (via GameDaily):

People are so dumb...

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 20, 2007, 06:39:46 PM »

Word 9, word.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: December 20, 2007, 07:42:03 PM »

also finished up portal, but that was saturday night instead.  loved the whole thing and it went by way too fast unfortunately. 
Spoiler for Hiden:
kind of a play on a theme, what with the scientists creating a machine which kills them, then the machine "creates" a person which kills the machine. 

i'll go back to play the advanced levels once i finish up uncharted.  that game is currently grabbing all of my time.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: