LOS ANGELES, Nov 14, 2023 – Darrington Press, the publishing company from the creative minds behind Critical Role, is pleased to announce the official release of the highly-anticipated Candela Obscura Core Rulebook, available at Darrington Press Guild Stores and at Critical Role shops (US, UK, CA, AU, and EU), in both a standard hardcover edition ($39.99 USD) as well as a limited edition ($59.99 USD, faux leather with an exclusive cover design, debossed and filled with metallic ink) for collectors and fans alike. Additionally, all print books come bundled with a PDF copy on Critical Role’s online shops.
View the launch trailer HEREWritten and designed by Rowan Hall and Spenser Starke, the Candela Obscura Core Rulebook includes everything you need to know to play this game of investigative horror, including rules, character options, guidance on running your own campaigns, and expansive setting information both inside and beyond the turn of the century-inspired city of Newfaire. Under the leadership of the secret society Candela Obscura, individuals of varied talents work in collaboration with their circle to investigate strange occurrences and dangerous magick, fighting back against a mysterious source of corruption and bleed. Endless occult mysteries await you in this metropolis, built atop the ruins of an ancient, fallen civilization still teeming with the remnants of powerful magick – are you ready to join the fight?Learn how to play Candela Obscura from game designer Spenser Starke HERE
Both the standard and limited edition books contain:
- 204 pages, with a satin ribbon to keep your place
- The core rules to play and create your Candela Obscura investigators and their circles
- Over 90 pages detailing the turn of the century-inspired setting of the Fairelands, and in detail the city of Newfaire and the ancient ruins beneath known as Oldfaire
- 4 full example assignments for gamemasters to dive in with their players
- Over 30 example assignments to explore far-flung corners of the Fairelands and the organizations and people operating within it
- An extensive guide to preparing for and gamemastering Candela Obscura
- Immersive, in-world ephemera and notes strewn throughout the chapters—illustrations, sketches, research notes, correspondences, advertisements, maps, and more to bring the Fairelands to lifeTop-Line Book Credits:
- Lead Game Design and Writers: Spenser Starke and Rowan Hall
- Illuminated Worlds System Design: Stras Acimovic and Layla Adelman
- Illuminated Worlds Preliminary Design: Matthew Mercer, Daniel Kwan, and Eloy Lasanta
- Original Concept Created by: Taliesin Jaffe and Chris Lockey
- Full credits available at https://darringtonpress.com/candela/Tie-in Candela Obscura dice and misc accessories are available at Darrington Press Guild Stores and at Critical Role shops (US, UK, CA, AU, and EU). Additionally, Darrington Press has partnered with Demiplane to create the official digital companion for the Candela Obscura Core Rulebook, which contains all of the Core Rulebook’s contents plus tools like a character builder and interactive character sheets, now available at candelaobscuranexus.com.
Candela Obscura: Circle of Tide & Bone, the third installment of Critical Role’s ongoing monthly horror drama utilizing the Illuminated Worlds System featured in Candela Obscura, is set to premiere on November 30 at 7pm Pacific on Critical Role’s Twitch (twitch.tv/criticalrole) and YouTube (youtube.com/criticalrole) channels, with the second episode airing on January 4, followed by the finale on January 25. This installment stars gamemaster Aabria Iyengar and players Sam Riegel, Liam O’Brien, Ashly Burch, Noshir Dala, and Gina Darling, with the all-knowing lightkeeper, Taliesin Jaffe, returning as a guiding source of truth for the audience. More information on the upcoming Candela Obscura: Circle of Tide & Bone is available at critrole.com.
A life long video gamer, Mark caught the Tabletop itch in college and has been hooked ever since. Epic two player strategy games are his favorites but he enjoys pretty much everything on the tabletop, just no Werewolf please. When he gets a break from changing diapers and reading bedtime stories he can usually be found researching new games or day dreaming about maybe one day having time for a ttrpg. Some of Mark's favorite games are Star Wars: Rebellion, A Feast for Odin, and Nemesis.