http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 07:21:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nintendo 2DS?  (Read 850 times)
Laner
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« on: August 28, 2013, 04:15:21 PM »

Had to check the calendar and make sure it wasn't April 1st.  I'd be tempted if I could fit it in my pocket.

$129, no clamshell, no 3D.  But they kept DS compatibility.  Available October 10.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-08-28-nintendo-cuts-wii-u-by-USD50-announces-2ds-handheld

« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 04:18:13 PM by Laner » Logged
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 04:20:10 PM »

That's... ugly! Made for children, perhaps?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 04:24:30 PM »

I'd spend $70 extra just to not have to lug that monstrosity around.  I guess it is part of their 'embarrass the foreigners' initiative:

And Japanese gamers don't have a choice at all; the 2DS won't be arriving in Japan when it debuts elsewhere, and Nintendo hasn't indicated when (or if) it will.

we already have Miley Cyrus, we don't need any further help.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 04:26:54 PM »

Yep, made for children with a lower price point than the various tablets (that are all muscling in on the sub $200 price point).

I'm pretty sure that the most common breaking point for DSs are the hinge.

Guess this means Nintendo is over the 3D gimmick, fun while it lasted.

Gaming handhelds, and home consoles, have been completely replaced by crappy smart phone games. It's like Japan is having it's own facebook game frenzy tied to their cell phones. Given time, they'll get over it, just like most people got over Zynga games and its ilk.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 04:29:05 PM by Turtle » Logged
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 04:36:44 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on August 28, 2013, 04:26:54 PM

Guess this means Nintendo is over the 3D gimmick, fun while it lasted.

Not necessarily.  This is launching alongside Pokemon X and Y to take advantage of the younger demographic.  The 3D that the 3DS has is bad for children’s eyes so they are offering a 3D-less option for concerned parents.

It should also be noted that this has the basic sized screens, instead of the XL that most people seem to prefer. 
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 04:55:47 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on August 28, 2013, 04:26:54 PM

I'm pretty sure that the most common breaking point for DSs are the hinge.

Most common, yes. But all of Nintendo's DSs are built like tanks. That 'common breaking point' can take a serious beating and still work year after year.

Overall though, I really don't know what to think on this. I guess it's a way to create a device that 'everyone' can play (including parents who are worried about the 3DS features killing their kids). I just know I wouldn't want to use such a thing.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 05:24:42 PM »

I would be SO IN if this were clam shell. Sigh....

(Still might be in... Damnit)

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2013, 06:21:03 PM »

This will go the way of the Game Boy Micro.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 06:30:07 PM »

Quote from: JCC on August 28, 2013, 05:24:42 PM

I would be SO IN if this were clam shell. Sigh....

(Still might be in... Damnit)

Same here.  I don't want 3d visuals but I want to be able to play 3DS games with a lower price point.  For the month or so I had a 3DS I played with the 3d slider turned off.

But that pseudo-tablet look?   confused

Give me a 2d clamshell!   Torches and Happiness!
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 10:26:51 PM »

I would think the much increased chance of screen scratching would offset the lack of breakable hinges with regards to children using it.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 01:11:26 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on August 28, 2013, 10:26:51 PM

I would think the much increased chance of screen scratching would offset the lack of breakable hinges with regards to children using it.

This. Now if it had an iPad style cover, that would be interesting.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 02:36:56 AM »

does this mean there is going to be a 2DS Circle Pad Pro?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2013, 06:05:23 AM »

Nintendo. Officially off the rocker.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2013, 12:49:03 PM »

This panel-style system doesn't appeal to me for several of the reasons already discussed here, plus I really like the 3D visuals in games like Fire Emblem: Awakening.  That said, Game Informer's Tim Turi went hands-on with the redesign at PAX and says the form factor is less awful than the photos make it appear:

Quote from: Tim Turi
Nintendo first unveiled the new 2DS system a few days ago, and it garnered a variety of reactions from the Game Informer staff. The $129 handheld strips out the 3D feature of the 3DS, features smaller screens than the XL, and drops the protective clam shell design. To me, the 2DS looked cumbersome and awkward, the opposite of what a portable device should be. After getting my hands on the device at PAX Prime 2013, I walked away surprised by how good the system feels and how compact it is.

The 2DS has screens sizes more in line with the original 3DS rather than its bigger brother, the 3DS XL. While I prefer larger screens on my handhelds, the reduced displays allow for a smaller form factor. The 2DS seems to be about a quarter smaller than the 3DS. Its lack of a hinge means the system can't fold up for easy portability, but it's much smaller than in initially appeared. The 2DS will fit well in laptop bags, purses, or the school backpacks of its intended younger audience.

-Autistic Angel
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2013, 02:47:38 PM »

It's for kids/parents who want to buy their younger kids a cheaper system for Pokemon.  The only question is whether the price difference vs a 3DS is worth a new line.  They probably need to get it a little cheaper, but maybe that's enough for some folks to grab it for their kiddos.

/edit: Looks like the price difference is more like $30-$50 depending on 3DS sale prices, which is better than my quick $20 estimate from glancing at Best Buy.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 02:52:53 PM by Freezer-TPF- » Logged

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2013, 02:59:45 PM »

Quote from: Freezer-TPF- on September 01, 2013, 02:47:38 PM

It's for kids/parents who want to buy their younger kids a cheaper system for Pokemon.  The only question is whether the price difference vs a 3DS ($20-ish?) is worth a new line.  They probably need to get it a little cheaper, but maybe that's enough for some folks to grab it for their kiddos.

$20?  It's being advertised as $129, while the non-XL is $180 on Amazon.  $50, and more durable?  Pretty compelling.  And as a parent myself, removing 3d is a selling point for something my kids will be using--I have concerns about what we'll find about the effect of extended faked 3d use on developing eyes.

As a non-parent, I'm being lured in by the lower entry point to gain access to the 3DS library.  And while I do lament the loss of the clamshell, most of my time using Nintendo portables is at home, where portability doesn't matter, or on planes and in hotels, where it doesn't matter quite as much.
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2013, 04:24:37 PM »

Yeah, my bad on the pricing--I was seeing some $150-160 3DS models on Best Buy's website but they were probably clearance/OOS.

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2013, 01:28:14 PM »

got an email about it.

My 9yr old already has a 3DS XL - otherwise I'd consider it.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: