http://gamingtrend.com
April 18, 2014, 12:05:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sin City- The Movie  (Read 1725 times)
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« on: March 28, 2005, 05:15:21 PM »

Wow.  I caught a screening of this on Friday and I and everybody I saw it with can't stop talking about it.  Rodriguez has a Pulp Fiction level hit on his hands here, and I suspect it will do incredibly well at the box office as soon as word gets out.  It is by far his best work to date and a damn fine movie.  So far the only negative review on Rotten Tomatoes basically bitches about the genre rather than the movie (ok, your'e going to complain about the lack of moral fibre of the characters in a noir film called Sin City?  what?!?!?), but I suspect it'll end up in the mid to high 90's once all the reviews come in.

Seriously a must-see movie.  I smell a sleeper hit.

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 05:48:45 PM »

Let's give props to Frank Miller as well, the creator of Sin City and co-director of the movie.  Rodriguez gave up a lot to do this movie and have Miller on as co-director (he dropped out of the DGA and lost his chance at a hot property with a huge budget).  Funny you say Pulp Fiction, because Tarantino evidently directs one of the sequences of this movie as well.

I can't wait to see it.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2005, 06:02:10 PM »

Actualy, the way I hear it, Miller actually wasn't on set co-directing so much as Rodriguez was adhering so close to the comics, pulling it almost frame by frame from them, that he felt Miller deserved the credit of co-director, which is why the DGA was saying no way.

I read an interview a few months back where he was talking about doing Madman after this, with Mike Allred in the same capacity as Frank was for this film, which I'm really damn excited about as Madman is one of my all-time faves.  There has also been discussion recently about doing another Sin City movie as well.

Rodriguez is cool as shit- I got to see him speak at SXSW a couple of years back.  A very down to earth laid-back individual whom I could see myself just hanging out with and bouncing crazy ideas off of each other till the wee hours of the morning.  I'm glad he's giving the finger to the bullshit system that Hollywood perpetuates, especially now that he's actually come out with a solid movie like this.

Mike Dunn
unbreakable
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2005, 06:23:58 PM »

I was wondering when I first heard about him quitting the DGA whether he would be hurting his carreer, but after thinking about it, Im thinking not.  Rodriguez's movies make money, and at the end of the day if that is what the people investing in your movie want, they will find a way to work things out.  The fact that Rodriguez can make a lot of money and still produce good films will just make him even more attractive as a director.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2005, 06:46:10 PM »

I saw the preview of this, and MAN I want to go see it. biggrin
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2005, 07:06:29 PM »

I've been pumped since I saw the first trailer, but I'm really surprised - and happy - that most people I know think the movie looks cool as well. I wasn't sure if the movie was going to have mass appeal, but everyone that I talk to seems to be into it. And all of the pre-release buzz is super positive, like this thread, so I'm excited.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2005, 08:37:54 PM »

I'm so looking forward to this one.  Can't wait for Sunday. It should be interesting.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2005, 08:55:29 PM »

My wife and I are both really looking forward to this one since we like weird, off-beat movies, except "Donnie Darko", even though we're middle aged. slywink

Gotta work Saturday unfortunately and have a dart tourney Saturday night. Definitely going to make time to see it, though. Jessica Alba is hot. biggrin

-Randy

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
Crowley
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2005, 09:18:48 PM »

Last I checked the 1st was a Friday, I dont know where you people are getting sat/sunday from. Unless you're doing something else on that day, which is just silly.

Oh, and the new trailer is out-

http://www.apple.com/trailers/miramax/sin_city/480_dwight_3.html

There are two things in the world I can't stand: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2005, 09:21:28 PM »

Im going to try hard to convince Kathode to go watch this first showing midnight thurs/fri.
LoneStarSpur

Glad to be old!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2005, 09:34:46 PM »

Quote from: "Crowley"
Last I checked the 1st was a Friday, I dont know where you people are getting sat/sunday from. Unless you're doing something else on that day, which is just silly.

Can you say "matinee" and "I'm a cheap sob"? slywink At least Sat. is the first one we can get to.

Nice trailer. slywink

-Randy

Fallin' feels like flyin'. For a little while. - Bad Blake
You're a funny drunk. - my wife
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2005, 10:14:26 PM »

Quote from: "Crowley"

I really want to hit the show with friends, as I  know nothing about the comic myself.  They are all 'in-the-know' about the original comic and can fill be in on the details.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2005, 12:08:40 AM »

I recently purchased the first sin city graphic novel, the one featuring Hartigan.

Man, if they're adhering to the book, then I really have to see this movie, of course I was already planning to.

I'm so ashamed, I'm studying to be an illustrator/animator and I haven't seen much of Miller's work until now.
unbreakable
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2005, 12:54:18 AM »

Quote from: "LoneStarSpur"
Can you say "matinee" and "I'm a cheap sob"? slywink At least Sat. is the first one we can get to.

I can say "matinee" because Im a poor sob  biggrin

Im working friday and saturday, but maybe I can catch it before my shifts.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2005, 04:59:23 AM »

I'm definitely going to be seeing it this weekend with some friends.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2005, 04:54:00 PM »

I can't wait to see this movie.  Just seeing jessica Alba in the previews makes it worth seeing.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
RightBastard

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2005, 12:11:38 AM »

Quote from: "th'FOOL"
It is by far his best work to date and a damn fine movie.  

Well, considering Rodrigez's past movies, this wouldn't be that hard to do.  That said, I'm crossing my fingers like heck hoping that this movie is a success.  Maybe it'll teach the studio execs that sticking to the source material ISN'T a bad thing (I'm looking at you Constantine!) and it'll convince them that doing right by the fans isn't counter to producing a hit movie.

That said, I'm sure if this thing is a big success, Hollywood will try to copy it and will inevitably find a way to screw things up.

I'll catch it after the weekend when everyone's at work.  Being in school rocks.

I am amendable to criticism but only within the sphere of what I am trying to do.
Flannery O'Connor
th'FOOL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2005, 12:32:19 AM »

Word is that Paramount is eyeing how well Sin City does this weekend to give them an indication on how they approach Watchmen- if it does do good, then perhaps we might see how more comic related films adhering much closer to their source material in the future....

Mike Dunn
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: