http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 11:41:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: iPod Video announced  (Read 1996 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« on: October 12, 2005, 06:28:25 PM »

Techincally, the name is unknown, but that best describes the features available on Apple's new iPod. From Yahoo:

Apple Computer Inc. unveiled an iPod on Wednesday that can play videos and television shows, the latest creation in its ever-evolving and hugely popular line of portable music players.

Citing a groundbreaking deal with ABC Television Group, Apple chief executive Steve Jobs said the online iTunes store will sell episodes of hit shows "Desperate Housewives" and "Lost" for $1.99 apiece, making them available the day after they air on television.

"It's never been done before, where you could buy hit TV shows and buy them online the day after they're shown," said Jobs whose other company, Pixar Animation Studios Inc. has a long relationship with The Walt Disney Co., which owns ABC.

"This is the first giant step to making more content available to more people online," said Robert Iger, Disney's chief executive. "It is the future as far as I'm concerned. It's a great marriage between content and technology and I'm thrilled about it."

The new video iPod, available in black or white, will be able to play video and podcasts. A 30-gigabyte version will sell for $299 and a 60-gigabyte, $399. Extra features on both versions include a clock, a calendar that Jobs said never looked better, a stop watch and a screen lock.

"It's really very beautiful and very thin," Jobs said at the much anticipated news conference.

Now, this is cool. Miss your favorite TV show? Just buy it for $1.99 the day after (and hopefully without commercials). A perfect price point IMHO.

And no pictures provided, unfortunately.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005, 06:41:32 PM »

It's shown on Apple's site.  It replaces the last Ipods, is thinner, has more screen and 5 more hours battery life.  30GB and 60GB versions ($299/$399).  This makes the 30GB only $50 more than the 4GB Nano.

Those numbers are based on the 60GB version, halve the numbers for the 30GB.

Here's a side shot:

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2005, 07:08:34 PM »

I got word from my boss today that since we're going to be doing video podcasts in the very near future, we'll need to purchase some of these for testing.

I just happen to be the guy in charge of podcasts slywink
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005, 08:03:54 PM »

This is pretty fascinating.  Seems to be directed right at people who torrent their favorite shows.

Is it using a proprietary video codec that can only be displayed on iPods or can anyone with iTunes buy and downlaod them?  Can it be viewed in Quicktime on the PC?  

$1.99 actualy seems to be a pretty decent pricepoint.  A full season of a show would cost approx $44 which is in the ballpark of what a set would cost on DVD.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2005, 08:21:05 PM »

They'll probably use the H.264 codec (which isn't necessarily proprietary), but I'm sure they'll be nice and DRM'ed like the iTunes music store audio.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2005, 08:28:18 PM »

If iTunes will play the shows, I foresee a new push for the Mac Mini in the living room.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2005, 08:32:13 PM »

Quote from: "Laner"
They'll probably use the H.264 codec (which isn't necessarily proprietary), but I'm sure they'll be nice and DRM'ed like the iTunes music.

Can't iTunes be burned to a CD a limiited number of times?  If so that would be fine if I could burn a show to a DVD a limited number of times.  Just wait until you have four episodes or whatever and then archive.  

Another thought- it would take a while but I wonder if this wouldn't help keep niche TV shows around.  I would expect shows with devoted fan followings to have a download rate that would proportionally much higher than more mainstream stuff and such an ancillary revenue stream might offset sagging ratings.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2005, 08:39:02 PM »

And I have a stupid question for you iPod users - can I take my current MP3 collection (ripped via WinAmp) and put them onto my iPod? I've been debating on getting the Nano, but with this announcement, I might just wait.

Then again, that is a really small video screen. And my Treo can already play lots of music and show video...

Oh, and thanks AgtFox for the link. I'm at work, so I don't exactly have the bandwith to be wandering around for pictures.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2005, 08:45:01 PM »

Yes, you can put MP3s on an Ipod along with iTunes music.  You just can't put WMAs on it (Microsoft proprietary stuff).  As for videos, I'm sure you can watch them via Quicktime through iTunes since QT is embedded in iTunes, so you can watch those on your computer screen or on a road trip.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2005, 08:48:19 PM »

Yeah the only restriction that Apple tries to impose is that they don't want you to be able to move music from the iPod to your PC.  Its easy to work around but they are trying to avod having someone go over to a buddy's house and fill his iPod with his buddy's music and then upload it to his PC.
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2005, 08:59:58 PM »

The new iPod is interesting... and they finally have a "low end" real iPod that's hit my next size point -- double my current 15GB model. I'm not quite out of space on my current iPod yet, but when the time comes, I'm totally gonna get one of these fifth generation models.

The video support is cool, but its presently a very tentative step. The files are in very low resolution, so they won't look great if blown up to, say, fill a TV screen. However, if the distribution channel works, then the only question regarding improving the resolution will be bandwidth issues.

I think that the new iMac G5 -- which includes software called Front Row that provides a 30-ft interface to iTunes, iPhoto, DVD Player and QuickTime -- is far more interesting. It's a TV-tuner away from being a true Apple Media Center. Take Front Row, spruce it up, and add it and TV-in and -out capability to a Mac Mini, and you've got Macs in the living room.

So a lot of stuff in the Apple announcement today that interests me.

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2005, 09:15:36 PM »

Can't iTunes be burned to a CD a limiited number of times? If so that would be fine if I could burn a show to a DVD a limited number of times. Just wait until you have four episodes or whatever and then archive.

Yeah, but there are still limits to what you can do with the audio... you *can* burn purchased music to a CD, but it's lower quality than a CD you buy in the store (some notice the difference, some don't), and you can't share purchased music across more than five computers.   Most people won't hit that limit, but I have...

For some reason I don't think they will be as permissive with video rights as they have been with audio (at least when it comes to full shows).  I'm not sure why, just a gut feeling.  I could very well be wrong smile

Quote from: "AgtFox"
Yes, you can put MP3s on an Ipod along with iTunes music.  You just can't put WMAs on it (Microsoft proprietary stuff)..

IIRC,  iTunes does support WMAs (by converting to MP3/AAC/etc), as long as they're not DRMed.

I'm personally curious if the Video iPods will handle old school MPEG-1... it's old, it's crusty, but it's also compatible with *everything*.   MPEG-4 and H.264 are much nicer, but I'm not looking forward to adding yet another encoding pass (for video podcasting) to my current workflow.
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2005, 09:19:34 PM »

Laner is right about WMA.

Also, individual songs on iTunes can be burned as many times as you please. The only restriction is on song-combination playlists. I believe it's 7 burns.

ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2005, 09:34:12 PM »

After seeing this I don't see th epoint of a nano.  Its $249 and 6 GB, this is 30 GB and video for $300?  The nanos must drop in price.  But these ipods keep getting better.
Fireball

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2005, 09:39:13 PM »

The nano is all about size, weight and having no moving parts. Jogging with a hard drive iPod is not a smart thing to do -- its be easiest way to destroy your iPod. The nano, however, is perfect for jogging. It's lighter, smaller and has no moving parts whatsoever. Making things smaller makes them more expensive, in many cases. There's always been a large gap regarding storage between the mini/nano iPods and the regular iPods, but both sell very well because they're aimed at different audiences.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2005, 09:44:59 PM »

Quote from: "Fireball1244"
The video support is cool, but its presently a very tentative step. The files are in very low resolution, so they won't look great if blown up to, say, fill a TV screen.

Where did you see the resolution of the files? I didn't see it in the linked article.  What resolution will they be at?

EDIT- Ah, I saw on another link the res is 320x240 or about half DVD resolution.  That's too bad.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2005, 05:33:50 AM »

The nano is all about size, weight and having no moving parts. Jogging with a hard drive iPod is not a smart thing to do -- its be easiest way to destroy your iPod. The nano, however, is perfect for jogging. It's lighter, smaller and has no moving parts whatsoever.

I read one review where they took the Nano and tried to destroy it. It didn't take long before the screen was garbage, but the device and the controls continued to work. They even ran it over once or twice.

The Meal
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2005, 04:48:50 PM »

Jogging with a hard drive iPod is not a smart thing to do -- its be easiest way to destroy your iPod.

Very emphatically disagree.

~Neal
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2005, 05:16:30 PM »

I jogged with an original iPod, and it was okay, though it skipped at times.  The iPod mini I have has been perfect though, and Apple sells armbands to let you run with it.

I'm not sure I'd want to run with the video iPod though.  The bigger the hard drives are, the more likely they are to skip I think under vibration.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2005, 05:28:58 PM »

I had a Creative Jukebox 2, 10 GB, and now I have a Creative Zen Xtra 40 GB, and I used both in the gym.  No problems with skipping or anything.  Very happy with both of them.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2005, 05:47:04 PM »

Quote from: "The Meal"
Jogging with a hard drive iPod is not a smart thing to do -- its be easiest way to destroy your iPod.

~Neal

I've run with a HD-based iPod before, and while it still works, it did skip quite a bit.  It *does * utilize tiny moving parts after all.  Though the mini does seem to be a bit more sturdy than the full size iPods in that area.

Still, I bought a nano specficially for running, just for the weight issue as well as peace of mind that I wasn't going to destroy the hard drive.  (I had a shuffle for that use, but they're crap, IMO)

I had a Creative Jukebox 2, 10 GB, and now I have a Creative Zen Xtra 40 GB, and I used both in the gym. No problems with skipping or anything.

Yeah, but was it actively being jostled? (as it would if you were running)?  If you're just walking from weight station to weight station or setting it in the treadmill cupholder, yeah, a HD player will be fine.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2005, 06:43:44 PM »

Still, I bought a nano specficially for running, just for the weight issue

Maybe you should skip running and hit the weights if you think the mini or normal iPod is too heavy  biggrin .

---
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2005, 12:48:27 AM »

Quote from: "Laner"
I had a Creative Jukebox 2, 10 GB, and now I have a Creative Zen Xtra 40 GB, and I used both in the gym. No problems with skipping or anything.

Yeah, but was it actively being jostled? (as it would if you were running)?  If you're just walking from weight station to weight station or setting it in the treadmill cupholder, yeah, a HD player will be fine.

I have something that goes around my waist that holds the MP3 player while I work out.  I usually use the elliptical, but I do use a stationary bike and treadmill.  It was being jostled around, but never skipped on me.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2005, 01:20:39 PM »

Quote from: "Scott"
Still, I bought a nano specficially for running, just for the weight issue

Maybe you should skip running and hit the weights if you think the mini or normal iPod is too heavy  biggrin .

Yeah yeah, I shoud've expected that one smile  I can easily run with the full sized iPod - It's  just a comfort issue... a few ounces strapped to my arm as opposed to nearly a pound (I have a 60GB iPod).  The lighter and less builky,
the more comfortable.  Not to mention that the armband necessary to hold a full sized iPod is huge, hot, and pretty silly looking.

You wouldn't think it would make a difference, but after running a few 5Ks with the full sized iPod, I started looking for alternatives.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2005, 06:46:32 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
Yeah the only restriction that Apple tries to impose is that they don't want you to be able to move music from the iPod to your PC.  Its easy to work around but they are trying to avod having someone go over to a buddy's house and fill his iPod with his buddy's music and then upload it to his PC.

Just get the iPod plugin for WinAmp. I don't even use iTunes. Blech. MMD3 skin on Winamp 5.x with iPod plugin, and everytin's A-o-tay!

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2005, 12:48:07 AM »

I just wish I didn't have to upgrade iTunes again.  Shit, I just want to buy a few songs.  You know, pay them cash for legal songs.  I haven't in a while and now they wouldn't sell to me until I did.

It wouldn't be that big a deal if they didn't force you to install QuickTime.  I use Quicktime Alternative and QT will undoubtedly screw around with my file associations.

No money for you today!  I'll either find the tracks elsewhere or wait until I feel like mucking around with it.

Nothing to do with the ipod video, just a good chance to moan about Apple.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2005, 07:39:42 PM »

The lighter and less builky,
the more comfortable. Not to mention that the armband necessary to hold a full sized iPod is huge, hot, and pretty silly looking.

smile  I agree.  I use the iPod mini, and wouldn't want to run with with the full iPod either.  Nano looks interesting.

---
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: