http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 10:07:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cell Phone Encyclopedia: Cell Phone Games  (Read 2364 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: April 15, 2008, 05:11:51 PM »

Update: I finally have a cell phone with some decent capabilities (early adopter I am not) and I have questions. Rather than start a new thread for each, I figured I'd consolidate and make an uber one. MicroSD are the first few questions. The rest will be other stuff. Thanks in advance to all who contribute.

---

So I have a new cell phone and it has a microSD slot.

I see prices ranging wildly on these and I wonder if they are all the same thing formatwise I mean.

Does every microSD card fit into every microSD phone? Are there things I need to be concerned about or...take into consideration?

Edit: Also what sizes would you recommend? I'm gonna have some music on the thing but not much. How much room do a normal list of contacts take up?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 12:25:29 PM by ATB » Logged
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 05:15:37 PM »

Pretty much, no, and not really. (respectively).

Speed is still going to be limited by the phones processing itself which is nowhere near the speed of the cards.
I think MicroSD's are even interchangable with the micro Sony memory cards (I know a few people who have w300i's and IIRC they're using MicroSD cards ... I could be wrong on that though).

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 05:29:44 PM »

Normal contacts will fit on the phone's built in memory.  You really only need an addon card if you want lots of apps and/or media.

gellar
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 05:30:05 PM »

I just bought a no-name 2GB Micro SD card from Office Max for $20 last week.   Been using it without a hitch for the last few days.  The 32 albums I transferred pretty much filled it up, but I think I encode my MP3's pretty high.   

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 05:33:11 PM »

The only reason you need to grab a MicroSD card is if you intend to put things like music and pictures on your phone. Contacts (and basic features that are on your phone to begin with) will easily store in whatever internal memory you have on your device (unless you keep thousands upon thousands of contacts in your phone).

The only thing you need to keep track of is if your phone supports the SDHC (SD High Density) format or not. If it doesn't, the biggest card you'll be able to toss into your device is 2GB. If it does, the sky is the limit.

To be honest, I'd grab a 2GB card (for like $20 nowadays). You don't need a ton of space, unless you want to turn your phone into an iPod or something.

EDIT: Curse you all for typing faster than I! Tongue

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 05:40:52 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on April 15, 2008, 05:33:11 PM

The only thing you need to keep track of is if your phone supports the SDHC (SD High Density) format or not. If it doesn't, the biggest card you'll be able to toss into your device is 2GB. If it does, the sky is the limit.

So if the phone is spec'd to support 8 GB, I guess that means it supports SDHC?  I see a 4 GB card for 30.00.

Is kingston a good brand?

I don't know what A-Data means either....
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 06:07:04 PM »

A-Data and Kingston are fine brands. And yeah if it says it'll do higher than 2 gig should be fine.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 06:23:53 PM »

K. I ordered the 4gb. Thanks for your help fellowz.
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 04:05:50 AM »

Quote from: Purge on April 15, 2008, 05:15:37 PM

Pretty much, no, and not really. (respectively).

Speed is still going to be limited by the phones processing itself which is nowhere near the speed of the cards.
I think MicroSD's are even interchangable with the micro Sony memory cards (I know a few people who have w300i's and IIRC they're using MicroSD cards ... I could be wrong on that though).

Umm, if you mean Sony's MemoryStick Micro or M2, then it is not compatible with MicroSD.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2008, 04:34:22 PM »

So my new phone has photo capability in that you can have a picture of someone pop up that's been associated with the number.  My question is, how do I get photos onto my phone? Obviously, there's the camera and when my memory card comes I can put them on there, but in the mean time how do I get them on there?

I have a usb connector thing for the phone, but the phone does not show up as a separate 'drive' that I can add stuff to. For example, I have to use the Vcast software to get music onto the phone- however, i don't see options to move pictures.

In short, do I have to have the picture on the phone (or taken with the camera) to use a picture or can I move photos on their directly?
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2008, 04:37:23 PM »

Quote from: ATB on April 17, 2008, 04:34:22 PM

In short, do I have to have the picture on the phone (or taken with the camera) to use a picture or can I move photos on their directly?

That all depends on the phone and your service carrier.  Verizon likes to cripple their phones' functionality, and without detailed information on the phone, it's hard to tell.  Have you tried reading the phone's manual?  That would probably answer 90% of your questions right there.
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2008, 05:00:07 PM »

So my new phone has photo capability in that you can have a picture of someone pop up that's been associated with the number.  My question is, how do I get photos onto my phone? Obviously, there's the camera and when my memory card comes I can put them on there, but in the mean time how do I get them on there?

I have a usb connector thing for the phone, but the phone does not show up as a separate 'drive' that I can add stuff to. For example, I have to use the Vcast software to get music onto the phone- however, i don't see options to move pictures.

You use the memory stick you just bought? All microSD cards come with an SD card adapter which most all new desktops/laptops have a slot for. Or you can get a microSD to USB adapter which is basically the same thing. Should be able to find one at Best Buy or something where you just put the microSD card into the USB adapter plug it in and just drag all your pictures/music and whatever onto the card. Then put it in the phone. I think the only weird thing with Verizon since Verizon is dumb is that you might have to format the SD card on your phone, if I remember right.

Would also think the Verizon software should have a way to move pictures. Even though that software sucks in general. Hate how Verizon purposely gimps there phones.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2008, 05:41:11 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on April 17, 2008, 04:37:23 PM

That all depends on the phone and your service carrier.  Verizon likes to cripple their phones' functionality, and without detailed information on the phone, it's hard to tell.  Have you tried reading the phone's manual?  That would probably answer 90% of your questions right there.

See the OP for the link to the phone.

Sky- The SD card is en route. Not in my hands yet.

Next Question: Anyone recommend a good set of bluetooth headphones?
Tokek

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2008, 05:44:25 PM »

Aliph Jawbone is a good one, you can get them for $70-ish now.

Also, I've heard good reviews about BlueAnt's Z9, which is what I'm leaning towards purchasing.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2008, 05:54:13 PM »

Quote from: Tokek on April 17, 2008, 05:44:25 PM

Aliph Jawbone is a good one, you can get them for $70-ish now.

Also, I've heard good reviews about BlueAnt's Z9, which is what I'm leaning towards purchasing.

I mean one for listening to music not to talk on the phone...?
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2008, 06:04:59 PM »

I'd say get a good set of wired ones. Haven't really heard fabulous things about wireless headsets. I haven't had any real experience with them though so I wouldn't know.

Should be able to move the pictures with bluetooth if you have a laptop or something with it. Did that with my old phone. Just connect the phone and you get a set of folders and one of them is pictures usually.

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2008, 06:12:39 PM »

Quote from: SkyLander on April 17, 2008, 06:04:59 PM

I'd say get a good set of wired ones. Haven't really heard fabulous things about wireless headsets. I haven't had any real experience with them though so I wouldn't know.

Should be able to move the pictures with bluetooth if you have a laptop or something with it. Did that with my old phone. Just connect the phone and you get a set of folders and one of them is pictures usually.

You can do that with most phones, but Verizon cripples their phones' capabilities so much, that your suggestion may not be an option.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2008, 06:25:58 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on April 17, 2008, 06:12:39 PM

Quote from: SkyLander on April 17, 2008, 06:04:59 PM

You can do that with most phones, but Verizon cripples their phones' capabilities so much, that your suggestion may not be an option.

I remember that there's some goofy way to send music and pictures to Verizon phones (if you don't have any sort of external memory) - but since you have one, I'd use that and try to get the phone to just see the files on it first.

And I also suggest a good pair of wired headphones if you intend to listen to music. No chance of interference, and it'll be one less set of batteries you'll have to keep charged.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2008, 08:28:23 PM »

My SD card has arrived.   Should the phone be off when inserting it/removing it?

How do I move items from my phone's memory to the SD card?

Also, how do I move my contacts to the SD card?

Edit: Actually, i can't get the card to show up on my pc when it's in the adapter. Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 08:37:52 PM by ATB » Logged
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2008, 10:34:06 PM »

Turns out my card reader didn't support it so I went and bought an SD card adapter and it works fine now.

Guy at BB also said that you can't transfer contacts to the SD card. What a crock a crap.
Speaker2Animals
Gaming Trend Reader

Diplomatic Kzin

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2008, 12:26:23 AM »

Go for the (over the top/ridiculous) gusto, Oakley Sunglasses Razrwire Bluetooth/Eyewear, $88 shipped at eCost.com:
http://www.ecost.com/Detail/Sunglasses/Oakley/98678H/40452765.aspx
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2008, 01:22:14 AM »

Quote from: ATB on April 19, 2008, 10:34:06 PM

Guy at BB also said that you can't transfer contacts to the SD card. What a crock a crap.

Depends exactly what phone you have if you can do that easily (or if at all). If you have a phone based on Windows Mobile, and you can install programs onto it, you can move your contacts to your SD card.

If you have a heavily locked phone (with a native OS and such), odds are against you can't do that.

In either case, I recommend Googling your phone and toss 'transfer contacts' into it to see what happens.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2008, 03:53:07 AM »

How about getting custom ringtones on a Verizon phone? 
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2008, 04:18:40 AM »

Quote from: ATB on April 20, 2008, 03:53:07 AM

How about getting custom ringtones on a Verizon phone? 

Ha. Good luck with that one. Unless you buy them from Verizon. If you want, BitPim and I'm not sure with the LG phone. Could get lucky but I doubt it will play a straight .mp3 file. Sure you'll have to hunt around to find the hoops you have to jump through to get your own file to be your ringtone. Verizon is horrible in gimping there phones and forcing you into buying those things.

Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2008, 05:39:54 AM »

ATB, go to www.howardforums.com and poke around to find the hack instructions for your phone.  Took me about twenty minutes to find the tools to unlock my Razr and re-enable file transfers (f-you Verizon!)
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2008, 02:27:31 PM »

Quote from: Biyobi on April 20, 2008, 05:39:54 AM

ATB, go to www.howardforums.com and poke around to find the hack instructions for your phone.  Took me about twenty minutes to find the tools to unlock my Razr and re-enable file transfers (f-you Verizon!)

You, sir, are my new BFF. Sorry warning!  That site is amazing. Thanks, Biyobi!  I was able to make my Portal ring tone.  And now I shall investigate other hacking options.

I'm becoming l33t!

biggrin
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2008, 02:37:37 PM »

So I can make ringtones now, but I'm not sure of the controls in Audacity.

Does anyone know how to make it skip forward or backward during playback so you don't have to listen to the whole song to get to the part where you want to snip?
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2008, 03:21:25 PM »

I figured it out.

My phone will now ring to the theme of the rockford files!
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2008, 04:19:58 PM »

Woot:

Mom: Simon and Simon Theme
Dad: Rockford Files
Sister in Law: Imperial March  icon_twisted
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2008, 05:04:16 PM »

So I read on Howardforums (HI2U BIYOBI! The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you.) that EVDO capabilities on some phones cause the battery to drain more quickly if you're on the fringe of the network.

Well, I'm not on the fringe, but when I walk into my house both the EVDO signal and the 1x signal drop to zippy.  I've also noticed that my battery life is pretty short, so I assume that my phone is expending a lot of juice trying to acquire a signal...

So what is EVDO?  Is it a better signal of some sort?  There's a hack to turn the capability off, but I'm not able to ascertain what the impact of that would be other than I couldn't use get it now or dl verizon music.

Thoughts?
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2008, 05:20:30 PM »

EVDO is the data connection for Verizon. Basically like DSL or cable for your phone.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2008, 05:24:07 PM »

Quote from: ATB on April 20, 2008, 05:04:16 PM

So I read on Howardforums (HI2U BIYOBI! The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you.) that EVDO capabilities on some phones cause the battery to drain more quickly if you're on the fringe of the network.

Well, I'm not on the fringe, but when I walk into my house both the EVDO signal and the 1x signal drop to zippy.  I've also noticed that my battery life is pretty short, so I assume that my phone is expending a lot of juice trying to acquire a signal...

So what is EVDO?  Is it a better signal of some sort?  There's a hack to turn the capability off, but I'm not able to ascertain what the impact of that would be other than I couldn't use get it now or dl verizon music.

Thoughts?

EVDO is the next generation technology that CDMA phones use for faster data speeds.  GSM phones will have UMTS as a sort of equivalent.  Although EVDO is technically 2.5G (2nd and half generation technology) while UMTS is considered 3G.  There's quite an alphabet soup of these technologies and you can spend quite a lot of time sorting through them. Short story is that EVDO will get you faster download speeds on your phone than Cingular's EDGE network or other comparable technology.

After EVDO/UMTS, the next faster technology is HSDPA (for GSM phones, that is).
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 05:26:14 PM by Teggy » Logged

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2008, 05:39:45 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on April 20, 2008, 05:24:07 PM

Short story is that EVDO will get you faster download speeds on your phone than Cingular's EDGE network or other comparable technology.

So if I'm not worried about DL speeds, I can disable it with no affect on my ability to place calls or receive them?
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2008, 06:26:24 PM »

Quote from: ATB on April 20, 2008, 05:39:45 PM

Quote from: Teggy on April 20, 2008, 05:24:07 PM

Short story is that EVDO will get you faster download speeds on your phone than Cingular's EDGE network or other comparable technology.

So if I'm not worried about DL speeds, I can disable it with no affect on my ability to place calls or receive them?

Yeah, EVDO has nothing to do with taking or placing calls. It's only for downloading or using the web on your phone.

Also AT&T uses HSDPA already, while Verizon has EVDO-Rev A I think. And both At&t and Verizon are going to LTE which is GSM for 4G data from what I understand.

Mookee
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2008, 06:27:58 PM »

Quote from: ATB on April 20, 2008, 05:39:45 PM

"The primary characteristic that differentiates an EV-DO channel from a 1xRTT channel is that it is Time Multiplexed on the forward link (from the tower to the mobile). This means that a single mobile has full use of the forward traffic channel within a particular geographic area (a sector) during a given slot of time. Using this technique, we are able to modulate each user’s time slot independently. This allows the service of users that are in favorable RF conditions with very complex modulation techniques while also serving users in poor RF conditions with simpler and more redundant signals."

DUH! slywink

I actually just disabled EVDO on my phone, ATB (not the same model you have, but I'm on Verizon), because I was having battery weirdness too and saw this as a potential fix. So far it seems fine - no trouble making outgoing calls and I can receive them. Try it!
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2008, 01:17:55 PM »

I have successfully turned off EVDO. I've also ordered an extended battery.

SUPER BATTERY LIFE IS WITHIN MY GRASPZ!
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2008, 06:27:16 PM »

This thread is like a time warp to 2005.

gellar
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2008, 07:20:18 PM »

Quote from: gellar on April 21, 2008, 06:27:16 PM

This thread is like a time warp to 2005.

gellar

Indeed.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2008, 12:26:14 PM »

I'm on the Verizon network and am considering getting a cell phone game or two.

Any recomendations on good titles? Are there any good titles?
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2008, 12:32:07 PM »

Scrabble has been my lifesaver in many a waiting room.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: