http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 08:12:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Avengers - 3D or not?  (Read 971 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« on: May 06, 2012, 08:14:53 PM »

Sorry - going tonight and didn't want to sift through the spoilers in the OT. Was this filmed with 3D in mind or should I see the regular version?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Jiffy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 08:46:20 PM »

It was filmed in 2D and post-converted, so 2D is fine. I saw it in 3D and thought for a post-conversion film the 3D was fine (but nothing special), but I didn't have a choice of 2D where I saw it.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 08:57:31 PM »

Thanks smile

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 10:05:14 PM »

2D > 3D when it's a conversion.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 12:25:10 AM »

My kid and I saw the 3D Imax and it was awesome. We sat very close to the front and were right in the middle. It was no Avatar but I thought the 3D effects were pretty good.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 01:15:49 AM »

Saw it in 3D and was surprised at how good it looked.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 01:36:59 AM »

Saw it in 3D because my friend wanted to... it looked fine, but the 3D really was, as always, not worth paying for.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 01:51:05 AM »

Saw it in 2D (Regal), 3D IMAX (AMC), 3D ETX (AMC). Thoughts:
- 2D seemed to be the brightest, sharpest image; however, most theaters aren't showing the 2D version on their largest screens. IMHO, you should see The Avengers in the biggest screen you can get to. :-)
- 3D IMAX seemed the brighter of the 3D showings I saw. But I saw some blurriness high up in the glasses that was annoying for a while. Lenses were clean, not sure what it was.
- 3D ETX (Real 3D brand) seemed sharper 3D to me, and the FX really 'popped' in 3D nicely. However, it seemed dimmer than the IMAX 3D. ETX has a massive floor to ceiling screen, that is a bit curved. I really liked it, just wish it was a bit brighter.

Another 3D observation: IMAX 3D glasses use noticeably larger lenses. I thought I'd like that but I think I found the smaller Real 3D glasses in the ETX theater more comfortable. I'm wearing them over regular eyeglasses, fwiw.

Fwiw, Whedon said he tried true 3D camera rigs when filming the post credit sequences for Thor. He seemed to indicate it was just too expensive and time consuming for the Avengers shoot.  I just read JJ Abrams agreed to post 3D conversion for Star Trek 2, after viewing some test conversion footage, but he still plans to shoot in anamorphic film (as his idol Speilberg still does).
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 12:27:25 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 09:38:59 PM »

The 3d version is the way to go IF you have a passive 3d television like an LG. sometimes the glasses wind up stuck in my pocket  ninja
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 02:20:40 AM »

Fwiw, Cinemablend attempts to answer The Question scientifically though I read it as much ado about nothing, which coincidentally is the name of Whedon's next movie!  icon_razz

To 3D Or Not To 3D: Buy The Right Avengers Ticket
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/3D-Or-3D-Buy-Right-Avengers-Ticket-30660.html
Final Verdict: To be perfectly honest, I pretty much stopped noticing the 3D in The Avengers beyond a handful of standout scenes, and that says as much about the amazing quality of the movie as the perfectly acceptable quality of the 3D. If you are really, really excited about The Avengers you may want to see it in 3D, since I really do think it has the power to suck you even further into the action. But if you want to save the cash and somehow managed to find a 2D screening, you're not going to miss a whole lot. This is the movie everyone will be talking about for weeks, though, and most people are going to see it in 3D-- maybe it's worth it just to be part of the conversation.

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2012, 03:48:01 AM »

I saw it a 4th time tonight on a Real3D screen at Regal. The theater size was a bit smallish but the screen size was fine. I found the 3D crisp and pretty bright.

I guess only thing I've discovered is I really prefer Real 3D over IMAX 3D. And while the AMC in my area has at least a couple much bigger screens (ETX and IMAX), I find I prefer the projection brightness and sound at the Regal. Frustrating, but I guess it encourages me to see stuff I really love at a variety of theater types.  icon_smile

I still had a blast, and audiences still cheered at the end even if it wasn't sold out like last week. :-)

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2012, 02:02:54 PM »

I saw it on Imax 3-d yesterday.  Looked great.  The 3-D really doesnt add a whole lot to the movie but it also wasnt over done and distracting.  On the other hand the 3-D trailer for the new Spiderman had much more noticeable effects.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2012, 02:38:56 PM »

Quote from: rshetts2 on May 12, 2012, 02:02:54 PM

I saw it on Imax 3-d yesterday.  Looked great.  The 3-D really doesnt add a whole lot to the movie but it also wasnt over done and distracting.  On the other hand the 3-D trailer for the new Spiderman had much more noticeable effects.

Probably because Spider-Man was shot in 3D.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: