http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 01:41:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone watch the CBS show "Jericho" last night?  (Read 873 times)
jblank
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« on: September 21, 2006, 01:36:39 PM »

Man, this has some real potential.

I'm gonna hold off on listing what I like because of possible spoilers, but I will tag it if you guys wanna talk about it.

I was impressed though.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
warning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 01:44:05 PM »

I was mostly impressed.  I thought it had a lot of potential to be a very creepy show.  But my biggest concern is the writing.  My wife and I literally cringed at the mayor's "let's stick together and we can defeat any enemy but don't break my heart again" speech.  Whoever wrote that should be fired on the spot.  After watching the pilot of Studio 60 and being so impressed with its snappy dialogue - Jericho's writing, both with the mayor's speech and some other instances, just struck a wrong note.

I am interested to see what happens with the prisoners from the bus.  I'd also love it if there were another town that survived and the two became competitors.  There are just so many good possibilities for this type of show.  IT kinda reminds me of The Stand by Stephen King.  I just hope they don't screw it up with cheezy dialogue.
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 01:51:16 PM »

I will partly agree with you there, but I think the writers were kind of just trying to wrap up the "community" portion of the episode, so I didn't mind that too much. One thing I absolutely DO NOT want to see is this show turn sappy. I know there will be deaths and such, thats expected, but I don't want them to dwell on that and have the show turn into a groan fest. Focus on the disaster(s), the main characters, their struggle, but don't get overdramatic too soon.

I will say that there is great potential for this to be a kind of serialized "The Day After", or it could go another route and into a more sci-fi oriented, but anyway, just focus on the disaster, and avoid having 97 plot points out there that only confuse people and make them turn it off.

Next weeks show looks good with the fallout/radiation problem starting.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 02:49:02 PM »

I watched it and liked it (which means it will be cancelled).  I kinda chuckled when I saw who was playing the mayor (the guy who played Hearst in Deadwood)-  he wasn't out of work very long.  I hope they don't draw out explanations of what happened like they do in Lost. I understand the 2nd episode is going to be fairly action packed.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Mattc0m

Hardcore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 03:07:40 PM »

Damnit, I heard it was crummy so I skipped it. I'm looking foward to Shark... don't know why, really, but it seems interesting, although potentially very stupid.

matt "mattc0m" richards
new project: GamesCast TV: eSports Television
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2006, 03:09:57 PM »

I'm mildly interested. There is nothing else in that time slot I care about at this point, so I'll keep it on the record list and see what happens. I'm not too hopeful though.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2006, 03:50:17 PM »

I set my TiVo to record it; have not yet watched it.  According to a review on TV Guide, with the second episode the writing falls apart and it ends up being kind of 'blah'. 

I'll watch the pilot in the next day or two and see what I think...

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2006, 03:54:03 PM »

Quote from: JLu on September 21, 2006, 03:50:17 PM

I set my TiVo to record it; have not yet watched it.  According to a review on TV Guide, with the second episode the writing falls apart and it ends up being kind of 'blah'. 

I'll watch the pilot in the next day or two and see what I think...

I remember in 1993 TV Guide saying the same thing about an obscure show on Fox, airing in the worst time slot possible, involving all sorts of bizarre events. They called it one of the worst new shows on TV that year. The shows name? The X-Files.

I'm gonna stick with Jericho, unless it just completely deteriorates, or it gets canned.

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2006, 05:23:07 PM »

Quote from: Mattc0m on September 21, 2006, 03:07:40 PM

Damnit, I heard it was crummy so I skipped it. I'm looking foward to Shark... don't know why, really, but it seems interesting, although potentially very stupid.

They're replaying the pilot on Saturday at 8:00 PM EST.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2006, 06:16:26 PM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on September 21, 2006, 05:23:07 PM

Quote from: Mattc0m on September 21, 2006, 03:07:40 PM

They're replaying the pilot on Saturday at 8:00 PM EST.

Cool... totally forgot this was on, so I'm pretty happy I get a 2nd chance to catch it.

Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2006, 07:47:30 PM »

I thought it was failry interesting, but some of the dialogue could be smarter. For example, I understood why the kid saw the one lady as a mother figure, but I thought the, "Anything for you" line was carrying it a little far.  I'll watch it for another couple episodes and see where it goes.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 10:41:41 AM »

Well I just finished the first season of Jericho.  Pretty good stuff.  I don't really like the way the first season ended but it was ok I guess.  The relationships between the different characters really help to make the show.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 01:06:26 PM »

Necro thread rises...

Anyway, I really liked the show.  It was silly, stupid at times and had some truly bad actors but it was different and I watched it all.  If you've seen all of Season 1 then you need to go to the short Season 2.  It will answer a lot of questions, give some closure and also let Texas kick a little ass (not a spoiler since Texas always kicks some ass  ninja)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: