http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 05:21:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [movie] Sucker Punch  (Read 4327 times)
hepcat
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2011, 06:18:33 PM »

The lack of any real advanced buzz from critics has me a little scared.  

p.s. but i'm already planning on seeing it saturday.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2011, 06:28:24 PM »

Quote from: Soulchilde on March 23, 2011, 06:15:50 PM

This comes out Friday.  Anyone in?  I plan to see it on Saturday

Going to try to catch it Saturday with a couple of friends.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2011, 06:35:19 PM »

probably going to see in it IMAX on Saturday.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2011, 07:23:33 PM »

I plan to see it...someday.

I hope it doesn't suck.  It looks really good.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2011, 08:37:31 PM »

Got a date to see it on IMAX on Sunday.   icon_cool

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2011, 09:02:26 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on March 23, 2011, 08:37:31 PM

Yeah, about that, I have to cancel.  It's not me, it's you.

Because I can,
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2011, 10:53:14 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 23, 2011, 09:02:26 PM

Quote from: Chaz on March 23, 2011, 08:37:31 PM

Yeah, about that, I have to cancel.  It's not me, it's you.

Our date was for after the movie, Lovecakes.

Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2011, 05:00:20 PM »

I'm going to catch this Friday night.  Wasn't planning to, but my friend was buying tickets so I caved.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
theohall

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2011, 08:30:10 PM »

I'll go see it tomorrow morning.  smile  Critics seem to hate it for now.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2011, 09:33:30 PM »

Quote from: theohall on March 24, 2011, 08:30:10 PM

Critics seem to hate it for now.

Which means for the rest of us, it's going to be awesome.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2011, 09:37:01 PM »

From the reviews it looks like if you just go into it looking for a spectacle rather than a real coherent or "meaningful" plot you should enjoy it. No one is saying the action and such isn't good.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2011, 10:41:41 PM »

I know exactly what I'm going to get: ROBOT SAMURAI WITH M-FING MINIGUNS AND CHICKS WITH SWORDS!  Beyond that, I'm less picky.  There are plenty of movies with fleshed out characters and intricate plots.  I'm more than happy to sometimes watch a movie that exists for no other reason than pure visual spectacle.

Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2011, 12:23:05 AM »

Kurt Loder's review

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2011, 04:11:10 AM »

Watched it tonight, and although it's somewhat problematic, I enjoyed 'Sucker Punch'. It's tremendously well-visualized. Zack Snyder has an amazing eye for action sequences. Where the movie comes up short is the plot and characterization. You watch it and will be left reeling with changes in place and the many plot holes in the flick. But the thing I liked is how the movie really fudged with 'psychological space' from scene to scene depending on the mood of the girls. At first, it makes no sense, but later in the film, it all gelled for me. The movie is wildly experimental, and I'm not surprised that the critics are disliking it. Yet, it won me over. What it needs is a good director's cut on BluRay down the line, where they'll put all the missing scenes there. Not a terrible flick, but not a great one either. I think some here will enjoy it.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 02:50:13 PM by PR_GMR » Logged
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2011, 11:59:05 AM »

I thought it was OK, but pretty forgettable.  Action scenes were the best part, especially the first one.  In retrospect, I would have waited for DVD to see it, but I don't feel robbed of my $15.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2011, 08:39:19 PM »

Didn't have a chance to go today so I'll try to catch early next week.  From reviews, I'm getting the feeling that Snyder is one of those directors who shouldn't actually write their own movies.  There are some film makers who are excellent story tellers (Guillermo Del Toro and Peter Jackson, for example), and there are some who are just very good at telling other's stories.  Perhaps he's one of the latter?

In any case, a little spectacle without substance is good for a body every now and again.   icon_biggrin
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 08:44:14 PM by hepcat » Logged

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2011, 08:56:28 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on March 26, 2011, 04:11:10 AM

Watched it tonight, and although it's somewhat problematic, I enjoyed 'Sucker Punch'. It's tremendously well-visualized. Zack Snyder has an amazing eye for action sequences. Where the movie comes up short is the plot and characterization. You watch it and will be left reeling with changes in place and the many plot holes in the flick. But the thing I liked is how the movie really fudged with 'psychological space' from scene to scene depending on the mood of the girls. At first, it makes no sense, but later in the film, it all gelled for me. The movie is wildly experimental, and I'm not surprised that the critics are disliking it. Yet, it won me over. What it needs is a good director's cut on BluRay down the line, where they'll put all the missing scenes there. Not a terrible flick, but not a great one either. I think some here will enjoy it.

Your quick review sounds exactly like what I expected from this movie.  Im in no real hurry to see it at the theatres but if I dont Ill definitely catch it on bluray.

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2011, 11:00:57 PM »

I have pretty similar thoughts... It was somewhere in between my expectations and reviews. Clearly not perfect, but I thought the story made sense for the most part (or more than the reviews make it sound), and the action was enjoyable. Slower start than I expected though based on reviews.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2011, 04:44:20 PM »

Went to a midnight show Thursday and left with mixed feelings. The visual spectacle was amazing, as expected, but I was underwhelmed by the story. The music was easily the highlight of the film for me, with some amazing covers of songs I already enjoy. I snagged the soundtrack the next morning and was shocked to find that Emily Browning (Baby Doll) sang three of the tracks. Oddly enough, the more I listen to the soundtrack, the more I think I the film was better than I realized. I think a good chunk of the story is told in song, which shouldn't surprise me as I felt more story was expressed in the no-dialogue opening sequence than the entire remainder of the film. The tracks that Browning sings, in particular, have me thinking about this film far more than I ever expected to, and thinking there may be more depth to the film than the current edit of its too-simple story is able to communicate.

The film has the Inception, world within a world within a world thing going. Plus there's the problem of having an unreliable narrator. Here's my take on what's actually happening...

Spoiler for Hiden:
World 1: The bookends. Baby Doll's incarceration and lobotomy are reality. It's the glimpses of menial labor, being abused and raped, and crying yourself to sleep. This place sucks.
World 2: The brothel. This is Sweet Pea's version of reality, the story she tells herself to keep from dealing with the horrors of what's actually going on. Sure, it still sucks, but there's a modicum of glitz and glamour that make things not suck quite so much.
World 3: The fight scenes. This is where Baby Doll retreats as she's abused by the males in the asylum. Rather, Sweet Pea's version of Baby Doll's defense mechanism. We'll get back to that.

I think that last sequence between Blue and Baby Doll solidifies alot of this for me. There's the implication that he and the others have been abusing and raping her the entire five days it took for the Doctor to show up. Baby Doll's "hypnotic dancing" within Reality 2 is Sweet Pea's self-defence mechanism masking a staff of depraved individuals taking advantage of "fresh meat". This is why we never see the dancing and instead escape into Baby Doll's defense mechanism. She's imagining herself leading the other girls to wage war against creepy foes, because that is, in a sense, what she's doing. She's sacrificing her body as a distraction in order to procure the elements of the escape plan.

Oddly enough, this film has been sold with a "women empowerment" message, but I think if you look beyond them kicking ass in a dubious reality, there's little empowerment here.

First, three out of five die and one gets lobotomized. That's a great slogan, there. "Fight the man! 30% of you will get free!"

Second, Sweet Pea is narrating the story and is perhaps the weakest-willed of them all. Though she sees Baby Doll making sacrifices for the team, Sweet Pea is so subjugated and insecure that she can't fathom her self-proclaimed "angel" getting power from within herself. So she gets marching orders from a mystical male mentor. A mentor who just happens to take on the characteristics of Sweet Pea's bus-driving savior in the outside world. Instead of learning to stick up for herself, fight the man, and show some defiance, she sits back and lets someone with a penis talk her out of a jam. Puts the GRR! in girl, don't it?

The only character we see even remotely fight the system and exact any sort of revenge on her brutal male overlords, has to sacrifice her mind in order to make it happen. It's a choice she willingly makes, which sort of rocks for that grrl power thing, but  the lyrics of the song that plays during this sequence suggest she's tired of fighting and ready to atone for accidentally killing her sister.

Anyway, I've rambled enough. I'm still digesting the film, and think another viewing with some of these concepts in mind might clarify what the film is trying, and failing, to tell me on first viewing. There's definitely more substance there to be explored, I just question whether it ultimately tells the story Snyder wanted it to. At the very least a director's commentary on the DVD should be enlightening. Either it'll clarify Snyder's intent outright and clear up misconceptions, or it'll be so full of "how we did this" that it proves lack of depth by omission.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2011, 01:43:30 AM »

Saw it last night and was bored throughout, even during some of the action sequences. I do not need to see every single bullet coming out of a machine gun in slow motion. That was pretty much the consensus with the friends who went to see the movie with me.
faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2011, 02:28:39 AM »

Saw it with friends friday night.  None of us really liked it much.  The action scenes were awesome to look at, but the story / dialog / acting seemed so poor that it hurt the movie over all.  My friend said:  "I feel like part of that movie was awesome, and during all the other parts I got Sucker Punched"

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2011, 02:17:35 PM »

I saw this Saturday and while I enjoyed the action sequences the overall story telling was mediocre.  I understood what the director was trying to do, but his execution was poor.  Maybe, with a better cast or director it would have worked.   

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2011, 03:09:38 PM »

I was going to take the squeenager yesterday but she wasn't feeling well. It appears we didn't miss much. Despite the reviews I still want to see it. UGH! I think I am addicted to bad movies.

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2011, 06:19:13 PM »

I've said it before, but one of the best times I've ever had in a theater was Battlefield Earth.  I was in awe of the awfulness being shown up there on that screen and couldn't stop laughing.  I'm still waiting on a sequel...

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2011, 06:34:55 PM »

I saw it and while I definitely enjoyed many aspects of the movie, I did find myself a bit disappointed all in all.  I found the Inception-like layering a bit tedious and confusing, maybe a tad over the top or over-reaching.  I would have preferred just a simpler structure, though Crayola's interpretation helps make it all a bit more palatable.  I don't agree with some of his interpretation but I like his core description of the layering, it actually helps make me like the story/plot better.

Ultimately I think the problem with this movie is it has a hard time deciding what it wants to be.  It's marketed from previews as a fun, visual extravaganza action piece.  But once you start watching you start to wonder, is this really just a sexy tease flick with 5 super hot chicks clad in slutty outfits?  One of those last second "twist" movies?  A super action comic book flick?  Or a serious investigation of the human mind and how it deals with adversity and reality escapism?   I understand not every movie needs to be categorized some way, but I also felt like the fun, video-game like action sequences were almost too enjoyable, making them incongruous from the main plot and in that sense almost a distraction to the depressing reality of the main story. 

To me, it felt like it was really close to being a really special movie, but maybe just went a bit overboard in some sense.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 29, 2011, 02:47:58 PM »

I saw it last night at an Imax theater.  I thought it was entertaining.  It certainly wasn't a disaster in my opinion.  The story may be a little weak at times, but I don't believe we're in M. Night Shamalalamadingdong territory just yet.  I'll have to go back and read some of the reviews to see what the main complaints were.

However, I timed it and if you actually speed the slow mo scenes up to normal speed, the movie is only 23 minutes long.

Also, I'd like to add that Josh Groban is Josh Groban and The Pixies are The Pixies for a reason.  
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 03:00:49 PM by hepcat » Logged

Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 29, 2011, 02:56:32 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on March 29, 2011, 02:47:58 PM

However, I timed it and if you actually speed the slow mo scenes up to normal speed, the movie is only 23 minutes long.
icon_lol

Why does it seem like action movies take the two extremes? Either everything is slowed way down or is sped up with close shaky cams to such a point that you can't tell what the hell is going on. We're getting mixed messages about the nature of reality.

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2011, 03:07:46 PM »

It's all in whether you take the red pill or the blue pill that determines your outlook on reality.

I saw it Saturday night and it was everything I expected it to be.  I didn't have any issues following the different levels, enjoyed the heck out of the visuals, and thought it was a great way to spend a couple hours.

I think it could have been excellent if they had decided to go for an R rating out of the gate.   I have high hopes that there will be an Unrated Director's Cut that will have some more adult-themed elements.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 29, 2011, 03:22:54 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on March 29, 2011, 03:07:46 PM

I think it could have been excellent if they had decided to go for an R rating out of the gate.   I have high hopes that there will be an Unrated Director's Cut that will have some more adult-themed elements titties.

FTFY  icon_wink
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 29, 2011, 03:26:15 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on March 29, 2011, 03:22:54 PM

I think it could have been excellent if they had decided to go for an R rating out of the gate.   I have high hopes that there will be an Unrated Director's Cut that will have some more adult-themed elements titties.

FTFY  icon_wink

I've found this disturbing in the past when you "fixed" Toy Story 3, Nanny McPhee Returns and Marmaduke.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 29, 2011, 03:29:03 PM »

The lady and I agreed that after the sex scene in Watchmen, we were both disappointed that Sucker Punch missed a perfectly good opportunity for some hot girl-on-girl.  Curse you, PG-13! 

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 29, 2011, 03:31:49 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on March 29, 2011, 03:26:15 PM

Quote from: rickfc on March 29, 2011, 03:22:54 PM

FTFY  icon_wink

I've found this disturbing in the past when you "fixed" Toy Story 3, Nanny McPhee Returns and Marmaduke.

just wait until you see what he does with the Smurfs movie.

Because I can,
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 29, 2011, 03:34:17 PM »

Also, I'd like to add that Josh Groban is Josh Groban and The Pixies are The Pixies for a reason.  

Does Josh Groban do a Pixies cover in this movie? It's not listed on the soundtrack.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 29, 2011, 03:38:51 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on March 29, 2011, 03:34:17 PM

Does Josh Groban do a Pixies cover in this movie? It's not listed on the soundtrack.

The actress playing Baby Doll does a ballad version of Where Is My Mind early in the film.  I was using Groban's name more as an example of that style.  The version in the film just sucks every ounce of brilliance out of the song and turns it into something you would expect at one of his concerts. 

rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 29, 2011, 03:41:27 PM »

I'm actually very surprised at the overall tame reaction on the board. I would have thought this movie to be more polarizing like some other movies that will not be mentioned.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 29, 2011, 03:51:08 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on March 29, 2011, 03:38:51 PM

Quote from: Teggy on March 29, 2011, 03:34:17 PM

The actress playing Baby Doll does a ballad version of Where Is My Mind early in the film.  I was using Groban's name more as an example of that style.  The version in the film just sucks every ounce of brilliance out of the song and turns it into something you would expect at one of his concerts.  

Ah, interesting. On a related yet unrelated note, I think the use of that song as the credits start to roll in Fight Club may be the best use of any song in any movie EVAR.

edit: oh, actually it is listed on the Soundtrack, but by someone named "Yoav".

edit 2: that's actually an interesting soundtrack - lots of covers including Emily Browning singing The Smith's "Asleep".
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 03:56:32 PM by Teggy » Logged

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 29, 2011, 04:01:08 PM »

Yoav is a band and I just did a quick search for Emily Browning and Yoav and found the listing for Where Is My Mind by Yoav featuring Emily Browning.  I think they featured her voice on a few songs in the film.  I have no problem with her singing, just the arrangement of some of the songs.

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 29, 2011, 06:25:06 PM »

It's all in whether you take the red pill or the blue pill that determines your outlook on reality.

I saw it Saturday night and it was everything I expected it to be.  I didn't have any issues following the different levels, enjoyed the heck out of the visuals, and thought it was a great way to spend a couple hours.

I think it could have been excellent if they had decided to go for an R rating out of the gate.   I have high hopes that there will be an Unrated Director's Cut that will have some more adult-themed elements.

Me too!

Just curious, did you agree completely with Crayola's explanation of the levels? 
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 29, 2011, 06:29:49 PM »

Honestly, I'm not sure why there's some confusion about the levels.  I thought the function of, and actions within, each stage was fairly self-evident.  It wasn't nearly as complex as Inception's use of the subconscious. 

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 29, 2011, 11:30:08 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on March 29, 2011, 06:29:49 PM

Honestly, I'm not sure why there's some confusion about the levels.  I thought the function of, and actions within, each stage was fairly self-evident.  It wasn't nearly as complex as Inception's use of the subconscious.  

Did you read Crayola's spoiler above?  He interpreted it slightly different than I did in terms of perspective.  I'm curious if that was the "obvious" interpretation and I just missed it.

Spoiler for Hiden:
World 1: The bookends. Baby Doll's incarceration and lobotomy are reality. It's the glimpses of menial labor, being abused and raped, and crying yourself to sleep. This place sucks.
World 2: The brothel. This is Sweet Pea's version of reality, the story she tells herself to keep from dealing with the horrors of what's actually going on. Sure, it still sucks, but there's a modicum of glitz and glamour that make things not suck quite so much.
World 3: The fight scenes. This is where Baby Doll retreats as she's abused by the males in the asylum. Rather, Sweet Pea's version of Baby Doll's defense mechanism. We'll get back to that.

World 1 is pretty clear, beginning with the shooting and Baby Doll's reality.  My question is whether the whole thing is told/narrated by Sweet Pea, just recounting what you presume Baby Doll told her happened?  Not that it matters that much.

World 2 is where I kind of lost or missed something or have questions.  It never occurred to me that the brothel reality was manifested from Sweet Pea.  That's my main question, was this an obvious plot point that I missed?  I left to get some food for a couple minutes so it's possible I missed something.  

World 3 was of course the fight sequences that represented something else in both World 1 and 2.  Again whose perspective they are told/originated from is my question/confusion.

I watched the whole thing assuming the reality layers were all in Baby Doll's head/perception, and then I thought the whole "sucker punch" (to the audience more or less) was the twist that the story was actually Sweet Pea's.  I didn't extend that to thinking the entire movie was SP's perspective, but maybe that makes more sense, and it was obvious to everyone else?
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: