http://gamingtrend.com
November 22, 2014, 12:35:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [movie] Cabin in the Woods  (Read 4410 times)
hepcat
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2012, 05:53:03 PM »

I'm hoping that Whedon had a hand in that trailer's release.  If so, I'm betting he's screwing with us and that there will be even more surprises in the film.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2012, 08:47:35 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on April 09, 2012, 05:53:03 PM

I'm hoping that Whedon had a hand in that trailer's release.  If so, I'm betting he's screwing with us and that there will be even more surprises in the film.

This is what I'm anticipating as well.

Quote from: hepcat on April 09, 2012, 04:51:55 PM

There's something to be said about going to a movie by yourself, getting a huge ass bucket of popcorn roughly the size of North Dakota and a pepsi that could safely hold Lake Michigan, finding the comfiest seat in the house and then putting up your feet for 90 minutes or so.  I'm just sayin'.   icon_wink

While I agree, and have done just that, there is also something to be said about going to a unique, one-of-a-kind type of film with a friend and experiencing something amazing together.  The only thing better than experiencing it is being able to discuss it or at least have a bond with someone who experienced it with you.

Still, if I can't get anyone to join me, that isn't going to keep me out of the theater.  I will see this film.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2012, 10:43:10 PM »

Wait.  Joss Whedon? This Friday? I have Monday off but the gf (who wouldn't want to watch even a pseudo-horror) doesn't? Huge tub of popcorn and giant soda? This sounds like an AMAZING PLAN!  biggrin

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2012, 10:47:27 PM »

Meh, the trailer just starting getting airplay in my city and I can't say I'm very impressed with what I see. This will definitely be a film I wait for reviews and impressions 1st.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2012, 11:12:39 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on April 09, 2012, 10:47:27 PM

Meh, the trailer just starting getting airplay in my city and I can't say I'm very impressed with what I see. This will definitely be a film I wait for reviews and impressions 1st.

Well, a couple of months back, Entertainment Weekly created a special sidebar for it under the heading of something like: "A Movie We Can't Wait For You to See".

And currently, the film is at 93% on RottenTomatoes with 29 reviews in already.

Feel free to wait, but given the pre-buzz on this and the folks involved, I don't see a reason to do that.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2012, 05:16:21 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on April 09, 2012, 08:47:35 PM

Quote from: hepcat on April 09, 2012, 05:53:03 PM

I'm hoping that Whedon had a hand in that trailer's release.  If so, I'm betting he's screwing with us and that there will be even more surprises in the film.

This is what I'm anticipating as well.

I think this is the case.  From the opening paragraph of Ebert's review (no spoilers, don't worry):

You're not going to see this one coming. You might think you do, because the TV ads and shots at the top reveal what looks like the big surprise — and it certainly comes as a surprise to the characters. But let's just say there's a lot more to it than that.

I didn't read any further because I realized he was about to start giving away some minor plot points and I want to go into this without even that much knowledge.  Tomorrow after work I'm going to try and catch a late matinee.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 05:21:45 PM by hepcat » Logged

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2012, 06:17:58 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on April 09, 2012, 10:47:27 PM

imho, the marketing problem is that if you have a movie that totally hinges on a "great twist," you just can't give it away in the trailers. The trailers for "The Sixth Sense" couldn't yell (on the off-hand chance someone here never saw it)
Spoiler for Hiden:
"HEY! Bruce Willis talks to DEAD PEOPLE!!! Isn't that WILD?????"
They had to play up other aspects of the story instead.

Contrast that with M. Night Shammy's shabby latest, "Devil," where the marketing was pretty much "HEY! Bunch of people you don't give a damn about trapped on an elevator and ONE OF THEM IS THE DEVIL! Isn't that WILD?" The movie was so thin, they just had nothing else to play up in its marketing.

Anyway though, if the masses just see Cabin in the Woods (in terms of trailers/clips etc.) as another stupid, tired "teens in peril" horror flick, they're not going to bother with it, even if the Twist somehow "redeems" it. So that seems like the marketing challenge -- is the rest of the movie worth sitting through to reach the "twist."
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 06:21:21 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2012, 07:14:47 PM »

I've gotta go on blackout on this. I don't want to know anything more, and hopefully I get to see it on the second weekend when my wife is away.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2012, 07:29:19 PM »

I saw the trailer and thought : ooo, look- Animus!

I suppose I could give it a shot - as long as it isn't another Serenity.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2012, 07:31:17 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on April 12, 2012, 07:14:47 PM

I've gotta go on blackout on this. I don't want to know anything more, and hopefully I get to see it on the second weekend when my wife is away.

I predict:

Cabin in the Woods - decent

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2012, 07:31:44 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on April 12, 2012, 07:14:47 PM

ditto.  i'm avoiding all reviews until I see it.

Quote from: Purge on April 12, 2012, 07:29:19 PM

I suppose I could give it a shot - as long as it isn't another Serenity.

You don't want Cabin in the Woods to be awesome?   icon_confused

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2012, 04:39:27 PM »

Just saw it.  Pretty great.  The stuff we were worried about as spoilers are basically revealed in the opening sequence.  Loved the title splash, BTW.

There is a spoiler, though.  
Spoiler for Hiden:
Fran Kranz lives!

A couple of twists, but nothing you probably couldn't guess as the movie is going along.

But it's a lot of fun.

Didn't love the ending, though.  If it leads to a kick ass sequel, it'll be better, retroactively, but I don't think they're going for that.  Didn't ruin the movie, at least.
Spoiler for Hiden:
The nihilistic view didn't fit the movie.  Yeah, the baddies were bad, but the kids were good.  Hell, even the ones who got killed were pretty noble.  What did the "egghead" do to deserve his fate, exactly?  Also, what happened to the good spirited security guard?  I was expecting that to go somewhere.  Even the girl zombie was potential evidence of the deserved good of humanity.

Not that I was expecting the ancient gods to feel that way, but the heroes' attitude at the end just didn't fit what had come before.

Also, I was expecting Fran Kranz to be the virgin.

Thumbs up, though.  I had a blast.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 05:38:00 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2012, 07:58:47 PM »

2 1/2 hours and counting.  got my popcorn bib on and everything.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2012, 08:06:34 PM »

Anyone got a link to a spoiler filled review or plot summary?  I don't really like horror movies so I know I won't go see it but I do have this morbid fascination about reading bout the stories.  All the reviews I have read say "I don't want to spoil it" or "No spoilers in this review" well I want that!

So can somebody spoil me please?

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2012, 08:11:50 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on April 13, 2012, 07:58:47 PM

2 1/2 hours and counting.  got my popcorn bib on and everything.

Wish I could join you.  The wife leaves for South Korea in two weeks and will be gone for three, so I'll have plenty of time to entertain myself in various ways, including my usual "hookers and blow" celebration that has become customary for unsupervised periods when the wife is away for business, but I also plan to catch a screening of Cabin.  Hopefully I can convince a friend to join me, but if not, I still plan to see it at some point.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2012, 08:26:45 PM »

To be fair, I always have a bib on.  You never know when food will present itself so one should always be on the ready.

Think this week I'll also catch a weekday late matinee for Lockout too.  I'm gonna work that bib like a fiddle.

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2012, 08:46:07 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on April 13, 2012, 08:26:45 PM

To be fair, I always have a bib on.  You never know when food will present itself so one should always be on the ready.

You can't fault someone for being prepared.  My wife's close friend and coworker once met us for dinner with his two kids at a BYOB, and the kids (who are in college), who have seen me throw back beers with their dad before and know of my mythical tolerance, were completely shocked that I showed up with a cooler full of ice and beer.  While this is common for a BYOB restaurant, they were apparently unfamiliar with such an image.  Ultimately they interpreted it as me being "prepared."  So prepared that I brought my own beer including enough extra for their dad. 

Think this week I'll also catch a weekday late matinee for Lockout too.  I'm gonna work that bib like a fiddle.

I want to see Lockout, but reviews have been discouraging.  I know, we all typically try to look past negative reviews and make an honest attempt at blissful enjoyment of the art of film, but sometimes reviews act as a reasonable indicator of a film's mediocrity.  I instead hope to catch a matinee of 21 Jump Street as reviews have been unexpectedly positive and with my current medical struggles I could use a good laugh.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2012, 09:03:36 PM »

This is the only good review of Lockout I have seen

Remember when action movies were fun, slick, fast-paced and centered on a lovable muscle-bound jerk with a quip for every occasion? Lockout does — the new "space prison" movie, out today, feels like it was filmed in 1987 and somehow preserved in a vault for the past 25 years. If you miss the days of classic Schwarzenegger and Kurt Russell films, then Lockout will be a total joy to behold.

This movie throws logic and realism so far out the airlock, you can see them flying off into interstellar space, while Snow is violating the laws of physics and good sense. Some major plot points that happen in the second half of the movie are so ludicrous that you'll be either groaning or shrieking with laughter. I opted for the latter, and I was laughing every few moments in this film. Between the cornball dialogue and the totally nonsensical plot twists, this film kept me beyond diverted.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2012, 12:43:27 AM »

Okay, just got back.  In a word, fantastic.  It's pure entertainment.  I burst out laughing within the first 3 minutes of the movie at the way the title of the film suddenly appeared.  I don't know how one can review the film without giving away too much of the story, so I'll just give it my two enthusiastic thumbs straight up.  It's an original and fun take on horror films that any fan of the genre should run to see.  I don't think I've laughed that hard at a horror film since Sam Raimi made the Evil Dead series.

P.S. Bradley Whitford owns this film from start to finish.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 12:49:49 AM by hepcat » Logged

Ænima
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2012, 03:39:50 AM »

Would someone who doesn't like horror movies like it? I love me some Whedon, but don't watch horror flicks due to not digging gore, and hating that thing they do when things get quiet and then they blast sound at you so you're scared.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2012, 04:32:36 AM »

There's quite a bit of gore but it's usually presented in a non gratuitous manner.  Often it accompanies a good joke.  As for cheap horror film tricks, this movie thrives on pointing out how stupid they are in a hilarious manner.

I know I keep referring to it as if it's purely a comedy, but it really is a good horror film at it's heart...and a very original one at that.

Did I mention how great Bradley Whitford is?

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2012, 02:19:14 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on April 14, 2012, 04:32:36 AM

There's quite a bit of gore but it's usually presented in a non gratuitous manner.  Often it accompanies a good joke.  As for cheap horror film tricks, this movie thrives on pointing out how stupid they are in a hilarious manner.

I know I keep referring to it as if it's purely a comedy, but it really is a good horror film at it's heart...and a very original one at that.

I don't know about the non-gratuitous part.  The first murder is pretty grisly, and it gets over the top gratuitous by the end.  That last bit is so over the top, that I doubt most would find it disturbing, but you never know.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2012, 02:34:59 AM »

In my opinion, the gore was so over the top that it served a purpose as comic relief.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 02:49:30 AM by hepcat » Logged

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2012, 03:18:13 PM »

it's only estimates right now, but it looks like Cabin ended up in third place, beat by The Hunger Games and...... The Three Stooges.

I blame Kate Upton in a bikini.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2012, 04:41:15 PM »

How would you compare it to Shaun of the Dead as far horror/comedy is concerned?
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 16, 2012, 04:58:09 PM »

Shaun is more raw comedy.  CitW is more subtle parody leading to absurdist humor. 

In terms of the genre trappings, you're going to get a good bit more horror/gore from CitW, but a lot of it is held at arms' length.

If you're not at least passing familiar with what has come before (and I am, at best, merely familiar), you're not going to find the humor there.  This is not a gateway horror movie, it's a love letter to the genre and the fans that keep it in business. 

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 16, 2012, 05:11:03 PM »

Quote from: rickfc on April 16, 2012, 04:41:15 PM

How would you compare it to Shaun of the Dead as far horror/comedy is concerned?

'Cabin In The Woods' humor is very meta. It's a very smart, witty and ironic deconstruction of the modern horror film. I would say that 'Shaun Of The Dead' was more absurdist.

I very much enjoyed CitW. Watched it lastnight. I was a bit dissapointed at first because all the hype I read made it seem like a straightforward horror film, but it's a very whipsmart horror comedy. I would like to sit thru it again so I can get take in more of the dialogue and references. It's a fast-paced, bloody-fun horror comedy.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 16, 2012, 05:46:48 PM »

Hmmm...most of the hype I saw explicitly stated it wasn't really a full on horror film, but more of a play on horror films. 

Last night I was thinking about CitW and it struck me that while Scream was a deconstruction of the horror standby, the slasher film;  CitW is more of a deconstruction of the genre of horror as a whole.  The tool it sometimes uses to do so is humor.

Shaun of the Dead, on the other hand, is just a great horror-comedy along the lines of the Evil Dead series.

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2012, 12:57:24 AM »

Saw this yesterday.

Super funny.  Pretty smart.

Overall, great!
faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 21, 2012, 04:53:04 PM »

Saw this last night and really can't recommend it enough.   Would love to say much much more , but this movie needs to be seen and not spoiled smile   Go see it !

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: April 22, 2012, 04:36:43 AM »

The twist is different. The movie is good. Really good. It's worth the price of admission, and frankly, just around the time that it should be serious, it breaks tension, and often when there is no tension, it surprises you.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 22, 2012, 05:50:51 AM »

Just got back.

My fairly spoiler free thoughts, but just in case, to be polite...

Spoiler for Hiden:
Original, funny, brilliant! Not perfect, but very entertaining. Third act build-up to the climax was the coolest scene since The Battle of Minas Tirith from RotK or The Freeway from Matrix Reloaded. My mind was blown. A genre-bender and mind-twister on par with Memento, Sixth Sense or The Usual Suspects. Best horror movie to come out of Hollywood in a very, very long time. Strongly recommended for fans of the genre.
In short, I LOVED IT.

faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 22, 2012, 06:10:44 AM »

Completely agree with everything in your spoiler qoutes Orgull.  I was grinning ear to ear during the 3rd act. 

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: April 22, 2012, 02:59:45 PM »

I have a few reference questions:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Who was the guy with the sawblades? Was he a nod to another horror guy, like Phantasm or Hellraiser?

USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 22, 2012, 05:34:32 PM »

Quote from: Purge on April 22, 2012, 02:59:45 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
Who was the guy with the sawblades? Was he a nod to another horror guy, like Phantasm or Hellraiser?

Spoiler for Hiden:
clearly Hellraiser, saw blade head instead of pinhead with his puzzle sphere instead of a box

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: April 22, 2012, 07:24:28 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on April 22, 2012, 05:34:32 PM

Quote from: Purge on April 22, 2012, 02:59:45 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
clearly Hellraiser, saw blade head instead of pinhead with his puzzle sphere instead of a box

Never watched it.

I did see

Spoiler for Hiden:
In the cubes to the right of the characters was a Boomer from L4D ... I was also trying to identify the giant spidery thing that hopped from ceiling to floor constantly.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 22, 2012, 08:10:29 PM »

Caught a matinee today...

Spoiler for Hiden:
CABIN IN
THE WOODS

I sort of regret not going when there was a full theater, as I think it would have been that much more fun.

So I think dissecting the plot is sort of against the point of the film, but I was just thinking about a few things:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Shouldn't the ritual have been the same in each place? Why did the Japanese location only try to kill a bunch of schoolgirls?

If the characters were not the actual archetypes, and only think they are due to drugs (especially the virgin), won't the ritual fail anyway? Or is that really sort of the point?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 22, 2012, 11:17:01 PM »

For the first point:
Spoiler for Hiden:
The archetypes are different in different cultures, so different rules apply.  I imagine there may even be different elder gods at each location.

And the second:
Spoiler for Hiden:
The gasses just made it easier to nudge them in th right direction, but they still make the choices on their own.  But, yeah, it does seem like cheating a bit.

I was curious about how folks felt about the ending, though.  I talked about my thoughts here.

Orgull

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 23, 2012, 12:22:36 AM »

I too was unsatisfied with the last 5 minutes, but 98% of awesome is still awesome.

I would have preferred to see
Spoiler for Hiden:
Fran Kranz sacrifice himself to save the world

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: April 23, 2012, 02:02:49 AM »

Quote from: Orgull on April 23, 2012, 12:22:36 AM

I too was unsatisfied with the last 5 minutes, but 98% of awesome is still awesome.

I would have preferred to see
Spoiler for Hiden:
Fran Kranz sacrifice himself to save the world

But that's the irony...

Spoiler for Hiden:
They played the joker - and everyone knows that the joker is wild. biggrin

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: