http://gamingtrend.com
October 24, 2014, 10:18:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 78   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Star Wars: The Old Republic announced  (Read 129808 times)
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: October 09, 2011, 02:22:48 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on October 09, 2011, 01:06:41 PM

Maybe some feedback I've submitted this weekend will drastically change the game for the better! .... Nah. I doubt they'll listen to my suggestion to add a Jar-Jar Binks class as a starter area enemy. There'd be this overlapping "Kill 60 200 Jar-Jar Binks" hunt quest. Just THINK how popular it would be!  icon_twisted icon_razz

I would so grind out collecting two hundred Binks Ears to make the delectable Gungan Stew for the Trade Federation banquet tonight.

- Ash
Arclight
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: October 09, 2011, 04:26:40 PM »

hahah, very cool (pun intended) rshetts2.... nod

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: October 09, 2011, 07:05:18 PM »

Quote from: Punisher on October 09, 2011, 06:38:57 AM

Quote from: Isgrimnur on October 08, 2011, 02:22:29 AM

Wait ... they have beaches in Canada?  saywhat
Instead of roaring waves, they have sliding ice. Instead of beached whales they get beached Moose (Mooses?)...

Meese.

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: October 09, 2011, 09:07:13 PM »

I managed to break 2 boss fights already lol. They were pretty easy to do and I can't believe at this stage they are still in the game, the bugs that is.

I'm enjoying it so far, but my biggest fear is pretty much true. It feels very solo player type game and not an MMO.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: October 10, 2011, 01:37:03 AM »

My own fear - which you can base on watching Bioware's videos, you don't need my NDA'd beta impressions - is the whole "wait in line at a deli counter to get a quest objective" that comes with dumping scores of players into the same worlds with the same quest objectives. It felt silly in Tabula Rasa (I remember a particular one where like 20 of us would literally wait in line for a quest objective to respawn) and I'm sure it'll feel silly in SWTOR too to be standing around in line waiting for quest objectives to materialize out of thin air.

Everquest came out in 1999. And MMOs still as a rule consist of various near-sighted mobs that don't become "sentient" until you get within maybe 10 yards of them, and then they chase you X distance before giving up and returning to their predetermined starting point (and other players can't attack said mob until it returns to its starting point). That's it. That's all most mmorpgs boil down to - it seems like half of mmorpg game development is trying to gussy that up so that it seems more interesting than that.

Really? 12 years and we can't advance MMO server/AI technology to come up with something more interesting? That's not even an SWTOR observation, it's an observation from virtually all the MMORPGs I've played in the last 8 years. The bravest any got was to have a few "wandering" mobs to spice up the mix (generally on pre-scripted "patrol paths"), though veteran mmorpg players would sometimes blanche at losing the "predictability factor."

The mmorpg "template" really doesn't allow an alternative beyond heavy instancing (City of Heroes, Guild Wars, the instanced stuff in Champions, STO's ground combat missions come to mind) and even then, usually the enemy mobs/AI format remains the same within the instance (you just don't have to wait in line for objectives to respawn).

It's part of the reason I quit MMOs altogether some months ago. I'm waiting for someone to make some technological breakthrough to break that mold (maybe it's not possible with current PC CPU/connections/server architecture). I'd like to experience interesting, unpredictable, "wow I didn't expect that" AI in an MMORPG. Maybe it won't happen in my lifetime.

SWTOR is not gonna break that mold, but I do think the voices, story, certain types of combat animations and other surface goodies will appeal to me. Whether it'll appeal to me beyond the point it takes to just run each class to the level cap and finish each storyline once after launch, I just don't know.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 01:38:55 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1605 on: October 10, 2011, 05:39:46 AM »

Boy I sounded crabby earlier. Hey, I pre-ordered the CE fercrissakes. I'm excited.  icon_cool

I just hope someone out there, maybe a small indy dev, can break mmorpgs in a way the Big Guys don't seem interested in doing.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1606 on: October 10, 2011, 07:09:11 AM »

Quote from: jersoc on October 09, 2011, 09:07:13 PM

I'm enjoying it so far, but my biggest fear is pretty much true. It feels very solo player type game and not an MMO.

Yeah, I've been hearing grumbles about this too. How does a group of 4 work on every player's story quests without overleveling everything in the process? And without making the game 4 times as slow to 'beat'?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: October 10, 2011, 10:18:51 AM »

I don't think it's going to be a big issue at all.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 10:21:22 AM by Lockdown » Logged

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: October 10, 2011, 01:31:25 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on October 09, 2011, 09:07:13 PM

I managed to break 2 boss fights already lol. They were pretty easy to do and I can't believe at this stage they are still in the game, the bugs that is.

and that's what interests me the most.  I love the fact that it's online and I can group when I want to and not be forced to like other games (EQ and others)  Rift was a perfect game for me because I solo'd it 98% of the time.  I got to play the game at my own pace, and I didn't have to spend hours on forming groups or deal with idiots.  After playing the beta this weekend, it's looking to be that way too, and that has me excited.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: October 10, 2011, 03:22:19 PM »

Vaguely speaking, my experience confirms I'll enjoy the Smuggler and Bounty Hunter. I just wish I'd have time to get them further. I don't think I'll get a chance to try space combat alas. Any surprises? I'm much more keen on the Inquisitor than I was before.  icon_twisted

Keeping with my vein of "let's talk about what we've seen in official videos cause I can't talk about my testing experience," I think we can hear/see that the voice stuff is all quite awesome. When watching said vids, the character animations in dialogue sequences still strike me as more puppet-like than I'd like. The cartoon-ish look doesn't bother me as much as the feeling I'm watching sort of marionettes who all have the same animations to choose from. And you'll see a character looking like they're dancing, and that's apparently a "cheering" animation.

But realistically, I didn't see them doing mo-cap with this, or having time to do individualized animation sets for every character in the game. I think the voice work is uniformly terrific though -- it can get me to overlook other things.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: October 10, 2011, 05:25:59 PM »

Based on some leaked screenshots (you can google them), I like that the Inquisitor gets a togruta companion...and a hot one at that.  Just from what I've seen in the vids, I'm not keen on the monster tank they start with, but they have some other really cool companions.

The bounty hunter has some cool companions too.  Notably Blizz, the rocket launcher toting Jawa. 

On the good guy side, I like the Smuggler's companions.  Chewie!  I mean Bowdaar!
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: October 10, 2011, 05:53:00 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on October 10, 2011, 03:22:19 PM

Vaguely speaking, my experience confirms I'll enjoy the Smuggler and Bounty Hunter. I just wish I'd have time to get them further. I don't think I'll get a chance to try space combat alas. Any surprises? I'm much more keen on the Inquisitor than I was before.  icon_twisted

Keeping with my vein of "let's talk about what we've seen in official videos cause I can't talk about my testing experience," I think we can hear/see that the voice stuff is all quite awesome. When watching said vids, the character animations in dialogue sequences still strike me as more puppet-like than I'd like. The cartoon-ish look doesn't bother me as much as the feeling I'm watching sort of marionettes who all have the same animations to choose from. And you'll see a character looking like they're dancing, and that's apparently a "cheering" animation.

But realistically, I didn't see them doing mo-cap with this, or having time to do individualized animation sets for every character in the game. I think the voice work is uniformly terrific though -- it can get me to overlook other things.  icon_smile

In the same vein: I'm not that interested the cover mechanic although I can see how some people would like it.  I will enjoy the Bounty Hunter. A lot.  As in this might be the first Star Wars game I play the Empire and dark side as my primary.  The Mercenary looks like a heck of a lot of fun!  ninja

Without getting into specifics, I am very pleased with what I saw and the state of the game given its release date.
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: October 10, 2011, 06:41:26 PM »

Quote from: Wargus on October 10, 2011, 05:53:00 PM

Without getting into specifics

Damnit, get into specifics! For one thing, then I'll know more about the game than I do now and, for another, it'll increase the odds of you getting kicked out of the beta and, therefore, increase my odds of getting in. So -- spill already! slywink

- Ash

PS> That goes for all of you!
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: October 11, 2011, 01:02:22 AM »

Quote from: Asharak on October 10, 2011, 06:41:26 PM

Quote from: Wargus on October 10, 2011, 05:53:00 PM

Damnit, get into specifics! For one thing, then I'll know more about the game than I do now and, for another, it'll increase the odds of you getting kicked out of the beta and, therefore, increase my odds of getting in. So -- spill already! slywink

- Ash

PS> That goes for all of you!

Ok, specifics: there are four base classes per side. Each has two advanced class options. 
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: October 11, 2011, 02:40:08 AM »

How about Mad Libs SWTOR style?

As far as the __________ goes, I was ___________ that so many ___________ insist on continuing to ____________ about _______________. I mean, do these _________s just not read the official SWTOR web site at all?

What was ___________ to me was that so many ____________ that you just _______ for ______ in other _________s are ___________ in __________. Certainly there is still __________ to ___________, so I'm not ________.

I was kind of ____________ that parts ___ ___ _______ are so __________. However, since I ____ ____ that ____, it's kind of tough for me to _____ __________.

While I did find ______ _____ fun, I do feel it _______ __________ ___________. Especially because __________ __________ do so much ______ ___________ __________, it can be a little ___________ as a ________. Hopefully, _________ will __________ some of the ________.

*No, "blank" isn't the right word in any of those blanks.  icon_razz

I remember how excited so many of us here (even me, even Wargus) were here when STO was in late open beta. It was of course a mirage - like many a prematurely launched mmo I've hitched my flag to. I'm glad I got to test SWTOR but I'm not ready to pass judgement one way or the other on the game. I'm anxious to see what the game is like in early December.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 02:44:25 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: October 11, 2011, 04:03:28 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on October 11, 2011, 02:40:08 AM

How about Mad Libs SWTOR style?

I remember how excited so many of us here (even me, even Wargus) were here when STO was in late open beta. It was of course a mirage - like many a prematurely launched mmo I've hitched my flag to. I'm glad I got to test SWTOR but I'm not ready to pass judgement one way or the other on the game. I'm anxious to see what the game is like in early December.  icon_smile

Agreed.  I'm going to get the game and I'm sure I'll enjoy it initially.  As with STO, I will get my investment out of it in the enjoyment of it in its first month (because as much as I pissed & moaned about STO, it was a lot of fun for 30 days).   Will SWTOR last longer than that? Maybe, I don't know.  I tend to bounce in & out of MMOs so we'll see and I am not sure this will survive as my MMO of choice when pitted against GW2.
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: October 11, 2011, 05:25:23 AM »

Quote from: Roguetad on October 10, 2011, 05:25:59 PM

Based on some leaked screenshots (you can google them), I like that the Inquisitor gets a togruta companion...and a hot one at that.  Just from what I've seen in the vids, I'm not keen on the monster tank they start with, but they have some other really cool companions.

Ashara is the togruta. She's... well, disappointing. I won't go into it in order to not spoil anything. She's pretty good in combat. Khem Val is the "monster" and he is awesome. Except they have horrible clipping issues with him. His character is bigger than a normal character model, but they use a normal character model for his equipment. So if you put a helmet on him, the eyes look out of his mouth, it's freaky. Ashara's got some freaky clipping issues too, or at least she did last build. Her eyelids blink through her eyes. It's kind of unsettling.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: October 11, 2011, 09:32:42 AM »

So after this weekend I'm definitely going to get this and might even last pass the first month! Actually, I was going to get this anyways, but the game is much better than what I thought. The gameplay never looked very exciting from the videos, but the combat is pretty fast paced, especially when you get your companion. Some of the solo dungeons will try you as a player until then too. They aren't crazy hard or anything, but a few you gotta be careful.

I played a Bounty hunter to 12 and a Sith Sorc until 11. The BH wasn't too bad and has Jennifer Hale was the VA. But then when I played the sorc it was a lot more fun, to me at least, I'm always a caster type in these games anyways. As much as I wanted to avoid being a force user(cause like tons of people will play one, but whatever half the damn classes are force users anyways) I think that's going to be what I play at launch. The VA for that class was pretty good too. Being a dick is totally awesome too. They always respond back favorably.

Both classes had some sort of early CC, which is really nice. I think the reason I enjoyed the sorc more was combat just seemed faster pace with more stuff to do. That's not to say the BH doesn't have tools, they do, but it just felt like at that level I was using the same few things. With the sorc I was able to cast some spells then switch to awesome melee combat when they got close. The BH has a few melee range stuff, but nothing fancy. Plus honestly, the lightsaber animations are pretty bad ass to watch.

I ran the first instance twice, once on each class. The first time it was me and another with our companions. We were both BH and it took quite a while, but we did it all and found how to cheese lots of boss fights as a result. The second time I went and just asked if anyone wanted to group and got 3 people instantly. I wasn't level 10 yet so I didn't have my heal, in fact we had no heals. the tank guy only died once on the first boss, which is probably the hardest one in there. So clearly the first dungeon isn't very hard and hopefully the rest won't be either.

The boss fights were fairly trivial and mostly involved kiting, LOSing or running from an attack. Nothing too major, but again first instance. I did like it was pretty much an adventure though. It really help break it up and make it not feel like we were just pulling trash to get to the next boss. This is sorta what I've been wanting in MMOs for quite some time. So that's pretty awesome. And the dungeon encourages multiple run throughs depending on your choices. Which brings me to my next point. I have no idea how this system works, but all 4 players pick a choice and the game sorta votes, or something and that's the choice. There was this social point thing that kept popping up, but I'm not sure what it meant or how it calculated those points. the only thing I figured was that 8 points probably meant everyone went with that choice, 1 point you were alone. So if you want a major choice to be different, best to get everyone on board.

The questing makes it feel very single player like. There's the open world where everyone gets the same quests and then there's your class quest where only you can enter the dungeon. So you're on your way to do your class quest and run into the natural hub. You'll get group quests too, which does help encourage grouping. I mean it's not too different from other MMOs in that respect really. But seeing how everyone in your group will have to go through all their choices and stuff it really could bog down. I don't know, I mean I know it's not different, but it just makes you feel more alone or that people are just sort of running around doing their thing.

The most jarring thing is seeing everyone's companions everywhere. It's pretty distracting and really breaks immersion in that, whelp I'm apparently their last hope, but oh look another hero! Not doing that but it literally doubles the characters on your screen. Oh yeah, slow computers are going to slow down your group too as you wait for them to load the next zones and dialogue. Do your guild a favor and upgrade now!

The graphics aren't anything to write home about. It's pretty bland art direction wise. It's like a cross between cartoon and picture perfect which gives every thing this weird glossy like surface. Some faces look like they were covered in vasoline. It did start to grow on me and become less noticeable, or I just got numb to it.

As usual helms suck at looking awesome. but one cool feature is you can make all your armor conform to your chest piece. so you won't be leveling up looking like a clown or rainbow of armor pieces. It's a really nice touch I think. As you do quests, or off drops, you start to earn these badges, the badges can naturally be turned in for armor. You needed about 9-12 badges for a piece of armor. The armor had pretty good stats, probably equal to what running a dungeon would net you. So that's another good system.

Now the game needs a lot of work in some areas, especially the UI. At the moment there's no scale for the UI and the hotkey bar is HUUUUGE. Even only 2 bars takes up way, way too much space. I love my small minimal UIs and this just bugged the shit out of me. Also, you can not make hotkey profiles  yet either. Both of those I suggested and I'm sure many others did too. So I would expect to see it at launch. The game breaks the rule and uses WASD as default :| Horrible in that you lose so much hotkeys. So you gotta rekey lots of stuff to use ESDF. i suggested to them making a default setup using that as well. I didn't check, but hopefully you can resize all the raid and group windows too. They were pretty big and in an awful spot for healing too. Protip: no healer wants to move their cursor to the side of screen. Default this above the hotbars and make it small and not take up half the damn screen :|

The chat leaves a lot to desire right now too. You can't link items, you can't click on items from loot rolls, you can't even invite players from chat. So seriously wtf. Again, expect to see at launch. I didn't mess with much settings, so hopefully things like font size and stuff are included.

Well, that's all i care to write about right now.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: October 11, 2011, 11:38:52 AM »

Thanks for the review. I really hope they do listen to you guys and implement those key issues you mentioned.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
rshetts2

View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: October 11, 2011, 12:34:15 PM »

I will say the beta was far more polished than I expected, seeing we are 2 months from release.  I tested out two republic classes, the Jedi Knight and the Smuggler.  Both classes were fun to play but the Smuggler wins simply because you can run up to an opponent with guns blasting in both hand and then finish with a kick to the jublies.
 I believe Bioware will have no problem recovering their development costs on this one.    With WoW being in decline and losing subscribers, it looks like Bioware picked a good time for their release. 

Can you see the real me? Can ya, CAN YA?
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #1620 on: October 11, 2011, 02:34:29 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on October 11, 2011, 09:32:42 AM

With the sorc I was able to cast some spells then switch to awesome melee combat when they got close.

Awesome melee combat? You got 2 melee skills, one of them a no-force-cost filler smile. Generally as a sorc, melee will be your last option after shock and lightning, if the guy is close.

I have no idea how this system works, but all 4 players pick a choice and the game sorta votes, or something and that's the choice. There was this social point thing that kept popping up, but I'm not sure what it meant or how it calculated those points.

Well, first a minor correction in terminology. An instance is any place that is not accessible by everybody at the same time. What you guys were running is called a Flashpoint, which is an instanced, featured dungeon. Now that's out of the way, social points work like so: you group up and if you talk to a guy, you are presented with the normal options to respond. There's an automatic roll that you see on the portrait of the characters and the one who rolls highest wins, and his response is chosen. In a normal world situation you get 4 social points if your roll wins and 1 if you lose. In a flashpoint you get 8 if you win and 1 if you lose. Social points are used to buy special gear. Each planet has a vendor in/near the cantina with planet-specific gear you can buy if your social level is high enough. This gear is fully moddable, so you'll be able to personalize its stats and upgrade it as needed. Unfortunately this gear is also hard as hell to get, because as you say this is mostly a solo player MMO. It requires 150 points to get to the first level of Social. My sorcerer who is now level 33 and has run every heroic instance grouped, plus all flashpoints but 1, I only now have 150 points. I tried to run that first flashpoint solo because I believe it gives you social points that way, but it was bugged yesterday and wouldn't let me in.

There's the open world where everyone gets the same quests and then there's your class quest where only you can enter the dungeon.

No. Anyone can enter on your class quest, but they only watch you make your choices and can't influence your conversation rolls.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: October 11, 2011, 02:36:22 PM »

OK, well, what's the point of being respectful of the NDA at this point, right?  icon_smile

I got too much work to do but I can say I found the Smuggler (to 13) and Trooper (to 10) a lot of fun in very different ways. While I enjoy cover fire, sometimes in the time it takes you to roll behind cover, your group mates have already annihilated everything in sight (can't speak to the mid-high levels of the game on that though). I also find it perplexing that certain objects constitute cover, and certain very similar size/type objects don't.

Smuggler advanced class? Scoundrel-wise, I didn't really understand the Scattergun before. It's sort of a "secondary" weapon you yank out with your left hand as a "finishing move" by shooting somebody in the back (your blaster remains your main weapon, right hand). It's not a main attack though. I'm reminded of Mad Max's sawed off shotgun that he'd flip out with one hand, or is it Ash in Evil Dead 2/Army of Darkness  icon_cool (I'm convinced that's the inspiration there).

So think about kicking a target (even a droid) in the nuts, and then going behind them and shooting them in the back while they're stunned. Now THAT sounds like a "Han shot first!" smuggler, right?  icon_twisted While it's not quite as omnipotent as it sounds, scattergun's a totally awesome animation.

You have to balance that with the fact the scattergun doesn't seem like a cover-fire weapon (though you can certainly still use cover as a Scoundrel). If you prefer to run up to targets and do nasty things to 'em, it's great. I assume Gunslinger (dual blasters) is better if you prefer to be a fire-from-cover type.

On the Dark Side, I really enjoyed the Inquisitor's mix of melee and ranged lightning but I only played one a few levels.
I sampled Jedi and the Bounty Hunter only briefly.

I thoroughly enjoyed the conversation rolls. Maybe I wouldn't with repitition, but my groups would share a lot of laughs over responses, or rolling "1" one time and then "99" the next. It's very fun to see your character talking for the group.  icon_smile It's also like a big social experiment to see what people want to do in light/dark side situations. There's one situation on Esseles where I really wanted to see the "dark side" result but nobody else would go for it. Pansies!  icon_twisted

I did consistently have "queasiness" issues, and was trying some lower resolutions at the end figuring that might be sort of a lower "FOV."
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 03:24:41 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: October 11, 2011, 05:00:44 PM »

Interesting tidbit about guilds:
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=9838767#edit9838767
We allow for guilds with the same name to be created multiple times in the Guild Headquarters because we'll have lots of servers available at launch. Guilds with the same name will automatically be placed on different servers, as guild names are unique per server.
So, if we wanted, we could have a Gaming Trend guild on every server.  icon_smile

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: October 11, 2011, 06:16:56 PM »

btw, if you wanted to guess that a lot of so-called tester feedback at forums is along the lines of... (this is a dramatization that may or may not resemble real posts...)

"I've never had so much fun!"
"I'm bored."
"PVP sucks!"
"The PVP is awesome!"
"This is WoW with Star Wars skins!""
"No it isn't."
"It is too!"
"Your mom!"
"This is the best game ever!"
"They should throw this crap out and start over!"

As Yoda is my witness, I have no idea how Bioware combs through all the crap to ever find any sort of constructive, helpful feedback at all.  icon_razz Anyway, if you thought SWOTR was the MMO to unite people in their opinions about something? You thought wrong.  Bring your own! Just wait until it launches...
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 06:19:01 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: October 11, 2011, 06:20:38 PM »

Seeing everyone running around with a companion in tow really breaks the immersion for me.  These companions are supposed to be unique NPCs in the universe.  I wish they had limited them somehow.  Maybe only allow them in instances and only allow one person to pull one out.
MythicalMino
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: October 11, 2011, 06:29:04 PM »

I thought I read, in regards to companions, that the players can go in and customize what their companions look like. Maybe I misread, though?

PSN: MythicalMino
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: October 11, 2011, 06:29:50 PM »

Quote from: skystride on October 11, 2011, 06:20:38 PM

Seeing everyone running around with a companion in tow really breaks the immersion for me.  These companions are supposed to be unique NPCs in the universe.  I wish they had limited them somehow.  Maybe only allow them in instances and only allow one person to pull one out.
You're able to customize their equipment and visual appearance soon enough. I was just rather surprised you can't change their names (at least that doesn't seem to be an option). I guess the storyline requires that, but it seems a little ridiculous to have a zillion players with same-name companions.

I'm also confused because dev diary features suggested each class's first companion sort of made up for their weakness. But the Smuggler/Trooper companion #1s seemed to just be another "gun guy."  icon_confused That doesn't mean they aren't fun or useful, I just expected they'd get someone more melee-ish to start.

The instances are actually the only place that limits companion use. i.e., if you have a full 4-member team, no companions at all. 3 players, one can summon a companion. 2 players, each can summon a companion etc.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 06:36:17 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: October 11, 2011, 07:29:29 PM »

a flashpoint maybe what they call it, but by definition, it's an instance.

are you sure about the class thing? because I kept getting a pop up saying this area can only be enetered by 1 X-class. So either that's wrong or. In fact, I know that's right, because when I was grouped with another BH we entered separately and I had to wait for him to kill the boss before we continued on.

Quote from: MythicalMino on October 11, 2011, 06:29:04 PM

I thought I read, in regards to companions, that the players can go in and customize what their companions look like. Maybe I misread, though?

you can, but like most mmos, at the low level you have almost no choices. it still breaks immersion big time.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 07:31:44 PM by jersoc » Logged
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: October 11, 2011, 07:42:09 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on October 11, 2011, 06:29:50 PM

Quote from: skystride on October 11, 2011, 06:20:38 PM

Seeing everyone running around with a companion in tow really breaks the immersion for me.  These companions are supposed to be unique NPCs in the universe.  I wish they had limited them somehow.  Maybe only allow them in instances and only allow one person to pull one out.
You're able to customize their equipment and visual appearance soon enough. I was just rather surprised you can't change their names (at least that doesn't seem to be an option). I guess the storyline requires that, but it seems a little ridiculous to have a zillion players with same-name companions.

I'm also confused because dev diary features suggested each class's first companion sort of made up for their weakness. But the Smuggler/Trooper companion #1s seemed to just be another "gun guy."  icon_confused That doesn't mean they aren't fun or useful, I just expected they'd get someone more melee-ish to start.

I think the naming thing is kind of moot as you don't see other people's companion's names unless you specifically go and turn that on. As the companions start to get customized very quickly by new gear I tended to find that it wasn't long at all before my companion didn't look a thing like anything else that was running around.

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: October 11, 2011, 08:20:22 PM »

Putting a pink suit on Darth Vader doesn't change the fact that it's Darth Vader.  There is only one Darth Vader.  So it does break the immersion a little.
Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: October 11, 2011, 08:24:23 PM »

Still no motherf**king beta invite.  No beta invite = no purchase cause I ain't buying another MMO without trying it first.

You'd think that Bioware would go back and at some point ensure that everyone who signed up for the beta in the first day or two would get a shot, but...

Bastards.  Curse them!  A pox upon their houses!  A pox I tell ya!

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: October 11, 2011, 10:12:09 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on October 11, 2011, 07:29:29 PM

a flashpoint maybe what they call it, but by definition, it's an instance.

Yes, and that's why I said it's an instanced, special dungeon. But the distinction is important to what I was saying because in flashpoints you receive more social points than running normal group quests.

are you sure about the class thing?

There's an option you can select to allow more than 1 of the same class in a class quest.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: October 11, 2011, 10:21:05 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on October 11, 2011, 07:29:29 PM

are you sure about the class thing? because I kept getting a pop up saying this area can only be enetered by 1 X-class. So either that's wrong or. In fact, I know that's right, because when I was grouped with another BH we entered separately and I had to wait for him to kill the boss before we continued on.
On your CLASS QUEST instances (some are rooms with a green overlay on the doorway to indicate it as such), only players of OTHER classes than yours can join you. It's YOUR story, they don't want 3 other Smugglers in the same story instance. Makes sense to me icon_smile I can see where that might cause confusion though cause sometimes the class quest stuff areas sort of overlap with regular quest areas.

My guess is most players will race to L10 (roughly when most make the Advanced Class choice) in a day or two, maybe an evening if you're anxious. So sure, it might be nice if they better differentiated the single digit class levels so you weren't basically surrounded by a million players with the exact same abilities as yours. But in the end, you're only gonna be that way for a day or two at most.

And I just didn't get far enough in advanced classes to know if things differentiate more clearly from that point.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 10:23:01 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: October 11, 2011, 10:25:47 PM »

Quote from: cheeba on October 11, 2011, 02:34:29 PM

Well, first a minor correction in terminology. An instance is any place that is not accessible by everybody at the same time. What you guys were running is called a Flashpoint, which is an instanced, featured dungeon. Now that's out of the way, social points work like so: you group up and if you talk to a guy, you are presented with the normal options to respond. There's an automatic roll that you see on the portrait of the characters and the one who rolls highest wins, and his response is chosen. In a normal world situation you get 4 social points if your roll wins and 1 if you lose. In a flashpoint you get 8 if you win and 1 if you lose. Social points are used to buy special gear. Each planet has a vendor in/near the cantina with planet-specific gear you can buy if your social level is high enough. This gear is fully moddable, so you'll be able to personalize its stats and upgrade it as needed. Unfortunately this gear is also hard as hell to get, because as you say this is mostly a solo player MMO. It requires 150 points to get to the first level of Social. My sorcerer who is now level 33 and has run every heroic instance grouped, plus all flashpoints but 1, I only now have 150 points. I tried to run that first flashpoint solo because I believe it gives you social points that way, but it was bugged yesterday and wouldn't let me in.

If all you ever group for is the flashpoints, then this isn't surprising.  I have had no problem getting close to 150 points before leaving the starting planet by running through as a group.  Yes, it was less challenging, and I was a bit behind on loot, however it was compensated by having access to the social gear.  Just because stuff can be soloed, it is a lot of fun grouping and I intend on spending as much time in a group as possible come launch.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: October 12, 2011, 01:25:33 AM »

Bunch more testing invites went out...
AllisonBerryman    General Discussion -> Game Testing: official 'invites have been sent' thread
Another update!

Sent Oct. 11: General Game Testing Invites

Who was invited: Testers from France and Germany
    What was sent: General Game Testing invites
    Server locations: EU servers
    Invite status: All invites in this batch are now sent

10.11.2011 03:41 PM
AllisonBerryman    General Discussion -> Game Testing: official 'invites have been sent' thread
Update! We're sending out some testing invites today. Here's the information about them:

Sent Oct. 11: California Data Center Test

This test is a small, limited-time test including testers from New Zealand and Australia. Data from this test will be used to inform decisions about the launch of the game in Oceanic regions. We currently have no updates regarding the launch of the game in these or other territories, but will provide information as it becomes available.

Who was invited: Testers from the USA, Canada, New Zealand and Australia
    What was sent: California Data Center testing invites
    Server locations: West Coast USA
    Invite status: All invites in this batch are now sent

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #1635 on: October 12, 2011, 05:59:09 AM »

Quote from: skystride on October 11, 2011, 08:20:22 PM

Putting a pink suit on Darth Vader doesn't change the fact that it's Darth Vader.  There is only one Darth Vader.  So it does break the immersion a little.

It's more than that though-the initial companion customization packet included an entirely new head. Went from being a dreadlocked hippy looking guy to a blond leading man kinda look. That plus new armor and he looked unique enough that it wasn't a concern.

Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: October 12, 2011, 06:02:18 AM »

Quote from: Gryndyl on October 12, 2011, 05:59:09 AM

Quote from: skystride on October 11, 2011, 08:20:22 PM

It's more than that though-the initial companion customization packet included an entirely new head. Went from being a dreadlocked hippy looking guy to a blond leading man kinda look. That plus new armor and he looked unique enough that it wasn't a concern.

One of my suggestions in the post beta poll they had was that the either the companion be randomized for the customizable looks up front (so look-a-likes on starting companions wouldn't be the standard) or that they give you customization options earlier.   
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: October 12, 2011, 02:50:09 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on October 11, 2011, 10:21:05 PM

On your CLASS QUEST instances (some are rooms with a green overlay on the doorway to indicate it as such), only players of OTHER classes than yours can join you.

As I said already, no, this is not true. Players of the same class can join yours, you just have to select the box in your options.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: October 12, 2011, 05:51:30 PM »

It was the best game ever,
It was the worst game ever,
It was SWTOR...

Playing
PC
-Grim Dawn
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: October 12, 2011, 07:33:18 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on October 12, 2011, 05:51:30 PM

It was the best game ever,
It was the worst game ever,
It was SWTOR...

War never changes... even among the stars.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 78   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: