http://gamingtrend.com
April 16, 2014, 02:30:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Server Race and Class Statistics  (Read 2181 times)
Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: December 08, 2004, 10:29:04 PM »

So, I got the latest version of Cosmos and there was a feature that lets you do a census of your server's population, to see how many people are currently online for each race and class.

I have both alliance characters and horde on the server I usually play (non-PVP) so here are the stats:

Server:  DoomHammer

Alliance  876 Characters online

Night Elves: 37%
Humans: 33%
Dwarves: 17%
Gnomes: 11%

Hunters: 21%
Paladins: 17%
Rogues: 13%
Warriors: 13%
Druids: 10%
Mages: 10%
Warlocks: 7%
Priests: 6%

Horde  436 Characters online

Taurens: 27%
Orcs: 25%
Undead: 25%
Trolls: 21%

Warriors: 21%
Hunters: 19%
Shamans: 15%
Rogues: 12%
Warlocks: 12%
Mages: 7%
Druids: 7%
Priests: 5%

Most played class:  Night Elf Hunter
Least played class:  Troll Priest (which I'm currently playing)

I find it interesting that there are 2 alliance players online for every horde player.  Also, I'm surprised that there are so many warriors for the horde, personally I thought the class had some problems.  I've seen lots of Tauren Warriors in my travels, though.  I find it fascinating that the "caster" classes are so much less popular than the "fighter" classes, as well.

Feel free to add your own server's stats.  I'm interested to see if this breakdown is typical for other servers as well.
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2004, 11:16:24 PM »

Can you do a census for other realms?  If so, can you do Bronzebeard?
Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2004, 11:32:02 PM »

You can do your own census, if you have a character on Bronzebeard.  If you have a character for each side (Alliance and Horde, assuming it is not a PvP server) then you can do a census for each side.  You have to have a character on the server in order to do a census.

All you have to do is get the latest version of Cosmos, open it (push the little button by the minimap) and there is a button called Census.  Push the button, take a census, and that is all there is to it.
Redfive
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2004, 11:35:26 PM »

Huh, Troll priest here as well....wonder if there's something you and I don't know.

Stranger in a strange land.

Gamertag:  red51ve
Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2004, 11:40:03 PM »

Quote from: "Redfive"
Huh, Troll priest here as well....wonder if there's something you and I don't know.

I've got that sort of nagging feeling about that too.  Still, a troll interested me because 1) I've got the biggest stinking tusks in the game and 2) you can regenerate health, even during a fight.  So, I've kind of been playing to my strengths as a troll, and all the items I buy or keep have a plus to Spirit (mana and health regeneration).  I'm trying to keep my regenerative abilities as high as possible, and it seems to be working OK for me.

leo8877 -- I'd just create some throwaway characters on Bronzebeard and do the survey for you, but I'm at work and I don't think that would go over very well.  slywink  If I were the only one here though I'd do it for you.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2004, 11:50:19 PM »

Alliance is widely considered to be "easy mode."  And quite frankly, I agree with that assessment.  So far I've taken a Human Mage to 21 and an Undead Mage to 25 and the Human was much easier to level.

Why?  Quests.  Not quantity, but quality.

Alliance quests and quest descriptions are generally very straightforward and located very close to the quest giver's location.  If you're given a quest to visit a faraway zone, you can basically interpret that as the "it's time to move on" alarm.  Huge movement quests are also generally at the end of the Alliance quest chains, and the places they deliver you to have a ton of  :!: s more appropriate to your level.  As an Alliance player, especially a human (though my brother reported it's much the same as a Dwarf), your questing experience is quite well-structured.  Oh, and the descriptions are clear and flawless, and the quests "con" appropriately to your level.

Horde quests are, in general, much harder for three reasons:

1.)  Vague descriptions.  The Barrens is spammed with "Where is Mankrik's wife?"  all day every day for a reason:  The quest's only suggestion for finding her is "south," which encompasses more than half the Barrens (which is a gigantic zone).  Sure, I'm certain it's a good feeling finding her on your own, but it'd be dumb luck, not sleuthing via the quest clues/directions.  Vague, or even outright wrong, Horde quest descriptions are commonplace.

2.)  Amount of required travel.  Orcish lands are where all the Horde races congregate starting around level 12.  The Barrens is the hot spot for all this action--and the zone is frickin' gigantic.  It gets REALLY obnoxious to have to run from Crossroads to Ratchet back to Crossroads again, stopping to avoid or kill mobs along the way, considering the run from CR to Ratchet is just a couple minutes of... well, Barrens.  For those who've played a human, think the distance from, say, Forest's Edge to the Eastvale Logging Camp, give or take a little bit.  You get to run that a whole hell of alot.

3.)  Innaccurate, often dramatically so, quest "cons."  Some con deep red but can be done without a scratch the moment you get them.  Some can con green but pwn j00 azz.  This ties in great with the other two.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
zinckiwi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2004, 02:43:51 AM »

Great post, LE. I'd been wondering (have hardly played any Alliance characters at all).
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2004, 05:05:46 AM »

Alliance is widely considered to be "easy mode."

My 'shallow' reasons for playing the Alliance so far have been:

1. I like the look of the Alliance characters better.  I can't get into being an orc or Tauren, etc.

2. Almost Heroes is an Alliance guild.

I wonder what will happen during PvP if Alliance outnumbers the Horde by so much.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2004, 05:36:19 AM »

I'm curious if this only counts other players on your server who have cosmos also.

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2004, 05:51:55 AM »

Quote from: "Redfive"
Trolls get what are widely considered to be the worst racial spells for Priests of any build.

Sorry guys.  That's why.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2004, 02:24:48 PM »

I played Horde in the beta and am playing Alliance in retail, and I agree that Alliance is a bit easier to do, but not that much. Horde quests might require a bit more running, but I don't think the difficulty is any more personally.

The reason I think there are so many more Alliance is that side is the "good" side, which people tend to pick in computer games and such. You can identify with a human or an elf more than an orc or troll. Most people going in have no idea if Alliance or Horde is "easier", they just go with what they're familiar with.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2004, 03:49:01 PM »

Thanks Butterknife,  If I ever get that UI, I'll run the test.  Thanks for the heads up!
programmerbob
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2004, 04:25:36 PM »

Yeah I agree the barrens quests aren't any more difficult, the running does suck though if you plan out the quests right, you should be able to do a large number of them in one corner for the hour then hearthstone back.

Having the barrens as one huge zone kinda is bad for lag from what I've experienced though.

I don't remember any red missions that I did "without a scratch", though I don't remember(I was grouped most of the time). The only horrid one is the slith'd digger quest that's definitely under conned.(for a soloer)

Humans do seem to have a fewer number of collect X items from mobs and what ones they have are easier or require less items. I've got characters(and guild or friends) for both sides so I don't care all that much though.

Xbox Live tag: joephis1
AIM/ESO Tag: UTBurner
Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2004, 04:27:55 PM »

Quote from: "Interloper"
I'm curious if this only counts other players on your server who have cosmos also.

I'm pretty sure it's not just counting people who are running Cosmos, mostly because I watched it pretty carefully while it was running.  It seemed to be going through the "Who" tab on the friends menu or whatever it's called.  Plus, the survey only did all the characters on your side -- i.e. if you ran it for an Alliance character, only Alliance characters would be listed.
Spiff
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2004, 05:33:00 PM »

Lord Ebonstone,

Saw you played an Undead Mage to 25, you're just the person to help me I think.

I just hit level 12. I'm currently in the Undercity, and have done the quest where I go to the Island, get Gunther's book, return it to him, kill Lillith, and then go back to the Undercity. At level 12, is that all I've got in the Undercity? I have a quest to go elsewhere and deliver something, so I'm assuming that's going to lead me to my next area?

I've done all the quests in Brill, and see no more for a Mage in the Undercity. Should I move on to the "Orcish" lands, or am I missing something?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

"I've read dozens of books about heroes and crooks, and I've learned much from both of their styles"
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2004, 06:10:42 PM »

Quote from: "Koz"
I played Horde in the beta and am playing Alliance in retail, and I agree that Alliance is a bit easier to do, but not that much. Horde quests might require a bit more running, but I don't think the difficulty is any more personally.

The reason I think there are so many more Alliance is that side is the "good" side, which people tend to pick in computer games and such. You can identify with a human or an elf more than an orc or troll. Most people going in have no idea if Alliance or Horde is "easier", they just go with what they're familiar with.

You know, I usually play as the good character in RPGs, etc. (Think KotOR), but I'm all about the Horde in WoW.  I play Undead, and as I see it, we're not the Scourge, we're the Forsaken, who are just a misunderstood group of animated corpses.  Not evil, although neither are the Orcs/Trolls/Tauren.  You know, now that I think about it, it's the Humans that are the evil ones!
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2004, 06:15:04 PM »

Quote from: "Spiff"
Lord Ebonstone,

I just hit level 12. I'm currently in the Undercity, and have done the quest where I go to the Island, get Gunther's book, return it to him, kill Lillith, and then go back to the Undercity. At level 12, is that all I've got in the Undercity? I have a quest to go elsewhere and deliver something, so I'm assuming that's going to lead me to my next area?

I've done all the quests in Brill, and see no more for a Mage in the Undercity. Should I move on to the "Orcish" lands, or am I missing something?

Spiff, you get sent to the UC early, just to see that it's there, but you really don't have much to do there until later.  I would visit your Quarter of the city (Magic Quarter for a mage) and see if there's class specific stuff.

The delivery quests will definitely lead you to areas where your next group will be.  If you need to visit some place, it's likely because there is another set of quests there.  

Although being done with Brill at lvl 12 seems a bit early.  I was there for longer than that.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2004, 01:04:01 AM »

Quote from: "Spiff"
Lord Ebonstone,

Are you sure you've done everything in Brill?  Done all the quests involving the farms/mills?  Done all the Scarlet Missionary-slaying quests?  All the "New Plauge" line?  

You can milk Trisfal Glades til about 14 or 15 depending on how much "grind" you do inbetween questing.  I'd say if you literally did all the quests in Brill you should be a higher level than 12, definitely if you did them all solo.

However, 12 is an acceptable level to move on to the Orc lands, if you so desire.  Most of the intro chain quests start around 12, so heading over to the Crossroads in the Barrens will set you up for many levels to come.  Now, you can stay in Undead lands--Silverpine Forest is also around level 12--but honestly, Silverpine is very congested with very hostile, very fast, very strong monsters, and until you get a feel of the lay of the land, expect to die alot.  OTOH,  Silverpine has a ton of plants for Herbalism/Alchemy, while the Barrens is... well... pretty Barren.

The Undercity has quests for all sorts of level ranges.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: