http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 09:04:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Regarding "Stealth" in WoW  (Read 2153 times)
Lockdown
Gaming Trend Senior Member

LD

View Profile
« on: December 09, 2004, 07:53:43 PM »

I need some clarification from the stealth experts.

When a rogue is stealthed, do you actually see him, and are there "degrees" of stealth?

Example being when the rogue I travel with sometimes decides to stealth, I can see an outline of him.  But of course we are grouped together, and I know to look for it.

Is it the same "effect" for all levels of stealth?  If I am not grouped with a rogue and he stealths, will I completely not see him, even an outline?  Iow, will he be completely invisible?

How does this play out in duels?  Does the stealthed rogue have a serious advantage?  I heard once the duel begins, stealth is not allowed... Fact or Fiction?

What about Shadowmeld?  Same visual effect or different one?

Thanks for all those in the know.

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Ibby
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2004, 07:59:34 PM »

I know nothing of Stealth, but Shadowmeld can only be used while standing still. If you take any action such as move or spellcasting, it breaks.

As for effect,  you appear to fade out to a hazy semi-transparency.
none
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2004, 08:01:32 PM »

also, shadowmeld is an ability available only to nightelves.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2004, 08:24:49 PM »

shadowmeld saved my tell a few times last night.  Thank you shadowmeld !

This signature is not personal, at all.  If you're not awake enough to realize our country is being taken down by an organized effort from a puppet chimp being controlled by a movement older than me.  Wake the freaking fack up.
Koz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2004, 09:12:22 PM »

LD, if you're grouped with a rogue, you will always be able to see them. This may be true even if you aren't (and they appear as a "green" or "blue" label character).

However, in PvP, rogues disappear completely when stealthed, provided they aren't detected. Detecting is level- and position-based. You will always be stealthed when in the rear 180 degree vision of an enemy. However, once you are detected, you appear.

A char many levels higher than you will almost always detect you without any real effort. I think a char of equal level will need to be relatively close to see, but I haven't tested it out.

Your stealth ability is based on your level, not skill level in stealth (which makes you move quicker while stealthed). There's a talent, Master of Deception, which slightly increases the effectiveness as well.

Once you are in combat, you can no longer stealth.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2004, 09:24:19 PM »

In non PvP, you can see Rogues that are stealthed.  I have watched other Rogues sneak up on enemies and attack.  They looked just as you do while using stealth.
Abaddon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2004, 10:19:38 PM »

Engaging in combat precludes Rogues from using "normal" stealth but they also get a special ability called "Vanish" which allows them to dissappear at anytime even during combat. Also in my experience position is one of the biggest factors in stealth, moving to the side or rear of your target decreases your chance for detection exponentially. I have also found moving can effect whether you are detected. When stealthing past a Mob at times they will spin and face you, if you stop moving immediatlely the majority of the time they will stare in your direction for a few seconds then turn away again. If you continue to move after they "spin" on you they will almost always detect you and attack.
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2004, 01:13:11 AM »

I think a char of equal level will need to be relatively close to see, but I haven't tested it out.

Seems to be true, even among non grouped  rogues of same realm.  A rogue 2 levels higher than me was detectable only when right in front of my los and close than bout 15 feet.  Rogues higher than me pick me out no prob.

And as for Vanish, well, I LOVE that ability.  That has saved my arse many a time over in tough instances.  I always have plenty flash powder on hand to use it.

Vesper
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2004, 03:45:42 AM »

This doesn't relate to Stealth, but PVP combat - How do abilities like a Warlock's Fear spell work in PVP?  Does it work at all?  It'd be fun if it sent someone running around without being able to control their character for a little while.  smile

Is there any sort of guide that lists how spells/abilities work in relation to PVP?
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2004, 01:10:57 PM »

Thank you all.  I think I have a pretty good understanding of it now.

Abaddon - What you said regarding the spinning and movement stopping, when you think about it, is REALLY a great implementation of the stealth mechanic by Blizzard.  That is very encouraging to hear.

And this "Vanish" ability seems extremely wicked.  I am assuming if a Rogue vanishes during combat, his "stealth-only" skills become available to him once again?  

Seriously, what a great, great, great character a Rogue must be to play.  I personally detest with a passion any type of close combat.  However, if I liked it, I don't think any class sounds even half as cool as the rogue.

Thanks again.

LD

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2004, 01:59:09 PM »

Quote from: "Vesper"
This doesn't relate to Stealth, but PVP combat - How do abilities like a Warlock's Fear spell work in PVP?  Does it work at all?  It'd be fun if it sent someone running around without being able to control their character for a little while.  smile

I've never been feared in PvP, but I've read a bit about it and certainly been feared in PvE by a mob.  It works just like it does in PvE (the target will start running away).  There is supposed to be a diminishing return for PvP fear, where the duration of the effect lasts for less and less time.
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2004, 03:48:05 PM »

Seriously, what a great, great, great character a Rogue must be to play. I personally detest with a passion any type of close combat. However, if I liked it, I don't think any class sounds even half as cool as the rogue.

It is a lot of fun, you should try it.  I think it may be different from your impressions of close combat fighters in the past.  Compared with the hunter, there is so much more to do and going on with the rogue.  The damage output is amazing as well.  You can stealth, backstab, gouge, backstab, vanish, etc.  Tons of options for each fight.  

So far, with a hunter, it is mark, send kitty, shoot a few arrows or arrow skills, repeat.  Not nearly the same dexterity needed with a rogue.  Of course, the hunter is a blast to play too, don't get my wrong, but it is more laid back then a rogue.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Gedd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2004, 04:31:02 PM »

Well, every class falls into a sort of default pattern of attacks when fighting stuff that's not really challenging.  I know I had a default sequence as a warrior, and I now have one with my hunter.

There are different approaches that can be taken, and with the Hunter sometimes it's a matter of deciding when to get into the fight and melee and when to let your pet take aggro and back up to hit with your rifle.

This really shows itself in instances, as the mobs you're fighting just won't go down as quickly or easily with the standard "send pet, serpent sting, concussion shot, arcane shot, auto-shoot" combo.  Now that I've gotten Scorpid Sting, I've found there are sometimes when I use that instead of Serpent Sting.  There's also some decision making as to what pet you want to use, a high dps one, a well armored one, or an all-around.  I tend to forget about them, but then there's traps you can use as well.  And then there's a number of aggro management skills as a Hunter you can use depending on whether you want to draw aggro or lose it.

Anyway, I'm not really here to be the Hunter cheerleader, but rather to show that every class has different tactics that you take depending on the situation.
Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2004, 04:49:34 PM »

I would agree with Gedd.  There is certainly a sort of "standard attack" pattern that you will use when confronting most enemies.  However, every so often things won't go according to plan (don't you love it when something spawns right on top of you?) and suddenly that "standard attack" will get you quickly killed.

No doubt about it, though -- the hunter's "standard" is exactly what Gedd described in his last post.  And, I would say that the hunter's set of attacks tends to be a lot more static than the other classes.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2004, 06:31:34 PM »

If you like playing a rogue, but suffer from alt-itis, druids are a fun class.  Druids can shapeshift into Cat form, which allows for some of the same abilities as a rogue (stealth, positional attacks, combos, dash, very fast attacks).  You’ll also get humanoid tracking while in cat form similar to what hunters get, which allows you to hunt down npcs or players.  In groups I’m almost always the healer, but for solo stuff I love tearing things up in cat form.  You’ll never be as good as a rogue at all of the roguish abilities (which is how it should be), but you can certainly have just as much fun.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: