http://gamingtrend.com
April 23, 2014, 08:34:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: XBOX 360 new chip  (Read 908 times)
drifter
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 05, 2007, 06:43:48 PM »

Wasnt M-Soft supposed to come out with a different type of chip in the 360?  Has that happened?

Am thinking about buying one...
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 06:47:16 PM »

Quote from: drifter on October 05, 2007, 06:43:48 PM

Wasnt M-Soft supposed to come out with a different type of chip in the 360?  Has that happened?

Am thinking about buying one...

Rumor is that the 65mm chip is in the Halo 3 360s

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 06:51:08 PM »

Ok then I was looking at it.

The elite 360 (not available for store pickup at BB) has the 120GB hard drive and the Halo 3 (available at most stores) one has 20GB hard drive.  Is this an issue?  Thats a lot of disk space for saved games and such isnt it?

Probably would get halo 3 and guitar hero 2 to start if i do this
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 06:57:41 PM »

Quote from: drifter on October 05, 2007, 06:51:08 PM

The elite 360 (not available for store pickup at BB) has the 120GB hard drive and the Halo 3 (available at most stores) one has 20GB hard drive.  Is this an issue?  Thats a lot of disk space for saved games and such isnt it?

The space used by save games is negligible, and leaves plenty of room on a 20GB drive for downloadable content and Live Arcade titles.  I wouldn't worry about the drive size unless you're planning to download TV shows or something, but I suppose mega weekly download DLC quantities like Rock Band is claiming to have could potentially use a lot more space than games in the past.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 07:08:24 PM »

http://forums.xbox.com/15804553/ShowPost.aspx
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 07:12:10 PM »

unfortunately, the 65nm doesn't appear to be in all of the halo 360's, just the more recent lots, 764?  not sure where i read it in detail so the first two digits are fuzzy.  sorry about that.  also note that the cpu is the only piece using the 65 die at this point.  the gpu is also a big part of the heat issue.  from what i've read, the new units do run quieter and cooler, so there is an improvement.  unfortunately, you can't check the lot until you open the box.  just get the newest build date you can find.

as far as the size, i've got the elite and while i don't think i'll use it for video, it's nice not having to worry about demo space.  now that they all have hdmi, it's not worth it.  certainly not with the smaller cpu.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 07:22:50 PM »

Quote from: Caine on October 05, 2007, 07:12:10 PM

unfortunately, the 65nm doesn't appear to be in all of the halo 360's, just the more recent lots, 764?  not sure where i read it in detail so the first two digits are fuzzy.  sorry about that.  also note that the cpu is the only piece using the 65 die at this point.  the gpu is also a big part of the heat issue.  from what i've read, the new units do run quieter and cooler, so there is an improvement.  unfortunately, you can't check the lot until you open the box.  just get the newest build date you can find.

as far as the size, i've got the elite and while i don't think i'll use it for video, it's nice not having to worry about demo space.  now that they all have hdmi, it's not worth it.  certainly not with the smaller cpu.

You should be able to check the lot on the white label on the side of the box.  My July 2007 box shows the lot number on the side.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 08:12:55 PM »

well that's good to know.  somebody at work is looking at grabbing one and really wants to avoid the 90nm if he can. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 08:52:27 PM »

Definitely make sure it's the latest model.

I'm kind of pissed off at MS because the older models have been crapping out for no reason at all.  Mine was untouched for months, then a power on and poof, overheating issues.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 08:58:52 PM by Turtle » Logged
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2007, 09:00:11 PM »

Quote from: drifter on October 05, 2007, 06:51:08 PM

I've seen both at BB.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2007, 04:26:58 PM »

It is exactly what I'm waiting for - and I won't buy until I'm sure it is:  A) the Elite, and;  B) the new chipset.  The Elite without the new set only has a few tweaks like an improved heatsink.  The new chipset, however, will run cooler and cheaper, so that's what I am waiting for... oh, and a possibility of:  C) price cut.  icon_twisted

Thanks, Leo, for the link to how to tell if it's the Falcon chipset - last I looked up the info, I was wondering just that!  icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2007, 10:47:48 PM »

Well comparing the Halo version to the elite version I think you get more with the Halo themed xbox; except for the smaller harddrive.  If drive space isnt an issue then I am thinking about the Halo themed one.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2007, 02:03:45 AM »

Unless you store a lot of demos, or use the video download service, drive space won't be an issue.

Of course, I have tons of downloaded demos and games on mine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: