http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 03:42:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Warhammer Online Online again  (Read 1604 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: October 12, 2004, 03:07:14 PM »

According to PC Gamer Warhammer Online seems to be back in development. The game was cannned this June, but is supposedly back on track for a release about 18-20 months from now.  A lot can happen in 18-20 months, so lets not all hold our breath at once....

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2004, 03:22:32 PM »

Well hopefully they will use the extra time to do a ground up redesign.  Even liking WHFB as much as I do it just plain didn't look very fun.

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2004, 03:33:56 PM »

Ugh...would have been better left dead. They'd be better off doing 40k IMO.

I love the tabletop Warhammer RPG, but it is not suitable for an MMO, in my opinion. Too close to fantasy (will compete with EQ2, D&D, and WOW, etc) yet not different enough to lure a different audience. Not a large enough built in fanbase.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2004, 04:39:09 PM »

They'd be better off doing 40k IMO.

I think this would almost be a harder setting to put a game in, but if done well it would really be amazing.  Given the xenophobia common among all the 40k races though it'd be hard to make peopple happy with it I think.

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2004, 05:40:34 PM »

Quote from: "Sepiche"

They'd be better off doing 40k IMO.

I think this would almost be a harder setting to put a game in, but if done well it would really be amazing.  Given the xenophobia common among all the 40k races though it'd be hard to make peopple happy with it I think.

s

I'm not that familiar with the 40k universe, honestly. My comments stem more from the fact that it is far more distinct from the other games out there. You can call Warhammer dark fantasy, low fantasy, or whatever, but it is still fantasy. I LOVE fantasy, but that market is choked with titles. I think warhammer is different enough to put off many people that like fantasy, but not different enough to pull people that don't.

Moreover, they'll have to dramatically change some things, i think. The most dangerous opponents in the Warhammer Fantasy universe aren't monsters, much of the time, they are other people. This isn't a land replete with dragons and such that people are going to expect.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2004, 06:08:08 PM »

The most dangerous opponents in the Warhammer Fantasy universe aren't monsters

That's a good point, and with that idea in mind I think Warhammer Fantasy could be an exceptional PvP game if designed right.  I somehow doubt they will have the nerve to go that route, but it could make for some great gameplay.

s

Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2004, 09:52:39 PM »

IIRC the original plan for Warhammer Online was an online version of the tabletop game, not an MMO. If only they'd carried through with that.

"We do what we must because we can."
X-Box Live: TragicNut
malichai11
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2004, 09:56:58 PM »

I lost all interest when they got rid of perm-death.
Nameless
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2004, 07:27:49 PM »

You could do a 40k thing with a WWII Online kind of deal.  Where you could play a character in different ongoing battles, do insurgencies, spec-ops, whatever.....

It would be kind of fun to pilot an eldar jetbike in an assault on a space marine fortress or something....

"I don't like signatures"  -  me
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: