http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 12:02:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Puzzle Quest for DS/PSP  (Read 23629 times)
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 30, 2007, 01:57:11 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on March 30, 2007, 01:55:39 PM

I thought Thrust though was a single square destroy skill. If so, you'll gain the effects of whatever you blow up. I found it useful for immediately taking out those +5 Skulls for massive damage.

That's what I usually use it for as well.  Hitting a +5 skull will destroy everything around it (3 X 3), and you get whatever mana/damage comes from it.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: March 30, 2007, 04:47:36 PM »

Must play more Puzzle Quest...

You know you've played WAY too much is when you close your eyes and you see a moving board in the darkness. smile

And I've found that I no longer want to match Skulls anymore. Instead, I Fireball them (destroy a 3x3 grid and gain the effects for doing so). Why you ask?

The normal 1 damage for destroying a Skull becomes 4 when you stack the Wizard's Hand of Power (+2 to all damage done, can stack twice) and a weapon that does +1 damage. So I can either match 3 Skulls for 3 damage, or I can Fireball them for 20 (12 plus the 8 damage the Fireball itself does).

This game is just amazingly fun. Yeah, it's only Bejeweled, but it rocks.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 30, 2007, 05:06:03 PM »

I've actually migrated to using skulls -more- as my build has evolved.  I've got several items that increase my damage based on my red mana stores, and with 50+ mana stored up (easy to do with my spells) I do about 20 damage when I match 3 skulls.  Plus, I get even more opportunities for skull damage since I have an item that spawns a skull at the start of my turn 50% of the time, as well as the spell that turns greens into skulls.
unbreakable
« Reply #163 on: March 30, 2007, 05:14:45 PM »

I really need to start checking into the powerups and stuff.  I've like 21st level, and it still takes a long time to beat people.

I used the forge to create an item.  Do I need to do anything special afterward?  I expected to have an item in my inventory or something.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 30, 2007, 05:20:27 PM »

This might be TMI but...

When I'm on the pot at work the tiles on the bathroom floor look like the board from Puzzle Quest.  While I'm ... busy in there ... I line up the tiles & think about strategy.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: March 30, 2007, 05:23:03 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on March 30, 2007, 05:14:45 PM

I used the forge to create an item.  Do I need to do anything special afterward?  I expected to have an item in my inventory or something.

Well, you need to equip the item after you create it. smile  And yes, it should be in your inventory.

Is there any way to know what kind of item (head, armor, weapon, accessory) you're forging before you start making it?  I need a new piece of armor but everything I try to forge comes out as headpieces or accessories.
unbreakable
« Reply #166 on: March 30, 2007, 05:24:01 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 30, 2007, 05:23:03 PM

Well, you need to equip the item after you create it. smile  And yes, it should be in your inventory.

Is there any way to know what kind of item (head, armor, weapon, accessory) you're forging before you start making it?  I need a new piece of armor but everything I try to forge comes out as headpieces or accessories.

Hmm... I'll look again.  It said it created an item, but I didn't see anything, and the runes are still in my inventory.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 30, 2007, 05:30:43 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on March 30, 2007, 05:24:01 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on March 30, 2007, 05:23:03 PM

Hmm... I'll look again.  It said it created an item, but I didn't see anything, and the runes are still in my inventory.

You don't use up the runes.  Also, the name of the item (at least the first few words) should appear in the top left corner when you're crafting it, at least on the DS version.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 30, 2007, 05:45:28 PM »

Ok.  Why the hell is this game so darn addictive?  I started playing on lunch time here at work.  Lunch was over.  I wanted to keep playing.  So I took two 3-ring binders and placed them on my desk, effectively making a wall.  Put the DS next to it and continued playing.  Anyone walking in will see my back and think I'm hunched over some reports/papers.  If they come close I close the lid on the DS and slip a paper over it!   ninja

Am I creative or what?  Back to playing...

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 30, 2007, 05:52:12 PM »

Quote from: Starshifter on March 30, 2007, 05:45:28 PM

Ok.  Why the hell is this game so darn addictive?  I started playing on lunch time here at work.  Lunch was over.  I wanted to keep playing.  So I took two 3-ring binders and placed them on my desk, effectively making a wall.  Put the DS next to it and continued playing.  Anyone walking in will see my back and think I'm hunched over some reports/papers.  If they come close I close the lid on the DS and slip a paper over it!   ninja

I know you think they don't notice, but it's kind of a giveaway how you always stand up with both hands in the air and yell, "JENGA!" when you get 4-in-a-row.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 30, 2007, 06:11:33 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on March 30, 2007, 05:52:12 PM

Quote from: Starshifter on March 30, 2007, 05:45:28 PM

I know you think they don't notice, but it's kind of a giveaway how you always stand up with both hands in the air and yell, "JENGA!" when you get 4-in-a-row.

icon_lol

Actually, you are close to being right.  I got a 5-in-a-row and pumped my fist while saying "YES"!  Uh, YES I finally found that regulatory citation I was looking for!!!

XM Channel 76
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 30, 2007, 06:23:34 PM »

So what's the general consensus as to which version is better - PSP or DS?  I can find the DS pretty readily around here, but the PSP version is sold out... I'm trying to decide if its worth holding out for or if I should just pull the trigger on the DS version.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
unbreakable
« Reply #172 on: March 30, 2007, 06:34:51 PM »

I like using the stylus, so IMO the DS version would be better.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 30, 2007, 07:19:09 PM »

Like using the stylus & the companion bug in the PSP version made it a "no sale" for me.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 30, 2007, 07:48:11 PM »

No PSP to compare to, but I'm having zero issues with the DS.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 30, 2007, 08:28:47 PM »

I've been having the "oh no that's not the move I wanted" problem on DS once every 4-5 matches, so it really isn't an issue if you aren't sloppy on the controls. I'd say go DS.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: March 30, 2007, 08:34:58 PM »

The PSP version looks quite like the PC demo, but other than that (and the one known bug on the PSP version, and stylus control on the DS one), they're pretty much the same game.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 30, 2007, 08:57:49 PM »

Crap, EB received a PSP copy while I was at lunch today so I went ahead and got it - what's the bug you guys mentioned?  Is it a game breaker (i.e. should I return it for a DS version)?

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
unbreakable
« Reply #178 on: March 30, 2007, 09:00:44 PM »

I wouldn't call it a show-stopper.

Every so often, you can pick up companions who grant various bonuses.  For example, one guy damages any undead you fight, another gives you bonuses when attacking towns, etc.

It's honestly not huge.  If you prefer playing on the PSP, don't let it stop you.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 30, 2007, 09:10:08 PM »

No DS so the PSP version was the way I went.  The companion bonuses would be nice, but I don't particularly miss them either.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: March 30, 2007, 11:47:42 PM »

Cool, in that case I'm cracking this sucker open... :-)

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 31, 2007, 03:00:53 AM »

The companion bonus is worth almost nothing. The only reason you should go DS over PSP is if you want the stylus control more than good graphics.

The only thing I would think the PSP would be bad for is when you are levelling up mounts and the timer to make moves keeps getting shorter and shorter. I know when it was down to 5 seconds or less, I can't imagine how you could do it with the PSP controls.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
unbreakable
« Reply #182 on: March 31, 2007, 05:36:28 AM »

Woot!  The knight is finally kicking some butt.  I forged a weapon which boosts the red mana I start with, so all I need to do is get some green mana, and I can start spamming Stun.  Good times.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 31, 2007, 01:30:23 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on March 31, 2007, 05:36:28 AM

Woot!  The knight is finally kicking some butt.  I forged a weapon which boosts the red mana I start with, so all I need to do is get some green mana, and I can start spamming Stun.  Good times.

Yeah, I make heavy use of stun and thrust...those are really my mainstays. It's a really good idea to use stun if you can before thrusting a red skull.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 31, 2007, 02:23:55 PM »

Here’s a quick money making tip.  It might be considered exploiting a bug, so take it for what it’s worth.

Win the towns of Entmouth and The Trarg.  For some reason, random creatures rarely seem to spawn on the trails between these two cities and Bartonia.  One you’ve won these two towns, just run a route from Bartonia, to Entmouth, to The Trarg and you’ll get money from each one. 150 from both the Trarg & Bartonia, and 225 from Entmouth.   That’s 525 for each trip, which takes about 10 seconds.  You can run this circle pretty much at whim without having to fight any random battles.

Just for kicks, I tried running this route for 5 minutes straight.  Managed to rack up 12,500 gold for the effort and didn’t have to fight once.  My knight pretty much walks through anyone now at 23rd level.  With a 29 in battle, 28 in Morale, and 15 in each of the elemental masteries, I gain a ton of mana and do great damage every turn.  smile

EDIT:  Looks like this trick only works with a slow mount.  Riding a Giant Rat, you'll get money from each city on nearly every trip.  If you've got a fast mount (i.e. a griffon), you'll only get money every 4-5 trip to the town.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 05:56:19 PM by Gratch » Logged

Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 01, 2007, 12:31:47 AM »

Holy crap this game is addicting...

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 01, 2007, 12:54:46 AM »

Quote from: Dimmona on April 01, 2007, 12:31:47 AM

Yeah, I play it pretty much constantly.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: April 01, 2007, 05:24:51 AM »

Quote from: Dimmona on April 01, 2007, 12:31:47 AM

And the Forum Effect (tm) wins again. biggrin

That said - yeah, the game is addicting as hell.

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 01, 2007, 06:53:49 PM »

Here's how scary good this game is. I have sunk a ridiculous amount of time into the DS version in the past week, yet I still think I'm going to buy the PC version when it comes out - and keep playing both versions....  retard

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: April 01, 2007, 08:50:54 PM »

Quote from: JCC on April 01, 2007, 06:53:49 PM

Here's how scary good this game is. I have sunk a ridiculous amount of time into the DS version in the past week, yet I still think I'm going to buy the PC version when it comes out - and keep playing both versions....  retard

I need something to keep me occupied at work, so I'll be doing the same thing.

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 02, 2007, 12:42:54 AM »

If I actually want to accomplish anything... I have to leave the psp behind.  Game=way too addictive.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 03, 2007, 12:11:30 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on March 26, 2007, 11:12:40 AM

After playing the demo, I was already annoyed by the computer's psychic abilities.  All the posts here reporting that it just gets worse have made my final decision for me, and I won't be getting any version of the game.  I absolutely can't stand playing games where the computer has access to info I don't have, and doesn't make any effort to hide it.

Oh well, it was a neat concept.

I'll track down the quote, but there are some posts on the official boards from the devs repeatedly stating that the cpu has no pre-knowledge and there is no cheating whatsoever in the game.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 03, 2007, 12:23:56 AM »

Yup, definitely no cheating, just a really interesting case study in perception and human psychology.
unbreakable
« Reply #193 on: April 03, 2007, 12:26:10 AM »

I saw the quote (it's in the thread somewhere), but I'm not entirely convinced it doesn't cheat.

Cheating is generally a way to make the AI more competitive without actually, you know, improving the AI.  So when the AI guy says he is lazy, that doesn't convince me it doesn't cheat (in fact, it convinces me even more that it cheats).

I haven't found that it cheats so bad as to make the game unbeatable, however.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 03, 2007, 12:35:40 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on March 26, 2007, 09:38:17 PM

I'm playing a level 20 wizard with a deep focus on fire spells. My Fire Mastery skill is at 29, while my Air Mastery is 28. My third focus skill is Cunning, which is at 11. Morale has been pumped up to 10 through the use of crafted items. The rest of the skills I haven't put any points in. My combat spells are Fire Bolt, Mana Burn, Heat Sink, Fireball, Flaming Skulls, and Cauterize. My Giant Rat gives me Rabid Bite which I rarely use. I've crafted some powerful custom items that make sure I start every battle with 27 red and 19 yellow mana, enough to cause serious pain to my opponent. I usually win initiative.

My purpose in battle isn't to build up a huge winning combo. Instead I try to be an opportunist with a spell for "every" situation and opponent. If my opponent has powerful spells that require lots of mana to cast (ogres with Thump! for example), I make sure to cast Mana Burn at every opportunity. Otherwise I will attempt to build my blue and green mana reserves to a respectable level and cast Fireball at any clusters of skulls, especially the +5 skulls that not only deal extra damage but also increase the blast radius of the Fireball. If I get low on red mana while my opponent has stockpiled it, I'll cast Heat Sink. If there are no viable clusters of skulls and I don't need any more mana, I'll cast Fire Bolt. Cauterize is for emergencies, so I rarely use it. The most dangerous spell in my arsenal is Flaming Skulls. I only cast it when I see that it will give me an extra turn immediately. I then pick up any other extra turns I can see, and finally blast as many skulls as I can with another Fireball.

Using these simple tactics I'm often capable of bringing my enemy down to 1/3 of his health or so before he's even capable of hurting me, depending on which enemy I face of course.

I would suggest you pick up Wake the Dead from a mob for this combo.  Turn a bunch of skulls to +5's then fireball them
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: April 03, 2007, 12:37:30 AM »

Quote from: unbreakable on March 26, 2007, 10:06:57 PM

Wow, sounds like my strategies pretty much suck.  I took the knight dude, the best I can do is cast the occasional stun.

heh, I need to just read the whole thread before posting!

The knight actually has a near infinite combo involving stun once you get level 20+
unbreakable
« Reply #196 on: April 03, 2007, 12:40:19 AM »

Yeah, I noticed that after I acquired stuff which starts me out with almost maxxed out Red mana.  All I need to do is focus on Green, and I can keep the computer stunlocked for quite some time.

[edit] anyone find a trick to Research?  I have all the skills except for the ones ranked "very hard", but those are pretty much the ones I would want...
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 03, 2007, 03:42:25 AM »

In case anyone's wondering, there is a 99,999 gold cap.  (I messed around with the money trick while watching 24 tonight)

Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 05, 2007, 05:30:24 PM »

How do you guys spend your gold?  Do you buy new equipment for your character or go for all the citadel upgrades first?  I don't know what to do.  I purchased the dungeon and the stable (to train mounts).  I'm now hesitant to purchase anything.  I would like to upgrade my equipment but I could really use those citadel upgrades.  Any thoughts???

On a related note, how the heck do you get lots of gold?  I'm currently a Level 11 Knight and I have only 1,100 gold saved up and I'm unsure how to spend it because I don't want to gimp my Knight.

XM Channel 76
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 05, 2007, 05:48:52 PM »

Quote from: Starshifter on April 05, 2007, 05:30:24 PM

How do you guys spend your gold?  Do you buy new equipment for your character or go for all the citadel upgrades first?  I don't know what to do.  I purchased the dungeon and the stable (to train mounts).  I'm now hesitant to purchase anything.  I would like to upgrade my equipment but I could really use those citadel upgrades.  Any thoughts???

On a related note, how the heck do you get lots of gold?  I'm currently a Level 11 Knight and I have only 1,100 gold saved up and I'm unsure how to spend it because I don't want to gimp my Knight.

I'm at level 27 now.  I've built all the citadel structures, so nearly all my gold goes into upgrading my stats at the temple.  I've bought a few things at the shop, but most of it goes to simply increasing stat points. 

I posted a money making trick a few posts up on this page.  I did it for an hour straight while watching TV and racked up 99,999 gold.  I suppose it's sort of an exploit/cheat, so ymmv on whether or not you want to use it.   

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: