http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 06:09:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mortal Kombat Deception  (Read 2520 times)
Lockdown
Gaming Trend Senior Member

LD

View Profile
« on: September 13, 2004, 11:07:58 PM »

Well, I have to say this game looks to be awesome.  Now, I have never been a tremendous fighting game person (I just never seem to take the time to learn the right combos), but that doesn't mean I don't LOVE to play them.

But for you "old-timers" out there, check out this mode:

Kombat Chess:

MK Chess is perhaps the most intriguing of the new modes, as it seeks to combine the MK aesthetic with the old school charm of Archon. In the presentation, that game was mentioned directly several times, and it appears the concept behind the mode is right on par with Archon's mix of strategy and action. For those unfamiliar with the game, it is essentially a form of chess, where players try to control the board and maneuver their pieces into power positions to be victorious. However, whenever two pieces meet on a square, there is combat—or in this case, Kombat—to determine who gets to keep that chunk of real estate, and who gets toppled. In this mode, you will have the ability to set a role for each of your fighters before going into battle, enhancing their abilities in strategic ways in order to ensure victory.

and

The set of chess players for the match is chosen from the current roster of playable characters. The more characters that players unlock, the more varied the armies become. In choosing the army, each character is assigned to a different spot on the chess board and gets the move set and strength reduction that comes with it. The pawns in the front only have half of a health bar to begin with, while the back row characters get more.

While playing the game, the different characters get to move around the 10 by 10 board and will initiate a regular 3D fight once opposing pieces come into contact with each other. The attacking character gets a health boost and, if they're standing on one of the green squares, another boost as well. Even though the defending pieces have a disadvantage, there's still a fighting chance to put up a defense.

Instead of moving around, some pieces can also cast spells on other characters on the board. Other characters can be killed from afar, imprisoned in a cage, or healed up to help out a teammate. These spells need to be recharged for a second use so they're being balanced for more strategic gameplay. With a mix of fighting and careful movement on the board, Chess Kombat is opening itself up for a variety of ways to play. It's all pretty impressive for a side project.

These are excerpts taken from the IGN preview.  

And... this mode is LIVE baby.

Way cool!

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2004, 11:17:46 PM »

WHY IS THE TEXT BLUE!??!!?!?

Anyways, I grew up with Mortal Kombat (as opposed to Street Fighter) in my youthen days, so I've high hopes for this one.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2004, 11:20:35 PM »

IN!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2004, 11:42:06 PM »

Hey mine is blue too!
...wait, now it's red...
dammit.

Anyways, I loved the last Mortal Kombat and I loved Archon back in the day, so here's hoping they don't find a way to screw it up...

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2004, 04:16:36 AM »

I was incredibly impressed with title at E3.  This became a Day One purchase for me when I saw it.

Also, I think you guys will be pleasantly surprised by something we have in the works.  I won't say anything more than that though.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
ingrin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2004, 04:34:12 AM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"

MK meets Archon?!?  This game went from off my radar to a damn near must-have...
I have fond memories of the first two MK games in the arcade, and Archon is one of my personal favorite games of all time (its actually on my top 50 list).  Damn you Winter 2004, why must you have so many AAA games!  *Shakes Fist*
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2004, 12:25:01 PM »

ingrin, time to start grinding up aspirin and selling it on the streets in little plastic baggies. Tongue

I'm not sure about this though... DOAUltimate, MK:Deception... tough call.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2004, 12:34:39 PM »

Yes... as if my and Devil's games didn't already take forever to play, we have just found a game mode that will exceed even our monumental standards.  (don't even ask how long it takes us to play a 9 inning baseball game).

We should probably petition for a "save game" mode in Kombat Chess Devil, as I highly doubt you and I would get through a game in the course of one sitting!

-- -- -- -- -- -- --

I must say, (if they don't make any major blunders), this mode alone is going to make the game a first day purchase for me.  I have often wondered why an extremely well done and more complex version of Archon has not been remade.  Granted, I wouldn't necessarily call this "complex", but the fact that the creators are adding this mode bodes well for the future of that sub-sub-genre.

I am also glad to see there is some interest in this sub-game from others here at CG.  I am really hoping the whole package runs smooth as silk over LIVE.

Way to go MK:Deception developers!

LD

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2004, 01:26:34 PM »

Quote from: "Graham"
I was incredibly impressed with title at E3.  This became a Day One purchase for me when I saw it.

Me too!  I played it for like an hour with the same guy and only beat him one time...  It was still outstanding.  Can't wait.

Go Gunners...
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2004, 02:12:12 PM »

Maybe we could do a reverse-chess to see who can lose first? :lol:

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2004, 02:35:46 PM »

I'll throw some chum in the anticipation-water.  The project we are making on MK spans 5 days and more than 20 pages.  Mmm....I do love the torture.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2004, 02:51:43 PM »

I'm looking forward to this game as well.  I don't know how hyped I am to shell out $59.99 in order to get the original Mortal Kombat though (along with lots of other extras).  How about you guys?

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2004, 03:16:44 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
I'm looking forward to this game as well.  I don't know how hyped I am to shell out $59.99 in order to get the original Mortal Kombat though (along with lots of other extras).  How about you guys?

No way.  I'm content with the new one.  

I have no desire to go back and play the old ones, afterall that is what emulators are for.  (I own them, so no sweat).

Go Gunners...
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2004, 06:26:25 PM »

Don't forget the other side game - Puzzle Kombat - a Super Puzzle Fighter-esque game with MK characters.  I'm actually more interested in these two side games than the regular game.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2004, 08:04:49 PM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
Don't forget the other side game - Puzzle Kombat - a Super Puzzle Fighter-esque game with MK characters.  I'm actually more interested in these two side games than the regular game.

Me too. I think that Puzzle Kombat is Live enabled also. Can't wait to use my Super Puzzle Fighter skillz (that's right, I used a "z" baby!  :wink: ) to pwn some Gone Golders online.....
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2004, 08:06:05 PM »

Quote from: "Ralph-Wiggum"
Me too. I think that Puzzle Kombat is Live enabled also. Can't wait to use my Super Puzzle Fighter skillz (that's right, I used a "z" baby!  :wink: ) to pwn some Gone Golders online.....

Yes, it is Live enabled...and what's this about Gone Golders?!? slywink

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2004, 09:16:37 PM »

So Ralph, are you going to post the NFL hits of the week every week?

Go Gunners...
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2004, 04:34:19 AM »

If you guys want to check out a very cool video...

Gamespot has one up talking about the story mode.

It's called Official Movie 3  and is dated 9/16/04.

This is going to be one excellent game.

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/mortalkombatdeception/index.html

And check this out:

LD

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2004, 12:09:38 PM »

Mortal Monday is T-minus 1 week...woohoo!  Something pretty cool starts on the CG Home Page today related to Mortal Kombat that Graham (Keith) has been working on.  Be Prepared!

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2004, 01:11:08 PM »

Excellent.  I am looking forward to whatever it is.

BTW - Does anyone know a complete list of playable characters?  I can't find that one specific piece of information anywhere, although I do know the list is pretty extensive.

LD

LD

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2004, 01:18:31 PM »

Go to the Mortal Kombat Deception Home Page and click on Warriors.  14 of the supposed 23 (or more, I forget) are noted there.  I would guess maybe by Friday or Monday there would be a complete list...then again, maybe they want to keep the rest secret *shrug*.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: