http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 01:04:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mass Effect 3 - Spoilers/Ending (Now with Spoiler Tags)  (Read 4463 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 21, 2012, 06:06:37 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on March 21, 2012, 04:55:37 PM

see,the thing i want most right now,before any DLC,or any different endings,is THEIR explanation on the ending,seeing things from their point of view may explain some of the seemingly dumb things we have witnessed in that end and what they were thinking off as a whole etc

Yeah, I agree - specifically because they came out and said there would not be a "choose A, B or C" and that the endings would be markedly different from each other. I would respect them a lot more if they just came out and said, "we're sorry, we blew it. We had something in mind, but it turned out we couldn't pull it off given the time constraints."

If their excuse is that the entire of ME3 is the "end", then I'll just laugh. Yes, in my game I forged peace between the Geth and Quarians and in random guy's game, Tali throws herself off a cliff. That will color the story after its resolution, but the actual resolution of the game is still just red/blue/green and a magical jungle planet.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 21, 2012, 07:03:58 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on March 21, 2012, 05:47:34 PM

I saw the indoctrination theory video and immediately dismissed it. It's grasping at straws ("you can see the boy smirk" - No you can't!), doesn't have a single piece of evidence in it beyond absurd speculation, and is jumping at a conclusion that goes against the evidence we've seen since Mass Effect 1. Indoctrination has been subtle (for the person suffering from it) in every single case we've seen. In every case the indoctrinated person has believed himself in full control of the situation. In fact, I can't find anything about Shepard's situation that reminds me of other characters' indoctrinations.

What the heck was Shepard indoctrinated for anyway? If he was actually given the power he had at the end, that wouldn't really make sense for the Reapers to allow him to defeat their entire purpose like that. If he was indoctrinated they wouldn't have let him.

If he didn't have the power to do anything about the Reapers and it all took place in his mind, that's even worse. No other indoctrinated character experienced anything like that in any of the sources I've seen.

No, indoctrination is a poor theory and should be dismissed.

not really sure what else i can say TiLT,obviously you have not watched THIS video that was uploaded on the 19th,and answers quite a few of your questions here and doesn't mention anything to do with the kid smirking (if he is)

sure there are a few absurd speculations,but can you blame them with the end we were given,I think a lot of it though does still make sense

You can see Black Streams come into Shepards vision when at the end,and he is fighting within himself with the good part (Anderson) and the bad part (TIM),and the codex voice over in the video answers a lot about how Indoctrination effects different people

from the Codex on Indoctrination in Mass Effect 3
    Reaper “indoctrination” is an insidious means of corrupting organic minds, “reprogramming” the brain through physical and psychological conditioning using electromagnetic fields, infrasonic and ultrasonic noise, and other subliminal methods. The Reaper’s resulting control over the limbic system leaves the victim highly susceptible to its suggestion.

Organics undergoing indoctrination may complain of headaches and buzzing or ringing in their ears. As time passes, they have feelings of “being watched” and hallucinations of “ghostly” presences.

again though.....i don't know whether this is right,i am just liking their explanation,it's better than the one i had(i didn't have one Tongue)

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 21, 2012, 07:41:38 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on March 21, 2012, 05:49:37 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on March 21, 2012, 04:55:37 PM

see,the thing i want most right now,before any DLC,or any different endings,is THEIR explanation on the ending,seeing things from their point of view may explain some of the seemingly dumb things we have witnessed in that end and what they were thinking off as a whole etc

Let me translate that press release:

"Coming in April: New paid DLC that expands and explains the ending to Mass Effect 3."

Yeah, seems like a bullshit blog post either way. I have little hope for any sort of proper ending that does the rest of the series justice.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 21, 2012, 08:30:33 PM »

I get a little more irritated at the ending the more I think about it. It's not like the "right" ending is that hard.

(Fake ending)
Spoiler for Hiden:
Pick up the ending from where Sheppard and Anderson are sitting together. Hackett lets Sheppard know the Crucible isn't working. Sheppard does "something" (with EDI's help perhaps or maybe he has to win a boss fight against the "catalyst") and makes it work. The crucible WORKS, and magically wipes out the reapers (ala the red ending). Depending on your readiness (which should by the way be "maxable" without playing a second of multiplayer or any iOS app)) some of your crew die along the way or in the aftermath (including possibly Sheppard himself). Then you have an epilogue where you show what happened to the survivors (including Sheppard + love interest if they are alive.) This ending requires absolutely zero thought and no one would praise it for being particularly original or creative, but it would be SATISFYING. Would anyone really complain about this?

I sort of agree with what KG said in the console thread. Even if they provide a free patch/DLC that gives us a "good" ending, I don't think it makes any difference. It's like trying to put water back in the faucet. It's too late.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 21, 2012, 09:50:00 PM »

I've translated Ray's comments for everyone...
Building on their research Trying to cover their asses and backtrack, Exec Producer Casey Hudson and the team are hard at work on a number of game content initiatives that will help answer the questions, providing more clarity for those seeking further closure to their journey unscrew up the ending so you'll stop wondering what the hell happened.

You’ll hear more on this in April. We’re working hard to maintain the right balance between the artistic integrity of the original story's royally f*cked up ending, while addressing the fan feedback unending fan abuse and rage that makes us want to cry. we’ve received.

This is in addition to our existing plan to continue providing new milking the Mass Effect content udder shamelessly for every buck EA can get and suckering you into buying new full games even though we said the trilogy ended here, so rest assured that your journey in the Mass Effect universe can, and will continue to cost you even more money than you've already spent on it.

The reaction to the release of Mass Effect 3 has been unprecedented. On one hand, some of our loyal fans are passionately expressing their displeasure about how their game concluded so pissed off about the ending it has ruined their enjoyment of the entire Mass Effect franchise; we care about this feedback, and we’re planning to directly address it hate negative PR and we're going to take this opportunity to make more more money in remedying it.

However, most folks appear to agree that the game as a whole before the ending that pisses everybody off is exceptional, with more than 75 critics giving it a perfect review score and a review average in the mid-90s. Net, I’m proud of the team, but we can and must always strive to do better we're gonna kick their asses over all this negative publicity.
I deal with press releases in my job every day. So often I really wish they'd say what they're really thinking.  icon_smile
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 09:54:06 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 22, 2012, 12:55:33 PM »

Okay..here is an ending we can all agree upon icon_biggrin

The Animal House Ending Extended Cut

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 23, 2012, 03:01:31 PM »

Apparently that petition for a new ending managed to confuse people as to whether they were donating to Child's Play or donating for a new ending, so now people are apparently trying to cancel donations to Child's Play. I don't really get it -- I don't think EA's begging for money, ya know? And it's not like players were going to be able to physically insert their "Shepard gets married and has a lot of hybrid android babies" (or, perhaps something more thoughtful  icon_smile) happy ending into the game.

Child’s Play And “Retake Mass Effect”
Apparently some of the people giving to the cause seemed to think that they were paying for a new ending to Mass Effect. She’s [Jamie, the Child's Play coordinator] been asked what the goal is, and how much they need to raise in order to get the ending produced. We’ve also been contacted by PayPal due to a high number of people asking for their donations back.  This is in addition to readers who simply couldn’t understand how this was connected to Child’s Play’s mission.  We were dealing with a lot of very confused people, more every day, and that told us we had a problem.

We have policies in place to deal with direct abuse: we don’t allow companies to use Child’s Play in order to sell more stuff.  To that end we do not allow deals like “1 cent of every dollar goes to Child’s Play!” or whatever.

But this isn’t anywhere on that continuum!  This is a passionate community that formed around one thing, and some of that passion was expressed in charitable giving.  I actually support this cause, but I am a pessimist, and I’m thinking about the next time something like this happens - when someone attaches Child’s Play to something we can’t get behind, or leverages your history of generosity and fellow feeling for their own weird bullshit.  So, we need to have something like a policy on this.  This is the best way I can think to say it:

Child’s Play cannot be a tool to draw attention to a cause.  Child’s Play must be the Cause.

Nothing like this has ever happened in the almost ten years the charity has been running, so it kind of threw me for a loop.  Thanks for listening.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 03:05:29 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 23, 2012, 10:51:11 PM »

Cross-posting from OO, after someone over there asked what people thought the ending should have been. I thought it was worth a response, since "talk-about-improving-it" has a much more positive bent to it than just "describing-how-much-it-sucks" (which I was pretty much burned out on). Having thought about it, this is what I came up with:

The problem is more than just that the three choices suck:

1) There should be substantially more done with the War Assets. The presence (or absence, or relative strength of) fleet-type assets should have had a noticeable impact on the space battle. By which I mean that each type of fleet you could have should have had a cinematic moment -- I want to see what the Salarian ships for which I betrayed the Krogan race were worth (or who died if I didn't have them); I want to see how the Geth and Quarians work together in combat (or don't, as the case may be), etc. Ideally, the space battle should have actually had multiple stages, with Shepard able to give orders to different parts of the armada, similar to how you utilized your squad in the Collector Base in ME2. How well the battle went should have been determined by whether you had the right forces to counter the Reapers at each point -- and whether those forces succeeded or failed (even if optimally placed) could have been determined by their individual War Asset rating.

2) Something similar should have been done during the ground assault section, only using the more individual War Assets: Aralakh Company, the biotic artillery (noticeably different with or without Jack), the Salarian STG (do they only Hold The Line if Major Kirrahe is there, or do they survive without him?), etc. The scene where Anderson details the assault plan -- with the beginnings of a map and everything -- almost seems like it was originally intended to give you a chance to give tactical input, only they never got around to finishing it. The final section of Dragon Age: Origins (where you can call in support from each of the allies you've recruited throughout the game) would have been a decent template here.

3) Assuming we keep the choose-an-ending mechanic (which I don't hate on principle, only that it was done so cheaply and badly), the first point is that the justification for the whole Reaper invasion needs to be much, much stronger. Because, as much time the game spent establishing the whole Illusive Man "humanity can take control of the Reapers" angle, that option needs to stay -- but the game needs to provide a much more compelling reason to take it. I think I'd have gone with these endings:

• Destroy the Reapers: this would be the altruistic, paragon ending. Shepard would die (he would know this when making the choice), the Citadel would be destroyed and the Mass Relays would become inert (having them simply not work would get around the whole "they blow up like a supernova" thing). I actually don't have a problem with eliminating the Mass Relays -- the thing most people seem to have forgotten is that ME1 established that the Citadel and  Mass Relays were actually a Reaper trap to funnel the civilizations of each cycle along the same technological path, to make them easier to exterminate. In a pure "end this once and for all" ending, then, I think it's reasonable to eliminate the relays. The Reaper's death throes would still inflict significant damage to Earth, however, and some of your companions could die in the process. Bottom line: Reapers gone forever but at a very bloody cost and galactic civilization set back two hundred years or so.

• Control the Reapers: this should be the renegade ending, the Dark Knight-esque "make the choice that no one else can make" one. In contrast to the presented costs of the "Destroy the Reapers" ending, you should have been offered the chance to save everyone not already dead and preserve the Citadel and the relays, thus offering the brightest possible future for the galaxy. The price, though, would be that Shepard would have to go through Illusive Man-type upgrades and then become a Reaper (either merging with Harbinger or taking control of the human reaper from ME2, if you preserved the Collector base). And this is where indoctrination should have made an appearance in the ending: you would be told that you would have the power to lead the Reapers back into dark space but, living for all eternity as a Reaper, there would be no guarantee that you wouldn't eventually truly become one of them and ultimately lead the next cycle of extinction yourself. If you chose this ending, Shepard's last words would be, "assuming direct control".

• Fight the Reapers: Like (the poster on OO who started the discussion), I want this to be an option. I want it to take the place of the Synthesis option and only be available if you've unlocked all or almost all (95%? 98%?) of the possible War Assets (without the disgusting MP-multiplier thing). Shepard would live and the galactic infrastructure would remain intact but the cost of this ending would be extremely personal: most of your companions would die in the prolonged battle for earth; the rest would die in the years of continuous fighting that would be required to drive the Reapers out of the rest of the galaxy. The Normandy would be destroyed and Shepard would become a reviled figure in galactic history, the soldier who was unwilling to sacrifice himself and so forced the galaxy to bleed more than it ever had before. Only your love interest would remain by your side. Shepard would live, the Reapers would be permanently exterminated (eventually), and the galaxy would be free for all time (and with the Mass Relays to help with the rebuilding) but it would cost you your ship and your legacy. Would a happy ending for Shepard (with lots of little blue babies ) be worth it?

I think those endings all retain the required bittersweet "not sunshine and rainbows" element. Each offers a different sort of victory (the Reapers are gone, versus the galaxy is preserved, versus Shepard lives) but all entail a significant amount of loss, which would be detailed in an expansive epilogue. Which brings me to the fourth thing that needs to be changed about the ending:

4) It needs an epilogue. I don't care if it's only text-based (due to how much ground there is to cover) but there were so many plot threads that should have been wrapped up while the credits were rolling: who dies, who lives and what do they do afterwards? Does Tali build her house on Rannoch? Do Anderson and Kahlee Sanders get together? Whatever becomes of Conrad Verner? Etc... Each of those hundreds of characters and decisions that were tracked across three games should have had at least one sentence devoted to their final fate.

So that's what I think should have happened, for all the good it does. slywink

EDIT> Thinking about it some more, I changed my version of the "Fight the Reapers" ending to keep your love interest alive and loyal. The temptation of that ending was supposed to be the "happy ending for Shepard" (at everyone else's expense) and it didn't seem like much of a happy ending if you died lonely.

- Ash
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 11:03:26 PM by Asharak » Logged
namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 24, 2012, 01:56:12 AM »

I like a lot of points listed, Asharak.  The first two I really like.  I was pretty disappointed that they didn't follow the same vein as ME2 with the Collector Base.  Seeing the assets that you worked so hard to build actually participate in the war really should have been in the game.

I agree wholeheartedly with the epilogue point.  WHAT HAPPENS TO ALL MY SQUADMATES!?  As for Anderson, I'm pretty sure he died sitting next to Shepard in the Citadel control room.

The one thing I don't understand is why the ghost kid finally explains what the purpose of the Reapers were for while the Reapers themselves couldn't ever explain it?
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 26, 2012, 06:11:12 PM »

PC Gamer asked some writers to chime in about the idea of changing the ending:

What do game writers and designers think about BioWare changing the Mass Effect 3 ending?
While it's interesting, even though provoking, imho, it's awfully early to ask that question because who really has any clue what Bioware's plans for DLC or altering/continuing the ending are? I'd hope they'd do this survey again once that's become more clear. Right now it's giving one's opinion on speculation, i.e., all they can really yak about is the general concept of "hey is it OK to adjust your ending if everyone hates it, or should you just 'live with it.'"

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: March 26, 2012, 07:25:11 PM »

Anyone who's willing to pay for Bioware to change the ending doesn't deserve to be called a gamer. "Tool" is more appropriate.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: March 27, 2012, 12:06:22 AM »

My response to all this talk from various media about gamer entitlement and artistic integrity is that maybe they should have given us a good ending that wasn't an intellectually bankrupt cliche in the first place.

Every creator that means to sell his product should rightly feel the pressure to create a good product from start to finish. This is not gamer entitlement, not screaming masses, this is the real truth. If you sell poorly made stuff, you should get shafted. However, because of the medium, and the desire to experience the product fresh, we can't place the right kind of pressure on them early on, they have to do it themselves, or they have to get input from people that they allow to see it.

And this is coming from a creator as well. I've seen the damage that can happen when the creators work in a vacuum. I have had ideas I've written up only to have my critique group rightfully call me out on how bad the concept is, but also how I can change it to work and still keep artistic integrity.

But, forget the talk of creator's rights and notions of changing the ending afterwards and let's get to the real issue.

The ending sucks. And yes, a lot of other game endings suck.

But, more importantly, it doesn't have to be that way.

I think we've reached a point where we're starting to get pretty fed up with how bad the endings are in our games. It's sad when Gears of War 3, a machismo laden action shooter, ends way better than the story and character spectacular of the year, Mass Effect 3.

Oh and don't give me that journey is the game and end argument. Because the game is the entire package, especially for someone who plays games primarily for story, as in the complete story.

Maybe if I was writing a work of fiction that really explores the human condition I would stand up for anything I wrote and be justified. But this is a scifi space opera that ends like a bad 2010 Space Odyssey fanfic. Which is even worse because 99% of the game is wonderful up to that point. But, since many players and I play for story, and story is ruined by the ending as presented to us, especially so for anyone who has kept track of the fiction over time.

I've noticed a lot of other creative types have been quick to jump in on Bioware's defense, especially in the plethora of news articles, and from game media writers. They often do this without having finished the game, and likewise they can't really talk.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 12:30:10 AM by Turtle » Logged
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 27, 2012, 02:17:11 AM »

There was bonus ending DLC for Fallout 3, I believe one of the biggest examples was Sherlock Holmes had the ending change.

And this isn't artistic integrety, there wasn't a singular group of people that had a full idea from start to finish for these 3 games. I believe there are only a few of the original writers from ME1 all the way through to 3. There might of a been a central idea or theme which they kind of kept through the series but from what I understand that kind of went out the window with the ending. Since the narrative changed so much within that last 5 minutes I have no issue calling for a new ending. Sadly we aren't going to get it, the only thing we will get is 10 dollar DLC that "explains" the shitastic ending.

Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 27, 2012, 03:34:43 AM »

I plan to happily youtube any new ending stuff from DLC... but certainly not giving more money for it
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 27, 2012, 11:02:51 AM »

DA2 and ME3 has seriously hurt my opinion of Bioware. I have no desire for DLC for ME3.  Honestly, I haven't youtube the other two endings as I just hated the ending ME3. 

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 27, 2012, 01:08:06 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on March 27, 2012, 12:06:22 AM

But, forget the talk of creator's rights and notions of changing the ending afterwards and let's get to the real issue.

The ending sucks. And yes, a lot of other game endings suck.

Here's the problem, though.  That's your opinion.  I actually enjoyed the ending.  I don't need things to be tied up in pretty packages and I enjoy oddball endings that there is no way I could predict.  Which of us is right?  We both are.  You know who else is right?  The creators of the ending.  Even if it ended in a way I didn't like, I would never ask the creator to change their ending.    I have no right.  I know it's hard because we pay for games, but I like  to see them as art and therefore I have no right to expect them to turn out a certain way.  All I can really do is voice my criticism and possibly not support them in the future if I feel strongly about it.  Kind of like how artists have patrons and can have their funding taken away.

Still, the best moment in the series for me wasn't in the ending and was a result of my own actions.  It was the geth/quarian choice I made:

Spoiler for Hiden:
I tried to play both sides, letting the geth get a shot, but the freaking quarians wouldn't back down and got annihilated.  Queue a shot of Tali throwing herself off a cliff and me instantly regretting what I did.  So much so, that I considered reloading, but I instead chose to live with my actions.

Days after finishing the game, I still think about it.  That is pretty amazing to me because it's a fictional character and yet it weighs on me.

I still thought long and hard before choosing my ending and, in a way, I like that better than the game just tallying up what I did along the way to give me an ending.  Whether my decision changes the ending drastically from other choices doesn't matter much to me, though.  That's a mechanics thing and I'd rather just enjoy the story I got than wonder how it compares to the other possible story.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 27, 2012, 02:00:08 PM »

I could live with ghost boy and the stupid 3 choices ending, if they actually showed me that all the work I did building alliances, scanning all the planets and getting all of the resources for that final fight mattered. It didn't. I could probably fucked up everything and done zero things and I would of made it to that same elevator and talked to ghost boy on the citadel. The ending invalidates all of the decisions and choices I made in the past 3 games. That is what pisses me off the most. I've actually tried to replay it, going through it and trying some different things because of Tuchanka and Mordin and because of that Quarian/Geth part. I have no issue recommending the game that 99% of the game is amazing, I'll just tell them to let Marauder Shields kill them. But the ending has just destroyed all of it for me.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: March 27, 2012, 03:19:50 PM »

Actually, I'd say play up to the point where you have a final sit down with Anderson. To me, that's where the game ends for me, mission accomplished. Crucible fires, Reapers wiped out without galaxy destroying mass relay supernovas, and the galaxy has to pickup the pieces and repercussions of all my decisions.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: March 27, 2012, 08:39:46 PM »

Quote from: SkyLander on March 27, 2012, 02:00:08 PM

I could live with ghost boy and the stupid 3 choices ending, if they actually showed me that all the work I did building alliances, scanning all the planets and getting all of the resources for that final fight mattered.
This is where I stand as well.  Many of my favorite game endings don’t have spectacular visual endings but they reinforce the game by showing that your actions mattered.  Endings like in Fallout1/2/Vegas and Dragon Age all do this wonderfully and encourage additional play throughs.  The Mass Effect 3 felt more like the ending belonged in a straight up action game.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 27, 2012, 08:43:25 PM »

Seems someone sent Bioware 402 Cupcakes

134 Green Cupcakes Labelled A
134 Blue Cupcakes Labelled B
134 Red Cupcakes Labelled C

GameInformer

A user on the BioWare forums quickly organized a donation pool of over $1,000 and made a massive order of approximately 402 cupcakes from a local bakery near BioWare's Edmonton studio. "As fans, we want Bioware to do right by us, and fix the endings for Mass Effect 3. But we also want to let Bioware know, that we trust them, and have faith in them.

The cupcakes are colored Red, Blue and Green and labeled A, B or C as a dig at executive produce Casey Hudson's statements where he said, “It’s not even in any way like the traditional game endings, where you can say how many endings there are or whether you got ending A, B, or C…The endings have a lot more sophistication and variety in them.”
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 08:47:16 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 28, 2012, 01:32:23 AM »

So there's a theory floating around on GameFAQs where they are saying that Shepard has been indoctrinated and tricked into believing that the Reapers have been defeated.  Check out this video and post what you think!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ythY_GkEBck
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 28, 2012, 05:53:40 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MlatxLP-xs

That video sums up things very well. Everyone should watch it.

namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 28, 2012, 06:16:52 AM »

The more I read about this indoctrination theory, the more the ending makes sense.  When you piece together all the things that were wrong about the ending, you will see that we as the gamer audience were indoctrinated by Bioware!  Just read this.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: March 28, 2012, 12:38:44 PM »

Don't go down that path.

Indoctrination theory is just wishful thinking from people trying to make sense of just a bad ending.

You ever read stuff from truthers, or denialists for major world events? I've read all the indoctrination theory stuff and it reads like the gamer nerd version of that. A bunch of depressed people at the end wanting to cherry pick and anomaly hunt for every little thing. Sure, it sounds interesting at first, but then you realize they don't really have anything concrete, and it's just a bunch of random things cherry picked to sound right.

You've got to let go and just admit that the ending was just that bad.

I know, it's a sad a scary thought to think your favorite game isn't ending in an interesting way. But let's face it if indoctrination really did happen, then the writers would have done more with the concept. Being indoctrinated is not something you just throw in at the end.

Not to mention all of indoctrination that they've shown us doesn't work like that.

Honestly, the best ending for me is the one described in Skylander's video. It still leaves a lot of the world open, a lot of ambiguity, and less work needed from the devs:
Shepard and Anderson, sitting there, mission accomplished. Anderson goes unconscious (whether he's dead or not doesn't matter, but perhaps some choices earlier could save him from death, but that's not the point).

Cut to the citadel opening up, and blasting the reapers.

Finish.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 01:36:59 PM by Turtle » Logged
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: March 28, 2012, 04:12:08 PM »

Quote from: SkyLander on March 28, 2012, 05:53:40 AM

Completely, utterly, and totally agree. There was no indoctrination, there was nothing else - it was just Bioware fucking up bigtime and them blatantly lying to us about how 'the series will end on more than just 3 choices'. Everyone needs to watch this video because it explains the mass number of failures in this 'ending'.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 04:14:49 PM by Destructor » Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 28, 2012, 07:29:24 PM »

Quote from: SkyLander on March 28, 2012, 05:53:40 AM

Great job by this guy.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 30, 2012, 01:55:12 PM »

Bioware have received their cupcakes

They have donated them to the local youth shelter

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 30, 2012, 09:17:27 PM »

Noticed this comic...

Virtual Shackles: Choose Wisely  smirk

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 04, 2012, 03:26:26 AM »

Guess I'm just not picky enough, because I thought the ending was fine.  Granted, it didn't blow me away and there's a lot more they could have done, but it certainly wasn't the worst ending I've ever seen.  After seeing all the nerdrage on the interwebs about it, I was half expecting the game to just randomly drop to a loading screen.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: April 04, 2012, 04:58:14 AM »

So apparently The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition is actually getting even more ending cinematics to flesh out various player choices.

Considering the kind of choices you are forced to make in that game, I don't think anyone will question artistic integrity of adding more effects of that.

Ugh.
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 04, 2012, 01:47:54 PM »

Bioware has a panel at PAX East, as well as them dropping stuff about new DLC plans. We will see what they say. Everything I've seen is that there is going to be more DLC to "flesh" out the ending. I don't want a fleshed out ending, I want a fucking new one. So, no more money for Bioware. I'll just youtube whatever they release.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 05, 2012, 03:25:12 PM »

Bioware Announces
BioWare Announces Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut [FREE, through April 12]
REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--BioWare, a Label of Electronic Arts Inc. announced Mass Effect™ 3: Extended Cut, a downloadable content pack that will expand upon the events at the end of the critically acclaimed Action RPG. Through additional cinematic sequences and epilogue scenes, the Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut will give fans seeking further clarity to the ending of Mass Effect 3 deeper insights into how their personal journey concludes. Coming this summer, the Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut will be available for download on the Xbox 360® videogame and entertainment system, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and PC for no extra charge*.

“We are all incredibly proud of Mass Effect 3 and the work done by Casey Hudson and team,” said Dr. Ray Muzyka, Co-Founder of BioWare and General Manager of EA’s BioWare Label. “Since launch, we have had time to listen to the feedback from our most passionate fans and we are responding. With the Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut we think we have struck a good balance in delivering the answers players are looking for while maintaining the team’s artistic vision for the end of this story arc in the Mass Effect universe.”

Casey Hudson, Executive Producer of the Mass Effect series added, “We have reprioritized our post-launch development efforts to provide the fans who want more closure with even more context and clarity to the ending of the game, in a way that will feel more personalized for each player.”
The fine print:
* OFFER EXPIRES APRIL 12, 2014. INTERNET CONNECTION AND ORIGIN (EA), XBOX LIVE, OR PLAYSTATION NETWORK ACCOUNT REQUIRED. VALID ONLY AT THE ORIGIN CLIENT SOFTWARE (WWW.ORIGIN.COM/ABOUT), XBOX LIVE MARKETPLACE OR PLAYSTATION STORE.

VALID WHEREVER MASS EFFECT 3 IS SOLD. MASS EFFECT 3 FULL GAME AND ORIGIN ACCOUNT (EA) REQUIRED TO USE/PLAY DOWNLOAD.

OFFER MAY NOT BE SUBSTITUTED, EXCHANGED, SOLD OR REDEEMED FOR CASH OR OTHER GOODS OR SERVICES. MAY NOT BE COMBINED WITH ANY OTHER OFFER, GIFT CARD, REBATE OR DISCOUNT COUPON. PRODUCT SUBJECT TO AVAILABILITY. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED, TAXED OR RESTRICTED BY LAW. LIMIT ONE OFFER PER PERSON. YOU MUST MEET THE MINIMUM AGE REQUIREMENTS, WHICH VARY BY COUNTRY, TO REGISTER FOR AN ORIGIN ACCOUNT (EA). EA MAY RETIRE ONLINE FEATURES AFTER 30 DAYS NOTICE POSTED ON WWW.EA.COM/2/SERVICE-UPDATES.

EA MIGHT CAUSE ERECTILE DYSFUNCTION, PREMATURE HAIR LOSS AND RAMPANT OBESITY.
OK I made up some of the all caps stuff...
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 03:33:46 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 05, 2012, 04:04:56 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on April 04, 2012, 03:26:26 AM

Guess I'm just not picky enough, because I thought the ending was fine.  Granted, it didn't blow me away and there's a lot more they could have done, but it certainly wasn't the worst ending I've ever seen.  After seeing all the nerdrage on the interwebs about it, I was half expecting the game to just randomly drop to a loading screen.

You're not crazy...the ending is fine.  I'm glad Bioware isn't doing a rewrite, because it's their artistic vision and they have a right to it.  Looks like they are just going to add more to it, which I view as a Director's Cut kind of thing to do and that works for me.  Plus, it's free, so what have you got to lose.  All these people getting so pissed off about the ending really need some perspective.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 05, 2012, 04:14:18 PM »

Its got to a point where that many people have been complaining about the ending and it has come full circle and people now think its cool to like the ending or support the ending,the ending sucked big time,end of story(heh heh)..sorry that i am not being cool

but i am tired of the whole thing TBH

BJ-the DLC wont be available until the summer so the DLC is 'free through April 12th' but it's April 12th 2014...just so people don't get confused that they only have a few days to download it(if they don't read your quotes) icon_biggrin

Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 05, 2012, 04:32:58 PM »

Quote from: SkyLander on April 04, 2012, 01:47:54 PM

Bioware has a panel at PAX East, as well as them dropping stuff about new DLC plans. We will see what they say. Everything I've seen is that there is going to be more DLC to "flesh" out the ending. I don't want a fleshed out ending, I want a fucking new one. So, no more money for Bioware. I'll just youtube whatever they release.

Ditto.  I'm nearing the end of my current game and guess I'll just quit soon and see if I feel like ending it in the summer.  Stupid, stupid writers and their 'artistic' vision.  Just end the game with the same level of scope and detail that you wrote the rest of the trilogy!  What a let down to such an epic trilogy of games.

edit - at least it's going to be free.  I'm glad they didn't set off that nuclear bomb.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 04:35:08 PM by Rowdy » Logged
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 05, 2012, 04:37:18 PM »

So I finally finished the game.  I've heard about the "disappointing ending, nothing spoilerish, but I was prepared to be let down, except that I wasn't.  I've said it before on a different forum and I'll say it here....

So according to some site called gamingtrend (http://gamingtrend.com/2012/03/21/bioware-responds-to-mass-effect-3-ending-criticisms/)

They are reporting that they are possibly release content that changes the ending....

I'm not sure that I like that.  I haven't finished the game, so I don't know what is going to happen, but there's plenty of games out there that has horrible endings, and not once I thought they should rewrite the game.  So what that you don't agree, it's the artist/creator view on the game, they have the final say, we're just along for the ride.

Well at least one good thing that came about this is that someone started a petition to have it changed and was able to raise $75,000 for the charity child's play.

It's their art, and they have full rights to create and end it however they choose. We're along for the ride. We don't demand book authors to change the story, we don't tell movie directors to change the endings (well unless it involves George Lucas Tongue)

I view it as I'm along for the ride.

What I didn't like about the ending, was more about presentation... 

The catalyst/entity/whatever tells me I have two choices (apparently there's 3, but I wasn't made aware of it) destroy or control the reapers.  It shows two ramps forming on each side of the pathway.  There is no indication which side is what (control or destroy) and your still walking slower than a 90 year old, so it's pretty tedious from the start.  Not knowing what I want to do yet, I wanted to explore and find out what ramp does what.  So I choose the left ramp, slowing make my way up, and as I get near the console, I can see it's the control option, based off what the cutscene showed.  You couldn't tell from standing at the bottom of the ramp, so you have to go all the way up. 

I decided that I want to destroy the reapers so I tried to head back down the ramp and make my way up the right ramp.  Except once you get so close to the console, it won't let you go down the ramp, so now I'm forced to choose control.  I haven't saved in awhile, mainly because the game decided it that I shouldn't be able to save for me (greyed out) and I didn't want to reload my last save game because of the slow movement, so I just grinned and took it.

Bad level design there, it should have been more clear on which ramp goes to where.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 05, 2012, 04:44:40 PM »

I think this will pacify some people, but overall I think this incident will reflect poorly on Bioware. It wouldn't have been so bad if they had just made a crappy ending, but they delivered exactly what they said they bragged that they wouldn't deliver. It was going to be really hard for them to come out of this looking like heroes.

As I said, I think the best thing they could have done was come out and say, "you know, we've read all the articles and watched all the videos, and you know, you guys are right. We blew it." I would have respected that a lot more.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 05, 2012, 05:03:03 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on April 05, 2012, 04:14:18 PM

Its got to a point where that many people have been complaining about the ending and it has come full circle and people now think its cool to like the ending or support the ending,the ending sucked big time,end of story(heh heh)..sorry that i am not being cool

I don't think anyone who is fine with the ending thinks they're cool.  I also think that people who don't like the ending and are rational about that dislike are fine as well.  It's these idiots petitioning the FTC and acting like Bioware showed them scenes of their moms getting raped that are about as uncool as you could be.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 05, 2012, 05:15:24 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on April 05, 2012, 05:03:03 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on April 05, 2012, 04:14:18 PM

I don't think anyone who is fine with the ending thinks they're cool.  I also think that people who don't like the ending and are rational about that dislike are fine as well.  It's these idiots petitioning the FTC and acting like Bioware showed them scenes of their moms getting raped that are about as uncool as you could be.

you have a point about the FTC thing...not even sure why people thought they needed to be involved,i thought it was a joke at first,or people had complained to them for a joke

Makes me wonder what they thought of the feedback about Dragon Age 2(i didn't get that game myself)

namatoki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 06, 2012, 12:53:02 AM »

Quote from: naednek on April 05, 2012, 04:37:18 PM

The catalyst/entity/whatever tells me I have two choices (apparently there's 3, but I wasn't made aware of it) destroy or control the reapers.  It shows two ramps forming on each side of the pathway.  There is no indication which side is what (control or destroy) and your still walking slower than a 90 year old, so it's pretty tedious from the start.  Not knowing what I want to do yet, I wanted to explore and find out what ramp does what.  So I choose the left ramp, slowing make my way up, and as I get near the console, I can see it's the control option, based off what the cutscene showed.  You couldn't tell from standing at the bottom of the ramp, so you have to go all the way up.  

I decided that I want to destroy the reapers so I tried to head back down the ramp and make my way up the right ramp.  Except once you get so close to the console, it won't let you go down the ramp, so now I'm forced to choose control.  I haven't saved in awhile, mainly because the game decided it that I shouldn't be able to save for me (greyed out) and I didn't want to reload my last save game because of the slow movement, so I just grinned and took it.

Bad level design there, it should have been more clear on which ramp goes to where.

There are 3 choices.  The 3rd choice, which was Synthesis, only appears if you have enough war assets (I think 4k min).

Actually, in the cut scene, you do see which color each option is and you can see the color of the lights from the bottom of the ramp.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 12:55:35 AM by namatoki » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: