http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 09:14:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HL2 - sound stutter problem officially recognized  (Read 5452 times)
Jeff
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 21, 2004, 07:58:51 PM »

Valve has officially recognized the stuttering problem in HL2 and is currently working to fix it.

Here's a page dedicated to the problem, with lots of info, and potential workarounds till it's fixed.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2004, 08:28:52 PM »

I was JUST about to ask what was causing my game to stutter! I finally got to play last night-and love it-but it was stuttering all the time but the FPS was good, so i had no clue what was up!

Good man Jeff, let me look at that page.
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2004, 09:23:56 PM »

I am very pleased to see them officially acknowledge this problem and jump on fixing it.

Score another point for Valve!!

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
tiny ogre
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2004, 03:10:40 AM »

Latest update to that page says they found the problem and a fix is coming (no ETA).   It's pretty bad on my machine even with stuff turned way down, I've been waiting for a fix before I play much farther.  It's a shame, it does run very smoothly in between this problem even on high settings, but this hits me frequently enough to be very annoying.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2004, 04:43:51 AM »

Quote from: "tiny ogre"
Latest update to that page says they found the problem and a fix is coming (no ETA).  

Thanks for the update, and glad to hear they've located the problem. I hope a fix will come soon. It gets annoying for me, too, but not enough to quit playing smile
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2004, 04:46:58 AM »

Wow.  I've already finished the damn game, bug and all.  I didn't care!

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
tiny ogre
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2004, 05:04:35 AM »

Actually I tried playing some more again now and it's running great, not seeing any stuttering.  At first I thought it was because I turned the textures down to low, but then I turned them back up to high and it's still running fine.  Shrug!

Having a blast too.
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2004, 05:31:37 AM »

I found this problem to be goddamn annoying, so much so that I decided to shelve the game until it is fixed.  I shouldnt be surprised, but I cant believe they missed this in QA.

olaf
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2004, 06:48:20 PM »

Great news:

Valve's Erik Johnson updated the stutter site with this information:

"We've found a fix for this problem, and we're planning on shipping it no later than tomorrow".

biggrin thumbsup

btw, the problem turned out to be a caching of textures during gameplay. I believe the fix will be to force textures to load during level load. Could mean longer load times, but less overall frustration.
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2004, 08:09:53 PM »

Well,  finished the game with stutter-if the patch tommorow cleans the stutter up then I'm just going to have to replay the entire game fom start to enjoy the new sound  biggrin

Oh, woe is me!  Tongue  I know what I'm doing with my Thanksgiving gaming time

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2004, 08:21:52 PM »

Quote from: "Gryndyl"
Well,  finished the game with stutter-if the patch tommorow cleans the stutter up then I'm just going to have to replay the entire game fom start to enjoy the new sound  biggrin

I have to finish this somehow before WoW comes out!! I love this game so mujch, but I have the guild in WoW and all that stuff..ARGHGHG NOT ENOUGH GAMING  TIME@@
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2004, 02:05:17 AM »

Quote from: "Rage"
Quote from: "Gryndyl"

I have to finish this somehow before WoW comes out!! I love this game so mujch, but I have the guild in WoW and all that stuff..ARGHGHG NOT ENOUGH GAMING  TIME@@

Ah, yes, I'll probably be playing WoW with my thanksgiving gaming time. will have to take HL2 breaks.

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2004, 02:07:17 AM »

I'm glad they're fixing it so quickly. Makes me want to run through the game a third time.

All this crap with WoW makes me glad I hate RPG's, and MMORPG's most of all.

Actually, I can't think of a game-style I appreciate less. I'd rather be playing virtual checkers or some crap like that.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
bluefugue
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2004, 02:34:23 AM »

Quote from: "tiny ogre"
Latest update to that page says they found the problem and a fix is coming (no ETA).   It's pretty bad on my machine even with stuff turned way down, I've been waiting for a fix before I play much farther.  It's a shame, it does run very smoothly in between this problem even on high settings, but this hits me frequently enough to be very annoying.

Same deal with me.  I played through anyway, but a second run-through will wait for a fix if it is coming anytime soon.

edit: Tomorrow!  Coolio.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2004, 05:52:31 AM »

With the fixes the stutter was much better but still noticable.  After the fix is in place I'll just crank up the difficulty and play through again, too.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2004, 01:42:18 PM »

Once they get it straightened out for HL2, I wonder how long before it finds its way over to VTM:Bloodlines?  Same problem there. :?

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
FlyingElvis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2004, 02:12:17 PM »

I just don't understand why they don't catch these issues in QA. Its not like HL2 was shoved out the door early.

I need smooth framerates or I get motion sickness from FPS. The stutter in this game means I have to play in short session or I get nauseous.

Now playing: Oblivion, X3: The Reunion
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2004, 02:19:46 PM »

Quote from: "FlyingElvis"
I just don't understand why they don't catch these issues in QA. Its not like HL2 was shoved out the door early.

I know, that is weird. In a poll on that page I linked to, more than half of the respondents had this problem to a significant degree. And it happens on every possible hardware configuration. How QA didn't notice it is beyond me.

Fix should come today, fingers crossed.
ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2004, 03:32:08 PM »

The people it doesn't happen to aren't looking for solutions on message boards - they're playing the game.  There's a pretty darn big sampling error here.  I have a minor case of the bug, and if that's all they had seen then it certainly looks like acceptable performance degradation on certain kinds of systems.

And there are so many possible configurations of hardware and software - you just can't expect to get all of them.  I knew three people who ran into a game-stopping problem when running Morrowind on a Windows 2000 server with a Nvidia card while the terminal services service was started.  I can't imagine that particular configuration is running in very many test labs.
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2004, 05:31:19 PM »

Sorry but there is zero excuse for not catching this before the game went retail.  Its happening to WAY too many people.

One of two things happened.  Their QA sucks ass.  Judging by the rest of the game, I dont think this is the case.  So that leaves: Their change control sucks ass.  Something must have changed late in the development cycle that wasnt documented and so was not tested properly.

olaf
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2004, 06:07:48 PM »

I've been able to play HL2 ok with the stutter. It mainly seemed to happen the first time I shot something at the start of a game but decreased as I played.

It mainly drives my batty in CS:S since during my first 5 minutes or so of play I die almost everytime time in combat since I stutter for a few seconds. I noticed that it goes away as I play too so I didnt stop playing completely. It just makes those first few minutes a pain. But once they fix it I cant blame stutter for my suckiness  Tongue

Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2004, 10:44:04 PM »

People who think developing software for the endless permutations of PC configurations is easy are being very short-sighted.  It's unfortunate and annoying that a problem like this made it through, but I'm not surprised one bit.  If we had a uniform hardware platform (i.e. a console or an Apple) then my tolerance goes down pretty much to 0.  Hardware conflicts are a part of life for PC owners, but I'm waiting to see how fast they move to fix it.  They said that it should be out by today.  So far I still have some stuttering.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2004, 11:10:57 PM »

Quote from: "Jancelot"
They said that it should be out by today.  So far I still have some stuttering.

Same here, still stuttering. No fix yet.
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2004, 12:34:31 AM »

The ETA for the fix didn't come from any kind of official announcement. Unofficially, they're still testing a few things on the fix before pushing it out. I'd rather have a working patch than a rushed patch and the fact that we're even already expecting it is a good sign in my book on how supported the game is.

Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2004, 02:02:24 AM »

I think the patch is in. I just started HL2, and it pulled down an update.

Off to test for stutter smile
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2004, 03:21:12 AM »

Quote from: "Jeff Jones"

edit: it appears to be fixed smile
warning

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2004, 03:21:21 AM »

Quote from: "Jeff Jones"

It is!   biggrin

The changes in this release are directed at reducing the problem some users are experiencing with sound stuttering. The sound stuttering is not indicative of a sound problem, sound stuttering is only a symptom of texture thrashing on your video card or AGP memory. For information on how to reduce texture thrashing visit this link on our support site:

http://steampowered.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=280

This update will fix sound stuttering that users were experiencing that would last for longer than a few seconds during normal gameplay. This update will also eliminate this same behavior following a quicksave or autosave. There will still be a short pause while the autosave happens, but not the more drawn out stuttering behavior.

We are still investigating another performance problem on some hardware, which will manifest where the game is getting into a state where performance drops to less than 5 fps and does not recover or crashes.

Hope that takes care of it.  Now what follows is very interesting...

Next week we will be releasing the Source SDK, along with a surprise for the community.

Day of Defeat?  The official Alyx Nude Patch?  Who knows?
none
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2004, 03:45:13 AM »

vanilla h-l 2 dm and map(s).  gotta be.

smile
bluefugue
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2004, 03:52:02 AM »

I'm still getting some minor stutter... doesn't seem to be much different than before, maybe a little better.  No really long drawn out episodes at least.  I need to make the manual adjustment they mentioned though, I guess the patch alone may not cut it.  Also I don't know if they got to the Nvidia fix yet?  Does this patch just apply to ATI cards or to all cards?
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2004, 04:41:45 AM »

Forget that! I want a little TFC:S lovin'! Or at least an update on TF2...

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2004, 04:54:17 AM »

They are gonna start selling Gordon Freeman brand crowbars. You can pick them up at ACE hardware for the standard price  Tongue

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2004, 07:30:38 AM »

Post update I still get in-game stutters every so often. Again, it's never really affected the gameplay, and always seems to happen while I'm just walking around.

Really really weird.

*Edit*
nevermind! Restarting Steam brought on yet another update of some kind, and the stuttering seems to be gone completely. It even seems to have stopped doing the initial stutter after all the loading times. It did still do it once or twice, but the majority of the loading points were stutter free as well.

Excellent.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2004, 02:28:11 PM »

Cool. My stutters are completely gone too.  thumbsup
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2004, 03:12:57 PM »

Mine are (mostly) gone as well.  :wink: Still an occasional minor snag but nothing like the major stuttering that was going on before.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
bluefugue
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2004, 03:35:52 PM »

I can't even tell at this point.  There's still some stuttering.  As bad as before?  Hard to say... I don't think so, but it still comes and goes.

What is the deal with AGP bandwith or whatever, what setting are you supposed to change in BIOS to eliminate "texture thrashing"?  Anyone know?

Otherwise -- whatever.  I'm not gonna agonize about this too much, already won the game anyway.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2004, 04:47:15 AM »

Quote from: "warning"
Next week we will be releasing the Source SDK, along with a surprise for the community.

Day of Defeat?  The official Alyx Nude Patch?  Who knows?

How about the original Half-Life in Source for free, since paying for that again is stupid? slywink

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2004, 04:59:29 AM »

I never had this problem until they released a fix for it.
LucidSmoke
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2004, 06:24:26 PM »

I never had the sound stutter either until just a few days ago.....I am back in the City and all of a sudden the sound is a problem.  Does Steam automatically load the patches without any input from the user?  If it does, then I am fairly confident that that is what is causing my sudden stuttering.  I was playing flawlessly up unit the time of the patch.  I will try the console command to disable the correction and see if it makes any difference.  It was driving me nuts trying to figure out why the sudden change.  I did a spyware check, virus check, tweaked my AGP Aperture settings in Bios, tweaked my graphic card settings, etc.  All to no avail.  I will let you know what happens with the console command.
LucidSmoke
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2004, 09:34:47 PM »

Yep, it was the patch that was causing the problems.  Typed in "mat_forcemanagedtextureintohardware 0".  Played to the end of the game with NO stuttering problems.  Hope this helps people.
bluefugue
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2004, 12:16:02 AM »

Typed in where?  Console?  Config file?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: