http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 08:01:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HD-DVD 360 Addon - $170 bucks  (Read 1171 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: September 20, 2006, 04:05:27 PM »

http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/20/xbox-360-adds-1080p-hd-dvd-drive-for-november-17th-in-japan/

With the announcement of the 1080p software update as well as a VERY cheap HD-DVD addon, who is in?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 04:09:49 PM »

It would be nice if they would give the U.S. price.  They may be pricing it lower there than here (just like the system itself) so that they can get more Japanese market.  It may very will still be $200 here.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
warning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 04:15:22 PM »

So just to play devil's advocate here if I want a next generation console with a hard drive that plays Hi-Def movies I could buy the 360 Premium for $400 and then add the HD-DVD addon for $170 bringing my total to $570.

Or I could buy a PS3 for $600.  And the difference is only $30?

Now keep in mind I don't have a HDTV and I appreciate the 360 giving the option of having hi-def for movies rather than requiring it if I want to play games like the PS3.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 04:20:44 PM »

Out until one format is the clear victor. 
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 04:23:59 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 20, 2006, 04:20:44 PM

Are you suggesting you are out "Until all are one"?  Sorry...was just watching some more of my Transformers box set.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 04:36:01 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on September 20, 2006, 04:23:59 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 20, 2006, 04:20:44 PM

Are you suggesting you are out "Until all are one"?  Sorry...was just watching some more of my Transformers box set.
Heh, yeah  icon_smile
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006, 04:38:49 PM »

I may be in, but I can't imagine the PQ is going to be as good as a dedicated HD-DVD player, so I might wait a while before I get it. Still, even if its good, the idea of leaving my 360 on for 2+ hours, with that semi-loud Intercooler fan going, isn't really conducive to optimal movie watching.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2006, 04:40:27 PM »

I want a winner in the format war first.  And I'll be more likely to buy a stand alone player that has HDMI (not that I care about that so much; it's just the only spot it'll fit on my TV with my current setup)

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2006, 05:10:49 PM »

Quote from: warning on September 20, 2006, 04:15:22 PM

I appreciate the 360 giving the option of having hi-def for movies rather than requiring it if I want to play games like the PS3.

This is the key.  If Sony gave me a $400 PS3 with a $200 Blue Ray addon, I would probably actually try to get a PS3 at launch.  They didn't and so I am not.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2006, 05:29:19 PM »

I want a format war winner and a multi-disc changer. Out either way.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2006, 05:41:10 PM »

Quote from: jblank on September 20, 2006, 04:38:49 PM

I may be in, but I can't imagine the PQ is going to be as good as a dedicated HD-DVD player, so I might wait a while before I get it. Still, even if its good, the idea of leaving my 360 on for 2+ hours, with that semi-loud Intercooler fan going, isn't really conducive to optimal movie watching.

I thought it essentially powered down to one processor during movie playback.  I have to admit, I haven't used it for said purpose quite yet.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2006, 06:24:50 PM »

I use it for movie watching all the time and don't notice the noise at all.  Perhaps I'm used to it, but I'm usually pretty picky about that kind of stuff.  That said I'm still leaning towards an independent player as well.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2006, 06:53:39 PM »

There seem to still be many questions out there about how exactly 1080p support will work given that the majority of TVs only support 1080p through HDMI.  Not really that big of an issue for me though as out of everyone I know in the entire world, only one person has an TV that can display 1080p.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2006, 07:15:57 PM »

Quote from: kathode on September 20, 2006, 06:53:39 PM

There seem to still be many questions out there about how exactly 1080p support will work given that the majority of TVs only support 1080p through HDMI.  Not really that big of an issue for me though as out of everyone I know in the entire world, only one person has an TV that can display 1080p.

Is that person me?  smile   I need to find my book and confirm that it'll work on component though...if not, bleh, HDMI -> DVI for my second connection.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2006, 07:43:25 PM »

I'm a little wary of the no HDMI, but it's a nice price if it can do a good job.  I'd rather get a dedicated player, but if the reviews are good, I may buy it.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2006, 07:54:19 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on September 20, 2006, 07:15:57 PM

Quote from: kathode on September 20, 2006, 06:53:39 PM

Is that person me?  smile   I need to find my book and confirm that it'll work on component though...if not, bleh, HDMI -> DVI for my second connection.

Pretty sure component cables can do a 1080p signal but not all HDTV's will accept said signal. Then there's that whole "constriant token" or whatever its called that movie studios could enable later on that would gimp the resolution for anybody not using a HDMI connection.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2006, 08:05:46 PM »

Quote from: Jumangi on September 20, 2006, 07:54:19 PM

Pretty sure component cables can do a 1080p signal but not all HDTV's will accept said signal. Then there's that whole "constriant token" or whatever its called that movie studios could enable later on that would gimp the resolution for anybody not using a HDMI connection.

Component and VGA can both do it, but not many TVs accept it.  I haven't looked too deeply into it but I read "something somewhere" that indicated the movie industry had a big problem with it.  I imagine it's because HDMI is supposedly secure, even though it's really not.

Nope, our art director has one.  I looked into getting one but didn't want to spend the extra change.  My 42 inch plasma is already almost too big for my tiny apartment.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2006, 11:22:47 PM »

So just to play devil's advocate here if I want a next generation console with a hard drive that plays Hi-Def movies I could buy the 360 Premium for $400 and then add the HD-DVD addon for $170 bringing my total to $570.

Don't forget that the $600 model also has 40gb more hard drive space and built-in wifi (which the adapter goes for another $100 on the 360)

I don't think many are arguing that the PS3 isn't giving you a lot for your buck, but that Sony has effectively put their latest console out of the reach of "Average" everyday people who work hard for their money to pay the bills and put food on the table.
I actually thought the 360's $399 price was a bit high, so naturally, $599 is just redicilous. You can buy a computer for that price, WITH a monitor!

There are some things nice about the PS3, their backwards compatiblity commitment (MS really fawked that one up) and being able to play online for free.
That's about it for me though.

Also on the 360 playing dvds, I think it shuts down 2 cores actually.. likewise I dont really hear anything when playing dvsd on my 360, though games are another story.

And to join with some others here I'm waiting until there's a clear winner in the war before deciding which way to go, there's no point of spending even $170-$200 on the 360 HD-DVD add-on if Blu-Ray turns out victorious and sends it to the wayside and vice-versa.
(Though I guess even if Blu-Ray did fail much like UMDs did - we'd still get our games on the format but they'd stop releasing movies.)

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2006, 08:15:46 PM »

Quote from: corruptrelic on September 20, 2006, 11:22:47 PM

likewise I dont really hear anything when playing dvsd on my 360, though games are another story.

I believe jblank was actually referring to his "Intercooler" addon cooling product.  And yes, that puppy is loud.  It does have a switch on it though to turn it off.   I don't know how much having the cooler on w/o having the fans running hampers the airflow through the 360 though.

- shaggy

<edit>changed OP to jblank to be specific</edit>

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2006, 04:25:58 AM »

I just saw this info over at HDBeat that says apparently 1080p for HD-DVDs will be available only to those using a VGA connection and the component users will be limited to 1080i because of the copyright limitations for that format. 

I don't have an HDTV or plan on buying the HD-DVD add-on until the market is resolved so it doesn't bother me.  I just wish Microsoft would do better product testing with the VGA output to non-widescreen monitors for all games. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2006, 05:16:03 AM »

Yeah, I'm out on both new movie formats until one is a clear winner.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2006, 11:04:41 AM »

apparently the new 360's (in stores now) have an altered heatsink setup ad intercoolers will actually cause overheating. I got this from my buddy who sells em. (EBGames)

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: