http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 05:03:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Growlanser Generations review  (Read 1580 times)
EddieA
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 22, 2004, 07:26:44 AM »

Gamespy has posted their review for Working Design's upcoming PS2 real-time tactical RPG collection (an RTTRPGC slywink) Growlanser Generations.  It's supposed to be out on the 29th, but there's been no mention of the game going gold, so I don't know if it'll make it by then or not.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2004, 07:32:58 AM »

*crosses fingers in hope that there aren't any more delays*
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2004, 03:53:09 PM »

I suppose it's a good sign that there's finally a review out, slim as it was.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2004, 04:04:25 PM »

EB Games has changed its ship date to 12/7 now. On the WDMB, someone said they called Working Designs and was told that it should ship to retailers  by the end of the week.
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2004, 06:11:13 PM »

Hehhehe.

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2004, 10:11:37 PM »

Victor Ireland of Working Designs confirmed next week in a post on the message board:

I have the finished regular pack on my desk here, but the deluxe is the holdup on the shipping. There was a problem with the manufacture of the CD soundtrack and that held up the fulfillment of the Deluxe pack. That's supposed to be completed and ready to ship Friday, which means it will be ready for retail shipments starting monday.

Even the regular pack is heavy. Two discs and a large manual. The deluxe pack is the heaviest package we've done. Impressive heft. smile
depward

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2004, 01:34:16 AM »

Looking forward to this one for quite some time with all the delays and such.  Thanks!  I never check Gamespy so I wouldn't have ever known   :?

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2004, 06:35:25 AM »

About bloody time! And speaking of bad timings... Ah, hell, bad timing started all the way from the end of September, and still hasn't ended.

I'm debating very hard whether to get this or not, though. It's also the week when KOTOR2 gets released. And Battle for Middle-earth I figure I'll wait for some reviews/impressions first.

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2004, 07:02:49 PM »

One of the things that really sold me on this game was reading a preview in an old OPM magazine about how the strategic battles played out. In one example, the main character is charged with a standard objective like 'Defeat All Enemies'. Halfway through the battle an NPC  shows up, forcing the player to protect the NPC while still completing the objective. If that wasn't enough, a little later the walls start to close in, forcing the player to try and complete the objectives and escape with the NPC before the walls crush the player.

It's that kind of variety in missions that get my attention. Too many console strat RPGs strike me as all about power leveling with very little tactics. I like stuff where the scenario that plays out is more interesting than 'Kill Everything', 'Survive 10 turns', or 'Defend Character'.

The game's been knocked by some importers, but I think a lot of that is simply that these games aren't as good as Growlanser's  I & IV. They are only bad by comparison and are pretty good when taken by themselves.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2004, 07:57:14 PM »

IGN has posted their review, giving it 8.6/10.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2004, 08:16:15 PM »

Your hero, Wein Cruz is on a quest to become an Imperial Knight, stop a mysterious force overtaking the land, and yadda yadda yadda.

Growlanser II's main character's name is Wein Cruz?
depward

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2004, 10:56:05 PM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
IGN has posted their review, giving it 8.6/10.

Read a lot of good stuff in that review.  Not much to really dissuade me from holding off for a couple of weeks.  I'll be looking for it most likely Wednesday   biggrin

depward

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2004, 10:37:30 PM »

Anyone pick this up?  Supposidly some stores have it today (Monday), but I called around and out in middle-of-nowhere Washington no one has it.  I want to hear some impressions!   biggrin

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2004, 10:41:12 PM »

Stopped by EB st lunch and they told me Wednesday.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2004, 09:21:20 AM »

I have it preordered, but I might hold off on playing it for awhile, as I'm still playing all the other RPGs released in the last few months.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: