http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 11:12:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: General "can't find 360" grumbling  (Read 3080 times)
farley2k
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 13, 2006, 05:39:47 PM »

I decided that I would prefer to play Oblivion on the 360 becuase I like sitting on the couch and the TV is big.  My PC will play the game but I would have to turn stuff down so I figured the time was right to buy one.

Except I can't find one.  Nowhere in my city or in Eastern Iowa as far as I can tell has any premium units.  I can get on a waiting list but I would be suprised if that was filled before the game came out, and they want to force a bundle down my throat.

Now I am no expert but I think that if an average customer cannot find your product 5 months after launch then your launch was a failure.  The sad thing is that it won't be a failure because no one is going to challenge MS for at least another year (I'll believe in a PS3 by Christmas when Santa knocks on my door with one in hand!)  So MS can be as big of screw-ups as they want.  No one will smash them.

Saddly enough I think that if Sony had simply said "the PS2 is still great, has a lot of life and we won't have a new system for 2 years" they would win.  I honestly think that more people would buy a PS2 over a 360 if they were not worried that the PS3 is just around the corner.  The PS2 still has some great, great games coming out, it has a huge install base.  Sony could have easily ignored the race to the next system.

Heck if Sony really wanted to smash the crap out of MS they would just need to release a Live like on-line service for the PS2!  

However that is not to be so MS will have the run of the field until at least next year.  Which means I may not even see a 360 until then!

For me Oblivion was/is the only game I want to play on the 360 and if I get it for the PC and start playing it I won't need a 360 for months and months.  This was their golden opportunity.  Between Oblivion and GRAW they could have sold a ton of sytems.  As it is they will sell the usual trickle but nothing like what they could have sold.  

I doubt I am alone if thinking that if I can't get a 360 soon I may as well wait until the next holiday season.  Oblivion will tide me over for a long, long time and if I start on the PC I won't get the 360 version.  

Anyway, just the normal grumbling which lots of others have posted.  It just drives me nuts that when I finally decide to buy one I can't.

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 05:45:21 PM »

i think it's generally an accepted fact that Microsoft blew the launch of the 360 pretty badly.  

that being said, they are starting to trickle into stores.  keep an eye out at your local best buys as they appear to be getting them more often than most other retailers.  and don't take no for an answer when having a check on their stock!  make the clerk look in the back for a 360 as they oftentimes don't put them out and won't go check for you.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 06:09:02 PM »

Yeah, Microsoft really, really fucked up the launch.

I'd suggest eBay (as prices were pretty close to retail last time I checked), but thanks to great titles like GR:AW and Oblivion due out, something tells me that demand has once again skyrocketed for a console.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 06:20:03 PM »

Dude... I'm in eastern Iowa!  biggrin  Cedar Rapids, in fact.

I ended up just picking up a Core unit and adding the hard drive separately.  That's all I wanted the Premium for anyway.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 06:53:20 PM »

Quote from: "farley2k"
Now I am no expert but I think that if an average customer cannot find your product 5 months after launch then your launch was a failure.

I think your math is a bit off.... if the deadline is 5 months after the launch they still have ~6 weeks to get it together. slywink All the rumors say by early April there will be a lot more out. I got mine off ebay before the prices went through the roof. Tongue

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006, 07:26:14 PM »

There's a great system out there called The 'PlayStation 2'.  I know I know. Weird. I just got one and would totally recommend it.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2006, 07:32:14 PM »

For what its worth, a lot of online retailers (Costco, Circuit City, etc.) have had 360s in stock quite a bit lately - you might have better luck getting one shipped to you than finding one at a local retail store...

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
FlyingElvis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2006, 09:07:07 PM »

Quote from: "ATB"
There's a great system out there called The 'PlayStation 2'.  I know I know. Weird. I just got one and would totally recommend it.

It plays Oblivion?  :roll:

Now playing: Oblivion, X3: The Reunion
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2006, 09:10:48 PM »

From Cheap Ass Gamer:

The Xbox 360 Premium system, without a bundle, is available at circuitcity.com:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Xbox-...oductDetail.do

399.99 and free shipping.

NEVERMIND. Sold OUt.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2006, 10:15:38 PM »

From Cheap Ass Gamer:

The Xbox 360 Premium system, without a bundle, is available at circuitcity.com:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Xbox-...oductDetail.do

399.99 and free shipping.

NEVERMIND. Sold OUt.

Thanks for the thought!

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2006, 10:43:38 PM »

We need to know who is in the market for one and the rest of us, when we find one, could buy it knowing there is someone who would take it.  I was in Sam's the other day and ther were a dozen at least sitting there.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2006, 10:50:52 PM »

I've only recently started looking for a 360, as all the games released so far for it held zero interest for me.  But I decided I'd rather play Oblivion on the 360 than upgrade my pc.  And for the past month, I haven't been able to find one anywhere.  Very frustrating.  Oh well, money is tight anyway so maybe this is for the better.

Console Games Best Player
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2006, 10:59:21 PM »

Except I can't find one.  Nowhere in my city or in Eastern Iowa as far as I can tell has any premium units.  I can get on a waiting list but I would be suprised if that was filled before the game came out, and they want to force a bundle down my throat.

Order one online dude. All easter Iowa doesn't have one? so get online. Circuitcity.com always has them every few days or use that Bestbuy finder.

Have you beaten 1,658 games?  I have.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2006, 11:13:33 PM »

Quote from: "mikeg"
We need to know who is in the market for one and the rest of us, when we find one, could buy it knowing there is someone who would take it.  I was in Sam's the other day and ther were a dozen at least sitting there.

Great idea but I would recommend people only buy one at a place they could return it.  If someone were kind enough to do that for me I would be very greatful but what if two people were so kind?  I wouldn't want two, but I would feel obligated to pay the person back.

Having said hat if your Sam's has any more and you are willing I will gladly buy one from you.  I will pay shipping, insurance, etc.   However PM me before you run to the store so I will stop shopping around. smile

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2006, 11:23:45 PM »

Tell you what, the next time I see one I will just pick it up, bring it home, put it on the thread at cost and if no response that day, return it the next.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
bluntman72
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2006, 11:25:06 PM »

I tried going back to XBOX and PS2 to play games after playing my 360 and I cant do it, I just have adjusted to the new gen graphics and it is hard to go back to the older gen graphics.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2006, 11:36:47 PM »

I actually find that I cannot play most regular xbox games anymore, but strangly, I love the ps2 more and more each day.  Wierd, very wierd.  But the new 360 graphics are definitely spoiling me more and more.  Soon the BEST xbox game will be like pong to me.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2006, 11:53:06 PM »

Supposedly GameStop/EB is doing "absolutely, positively guaranteed" reservations for the beginning of April.  From what I've heard they are getting very little response (for obvious reasons) so they may have them around then.  It's too late for Oblivion day one, but if you are still looking then. . .

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2006, 01:37:59 AM »

Quote from: "mikeg"
Tell you what, the next time I see one I will just pick it up, bring it home, put it on the thread at cost and if no response that day, return it the next.

I will be looking for your thread! smile

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2006, 03:12:59 AM »

I found two premium systems at Superstore today (grocery chain in Canada).

Picked one up for thin_j ... waiting for him to get back to me.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2006, 07:32:13 AM »

Quote from: "Purge"
I found two premium systems at Superstore today (grocery chain in Canada).

Picked one up for thin_j ... waiting for him to get back to me.

Yeah, got your email, responded, etc.

For everyone else: Purge is the man.

I've been looking here for three weeks now with no luck, and I looked a few times before that and couldn't find one.

I saw 360's twice when I wasn't interested in owning one, but now that I want one they've been no-shows at every store in a fifty mile radius of my house.

So yeah, again. Purge rules.

Thanks again man. Not sure what I might be able to do to repay ya, but I certainly will if I can.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2006, 02:44:24 PM »

it IS entirely possible for me to pick up a second one Farley, but you gotta get ahold of me today.

email me at [email protected]

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2006, 02:53:40 PM »

Wow, that is really nice of you Purge!   biggrin

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2006, 03:05:31 PM »

Quote from: "Hetz"

Very, very nice.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2006, 03:07:08 PM »

You will have an email in a few moments.

drifter

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2006, 03:46:53 PM »

I stopped in a mall gamestore and they had boxes out so I asked "hey you actually have XBOX 360's?".  Nope the guy siad they still havent filled 15 of the pre-orders from NOVEMBER last year.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2006, 06:19:27 PM »

Quote from: "Farscry_Redux"
Dude... I'm in eastern Iowa!  biggrin  Cedar Rapids, in fact.

I ended up just picking up a Core unit and adding the hard drive separately.  That's all I wanted the Premium for anyway.

Cool!  Have you checked out http://www.carnagge.com/ ?  It is the Cedar Rapids Gaming network.  They have LAN parties about once a month.  Fun stuff.  Great group of people.

fyedaddy

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2006, 06:44:19 PM »

Cool!  Have you checked out http://www.carnagge.com/ ?  It is the Cedar Rapids Gaming network.  They have LAN parties about once a month.  Fun stuff.  Great group of people.

I've tried to go a couple of times but the dood atmosphere there was a bit much for me. Maybe I was just there on off nights.

I was just in Video Games Etc here in Northeast Cedar Rapids over the past weekend and they looked to have a couple of 360 units in stock inside the display case by the register. Are you close enough to CR to stop by? They have a second CR store on the SW side of town as well as their store in Coralville. If you lived closer to Coralville they'd have one shipp to you from another store. For that matter, they have stores in Waterloo, IA or in Illinois that they'd do the same thing. Have you tried Video Games Etc for one?

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
Rowdy

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2006, 07:04:31 PM »

Anyone have any tips on how to locate a premium 360 in Canada, specifically in Edmonton? Are there any of those handy stock checker websites available for Canadian retailers? I've been harassing my local Best Buys and Walmarts on the phone for 2 weeks and none of them ever have any in stock or seem to get any in stock.

Ideas? Can't believe I can't find one after 4 months in release...
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2006, 07:27:18 PM »

I think alot of these supply issues are localized.  In the Pittsburgh area I have seen quite a lot of the systems at various retailers.
madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2006, 07:51:20 PM »

*grumble grumble*

Add me to the 'cant find one to save his life' camp.

Arizona, I curse you!
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2006, 07:55:04 PM »

Quote from: "fyedaddy"

I've tried to go a couple of times but the dood atmosphere there was a bit much for me. Maybe I was just there on off nights.

I was just in Video Games Etc here in Northeast Cedar Rapids over the past weekend and they looked to have a couple of 360 units in stock inside the display case by the register. Are you close enough to CR to stop by? They have a second CR store on the SW side of town as well as their store in Coralville. If you lived closer to Coralville they'd have one shipp to you from another store. For that matter, they have stores in Waterloo, IA or in Illinois that they'd do the same thing. Have you tried Video Games Etc for one?

I only go to Carnnage's Saturday events.  It is fun to bring the PC and play with other actual people - I know that there are real people when I play on-line but somehow actually being in the same room makes it more real.  And since it is a local LAN game the lag is usually a lot less.

I have stopped by Video Game's Etc. many times.  I was even ready to bite the bullet and get on a waiting list however they wouldn't put me on the list if I didn't buy a bundle.  

That is another thing which really pisses me off about the whole situation - stores are using the shortage to force gamers into buying stuff they don't want.  I find that very annoying.  I just want the system!  However since they are so hard to find retailers know they can sell crappy bundles and make more money.  I guess I shouldn't be too annoyed since the store is there to make money and it isn't like the 360 isn't a luxury item but it still does.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2006, 10:58:29 PM »

Rowdy, hit http://www.superstore.ca/ .

My other Superstore still has 9 premiums in stock.

I picked one up for Farley2k today.

I also picked up a second one; it may be up for grabs (waiting on 2 friends who mentioned interest to say yay or nay).

If anyone is interested in the second premium, email me.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2006, 11:24:23 PM »

Rowdy, hit http://www.superstore.ca/ .

My other Superstore still has 9 premiums in stock.

I picked one up for Farley2k today.

I also picked up a second one; it may be up for grabs (waiting on 2 friends who mentioned interest to say yay or nay).

If anyone is interested in the second premium, email me.

Thank you so much!!!  I have emailed you and we will hammer out the details.

Thanks again.

Now I just have to tell my wife smile

Mystic95Z

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2006, 06:16:53 PM »

Been looking for a premium myself, called BestBuy yesterday and nada. Was out at lunch today and decided to stop by and OMG boxes on the shelf... I rush up to them FUCK stoopid core systems  :evil: All I've been able to find is the damn core system unless its online in a bundle with crap I dont want....
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2006, 06:18:42 PM »

If it weren't for purge I'd still be looking for one. I called around again last night out of pure curiosity.

Nobody's had any since the last day I looked for one last week.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2006, 06:01:51 PM »

Posted today at Cheapassgamer:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11091580&whse=&topnav=&browse=&s=1
Mystic95Z

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2006, 06:37:53 PM »

Just got back from Gamestop myself with one. Ended up picking up a core system + accessories since no premium were to be found anywhere locally.
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2006, 07:05:40 PM »

I have one enroute to me right now.  circuitcity.com had a core bundle that I was able to remove all the extra crap from, except the extra controller.  I also ordered the proper cables since the core didn't come with what connection I needed.  I then ordered a hard drive through amazon, which actually comes from gamestop.  The circuit city stuff shipped within hours, the hard drive from gamestop is scheduled to ship tomorrow.  I just got sick of waiting to find a premium 360 not in a craptastic bundle.

Mystic95Z

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2006, 07:08:36 PM »

Quote from: "Interloper"
I just got sick of waiting to find a premium 360 not in a craptastic bundle.

/QFT
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: