http://gamingtrend.com
July 30, 2014, 11:07:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gamefly - Yea or Nay?  (Read 3434 times)
godhugh
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2010, 02:50:06 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on March 25, 2010, 02:40:05 PM

Quote from: Pharaoh on March 25, 2010, 01:57:57 PM

I tried it, and it was a disaster.

First game I got was Sonic All Star Racing for Xbox. Disc shows up literally cracked in two. Return.

5+ days later, I get my followup game, Final Fantasy XIII for Xbox. Except the didn't include disk 2 or 3. Nice.

8+ days later, (which btw, God of War shipped on a Monday, and didn't get here until Friday, and I am in AZ, it was shipped from LA), God of War 3 arrives. I play it over the weekend, ship it back Monday.

Yesterday, I get a notification they have received it, and of the 2+ games I can have out at the time, all 11 on my GameQ are "Low" availability, and nothing is being sent to me.

I am not paying for this. Cancel. Ripoff.

That sucks, but I don't understand the discrepancy in experiences.  I've gotten every single new release I put on the list at or just about at launch.  What 11 games did you have that are all low?

Yeah, I don't really get how some people have such a different experience. The last 3 games I've gotten from them have been Heavy Rain, MLB10: The Show, Final Fantasy XIII, all on release day.
Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2010, 06:21:50 PM »

When I canceled this morning, the following were all Low or Very Low, I had 2 empty slots in my games available, and no indication anything was coming down the pipeline:

Just Cause 2 - Xbox
Infinite Space - DS
Final Fantasy XIII - PS3
Bad Company 2 - Xbox
Red Steel 2 - Wii
Resonsance of Fate - Xbox
Metro 2033 - Xbox
Tropico 3 - Xbox
Deadly Premonition - Xbox
Yakuza 3 - PS3
Heavy Rain - PS3

Ya I know they are newer titles, but if I wanted to get older games I'd go buy a used copy for cheaper.

Gamefly - You need to give your user some indication where they are in the line to get things, you need get shipping under control to a state across to your shipping center, and your quality control standards need to improve.
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2010, 07:21:33 PM »

The thing is, for the price of one used title, you can get and play three of them.  You can have fast enough turn-around to play those used titles and send them back.

I love Gamefly, and even with some extended turn-around times, it has saved me a lot of money.

I gotta take off right now, but when I come back I'll post my queue.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2010, 07:42:27 PM »

Quote from: MaxSteele on March 25, 2010, 07:21:33 PM

The thing is, for the price of one used title, you can get and play three of them.  You can have fast enough turn-around to play those used titles and send them back.

I love Gamefly, and even with some extended turn-around times, it has saved me a lot of money.

Seems like Pharoh's problem is that he wasn't getting any of the games on his queue, and was given no indication of how long he could expect to wait to get one.  Basically, he was paying them for the privilege of waiting to get one of those games at some point. 

I've heard various methods of gaming the system to get new releases on day 1, but it's always seemed like unless you game the system, you'll wind up in Pharaoh's situation of not getting those games for a long time.  This has been the main reason that I've never given Gamefly a chance.

Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2010, 08:07:11 PM »

Seems like Pharoh's problem is that he wasn't getting any of the games on his queue, and was given no indication of how long he could expect to wait to get one.  Basically, he was paying them for the privilege of waiting to get one of those games at some point. 

I've heard various methods of gaming the system to get new releases on day 1, but it's always seemed like unless you game the system, you'll wind up in Pharaoh's situation of not getting those games for a long time.  This has been the main reason that I've never given Gamefly a chance.

That's it exactly. I don't mind waiting for games, I just want to know what I'm waiting for and what I'm in line to receive. Having a blanket bucket of games is pointless if everything is designated as "Fat Chance in Hell Priority of getting it". I'm paying for the chance of getting in line...and that's silly.

Plus the fact their shipping methods are admittedly poor (the cancel account screen starts with "We know we have shipping issues...") and there's no guarantee what they ship you will actually work.
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2010, 09:15:27 PM »

Nay! I never got ANY new release games the 2 months I had it. I "played" the system like people have stated on here, nothing. I live in Tampa, so they SHOULD receive the game the day after I sent it.  And it was like that for 2 weeks. After that it, took 3-4 days to receive a game.

Live Gamer Tag: Kitten0Death
PSN: CabriX
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2010, 09:20:57 PM »

We just need to convince Netflix to buy them out or compete with them and all of our problems will be solved.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2010, 09:49:33 PM »

Yup. If Gamefly and Netflix had a baby, I'd never buy a game again!
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2010, 10:59:32 PM »

Well I can certainly see where you'd be pissed from.  My experience has been completely different.  Just Cause 2 came out this week, it shipped on Tuesday and I have it in my xbox today, 2 days later.  I live in Northern CA, so maybe we just get mail faster.  I've had the same experience with multiple new releases now, Dantes Inferno, AVP, Heavy Rain, Dark Void, and now this.  I'll keep my fingers crossed that it keeps up.
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2010, 12:11:30 AM »

Quote from: Pharaoh on March 25, 2010, 01:57:57 PM

I tried it, and it was a disaster.

First game I got was Sonic All Star Racing for Xbox. Disc shows up literally cracked in two. Return.

5+ days later, I get my followup game, Final Fantasy XIII for Xbox. Except the didn't include disk 2 or 3. Nice.

8+ days later, (which btw, God of War shipped on a Monday, and didn't get here until Friday, and I am in AZ, it was shipped from LA), God of War 3 arrives. I play it over the weekend, ship it back Monday.

Yesterday, I get a notification they have received it, and of the 2+ games I can have out at the time, all 11 on my GameQ are "Low" availability, and nothing is being sent to me.

I am not paying for this. Cancel. Ripoff.

Wow I live in AZ too and have never had that many problems that you had with them. I just recived Just Cause 2 today they shipped it Tuesday I used the keep it feature and saved $20
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 12:17:59 AM by pingwrx » Logged

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2010, 05:49:22 PM »

It does seem like experiences vary wildly. I got Final Fantasy XVIII the week it came out.  I have gotten Batman: Arkham Asylum, Bioshock2, and a couple other new releases in the last year as well.  Basically I love 'em.  But it is quite clear they have issues of consistency.

MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2010, 05:52:06 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on March 25, 2010, 07:42:27 PM

But they told him none of the games on his queue were available.  It's not Gamefly's fault if people grabbed those titles up when they were out and now they're holding onto them.

Pharoh chose to put nothing but new titles in his queue, and that's what happens.

Here is my queue:

Battlefield: Bad Company 2  Low  

Aliens vs. Predator  Medium  

Saboteur  Medium  

Gears of War  Available Now

Prototype  Available Now

Overlord II  Available Now

Skate 2  Available Now

Half-Life 2: The Orange Box  Available Now

Dead Rising  Available Now

Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise  High  

Sacred 2: Fallen Angel  Available Now

Rune Factory: Frontier  Available Now

The Conduit  Available Now

EA Sports: Grand Slam Tennis  Available Now

Blood Bowl  Medium

Notice the new titles are medium / low, and older titles are available now.  I returned Halo: ODST on Tuesday, and just received notification I'm getting Brutal Legend.  Definitely not an "old" game by any means, but I didn't get it when it came out and I want to play it.  Yay for me. smile

Of course, an issue like getting FF XIII with only disc one is a problem.  Getting a cracked disc is also a problem.  But every game Pharoh posted he had in his queue came out in the last several weeks.  It's fine if Pharoh doesn't want to play those older titles.  Gamefly is not a service for exclusively getting new titles so a person doesn't have to pay $60 for it.  It is possible to get those new titles the day they come out, but that isn't the sole purpose of the service.  

Complaints about getting damaged or missing discs are absolutely justified and I'd have issues with that as well, but I don't think it's fair to be negative over a service because it's not living up to the expectations you thought it should have, but had never purported to be.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2010, 05:52:58 PM »

I never add anything to the queue or send anything back with any expectations that I'm going to have any clue as to what gets sent.  If I really wanted to get a new release out of the gate, I'd either hit my local Blockbuster or just buy it outright.  

godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2010, 06:41:12 PM »

godhugh's guide to getting new releases from Gamefly:

1) Keep nothing but upcoming releases in your queue.
2) Send one of your games back approximately 1 week before the next new release you want comes out.
3) When the game is received by Gamefly you should have an open slot with 2-3 days to spare.
4) 90+% of the time your new release will ship the Monday before it is released.

The absolute key to this is step #1. If you want an older release then send one of your games back and add a couple old ones you want to play to the bottom of the list. When one of them ships, take all old releases out of your queue so that is simply upcoming games again.

If you miss getting a new release the day it comes out, you simply won't get it shipped to you 2-8 weeks, depending on the game. You have to remember that games cost a lot more then DVD's and Gamefly simply can't stock the sheer quantities that Netflix can. The entire initial batch of Gamefly's stock is shipped out the day before a game is released. Those who have the new game in their queue at that point won't receive it until those of us who got it first start sending it back. For a game like God of War 3, this will probably be 2 weeks (1 week to finish the game, 1 week for laziness and shipping time). For a game like Final Fantasy XIII this will probably be between 1-2 months.

If you're not concerned with getting new releases the day they come out, then don't worry about this and just load your queue up with a mix of older games and upcoming games. But don't expect to get the exact game you want every time and don't be surprised or pissed when it's a month or two before you get a newer game.
Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2010, 08:59:10 PM »

Quote from: MaxSteele on March 26, 2010, 05:52:06 PM

Quote from: Chaz on March 25, 2010, 07:42:27 PM

But they told him none of the games on his queue were available.  It's not Gamefly's fault if people grabbed those titles up when they were out and now they're holding onto them.

Pharoh chose to put nothing but new titles in his queue, and that's what happens.

Here is my queue:

Battlefield: Bad Company 2  Low  

Aliens vs. Predator  Medium  

Saboteur  Medium  

Gears of War  Available Now

Prototype  Available Now

Overlord II  Available Now

Skate 2  Available Now

Half-Life 2: The Orange Box  Available Now

Dead Rising  Available Now

Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise  High  

Sacred 2: Fallen Angel  Available Now

Rune Factory: Frontier  Available Now

The Conduit  Available Now

EA Sports: Grand Slam Tennis  Available Now

Blood Bowl  Medium

Notice the new titles are medium / low, and older titles are available now.  I returned Halo: ODST on Tuesday, and just received notification I'm getting Brutal Legend.  Definitely not an "old" game by any means, but I didn't get it when it came out and I want to play it.  Yay for me. smile

Of course, an issue like getting FF XIII with only disc one is a problem.  Getting a cracked disc is also a problem.  But every game Pharoh posted he had in his queue came out in the last several weeks.  It's fine if Pharoh doesn't want to play those older titles.  Gamefly is not a service for exclusively getting new titles so a person doesn't have to pay $60 for it.  It is possible to get those new titles the day they come out, but that isn't the sole purpose of the service.  

Complaints about getting damaged or missing discs are absolutely justified and I'd have issues with that as well, but I don't think it's fair to be negative over a service because it's not living up to the expectations you thought it should have, but had never purported to be.

This logic is flawed. This assumes that I haven't played, or want to play older games just because it allows me to get continued service. What happens when I've played every game, and the only thing I want are the newer titles again? I'm right back to the main issue.

The fundamental point is this. Gamefly is not for all gamers. It is built and designed for the weekend warrior casual players who have no interest in what they play or when, but rather that they have something when their schedule allows. This allows them to amass a large backlog of titles they are interested in. Avid gamers on the other hand, are forced to play a blind lottery, or actually try to cheat the system (as Godhugh and others have posted), to manipulate the limited inventory to get what they pay for.

Gamefly's blanket pricing model is what screws them. They want everyone to pay 20 bucks, and promise the same service for each user, but really they are putting both casual and avid gamers into the same bucket, where the casual gamers are clearly favored in getting what they want, since the system's flaws don't affect them.

They should have the 20 bucks for casual system, and 40 bucks a month for avid gamers. If you have an open slot in your que, you are guaranteed one of the new releases that week, your choice. Since you don't care about games that came out 7 months ago, you pay extra for titles at launch, but in return, aren't forced to manipulate a rental service and scam the system. The casuals probably wont get the same game at launch, but since they have such a large que of titles they want, they don't care.

The quality control standards are a problem for every business. Not sure anyone can do anything about that minus updating their screening process when titles are returned and shipped back out.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2010, 09:53:00 PM »

You might want to check and see if Gamefly has any Gboxes in your area.  Chances are they won't, since it's apparently a pilot program right now, but it might be worth checking out.  Since they don't seem to be terribly well known, they're apparently well-stocked with new releases.  I was able to walk up and get a copy of Bad Company 2 the first weekend it was out.  It costs $2 a night, so not great for extended rentals, but for short games that you can bust through in a weekend, it might work better.

Really, it would probably be better for people like Pharaoh and myself if Gamefly would offer an a la carte option.  I'd be okay with paying like $7 a week to rent a game.  I'm less okay with paying to wait for a game.  Even with Godhugh's method, you're still paying for a week where you don't have a game, which is lame.  I'd be more willing to wait on a rental if I wasn't paying for it.  Plus, by charging by the week, people would be more likely to send back games faster, decreasing wait times for everyone.

godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2010, 10:02:10 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on March 26, 2010, 09:53:00 PM

You might want to check and see if Gamefly has any Gboxes in your area.  Chances are they won't, since it's apparently a pilot program right now, but it might be worth checking out.  Since they don't seem to be terribly well known, they're apparently well-stocked with new releases.  I was able to walk up and get a copy of Bad Company 2 the first weekend it was out.  It costs $2 a night, so not great for extended rentals, but for short games that you can bust through in a weekend, it might work better.

Really, it would probably be better for people like Pharaoh and myself if Gamefly would offer an a la carte option.  I'd be okay with paying like $7 a week to rent a game.  I'm less okay with paying to wait for a game.  Even with Godhugh's method, you're still paying for a week where you don't have a game, which is lame.  I'd be more willing to wait on a rental if I wasn't paying for it.  Plus, by charging by the week, people would be more likely to send back games faster, decreasing wait times for everyone.

Yes, you are, but I can also get 2-3 new releases a month for $24. It's saved me hundreds and hundreds of dollars. Also, if I want to buy any of the new releases I can just choose the "Keep It" option and get it for $45.

BTW, I wouldn't call what I do "scamming the system", it really is just about keeping only the games I really want to play (new releases) in my queue and making sure I have an open spot for them on release day.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 10:03:41 PM by godhugh » Logged
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2010, 11:21:37 PM »

I'm like you godhugh I only put the game or games I want to play in my queue I have'nt missed a new release I've wanted to play in 3 years since joining. The key really is making sure you have an open slot when a new release comes out you want to play.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 11:25:23 PM by pingwrx » Logged

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2010, 12:00:32 AM »

From my point of experience it is worth it. I have the 2 game out plan and pay like $21 a month. I can play 4-6 games a month for any system but, best of all for example, I got Resonance of Fate the day after release and was able to keep it for $44.99 do you think that was a used copy? Most older games I can get for $13.00 play them and trade them into Gamestop for like $15-$20 with the edge card. The key is to put new games in you Que weeks before or months before release. then have you game returned to GF by the Monday of the release week of the game. Some how GF have there games in on Monday and capable of mailing them out on Monday evening. If your near a GF Hub you can good well get your game by Mail time on release day hold it for a few days and you will be given the option to keep it for $15 + tax less than anyone else. By the next day there is another game shipped out granted it is available and your not trying to get all new games in you Que.
There will be some weeks when there is absolutely nothing in your Que available just put a classic up there.

FYI: GF mails out only the Disk in a cardboard sleeve which means the cases and instructions are never mailed. So when you make a game purchase It is a brand new never used case, book, and any other packaged goodies in there. 

FYI: Get game and then op to Keep if you plan on purchasing no need to as GF put it "buy New" your paying $15 for shrink wrap.

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ()  ()  ()
PS3 Spinks
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2010, 03:07:48 AM »

Quote from: Pharaoh

This logic is flawed. This assumes that I haven't played, or want to play older games just because it allows me to get continued service. What happens when I've played every game, and the only thing I want are the newer titles again? I'm right back to the main issue.

The fundamental point is this. Gamefly is not for all gamers. It is built and designed for the weekend warrior casual players who have no interest in what they play or when, but rather that they have something when their schedule allows. This allows them to amass a large backlog of titles they are interested in. Avid gamers on the other hand, are forced to play a blind lottery, or actually try to cheat the system (as Godhugh and others have posted), to manipulate the limited inventory to get what they pay for.

Gamefly's blanket pricing model is what screws them. They want everyone to pay 20 bucks, and promise the same service for each user, but really they are putting both casual and avid gamers into the same bucket, where the casual gamers are clearly favored in getting what they want, since the system's flaws don't affect them.

They should have the 20 bucks for casual system, and 40 bucks a month for avid gamers. If you have an open slot in your que, you are guaranteed one of the new releases that week, your choice. Since you don't care about games that came out 7 months ago, you pay extra for titles at launch, but in return, aren't forced to manipulate a rental service and scam the system. The casuals probably wont get the same game at launch, but since they have such a large que of titles they want, they don't care.

The quality control standards are a problem for every business. Not sure anyone can do anything about that minus updating their screening process when titles are returned and shipped back out.

No flawed logic here....  I stated you chose to put new titles on your queue only, and there is no guarantee you'll get them.  I also said it's fine if you don't want to play older titles (or in your case, you said you have already played those older titles).  The point remains that Gamefly is not a service for people who only want to get new releases.  Shipping issues aside, it's a great service for what it is.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 03:10:05 AM by MaxSteele » Logged
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2010, 03:27:17 AM »

The point remains that Gamefly is not a service for people who only want to get new releases.

And yet their entire front page and all their ads feature mostly new release games.  They certainly bill themselves as a source of new releases.

MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2010, 01:56:38 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on March 27, 2010, 03:27:17 AM

The point remains that Gamefly is not a service for people who only want to get new releases.

And yet their entire front page and all their ads feature mostly new release games.  They certainly bill themselves as a source of new releases.

They absolutely are a source for new releases.  They just don't promise you'll get them the day they're actually released.  smile
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2010, 04:47:57 AM »

I've had GF for 2+ years and don't intend to quit anytime soon.   I've saved hundreds of dollars over the 2 years.   I'm a casual gamer these days and have the 1 game out deal.   When there's a new game coming out i really want, i just empty my Que and place that game in the open slot.   I always get that new release on about Thursday.  Plus i get the 10% off and usually have atleast 1 to 2 $5 off coupons when i want to purchase something.   

In my 2+ years, i have never had the wrong game sent, damaged disk, or anything besides a game taking an extra day than i anticipated.   I'm a 100% happy customer.

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2010, 01:50:55 PM »

Does where you live make a difference here? Wondering how much, if any, that affects the issues people are (or are not) seeing or delivery speeds, etc. icon_neutral

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2010, 03:01:45 PM »

It certainly seems to vary based on where you live. I'm in Jersey and if I mailed something on Monday I'd probably get a return disk by Saturday. With Netflix I would get something new by Wednesday...
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 21, 2011, 09:25:53 PM »

in Gamefly related news, they won their dispute with the USPS.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 21, 2011, 09:31:52 PM »

I wasn't aware there was a dispute.  But that should help their business model become more viable and help them out. 

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 21, 2011, 09:50:33 PM »

unfortunately it won't help them ship games faster frown
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 21, 2011, 09:59:50 PM »

My games ship super fast!  And clearing the queue before new releases (which is no problem since I really only rent new releases) works like a charm.  Got both SOCOM 4 and Mortal Kombat this week.  Shipped Monday and arrived Wed.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 21, 2011, 10:49:45 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on April 21, 2011, 09:59:50 PM

My games ship super fast!  And clearing the queue before new releases (which is no problem since I really only rent new releases) works like a charm.  Got both SOCOM 4 and Mortal Kombat this week.  Shipped Monday and arrived Wed.

I mail mine on Monday, will get it next monday.

Netflix, I mail mine on Monday, I get the next one on Wednesday
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 21, 2011, 10:52:18 PM »

Quote from: naednek on April 21, 2011, 10:49:45 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on April 21, 2011, 09:59:50 PM

I mail mine on Monday, will get it next monday.

Netflix, I mail mine on Monday, I get the next one on Wednesday
  I think Netflix has far more distribution centers though, which is nice because I get that same amount of turnaround.  heck, I google mapped the address that's on my return envelopes and it's less than 5 miles away.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
corey_gb
Welcome to Gaming Trend

That's what she said.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: April 26, 2011, 11:13:54 PM »

I had signed up for GameFly back in December when they were doing a 1 month free promotion. I had tried them a few years ago and really wanted to give them another shot. Unfortunately not much changed in my opinion of the service. I live in Orlando, FL and the turnaround time to the hub in Tampa was extremely inconsistent. Also, I found it nearly impossible to get new games, or even games that were out for a few weeks. Initially I thought the service would be good to play catch-up on games that I had missed in the prior months...nope, even those had low stock. So, at least for me, GameFly wasn't a good fit, too slow turn around, not enough new games to fulfill demand and old titles were low stock due to them selling the off.

Corey | GameBlurb | www.gameblurb.net
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 27, 2011, 03:07:41 PM »

I think that Gamefly is great if you are not interested in getting the newest games.  I you want to play Shadow Hearts: Covenant, or something else several years old but can't find it used they are great.  If you absolutely want to play something that came out this week then you are usually out of luck.  Still it is a great way to play games you don't really want to buy that are older. 

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2011, 08:10:43 PM »

So this is my queue.  I returned Heavy Rain on Tuesday, and today they shipped out my next game.  Which means I'll probably get it on Tuesday.  So a week turnaround time...

What makes no sense is there were two games that had medium status that were ahead of the game they sent me, as well as a Low and Very low. They dug down to the #7 slot which was Available now....  Why not give me the game that I want that is closer up on the list.  Sure I want to play Dead rising 2, but not in any hurry.  I had other games that were farther up the list that were available, unless medium doesn't mean squat.  Why have so many categories, just say instock or not.

Between the long wait times and not giving you the games in the order you want is one of the things I hate about the service.  It's still cheaper to use, but at least be logical and efficient about it.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 04, 2011, 03:16:42 PM »

Quote from: naednek on April 29, 2011, 08:10:43 PM

Between the long wait times and not giving you the games in the order you want is one of the things I hate about the service.  It's still cheaper to use, but at least be logical and efficient about it.

I think their default logic is that you want all the games equally and they ship based on what they have right now.  With that logic their system makes sense or at least more sense. 

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 04, 2011, 03:43:44 PM »

It's still possible to game the system to get new releases (empty your Q except for unreleased games, have the games you want in your Q for months).  However, for MP releases, with the increasing amount of games that feature online codes, I'm strongly considering going to buy/return to Amazon route for those games - Mortal Kombat having an online pass (except for a week trial) is my sign for that.

As for the other games, if you have a game in your Q that is "Available Now", that is pretty much what you're going to get, regardless of where the game is in your Q.  High/medium/low = probabilities of getting the game, anyway (75%/50%/25%).

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 04, 2011, 08:58:59 PM »

The two times I emailed their customer service they told me similar things to what they told you, and I modified my use of their service (and my expectations) accordingly.  It's been smooth sailing ever since.

That said, nothing in their "canned responses" is inaccurate for how Gamefly operates (they really do take into account how long you've been waiting for a game and how long a game has been in your Q as to whether or not you'll get something, especially something new), and your "Non canned response please" email certainly didn't help matters.

And yes, it's entirely possible that all 22 of your games are unavailable to be shipped to you on any particular day.  I've seen it on my Q before.  Patience is a virtue in that case.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 04, 2011, 09:12:17 PM »

I use Gamefly with the expectation that I won't know what I'm getting until they send me the text alert.  I may move stuff to the top of the list, but nothing on the list is stuff that I was dying to play, as I buy those anyway.  And I certainly don't want to actively manage the system, despite that option being open and available to others. 

Determine if you want to pay the price for the value that you get from it.  Everyone has different requirements. Unfortunately, there isn't much in the way of alternatives to the service to force them to change their methods.

JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 06, 2011, 03:08:21 PM »

I've been for a long time now and it's has only gotten better and faster No comPlains from me. I've also saved lots of money on games I may have bought and hated.

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ()  ()  ()
PS3 Spinks
latinobreed212
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 06, 2011, 03:22:14 PM »

There's other alternatives, cheaper ones. I know paying for Gamefly is about 22.95/ month for only two games. I signed up for Blockbuster's games by mail service and it's just as good, if not a better alternative. For one, availability is good; thousands of games; price for two games or movies is 13.99, for three games or movies it's 16.99. And I usually get them in 1-2 days time.

Only negative for games is that new releases take a couple of months for blockbuster to stock, but I usually get  older releases like black ops, bioshock 2 and gt5 fairly easily. Hopefully this changes in the future as the service just launched a couple of months back. But it's been smooth.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: