http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 09:35:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Duels of the Planeswalkers  (Read 1410 times)
Cragmyre
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 24, 2009, 03:11:50 PM »

I apologize if I missed any news about this, but I happened to find myself at the Magic the Gathering homepage and discovered that they are coming out with a game for the 360.  It is called Duels of the Planeswalkers - just like the old microprose game.  You can play in single player campaigns, two player co-op campaigns ( two headed giant ), and against others.  I guess you get cards by playing the campaigns, not sure on the details.  This http://www.wizards.com/magic/digital/article.aspx?x=mtg/digital/duels/whatis is the only information I've seen so far, but haven't searched any deeper yet.

I suffer from EGADD - Electronic Gaming Attention Deficit Disorder
Mithridates

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 05:30:21 PM »

Quote from: Cragmyre on January 24, 2009, 03:11:50 PM

I apologize if I missed any news about this, but I happened to find myself at the Magic the Gathering homepage and discovered that they are coming out with a game for the 360.  It is called Duels of the Planeswalkers - just like the old microprose game.  You can play in single player campaigns, two player co-op campaigns ( two headed giant ), and against others.  I guess you get cards by playing the campaigns, not sure on the details.  This http://www.wizards.com/magic/digital/article.aspx?x=mtg/digital/duels/whatis is the only information I've seen so far, but haven't searched any deeper yet.

Are we talking a LIVE Arcade game, or a full game?  Because if this is a 800 points kind of thing, I'd definitely try it.  Always been somewhat interested in Magic, but never got into it.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 05:43:48 PM »

The demo video on the page looks nice.  I'd play that, even if I did have to 'buy' boosters.  I've been looking forward to this one.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 07:16:16 PM »

SO IN it hurts.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 08:23:28 PM »

Quote from: Mithridates on January 24, 2009, 05:30:21 PM

Are we talking a LIVE Arcade game, or a full game?  Because if this is a 800 points kind of thing, I'd definitely try it.  Always been somewhat interested in Magic, but never got into it.

It says Arcade on the page.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 03:00:20 PM »

I haven't played MTG in years, but I would totally pick this up on arcade as a cheap way to play some again.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 03:24:04 PM »

Instant purchase for me.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 07:48:33 PM »

Man I wish I could get the old Microprose PC game to work...

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Cragmyre

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 10:54:40 PM »

Being new here, it is great to know that I'll have ( hopefully ) people to play with when this comes out  icon_cool

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 12:25:09 AM »

I thought they said that the XBLA MTG game wasn't going to be the card game, but some other type of game set in the MTG universe.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 12:34:16 AM »

Eddie, this is the first time I've heard that.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Malificent
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 12:42:12 AM »

Does anyone know whether this game will have deck building involved or whether it will be a set number of predesigned decks you get to choose from? I'm guessing the latter, which makes the purchase less exciting but still probably a buy for me.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2009, 12:48:59 AM »

Quote from: Malificent on January 26, 2009, 12:42:12 AM

Does anyone know whether this game will have deck building involved or whether it will be a set number of predesigned decks you get to choose from? I'm guessing the latter, which makes the purchase less exciting but still probably a buy for me.

That would really, really, REALLY suck, as making your own deck is the entire point of a CCG.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2009, 12:53:31 AM »

magic the gathering...

<*twitch*>

* CeeKay runs away screaming

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Mithridates

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2009, 01:45:17 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on January 24, 2009, 08:23:28 PM

Quote from: Mithridates on January 24, 2009, 05:30:21 PM

It says Arcade on the page.

Sweet.  I'm in.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2009, 01:55:53 AM »

I can probably count the number of times I've played MTG on 2 hands, but I'll be at least downloading the trial with the likelihood of purchasing it. Besides, anyone who can figure out how to survive as a video game developer on the Isle of Wight more or less earns my support. slywink
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2009, 02:02:45 AM »

The deck-building question is my main holdout right now. IGN's hands on preview didn't seem sure how that was going to be working...
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2009, 02:10:27 AM »

if deck building and card collecting are in, than so am I!

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2009, 03:53:28 AM »

Quote from: Dreamshadow on January 26, 2009, 12:34:16 AM

Eddie, this is the first time I've heard that.

The original press release made it sound like it wouldn't be the card game, but I guess they realized that was a dumb idea slywink

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Cragmyre

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2009, 06:03:23 AM »

According to one of the videos on the page I linked, it was said that you collect cards by beating the different planeswalkers within the campaign.  Though perhaps you collect decks?  I hope it is the former.  It probably won't be like the Microprose version, but one can hope it gets close smile

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: