http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 10:32:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dragon Quest VIII ship date change . . .  (Read 6354 times)
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2005, 10:04:00 PM »

Quote from: "semiconscious"
Quote from: "Calvin"
I can MAYBE afford one. That means Magna Carta gets left out methinks frown

before buying, you really oughta play the ps magazine dq demo - i was very up for dq, & the demo really helped me make my mind up (cancelled my pre-order, in favor of magna carta - no ffxii demo, load times, girlie-man & all)...

Good sir, I played the original demo disc of DQ8, and besides thinking they dropped the ball with an overly simple combat system throwback, I loved it. Clever voice acting, fantastic characters, colorful graphics, classic dragon quest goodness (although for the love of god, can we please update the save system). No my friend, DQ's stock might have gone down a tad, but not much. its still very high on my list. And it has the FF12 demo.

Don't think I dont want Magna Carta..its just one or the other frown
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2005, 11:37:34 PM »

Ok guys, the problem now remains:
There is a possibility I will get a 360 on the 22nd (much more likely I will sell it if I get it, cash in hand is important now).
Dragon Quest 8 and FFXII demo on the 15th
Magna Carta on the 15th.

Honestly I'd buy Magna Carta over DQ8 -- only because DQ8 will be easy to find forever, while Magna Carta probably won't.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2005, 05:44:45 PM »

Good sir, I played the original demo disc of DQ8, and besides thinking they dropped the ball with an overly simple combat system throwback, I loved it. Clever voice acting, fantastic characters, colorful graphics, classic dragon quest goodness

i hear where you're coming from - i felt the same way about the knocking radiata stories got from people saying it was just too 'childish' (& had an 'overly simple combat system' to boot)... but here i am, coming from their side on dq (go figure). maybe being a series fan would help (never played one), & i'm very unclear on how someone who had such a great time running around kicking everything (& everyone) could almost immediately get bored smashing barrels, but this gaming stuff is tricky & mysterious business smile ...

i really was looking forward to dq, & wanted to like it - &, if it weren't for the damn demo, i'd've had a copy this week. oh well,...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2005, 09:38:02 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
Ok guys, the problem now remains:
There is a possibility I will get a 360 on the 22nd (much more likely I will sell it if I get it, cash in hand is important now).
Dragon Quest 8 and FFXII demo on the 15th
Magna Carta on the 15th.

Honestly I'd buy Magna Carta over DQ8 -- only because DQ8 will be easy to find forever, while Magna Carta probably won't.

Im probably going to trade enough stuff in to get both-I am guessing Atlus will screw everyone over and not produce enough MC, so I imagine I can recoup almost all of my money if and when I decide to sell it.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2005, 02:45:35 AM »

Gamespot has posted their review - 9/10  Cool

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2005, 02:54:53 AM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
Gamespot has posted their review - 9/10  Cool

You sexy bitch smile Good find, off to read now!!

Are you IN eddie?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2005, 04:27:52 AM »

For Dragon Quest fans, fear not...all your old favorite monsters are here, from skeletons, bat-winged drakies, and shambling mummies, right down to the humble, smiling slimes (and their tough metal counterparts).

biggrin

Ah, the Slimes. The stupid smiling slimes. 'Tis an RPG creature that I'll remember forever, thanks to how much I played the old Dragon Warrior games on the NES.

Wednesday can't come fast enough. Unfortunately finding the time to play this (especially with the Xbox 360 right around the corner) is gonna be tough.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2005, 04:43:27 AM »

I'm more IN than I've ever been smile

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2005, 06:56:29 AM »

More reviews -
9.5/10 from 1Up
9.2/10 from GameZone
Is it Wednesday yet?

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2005, 07:16:33 AM »

More reviews -
9.5/10 from 1Up
9.2/10 from GameZone
Is it Wednesday yet?

Woots!!
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2005, 03:15:41 PM »

Wow, impressive reviews.  I'm taking Thursday off from job hunting, sending the wife and kids to the in-laws', buying some frozen pizza and playing Dragon Quest VIII all day.  It'll definitely be the best day in the last few months.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2005, 05:48:31 PM »

More reviews -
9.5/10 from 1Up

We game writer types are supposed to finish everything we review, but when it comes to 50-hour RPGs, you could forgive us if it doesn't always happen. And in the case of a game where the final clock reads a hair under 90 hours, well, all bets are off. Here's the thing, though: the reason I know Dragon Quest VIII is 90 hours long is because that was my time when I finished it. It's that good.

Aw, crap. Now to find 90 hours of gameplay between Wednesday and Tuesday morning...

But it's also been a game that I've waited a VERY long time to play. Finally, a Dragon Warrior (er, Quest) game for those who remembered the series more than a decade ago.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2005, 06:35:50 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
But it's also been a game that I've waited a VERY long time to play. Finally, a Dragon Warrior (er, Quest) game for those who remembered the series more than a decade ago.

Absolutely!  The more I read about this game, the more I can't wait to get it!  smile

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2005, 06:37:27 PM »

The reviews have thankfully made my hesitancy after the average demo completely go away, so I cannot wait. I hope its in stores today!!
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2005, 07:17:50 PM »

The reviews have thankfully made my hesitancy after the average demo completely go away, so I cannot wait. I hope its in stores today!!

As loath as I am to admit it, I'm in the same boat.  I have yet to like an Enix-developed game (and yes, that includes Valkyrie Profile), and the demo did nothing for me.  Yet, these reviews are actually making me interested.  The FFXII demo may put it over the top and I might actually buying DQ8 instead of Magna Carta, as the reviews on the latter are making me wary of spending $50.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2005, 07:21:47 PM »

I hope its in stores today!!

I don't think there is any chance of that since it ships today. The local EB here is still saying next week.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2005, 08:17:23 PM »

It looks like Square Enix either shipped it yesterday or used some sort of super-fast shipping, as a lot of stores are getting it in today.  Hopefully, mine will have it when I go to pick up Magna Carta.

Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2005, 09:16:38 PM »

Thank you Gamestop.com for your free overnight delivery. I received it today. 'course, I have no time to try it out, since I need to go to work soon.

One thing I DID find rather amusing about the packaging... The first time you open the DVD case, you'd think it was FFXII you had just purchased. It's almost as if you bought the demo, and the game's a nice bonus. My statement will make sense once you see how they packaged/arranged the DVDs/Manuals. smile

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2005, 09:25:21 PM »

It looks like Square Enix either shipped it yesterday or used some sort of super-fast shipping, as a lot of stores are getting it in today.  Hopefully, mine will have it when I go to pick up Magna Carta.

GOod news, im going to call my buddy at the store today and find out. We tend to get things about a day after release unless its major major, but I have hopes smile
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2005, 10:24:42 PM »

My store won't have it in until tomorrow, but at least I have Magna Carta to play slywink

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2005, 03:29:49 AM »

Tomorrow for sure. No MC for me, my store got two copies. I will try another one tomrrow, but that means no discount. Very lame.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: