http://gamingtrend.com
December 22, 2014, 11:48:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 72   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Diablo III --Impressions start on page 36 --  (Read 105881 times)
Roman
Gaming Trend Senior Member

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #2160 on: August 20, 2012, 06:22:02 PM »

yay! Penalize me more for already beating the game 3 times. Maybe I should just start fresh?

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #2161 on: August 20, 2012, 08:47:59 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on August 20, 2012, 05:11:04 PM

IncGamers:  As you created Diablo, how do you feel about it? Do you feel a little let down that the legacy has kind of been mashed up?

David Brevik:
I have very mixed emotions about it (laughs). On one hand I am sad that people haven’t enjoyed Diablo [III] because it’s a love, a passion, and its obvious people still have a giant love and passion for Diablo and they are speaking out about it because they have such love for it. That makes me feel great.

I am sad because people are outraged and, you know, some of the decision they have made are not the decisions I would make and there have been changes in philosophy and that hasn’t gone over very well. I think in that way I am a little sad.

I am also a little happy, which I hate to say, it shows that the people that were involved in Diablo really did matter, and so I am happy that it has come to light that how talented that group was and how unique and special that group was. I am hoping that, as this happens very often in the industry, you see it with Call of Duty and things like that ,  when the people leave the game changes and it shows how critical people are in this industry.
Apparently the Blizz D3 dev team is all knotted in a bunch about his comments (gaming news sites are digging up Facebook comments about Brevik's interview for example), feeling he's "thrown them under the bus." I just see it as candid comments, refreshing to read. Hopefully Brevik isn't counting on any work references from Blizzard.  icon_smile

Brevik's comments are pretty much exactly the same things I and many others had been commenting on for months and months prior to release, particularly after they announced their ultimate change in philosophy/system.  Shouldn't have been much of a surprise; their own comments (particularly some from Bashiok) essentially spit on some of the core philosophical design elements of Diablo 2 (that of people actually wanting to invest in their choices/character builds), and they actually are saying they were "thrown under the bus"?  That's a joke if you ask me.

In case you are wondering what I was referring to, here's a quote from Bashiok defending their revised skill system:

But our argument is that it's not actually a better or more enjoyable game, and the psychology of that customization process isn't actually based on any real needs for the game to be fun or enjoyable. For some games it absolutely might be, because they have a game style, pacing, or other mechanics that work really well with that kind of system. It is not true for Diablo, and it is not true for World of Warcraft, which is going to a hot swappable format in Mists. We all subscribed to the idea that in an RPG you build a character, there's an investment in those choices, and that makes the game fun. We do not believe that to be true for these two games any longer, it may make total sense for another game, but for ours it does not.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #2162 on: August 21, 2012, 03:18:55 PM »

Looks like the 1.04 patch is out today 8/21.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #2163 on: August 21, 2012, 04:06:47 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on August 21, 2012, 03:18:55 PM

Looks like the 1.04 patch is out today 8/21.

guess I'll give it a go today.  stopped at 55 wouldn't mind some help for anyone that wants to join

edit - well i just played my lvl 57 WD and I dropped Beliai on Inferno and my Gargantuan actually survived the fight losing minimum health.  Took on several rare and elite packs and smoked them all with out losing my pets.  Honestly, it feels a bit to easy
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 07:27:19 PM by Soulchilde » Logged

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #2164 on: August 22, 2012, 07:18:11 AM »

1.04 also includes an improvement I've been hoping they'd make.  Health potions, crafting pages, and jewels no longer show up as white; they're now light blue.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2165 on: August 22, 2012, 02:56:53 PM »

Full list of changes:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/7029347/7029347

The ability to drag-and-drop skills in Elective Mode will now only be enabled while the Skill window is open

FINALLY!!! I hated attacking from North to south, because invariably I'd accidentally grab a tile and lose that ability mid-fight.

There is a TON of changes, most of which beef up, rather than nerf, the five classes.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #2166 on: August 22, 2012, 04:19:26 PM »

Spent some good time on this last night. My WD is hugely buffed - the pet changes are massive and make the class a lot more fun, at least for the high-30s level range I was kind of mired in. The Monk changes are much subtler and I didn't really notice any outright differences, except that I was able to get through Act I of Inferno when before I was stuck in the Halls of Agony, where elite packs were wiping me every time - but I also got a good gear upgrade from a drop, so who knows if that's what pushed me over the top - probably a combination. 2H weapons are viable for Monks now, which is cool.

I ended up getting to Paragon level 1 with the Monk - it's got a nice little 'ding' animation, and I have to admit it was nice to have something other than gear to keep me playing, even if that bar does move veeeeery slowly. NV stacks contribute an experience bonus, which was another good reason to just run an entire Act - we'll have to see how I do on the 2nd act of Inferno now, whether I hit the wall or not.

Didn't really notice any rubberbanding, and the better animations for Molting and Frozen help out a lot - I might actually consider playing a hardcore character when I get bored with softcore now that I can see the things that will blow me up better.

Nonnahob

View Profile
« Reply #2167 on: August 22, 2012, 06:38:17 PM »

Drop rates seem to be way up. Really hoping to find something I can use for a change!
Found an amulet I hope will go around 40m or so for a dps monk. Got through 1.75 paragon levels... So far so good. Though they nerfed wicked wind I don't seem to be dying much using that build still. Act 2 was a relative breeze.

X360 - Nonnahob

A few nights ago I played a while with Hardon and we had a good time. - PhillyPeteRock
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #2168 on: August 23, 2012, 08:03:59 AM »

Quote from: Nonnahob on August 22, 2012, 06:38:17 PM

Drop rates seem to be way up. Really hoping to find something I can use for a change!
Found an amulet I hope will go around 40m or so for a dps monk. Got through 1.75 paragon levels... So far so good. Though they nerfed wicked wind I don't seem to be dying much using that build still. Act 2 was a relative breeze.

white mobs chance to drop rares was increased 4x.

My witch dr is finally fun again and the paragon stuff is genius. I hope that hint of something more than pvp is a random infinite dungeon with a leaderboard. you die you start all over! farther you go, the more insane affixes you face.

also, i really, really hope pvp was massively changed. cause it won't hold people's attention for long.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2169 on: August 23, 2012, 12:20:59 PM »

So, Blizzard's Jay Wilson officially apologized for telling David Brevik to "f*** himself." He meant to say, "PLEASE f*** yourself."  icon_lol No, seriously he apologized for his reaction on Facebook and acknowledged a lot of things they still hope to improve/straighten out in D3, fwiw...

http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/comments/jay-apologizes
His post is crazy long, imho it does have a lot of info worth reading concerning D3, and also clarifying that several former Blizzard North folks did remain with Blizz and work on D3 (fwiw):
Quote from: Blizzard's Jay Wilson
As many of you probably know, I recently made a comment on Facebook about Dave Brevik. I want to make it clear that I am very sorry for what I said. I have higher expectations for myself than to express my feelings in such a rash way and disrespect a fellow developer like Dave, someone who deserves to be treated with greater respect.

What I said was expressed out of anger, and in defense of my team and the game. People can say what they want about me, but I don’t take lightly when they disparage the commitment and passion of the Diablo III team. Dave is awesome. In Diablo and Diablo II, he made two of the games that have most affected me as a developer. I respect his vision for Diablo, but just like he said in his interview, the Diablo III team must drive a vision for the game that is true to us. We believe in Diablo and have stuck by it through years of hard development to make it a reality.

The foundation of the Diablo team was built from the remnants of Blizzard North: Our lead programmer, who built the basis of the Diablo III engine while at Blizzard North; our lead tech artist, who drove much of the combat visuals, FX, and skill direction of our classes and is one of the most avid Diablo II players you can find; our lead concept artist, who helped establish the core look of the game; Wyatt Cheng, our senior technical game designer, who writes many of our blogs and works tirelessly on the live game. All these people and many others made the commitment to Diablo even after Blizzard North shut down. It was hard for me to see their contributions be diminished by someone they worked alongside, and even harder for me not to try to jump to their defense. I only wish I’d done so in a more professional manner.

Joining the Diablo team was a dream come true for me. In my house, the name Diablo was always spoken in hushed tones. It meant late nights that turned into early mornings, moments of pure adrenaline and pure joy. It meant countless conversations, debates, scouring websites for good builds, and more than one or two sick days.  When Diablo II was released, I took a week off work and sent my wife out of state… and she was pregnant at the time! I played Diablo II with my dad during one of the most difficult times of his life, and the experience brought me closer to him, and I hope helped him through it. I joined the Diablo team because the idea of a world without more Diablo seemed like a pretty crappy world to me. I wasn’t sure if I’d be good enough. I’m still not sure. But I felt I had to try.

Regardless of how I’ve done, my team has been more than good enough, and I’m proud of the game we made together. We believe it’s a great game. But Diablo III has flaws. It is not perfect. Sales mean nothing if the game doesn’t live on in all of our hearts, and standing by our games is what Blizzard does. Patch 1.0.4 is a step in the right direction, but we have no illusions that our work is done.

Playing Diablo III needs to be a rewarding experience. The new legendaries are a big step in the right direction, as are tweaks to item drop rates. But I’m not convinced that we’ve gone far enough. If you don’t have that great feeling of a good drop being right around the corner — and the burst of excitement when it finally arrives — then we haven’t done our jobs right. Out of our concern to make sure that Diablo III would have longevity, we were overly cautious about how we handled item drops and affixes. If 1.0.4 hasn’t fixed that, you can be sure we’ll continue to address it.

Part of the problem, however, is not just item drops, but the variety of things to do within the game. Many of you have stated that there needs to be more to the game than just the item hunt, and we agree completely. The Paragon system is a step in the right direction, giving meta-progress for your time in the game, but it does little to address the variety of activities you can do while playing. I don’t think there’s a silver-bullet solution to this problem, but I do think we can make this aspect of the game better, and as such we’re planning more than just PvP for the next major patch. Not trying to be coy, but we’re still firming things up and will talk about this as soon as we can.

Difficulty has been a constant source of division when discussing the game. Some players believe Diablo has never been about crushing challenges, but more about efficiency and farming. Some players want a game that tests them to their limits. Neither player is wrong. As it stands, Diablo III simply does not provide the tools to allow players to scale the game challenge to something appropriate for them. We set Inferno as the high watermark and took a one-size-fits-all approach to game challenge. Later in the development of Diablo II, the ‘players 8′ command — which let people set monster difficulty — was added to address this issue, and we’re considering something similar for the next major Diablo III patch to allow players to make up their own minds about how hard or how easy is right for them.

The Auction House has also proven to be a big challenge. It adds a lot of power for players to trade and acquire items. Getting a great Monk drop that you can trade for better gear for your Wizard is obviously a great benefit, but it does come with a downside. The Auction House can short circuit the natural pace of item drops, making the game feel less rewarding for some players. This is a problem we recognize. At this point we’re not sure of the exact way to fix it, but we’re discussing it constantly, and we believe it’s a problem we can overcome.

While these are some of the major issues with Diablo III, they aren’t the only things we’re looking at. On a daily basis we ask ourselves if the classes are satisfying to play, if rares and champions are fun to fight, if they’re tuned well relative to normal monsters. Can we make further improvements to social elements of the game? How can items be even better?

We made Diablo III because we believe in the Diablo games. We think the gameplay is awesome, the world is compelling, and it’s the game we all wanted to play. Because we believe in it, we’ll continue to stand by it and make it better. We are committed to making Diablo III the best Diablo game to date, and we hope you’ll continue to help us do just that.

Saying that, I’d like to apologize to all of you, the players in our community. You deserve better than my reaction to Dave’s comments. You deserve more honest communication about the game and what we’re doing to make it a more awesome experience for us all. We care about Diablo very much, and appreciate your passion for it. Without you, we wouldn’t be able to do this, and for that I can’t thank you enough.
The difficulty scaling being wildly inconsistent was one of my main pet peeves, so it sounds promising they're trying to at least give some more options on that. The candidness is good imho, but a bit late. I'm not sure a few more months in beta would've let them figure this out. Maybe a a lot of the concerns just weren't apparent until they had millions of players playing.

And of course many think D3's "innovations" simply broke what worked in D2 and no amount of patching will "fix" it. I'm not sure how I feel. I hope that the changes plan might eventually got me re-interested. We'll see.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 12:24:10 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #2170 on: August 23, 2012, 01:15:06 PM »

I don't think Blizzard is shy about doing big changes, even well after a product has gone live. I wouldn't be shocked if we're seeing some major systems changes in a patch about a year out from release, and more when they release an expansion.

I'm not sure that some of these items couldn't have been predicted (is it really a shock that providing an efficient auction market resulted in drops being de-emphasized?), but given that they're willing to make changes and support this thing well out from release, I bet they solve at least a solid majority of them.

I know a lot of players would be screaming over it, but I wouldn't be shocked to see a Bind on Equip system make its way into 1.1 - that would resolve a lot of the AH issues.

Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #2171 on: August 27, 2012, 06:53:21 PM »

post patch gameplay is improving. The last 2-3 days saw on average 2 random yellows per day. Of course they ended up being crap for my character but they are worth gold.

Champion and Elite continue to drop multiple yellows.

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #2172 on: August 29, 2012, 02:48:11 AM »

Agreed. Patch definatly improved alot of issues I notices with the game.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #2173 on: October 18, 2012, 09:23:46 AM »

Wow. This thread was that far down? I haven't played in a while, but im gonna check out this new patch over my last beer of the evening. I still believe this game received ALOT of shit flung at its face for no good reasons, but who am I? icon_lol

EDIT: Enjoyed the new changes ALOT. The addiction is back on, just in time for my wife to watch Vampire diaries and me to have something to play on the mac icon_wink.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 10:33:00 AM by Harpua3 » Logged
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #2174 on: October 18, 2012, 10:57:58 AM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on October 18, 2012, 09:23:46 AM

Wow. This thread was that far down? I haven't played in a while, but im gonna check out this new patch over my last beer of the evening. I still believe this game received ALOT of shit flung at its face for no good reasons, but who am I? icon_lol

The changes they made weren't what a lot of people wanted, and I think this led to the game being unfairly criticized.  IMO, the design is absolutely brilliant and Blizzard deserves a ton of credit for sticking to their guns and making the game they wanted to make, especially given their usual extreme aversion to taking risks.  I've played pretty much every hack and slash RPG to come along, and Diablo 3 is by far the best I've played.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #2175 on: October 18, 2012, 02:01:19 PM »

It's a great game, but I've found Torchlight II to be more 'fun'.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: October 18, 2012, 03:20:51 PM »

My primary complaint was that the loot sucked.  It was always well below my level, and never really that great.  I had to buy from the AH if I wanted same level, good loot.  That was very frustrating.  If they fixed the loot, I would be happy.  I liked the gameplay.  But getting good loot is an important carrot for me, and when that's not there, especially after 1 playthrough, I'm done. 

I don't think that's unfair criticism.  I was sincerely surprised and disapointed that a company as talented and experienced as Blizzard couldn't implement loot drops right.  Or maybe that's what they intended, driving players to the AH?  Either way, I was disapointed.  Good gameplay, bad loot system.  It's especially perplexing because Borderlands 2 and Torchlight 2 handle loot much better.  I'm constantly getting cool stuff in both games.       

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: October 18, 2012, 04:00:04 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on October 18, 2012, 03:20:51 PM

It's especially perplexing because Borderlands 2 and Torchlight 2 handle loot much better.  I'm constantly getting cool stuff in both games.       

In torchlight, it's almost too much of a good thing. They need to adjust the slider just a little bit to the left.
Covenant

View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: October 18, 2012, 06:21:23 PM »

Diablo 3 makes it basically impossible to play and progress (at least past normal) without using the auction house.  As I'm a player who enjoys "living off the land" in these types of games (no trading, no twinking), it forces me down a road I really don't want to go down. That coupled with the fact that if I do manage to find an upgrade, it's generally boring as hell.  More int/def/vit/whatever; nothing flavorful.

On the plus side (as stated above), Torchlight 2 and Borderlands 2 really nail this and scratch that itch much better for me.  It's too bad really, as I think pretty much everything else about D3 is fantastic.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: October 18, 2012, 07:08:27 PM »

Waiting for the Mac port of tl2 still, so I can't  directly compare them. That being said I do find alot of crap drops in bl2 as well, not as much, but still it happens a lot to me. Also, after 1.05, with my brief experience with it, seems like there are WAY better drops now than before . I was seeing yellows all over the place last night!
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: October 18, 2012, 07:09:51 PM »

Quote from: Covenant on October 18, 2012, 06:21:23 PM

It's too bad really, as I think pretty much everything else about D3 is fantastic.
That's I how I feel too.  A fun action rpg with a poorly implemented loot system.  The occassional patch/update/login issues I experienced didn't help either.  
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: October 18, 2012, 07:51:11 PM »

Quote from: Harpua3 on October 18, 2012, 07:08:27 PM

Waiting for the Mac port of tl2 still, so I can't  directly compare them. That being said I do find alot of crap drops in bl2 as well, not as much, but still it happens a lot to me. Also, after 1.05, with my brief experience with it, seems like there are WAY better drops now than before . I was seeing yellows all over the place last night!

Yeah, I took the 1.05 patch for a spin today to finish up Nightmare and move on to Hell and I have gotten tons of yellows dropped and even got my first legendary.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Nonnahob

View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: October 18, 2012, 10:00:53 PM »

Loot killed it for me, I just don't see myself going back. I probably had 100+ hours into it.

X360 - Nonnahob

A few nights ago I played a while with Hardon and we had a good time. - PhillyPeteRock
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: October 19, 2012, 02:42:56 AM »

In our group game this week we got a lot more yellows and I got a huge weapon upgrade.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: October 19, 2012, 02:46:16 AM »

I found the opposite to be true - I think D3's loot system is great, while Torchlight 2's is its weakest aspect.  There's simply too much loot in TL2.  I have to open my inventory every ten minutes to transfer stuff to my pet in TL2, whereas I could go an hour or more in D3 before needing to return to town.  Even after 60 hours, it's still exciting to get a yellow drop and identify it.  In TL2, it's like "Oh, goody, here's the fifth set item I've found in the last hour."  When quality loots pops out of everything you touch, it loses its meaning.

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: October 19, 2012, 03:14:19 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on October 18, 2012, 07:51:11 PM

Quote from: Harpua3 on October 18, 2012, 07:08:27 PM

Yeah, I took the 1.05 patch for a spin today to finish up Nightmare and move on to Hell and I have gotten tons of yellows dropped and even got my first legendary.

I'd fire up any of my chars and play if u wanna sometime soon.
Kossak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2186 on: October 21, 2012, 08:11:50 AM »

You might be interested: Diablo III: The Order is $3.99 on Amazon now ($6.89 in Europe).
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 08:13:58 AM by Kossak » Logged

Add me: Raptr: Kossak, Steam: Kossak
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: October 21, 2012, 09:00:36 AM »

Quote from: Kossak on October 21, 2012, 08:11:50 AM

You might be interested: Diablo III: The Order is $3.99 on Amazon now ($6.89 in Europe).

If you have a Nook, Barnes & Noble has the book for the same price.

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: October 21, 2012, 11:04:05 PM »

I beat this game on Inferno with my Barbarian.  So much fun.

Fumble should be beating it with his wizard soon.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
TheEgoWhip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: October 28, 2012, 04:04:05 PM »

I have started trying to farm the Keywardens for the key pieces.  The endgame is alot different than the 1-59 grind.  Monster Power adjustment makes a big difference too, both for loot and balance gameplay. As with all multiplayer game, it is more fun with the right mix of people.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #2190 on: October 29, 2012, 03:14:29 AM »

I've been playing again with the new patch and while it is a lot of fun, the issue with the limited skill system and loot still persists.  What do I mean?  Because of the way skill damage is tied to your weapon damage (as opposed to stats or skill points that you invest), your success is pretty much tied simply to having the highest DPS weapon you can find, regardless of your class or "build" or skill choices.  And that pretty much means.... Auction House!

Without the AH, my mid 40s mage had weapons with DPS in the 110-150 range (even with gems).  Sure I got more yellow drops and made small incremental improvements in either stats or dmg, but as I got further along I noticed my ability to kill was steadily getting worse.  So I went to the AH, put my buyout limit at 50K, and lo and behold, everything that showed up was in the 500+ dps range.  WTF?  I haven't seen anything remotely close in hundreds of drops at my level, yet there they all were.  I was being choosy at first but then I remembered the golden rule: DPS trumps all, so I grabbed the highest DPS thing there, an axe with 730 or something crazy like that.  As soon as I equipped it, everything around me just melted like butter, it was pretty ridiculous.  My overall damage number went from something like 2000 to 8000 (I don't remember exactly).

In other words, AH still is the dominant factor.  In my last week of play I've leveled from around 40 to 52 and in that time I think I've had one usable drop, so not much has changed for me yet.  It's not just that the items I get are mediocre, but the disparity between them and what's on the AH is so far it's ridiculous.
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: October 29, 2012, 07:00:02 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on October 29, 2012, 03:14:29 AM

I've been playing again with the new patch and while it is a lot of fun, the issue with the limited skill system and loot still persists.  What do I mean?  Because of the way skill damage is tied to your weapon damage (as opposed to stats or skill points that you invest), your success is pretty much tied simply to having the highest DPS weapon you can find, regardless of your class or "build" or skill choices.  And that pretty much means.... Auction House!

Without the AH, my mid 40s mage had weapons with DPS in the 110-150 range (even with gems).  Sure I got more yellow drops and made small incremental improvements in either stats or dmg, but as I got further along I noticed my ability to kill was steadily getting worse.  So I went to the AH, put my buyout limit at 50K, and lo and behold, everything that showed up was in the 500+ dps range.  WTF?  I haven't seen anything remotely close in hundreds of drops at my level, yet there they all were.  I was being choosy at first but then I remembered the golden rule: DPS trumps all, so I grabbed the highest DPS thing there, an axe with 730 or something crazy like that.  As soon as I equipped it, everything around me just melted like butter, it was pretty ridiculous.  My overall damage number went from something like 2000 to 8000 (I don't remember exactly).

In other words, AH still is the dominant factor.  In my last week of play I've leveled from around 40 to 52 and in that time I think I've had one usable drop, so not much has changed for me yet.  It's not just that the items I get are mediocre, but the disparity between them and what's on the AH is so far it's ridiculous.

I completely agree. I love the gameplay itself, and just killed Diablo on Inferno with my barbarian, but the loot drops are horrible. I have not yet found a single set item (the green colored ones), and have found about 5 legendaries. This is with around a hundred hours of gameplay (spread around over 6 characters, only 1 level 60). Because of the AH I can still compete, but it does feel wrong...

The chances for awesome items should be MUCH higher, and the AH should have a bind-on-sell function or something...

Still, the game itself is fantastic.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: October 29, 2012, 01:00:30 PM »

I've gotten better items through crafting than with drops.  If you craft items as soon as you get to the level requirement, you can make items that are much better than what the enemies are dropping.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: January 18, 2013, 07:18:41 PM »

Blizzard Jay Wilson says... GOODBYE!

Seven Years in Sanctuary (Jay Wilson's farewell note at forums)
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7592242994#1
I recently celebrated my seven-year anniversary working on Diablo III, and while it's been one of the most challenging and rewarding periods of my life, I've reached a point creatively where I'm looking forward to working on something new. The powers that be at Blizzard have been gracious enough to give me that opportunity. Over the course of the next several weeks, I will be moving off of the Diablo III project and transitioning elsewhere within Blizzard. This decision was not an easy one for me, and not one I made quickly, but ultimately it's what I feel is right.

The first thing I want to assure you all is that this will not negatively impact our ongoing support of Diablo III. The game was not made by one person, far from it, and the team that poured their passion and considerable talent into it isn't going anywhere. We have lots of things planned for the future, and those plans will carry forward as normal. I also won't be abandoning the team, and will remain available to them during the transition period while we determine who will take over duties as game director.

To that point, you shouldn't be surprised if you see a job posting for a game director on Diablo III, as we want to make sure we explore every opportunity to find the best possible leadership for the project.  We're looking forward to finding this person and hearing what kind of fresh ideas they can bring to the table.

I'm proud of Diablo III, and despite our differences at times I will miss the community that has formed around it. I feel I have made many mistakes in managing that relationship, but my intent was always to provide a great gaming experience, and be as open and receptive as possible, while still sticking true to the vision the Diablo team has for the game.

I know some of you feel we fell short of our promise to release the game "when it's ready." While we're not perfect, we try to make the best decisions we can with the information and knowledge we have at the time. That doesn't mean we always make the right decisions, but if we made a mistake then I feel we've made an exceptional effort to correct it.

blah blah blah
I got nothing against the guy. Just, once my beta and launch fuzzies wore off, I found D3 ultimately poorly balanced and exasperating beyond belief. I played it far less longer than the other two games. As well the excitement here didn't last nearly as long as I anticipated it would.

While I don't believe Diablo II walked on water, it just seemed something in D3's very DNA was either wrong or missing or poorly thought out.

I remain convinced that Blizzard tried too hard to Facebook/Twitter-ize Battle.net.

Oh well, yada yada. If you thought Jay Wilson was the Skeleton King, then you can now rejoice.  icon_razz

« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 07:20:55 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: January 22, 2013, 11:26:58 AM »

I still think D3 is a very fun game. It's different from D2, but I like the differences a lot. Basically it's an action game now, with NO roleplaying (ie. building YOUR personal character) at all. Just pick what sounds like fun or might work, and beat stuff up.

Honestly, even though the combat consists of clicking on stuff, they make it awesome and powerful. You hear bones breaking, critters flying off screen leaving a trail of blood and bones, and various ways for them to melt, burn, freeze or be dismembered. So for all the criticisms this game gets, I think they nailed the experience they were going after.

Things I don't like is that there's no reason to make a 2nd character of the same class, and the fact that the loot drops disappoint until you reach inferno and have TONS of magic find. They really missed the ball here.

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #2195 on: January 22, 2013, 12:21:19 PM »

Quote from: The Rocketman on January 22, 2013, 11:26:58 AM

Things I don't like is that there's no reason to make a 2nd character of the same class, and the fact that the loot drops disappoint until you reach inferno and have TONS of magic find. They really missed the ball here.

I agree here.  Making magiic find a pretty important stat in Inferno pretty critical.  Gear with this stat sells at a premium on the AH especially if it ends up on a Lengendary

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #2196 on: January 22, 2013, 08:52:01 PM »

Quote from: The Rocketman on January 22, 2013, 11:26:58 AM

I still think D3 is a very fun game. It's different from D2, but I like the differences a lot. Basically it's an action game now, with NO roleplaying (ie. building YOUR personal character) at all. Just pick what sounds like fun or might work, and beat stuff up.

I think you hit the issue right there.  By stripping the core roleplaying elements down too far, they killed a significant part of the "essence" of the Diablo series.  This isn't to say it's not an awesome engine and a fun game, but as BJ said, it lost a critical part of the DNA from the first two game, and the fact is it is billed as a sequel.  When Brevik left it was pretty obvious that something was going wrong from a philosophical point of view, and unfortunately too many die hard fanboys were happy to go along with whatever Blizzard tossed at them, giving Blizzard enough ammo to keep proceeding with this very different approach.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: January 23, 2013, 02:07:25 AM »

The changes they made were perfectly tuned for someone like me, who hated being pigeon holed with character builds.  In Diablo 2, I wanted to be able to just make my one Druid and play through the game with him, experimenting with skills without worrying about making wrong choices.

They gave me that in Diablo 3.  (yay)  That design decision, among others, was perfectly tuned for people like me.  But unfortunately, people like me don't care about repeat playthroughs. 
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: February 05, 2013, 11:45:17 AM »

I've been thinking about it some more, and I really think the swap-skills-freely gameplay is fantastic. If you think about it, it's a really old-fashioned mechanic to have players choose a skill (based on a vague description), without allowing them to try it out first.

But of course, this leads to the fact that you don't really 'build' your character, since after all, everyone can change his skills to be completely the same as the next guy.

So I think they really should have compensated this with their items. Have more diverse characteristics here, instead of extra stats / damage. Have items influence individual skill changes, cooldown timers, add extra skills (why not from other classes? I had a D2 elemental druid with a teleport skill-staff which was awesome), and more stuff to flesh out your character. And they could have used the jeweller and smith for this.

Right now damage is pretty much the most interesting stat, coupled with your core stat (vitality, intelligence...). You don't choose much more than that, except the occasional crit chance build or some such thing. Not very interesting at all.

Just my 2 cents.
TheEgoWhip
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: February 11, 2013, 01:34:40 AM »

Decided to go back to give Diablo another go round, and finally got my hardcore toon up to lvl 60.  Game has a slightly different edge playing HC for me.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 72   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: