http://gamingtrend.com
December 17, 2014, 08:04:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Counterstrike: What's the deal?  (Read 1145 times)
DonD
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 20, 2004, 02:46:45 PM »

Ok, so I'm one of the 3 people who never played the original.

I hopped online to try it out, and had no idea what was going on.

Buy weapons:  done (picked some kind of SMG and primary ammo, and a kevlar vest).

Team is running around.  I'll follow 'em.  *splat*

Couple of problems:  No manual, No idea what game is about really, aside from team vs team.

I find it difficult to determine who's on my team by sight.  By the time I point the cursor at a guy and check if he's a friendly or enemy, I'm dead (the skins are hard for me to tell apart).

In one of the maps, there were some civilians, and after I died, one of my teammates did something like 'C'mon lets go' to them (then he got killed).  I assume that's a hostage rescue, but where to you take them to?  Back to the buy point?

Is there a way to set a loadout and default to the same items each time the map starts?  It seems silly that it always defaults to the pistol, and I have to buy my SMG and primary ammo every time.

I'm not a novice to the game type (having played Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six / Raven Shield extensively), just to the game.  Both of those seemed easier to understand and get into than this.  And both had offline modes so you don't feel like an idiot / team liability online.

- Don

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2004, 04:38:16 PM »

There are 2 kinds of maps.

1 - Hostage Rescue (CT rescue hostage by taking them back to buy point)
2 - Bomb map (Terrorists plant and set off bomb while CTs try to diffuse it)

As for who is an enemy and who is friendly, it just takes time to recongize all the skins.

You can set buy scripts to buy specific load outs at the beginning of each round. CS:Source lets you buy your last loadout. I'm not familiar with setting them up I just became familiar with the buy menus.

Best  thing to do is learn the maps. When dead ghost around the map to find out where everything is.

http://www.counter-strike.net/manual.html has an old manual. Some stuff is out of date (Escape/Assassination) but Hostage and Bomb info should be good. Was trying to find a better how to but havent yet.

Dont worry about dying a lot. I haven't played CS in months and almost all I did was die when I played a bit last night. On one map I had more kills in one round than the previous 2 maps I played because I couldnt kill squat.[/url]

BigRedCat
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2004, 05:00:37 PM »

It just takes time. Remember, these guys have been playing this for years. I was pretty good at one time but I played last week and died a ton. Just set a goal of one kill at a time and follow, don't lead. Stay back and observe others.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2004, 05:46:24 PM »

Most of the servers have friendly fire off (just ask "FF on?" when you enter if you're not sure) so don't worry about friend or foe recognition.  Shoot first, ask questions later. :)

For a simple way to get equipped, just hit F1 at the start to have it automatically buy a set of equipment.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2004, 05:56:41 PM »

Quote from: "DonD"
And both had offline modes so you don't feel like an idiot / team liability online.

if you want to spend some time learning the levels, you can start your own server in which you're the only player and just take the time to explore.  get to know the areas and try out the different weapons a little...because it's your server, you can set the starting money and buy times really high and try everything out.  i've never played CS before and that's what i was doing while i waited for HL2 to unlock Cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2004, 07:46:36 PM »

If you can find it...there's a Counter-Strike guide book out there.  I got it about 2 years ago...but the popular maps/competitive maps are still in there (and it obviously isn't source, so they're alike, but a little different in terms of random stuff) and it'll give you an idea about what should be done.  It was written by a top American team (3d) and I've found it quite useful.  So if you can find it for a few bucks, pick it up for sure.

TheMissingLink on PSN
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2004, 08:42:55 PM »

I have the exact same problem, unable to tell friend from foe. I have this problem too in Battlefield 1942, though to a lesser extent.

Being color-blind doesn't help matters.
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2004, 09:15:39 PM »

Good way to tell who your teamates are check your radar. If you see somone and no blip on the radar then you know its a baddy. Or if you hear somone and no one is nearby on your radar then you know its an enemy.

Set ambushes. I cannot key this enough. Its better then trying to go head to head with the guy then if you lurk and wait for him to pass by you. Learn to start walking near the ends of the round. Makes the enemy have to spot you.

Try to relax. Alot of people tense up and that really affects their aim. As for learning the map don't worry about it, you'll learn them just play the maps with everyone else. You'll get them just takes time.

Ascendent
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: