http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 07:49:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: addicted gamer...  (Read 1074 times)
BEEFHAMMA
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: September 09, 2008, 09:51:23 PM »

Are there any other recovering addicts in this forum? I gave up gaming in April of this year because I felt I was flat out addicted and wanted to do more productive things with my time. I just joined this forum last week...perhaps not the smartest thing to do, but I needed a way to still be connected without actually being connected...if that makes any sense at all. Lately I've been struggling with the idea of possibly getting back into it. Was just wondering if there are any others like me out there.
Ascendent
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 09:59:43 PM »

Aside from serious WoW burn out, no. My girlfriend hit the wall though, she is like you wants to do something more productive with her time. My advice if your seriously committed to not gaming again, then maybe this forum isn't the best of ideas. Sure there have to be recovering gamer addicts forums some where. Or maybe forums that pertain to your interests outside of gaming?

Regardless best of luck with your addiction, I think in the long run you'll be much better for it.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 10:07:18 PM »

Not exactly, not being addicted to all games, but I do know what you mean.  I know that if I ever start another online game, someone should just shoot me.  I can play a lot, but the whole obsessed thing is much rarer in single person games, for me anyway. FFXI damn near killed me, and it took me over a year and a half to pull it's fangs out.  I even went into a gaming slump after it - nothing that had previously interested me, like first person shooters, held any interest anymore.  It wasn't until I played FFXII, thankfully it has no online component, that I got my gaming mojo back.  I still miss FFXI and the people in my clan, but I know I can never go back!   crybaby

And Ascendent is right - this forum will get you jonesing for a game someday... maybe you can stick to Off-Topic?

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 10:17:27 PM »

One of reason that I don't play online game is that I know I am going to get addicted.
And I know a person whom I used work with became homeless for few months because of online game addiction and that's just too scary for me.
BEEFHAMMA
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 11:38:54 PM »

Quote from: biggercup on September 09, 2008, 10:17:27 PM

One of reason that I don't play online game is that I know I am going to get addicted.
And I know a person whom I used work with became homeless for few months because of online game addiction and that's just too scary for me.

yeah, that's a whole different level of addiction. And for me, strangely enough, it was more single player stuff than multiplayer. Games are just so complex these days, I couldn't get enough. I would want to play the game from start to finish in one sitting...kind of like a good book you have a hard time putting down. I was never able to finish a book in one night, and I was never able to finish a game, at least not one on 360, in one night either. Gaming quited down for me for a long time, and I was almost out of it until Bioshock came along. That game got me back in the swing big time. I played through it three times, staying up until 2 or 3 in the morning every night. Addiction might be the wrong word, unable to efficiently moderate my playing time was more my problem..the same with every other vice of mine. I have a wife and two kids, so it's not like I was neglecting them to play games, and I never played while the kids were awake OR when my wife was home....unless she was already in bed slywink It was just that, once I started...i found it incredibly difficult to stop. I'm sure everyone here can relate to that at least somewhat. But most people are probably able to cut themselves off a lot better than i was.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 11:40:49 PM by BEEFHAMMA » Logged
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 05:37:18 PM »

Quote from: BEEFHAMMA on September 09, 2008, 11:38:54 PM

yeah, that's a whole different level of addiction. And for me, strangely enough, it was more single player stuff than multiplayer. Games are just so complex these days, I couldn't get enough. I would want to play the game from start to finish in one sitting...kind of like a good book you have a hard time putting down. I was never able to finish a book in one night, and I was never able to finish a game, at least not one on 360, in one night either. Gaming quited down for me for a long time, and I was almost out of it until Bioshock came along. That game got me back in the swing big time. I played through it three times, staying up until 2 or 3 in the morning every night. Addiction might be the wrong word, unable to efficiently moderate my playing time was more my problem..the same with every other vice of mine. I have a wife and two kids, so it's not like I was neglecting them to play games, and I never played while the kids were awake OR when my wife was home....unless she was already in bed slywink It was just that, once I started...i found it incredibly difficult to stop. I'm sure everyone here can relate to that at least somewhat. But most people are probably able to cut themselves off a lot better than i was.

I got addicted to World or Warcraft in much the same way. I would sit down to play after the wife and kids went to sleep. Started out fun, as I'd play for an hour and get to bed at a reasonable hour. But within a couple of months I was going to be at three or four in the morning every night. I never let it get in the way of anything except sleep, but after a month or so of short sleep I was a zombie. I was addicted for about three months total, two of which were really bad. Finally, I just decided that was it and I quit. I'm sure if I kept playing another half year I would have totally screwed up my life. I've never gone back and know that I never will. I for the most part stay away from online gaming now because I'm afraid I'll get addicted again, but to be honest, I have so little desire to be as miserably tired as I was when I was playing World or Warcraft that I have zero desire to go back to MMORPGs.

I used to get fairly addicted to single-player games, too, but I seem to have overcome that now. I can usually stop at a reasonable hour, and gaming is one of only many ways I spend free time. I basically made a deal with myself that I would quit forever if I couldn't have it be part of a balanced life. I figure some is better than none, so I really try to keep things under control. Maybe a half dozen times a year I'll stay up much later than I should, and maybe once a year I'll get locked on a game to the point of obsession, but that doesn't really bother me.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 01:24:30 PM »

First off, welcome back!  I went through something similar (funny, given my position in the site) where I had to have every big game that came out.  I looked back one day and realized that I hadn't finished so many great games before moving on to the next hot thing.  I've really curbed that and I try to pace myself so I'm not rushing through games just to get my next shrinkwrap fix.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 05:53:04 PM »

I have 60-something Friends on XBL, though I only know who half of them are, of course.  But still, almost a full year after I quit Final Fantasy XI - that I had played for almost 2 years... people are still playing it, obsessively.  At any given time, half of the people showing as playing a game on my Friend's List - are playing FFXI.

I can only imagine the fan-base of WoW, not being a PC player - but a friend of mine, whose teenagers used to play video games at my house when they all visited - is hooked on WoW now!  I  think we need to take a page from whoever started the name "EverCrack" - mmm...  MMORPGCRACK? I hope and pray that WoW never comes to a console near me!   icon_eek

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
bluntman72
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 07:22:22 PM »

Yeah I got hooked on WOW while I was unemployed and got to where thats all I did all day for months. now I have a good job again and have abit of WOW burnout so just play a few hours a week. I am a bit worried about WOTLK since I dont want to get that obsessive again and I know I am the type who will want to hit 80 with the first group of people to get PVP gear before everyone else. I used to play single player games for hours but now I cant get into them and have tons of hot titles that stay wrapped unopened on my shelf. I never opened my Bioshock when I sold my 360 so its kind of a waste

I actually thought of selling my WOW account awhile back to remove the temptation but havent done it
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: