http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 09:53:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PS2] I want gauntlet!  (Read 612 times)
Marik
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: January 26, 2008, 04:45:27 AM »

I spent some time playing around on a friend's Wii and I was amazed at all the great simple multi player games on that system.  I'm stuck with the PS2, however, and I find I have almost nothing that's fun for a group of people to play together.  I've got Tekken 5 which is hideously unfair if you don't know the moves and I've got Soul Calibur which is the fighting game for people who've huffed so much glue they can only mash random buttons and marvel at all the pretty lights.

I'm looking for something that is Co-op and fun.  I looked into the BG:Dark Alliance series but they're 99% tedious dungeon crawl and 1% reward.  I looked into the X-men Legends games but they appear to be only slightly better than BG.  Marvel Ultimate Alliance looked pretty neat.

Any suggestions?  I'm focused on Gauntlet-style co-op games but I'd be interested in anything that has a fun, challenging co-op mode.  Something like Streets of Rage meets Ratchet and Clank meets Gauntlet.

Any ideas?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 05:27:39 AM »

There's Gauntlet: Seven Sorrows or Gauntlet: Dark Legacy.  I played DL in the arcade and it was pretty fun, but I never tried SS.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 05:34:19 AM »

If you get a PS3 then you can download Gauntlet smile
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 04:52:09 PM »

I have The Red Star which has 2 player co-op and it's lots of fun. It's hard to put it in a genre, but it's sort of a 3d platformer/shooter. For much of the game you view it from a top down angle like Baldur's Gate, but at other times your view is from side on. It's not an easy game, so unless you're looking for a challenge it might not be for your.

Other than it and the ones you've mentioned you've more or less come up against a weakness in the PS2 library. I don't understand why there's so few co-op games for the PS2. There is sports games, but even many of those only support competitive 2 player. Perhaps the PS2 CPU couldn't handle the additional players well for co-op.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 08:19:08 PM by kronovan » Logged
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 10:40:22 PM »

I'm pretty sure the PS2 has an arcade classics collection with Gauntlet in it. icon_wink

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 10:42:13 PM »

Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks is a great co-op game for two people.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 11:02:29 PM »

Quote from: Marik on January 26, 2008, 04:45:27 AM

I'm looking for something that is Co-op and fun.  I looked into the BG:Dark Alliance series but they're 99% tedious dungeon crawl and 1% reward.  I looked into the X-men Legends games but they appear to be only slightly better than BG.  Marvel Ultimate Alliance looked pretty neat.
Along the same lines, how about Champions of Norrath and Champions: Return to Arms?  The first game was rated pretty highly upon release - it's a dungeon crawler, but a really good one.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 02:46:09 AM »

Quote from: Graham on January 28, 2008, 10:42:13 PM

Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks is a great co-op game for two people.

I high 5 and ditto that! In fact since I can't play my Xbox copy on my X360 I've been thinking about picking up the PS2 version.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2008, 03:47:38 AM »

Champions of Norrath is fun and has excellent graphics, but the fact that you can only have 2 spells/abilities ready to use at once is a big pain, and there are glitches and bugs as well.  The developer's follow-up to the Norrath games, Justice League Heroes, is much improved and a lot of fun.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: