http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 10:06:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360]Bioshock  (Read 31106 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 10, 2007, 03:01:17 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 10, 2007, 01:49:33 PM

Bioshock suprise announcement this sunday

maybe they'll be announcing it's coming out early!!!!!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: August 10, 2007, 03:06:51 PM »

A sequel announcement isn't too far fetched.  It's likely they have a lot of preorders already so they know the game will sell.

Multiplayer?  Still somewhat possible.  It'd have to be a patch on, but I see multiplayer as being pretty fun as people mix powers.  Co-op would be a dream, if the announcement is really that big, co-op or multiplayer could be it.  Once again, if the preorders were enough, it's likely the publisher will fund some extras.  Also, if it is multiplayer the new trailer that this announcement comes with could show off that new gameplay.

PS3 release?  Highly unlikely since MS is publishing on PC and 360, but with the unreal optimizations they did, maybe with another publisher months down the line.

A movie option would be very interesting, right up this game's alley because the setting would really work for one.

And anyone know the origin of that bouncing fat kid snippet that's all over the internet.  I want to read up on what's wrong with him.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 10, 2007, 03:14:15 PM »

Quote from: juniordan on August 10, 2007, 02:07:10 PM

Less than 2 week...........I feel like a fat kid with a cake.

but we all know what happens when tubby gets the sweets:

Spoiler for Hiden:

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 10, 2007, 03:16:53 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on August 10, 2007, 03:06:51 PM

And anyone know the origin of that bouncing fat kid snippet that's all over the internet.  I want to read up on what's wrong with him.

whenever i see that kid,i think of Chunk doing the truffle shuffle from the goonies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJwcxUVz6zc

EDIT:it also amuses me how this thread has gone to Ayn Rand 1920s superstunner!!...to 1980's fat kids icon_biggrin thumbsup
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 03:24:55 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 10, 2007, 03:38:22 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on August 10, 2007, 03:06:51 PM

PS3 release?  Highly unlikely since MS is publishing on PC and 360, but with the unreal optimizations they did, maybe with another publisher months down the line.

Bioshock is not being published by Microsoft.  It's published by Take 2 (who also owns Irrational). 
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 10, 2007, 03:47:08 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 10, 2007, 01:49:33 PM

Bioshock suprise announcement this sunday

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=169860

well,we know that its an off line game,so whetehr they have been able to squeeze in a deathmatch or two....meh

then what could it be???

There's only two weeks until its 360 / PC release but apparently we don't quite know everything there is to know about Bioshock.
 Irrational Games is set to make a surprise Bioshock announcement on US telly this weekend, alongside a brand new trailer. "You won't want to miss this!," US tv show Game head promises.

perhaps because of it going gold,the go ahead for a sequel is now on the cards

My hopes are firmly not up for this.  I'm sure it'll be something like an announcement that the trailer is available on Live Marketplace!

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 10, 2007, 03:50:50 PM »

Its the DEMO.......

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ‹(•Ώ•)›  ‹(•Ώ•)›  ‹(•Ώ•)›
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ‹(•Ώ•)›  ‹(•Ώ•)›  ‹(•Ώ•)›
PS3 Spinks
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 10, 2007, 03:53:53 PM »

Quote from: juniordan on August 10, 2007, 03:50:50 PM

Its the DEMO.......

There's a demo out?!
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 10, 2007, 03:58:48 PM »

I am looking for the link I read that said they are purposely saving the DEMO to launch with the opening of some trade or game show...Help me out anyone if you know what I am talking about.

Not exactly what I am talking about but here.
According to the latest list of age ratings to be published by Germany’s USK board, a demo of Irrational's Bioshock is due for imminent release.

Unsurprisingly, the demo has been rated 18 by the board, although its entry on the official USK website doesn't specify when we'll be seeing it on the Marketplace.

However, with Bioshock due to be released in all its horrific glory on the 24 August, we wouldn’t be too surprised if the demo popped up in the next couple of weeks, so as to ensure people get a full-on taste of what 2K Games and Irrational will be dishing up shortly after.

We’ll let you know as soon as we have details of what you can expect to find within the demo. For now though, be patient - at least we know it is coming.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 05:27:38 PM by juniordan » Logged

PS3 Spinks
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 10, 2007, 04:08:16 PM »

here you go JRdan
http://www.360-gamer.com/news.asp?id=1285

EDIT:oh you've found it,never mind,lol
maybe they will announce the demo as appearing on marketplace as they are talking....sunday night(less than two weeks)is a good time to put it up

anyway

as its a suprise,whether its just a trailer or indeed a demo......as long as its nothing that can hurt us or pierce our hearts,i am fine with whatever they announce(i think)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 04:10:47 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 10, 2007, 04:19:14 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 10, 2007, 04:08:16 PM

as its a suprise,whether its just a trailer or indeed a demo......as long as its nothing that can hurt us or pierce our hearts,i am fine with whatever they announce(i think)

maybe they've been hired to re-do Mass Effect using the Bioshock engine, thusly delaying ME for a few years  icon_twisted

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 10, 2007, 04:40:06 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 10, 2007, 04:19:14 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 10, 2007, 04:08:16 PM

maybe they've been hired to re-do Mass Effect using the Bioshock engine, thusly delaying ME for a few years  icon_twisted

THATS IT....you're going to the hottest parts of Hell for that,your spirit will never be clean again!!...and may WE have mercy on your soul

and it will be a suprise for the guy announcing that, when he finds my fist down his throat!!

siege

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 10, 2007, 05:09:11 PM »

Can't wait to play this. 2k Boston haven't made a game I've disliked yet.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 10, 2007, 05:10:51 PM »

It better be the demo because otherwise I can't imagine anything living up to any of these announcements.  But, as someone else said, it's probably something stupid like "download the new exclusive trailer off of Live right now" or "get your Bioshock themed gamertag pic."
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 10, 2007, 05:19:24 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on August 10, 2007, 05:10:51 PM

It better be the demo because otherwise I can't imagine anything living up to any of these announcements.  But, as someone else said, it's probably something stupid like "download the new exclusive trailer off of Live right now" or "get your Bioshock themed gamertag pic."

ooh, a gamerpic.  that's worthy of a press release and tv spot :rollseyes:

demo would be good, co-op would be ecstasy.  at least give us the first 30 minutes or so in a demo though.  i would hate a 1.5 gb cocktease showing us 5 minutes of movie and 10 minutes of gameplay. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 10, 2007, 05:20:44 PM »

well if it's a demo I'm going to skip it.  I can wait for the main course this close to serving time.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 10, 2007, 05:51:27 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 10, 2007, 05:20:44 PM

well if it's a demo I'm going to skip it.  I can wait for the main course this close to serving time.

hmm,but what if like a lot of people on here,who played the stranglehold demo or the Blue Dragon demo it made that game number 1 on list to...well,not on the list...what if,the Bioshock demo could do that for you....WHAT IF???

i am gonna download the demo,as i suspect it wont stop me from buying it,but i have been let down by other games before mad

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 10, 2007, 06:04:45 PM »

Sadly, Irrational has now changed their name- they are now 2K Boston and 2K Australia.  Probably not too big a deal but I don't care for the name change.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 10, 2007, 06:10:27 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on August 10, 2007, 06:04:45 PM

Sadly, Irrational has now changed their name- they are now 2K Boston and 2K Australia.  Probably not too big a deal but I don't care for the name change.

dumb move.  irrational as a name has far more street cred than those two.  at least they retained the image of independence. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 10, 2007, 06:23:40 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 10, 2007, 05:20:44 PM

I take it you won,t be on the forum for a week then....

PS3 Spinks
warning

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 10, 2007, 07:14:28 PM »

Quote from: Caine on August 10, 2007, 06:10:27 PM

dumb move.  irrational as a name has far more street cred than those two.  at least they retained the image of independence. 

Yeah I read that.  I'm not sure what the deal is.  I can't imagine Irrational going to 2K and saying "Change our name please" so I'm thinking it must have come from higher up.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 10, 2007, 07:27:19 PM »

Quote from: warning on August 10, 2007, 07:14:28 PM

Yeah I read that.  I'm not sure what the deal is.  I can't imagine Irrational going to 2K and saying "Change our name please" so I'm thinking it must have come from higher up.

As someone on QT3 pointed out, it just feels like Take 2 making it that much easier to merge/split them apart later. 
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 10, 2007, 07:33:11 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on August 10, 2007, 07:27:19 PM

Quote from: warning on August 10, 2007, 07:14:28 PM

As someone on QT3 pointed out, it just feels like Take 2 making it that much easier to merge/split them apart later. 

that mean that take two is looking to sell off the 2k line to offset the stock hit from the gta delay?

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 10, 2007, 07:39:19 PM »

Quote from: Caine on August 10, 2007, 07:33:11 PM

that mean that take two is looking to sell off the 2k line to offset the stock hit from the gta delay?

I think it's just the nature of these large corporations.  Put them under the same umbrella and then start consolidating.  It'll probably start small like "oh, we've got some of our team helping out on "Table Tennis 2" then it's "2K Boston is relocating to San Francisco" and half the team leaves, then they combine with Rockstar San Diego to form 2K West so they can make Midnight Club 7", etc. 

Hope I'm wrong. 
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 10, 2007, 07:47:02 PM »

No different than EA buying someone and renaming them "EA (whatever)."  They've kept the old name in the cases I can think of (EA Mythic and EA Phenomic are the main two I can remember), but it's the same deal.  It's all just branding.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 10, 2007, 07:54:46 PM »

Quote from: kathode on August 10, 2007, 07:47:02 PM

No different than EA buying someone and renaming them "EA (whatever)."  They've kept the old name in the cases I can think of (EA Mythic and EA Phenomic are the main two I can remember), but it's the same deal.  It's all just branding.
'

Right but in the cases where they didn't keep the name it seems like they ultimately just kind of disappeared.  What did Westwood become?  How about Bullfrog?  Those two companies are full all intents and purposes gone.  Maybe they are still a part of EALA or something but it seems like their corporate cultures and identities aren't there anymore.  Keeping the name attached is probably a better sign.  Irrational 2K or something would give me a warmer fuzzy about the whole thing. 
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 10, 2007, 08:16:31 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on August 10, 2007, 07:54:46 PM

Quote from: kathode on August 10, 2007, 07:47:02 PM

'

Right but in the cases where they didn't keep the name it seems like they ultimately just kind of disappeared.  What did Westwood become?  How about Bullfrog?  Those two companies are full all intents and purposes gone.  Maybe they are still a part of EALA or something but it seems like their corporate cultures and identities aren't there anymore.  Keeping the name attached is probably a better sign.  Irrational 2K or something would give me a warmer fuzzy about the whole thing. 

Most of the ex-Westwood guys were/are EA Redwood Shores.  Bullfrog got folded into EA UK and those who left split between Mucky Foot and Lionhead.  Oh wait, you were being rhetorical weren't you? slywink  I'm just saying, I think looking at a name change for predicting the future is silly.  Bioshock will probably be 2K's top selling game over the holiday season now.  They're not going anywhere.  I'm definitely with you that I like Irrational as a name better, but for whatever reason I find 2K Irrational/Irrational 2K just doesn't run off the tongue nicely.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: August 10, 2007, 08:29:22 PM »

Quote from: juniordan on August 10, 2007, 06:23:40 PM

It's a sailboat!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 10, 2007, 08:37:36 PM »

Quote from: kathode on August 10, 2007, 08:16:31 PM

Most of the ex-Westwood guys were/are EA Redwood Shores.  Bullfrog got folded into EA UK and those who left split between Mucky Foot and Lionhead.  Oh wait, you were being rhetorical weren't you? slywink  I'm just saying, I think looking at a name change for predicting the future is silly.  Bioshock will probably be 2K's top selling game over the holiday season now.  They're not going anywhere.  I'm definitely with you that I like Irrational as a name better, but for whatever reason I find 2K Irrational/Irrational 2K just doesn't run off the tongue nicely.

I think Irrational's future will entirely rest on how well Bioshock does.  And I hope it does very well but I'm also jaded enough to know that masses of internet fanboys are not a good predicator of overall game sales.  But I do think that if Bioshock disappoints at retail then it's only a matter of time before they really are doing Table Tennis 2 and finding out that Ken Levine has left to form a new studio. 
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 10, 2007, 11:58:30 PM »

Alright, here's a question:  Can anyone recall a game company changing it's name and it being a good thing- ie going from healthy to healthier in the process.  The only ones I can think of offhand go way back- id and Blizzard.  I guess that's really what worries me- I'm hard pressed to think of a studio picked up in acquisition that was forced to change it's name and yet retained the quality they were known for. 
unbreakable
« Reply #110 on: August 11, 2007, 12:05:53 AM »

It's actually hard to predict anyway.  It's not like the gaming industry in specific has any kind of stability.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 11, 2007, 12:41:54 AM »

Quote from: unbreakable on August 11, 2007, 12:05:53 AM

It's actually hard to predict anyway.  It's not like the gaming industry in specific has any kind of stability.

Very true but if you look at trends, being acquired and changing your name hasn't really been a good thing- see the aforementioned Westwood and Bullfrog examples. If Take 2 was changing the Rockstar and Firaxis names then I wouldn't be so worried about Irrational being singled out. 
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: August 11, 2007, 01:10:48 AM »

Well, Rockstar North (developers of GTA) used to be DMA Designs, and Take Two changed Barking Dog Studios to Rockstar Vancouver and Angel Studios to Rockstar San Diego a couple years ago. 

But I still think the 2K name is much worse than Irrational. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 11, 2007, 01:19:49 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 10, 2007, 05:51:27 PM

hmm,but what if like a lot of people on here,who played the stranglehold demo or the Blue Dragon demo it made that game number 1 on list to...well,not on the list...what if,the Bioshock demo could do that for you....WHAT IF???

I have faith!

Because I can,
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 11, 2007, 02:02:20 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on August 11, 2007, 01:10:48 AM

Well, Rockstar North (developers of GTA) used to be DMA Designs, and Take Two changed Barking Dog Studios to Rockstar Vancouver and Angel Studios to Rockstar San Diego a couple years ago. 

But I still think the 2K name is much worse than Irrational. 

Rockstar North is definitely an example of a "good" change.  Was it initiated before or after the Take 2 purchase (I can't remember)?  Angel I would call a draw.  Barking Dog kind of made a good beginning for itself with Homeworld Cataclysm but following that up with Treasure Island and Global Ops only ended up hurting them so I would say renaming in that case helped them in terms of giving them a cleaner slate but that's a different situation. 
unbreakable
« Reply #115 on: August 11, 2007, 03:18:41 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on August 11, 2007, 12:41:54 AM

It's actually hard to predict anyway.  It's not like the gaming industry in specific has any kind of stability.

Very true but if you look at trends, being acquired and changing your name hasn't really been a good thing- see the aforementioned Westwood and Bullfrog examples. If Take 2 was changing the Rockstar and Firaxis names then I wouldn't be so worried about Irrational being singled out. 

Yeah, but Westwood and Bullfrog were going tits up regardless of the name change.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 11, 2007, 03:45:17 AM »

Quote from: unbreakable on August 11, 2007, 03:18:41 AM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on August 11, 2007, 12:41:54 AM

Yeah, but Westwood and Bullfrog were going tits up regardless of the name change.

Were they?  I know Bullfrog was kind of getting it's ass kicked but IIRC Westwood was coming off the very well received Red Alert 2 when EA picked them up.

But more importantly my point is that EA basically bought and buried both of them instead of trying to turn them around and restore their reputations to where they were before. Both companies had names that had strong histories associated with them. Meanwhile EA has retained the branding of some of their other purchased studios like Criterion.  So, to me, renaming isn't a vote of confidence.  You certainly don't see Microsoft renaming Bungie or Lionhead in an attempt to improve the branding of MGS. 

I'm not trying to be overly negative or too much in doom and gloom.  Maybe this won't be a bad thing, but I have a hard time seeing the path for this being a good thing too.  Take 2 has been having a lot of financial difficulties, they've already lost two high profile titles for this year (GTA and Manhunt 2) and they're cash starved (hence the loan from MS for GTA DLC).  I'm just not going to be surprised next year when a bunch of the various Take 2 dev houses start getting shut down and merged. 
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 11, 2007, 05:05:31 AM »

UPDATE: A reliable source tells CVG that the announcement will involve Xbox 360 download content - specifically downloadable plasmids for the console version. We'll let you know how good our info is on Sunday.

Nothing interesting about that. It better include a Demo.

PS3 Spinks
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 11, 2007, 07:32:17 AM »

Quote from: juniordan on August 11, 2007, 05:05:31 AM

UPDATE: A reliable source tells CVG that the announcement will involve Xbox 360 download content - specifically downloadable plasmids for the console version. We'll let you know how good our info is on Sunday.

I doubt they'll stay exclusive to the console for long.  I'm curious as to how mod friendly the game will be.

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: August 11, 2007, 08:21:38 AM »

Smells like a case of publishers forcing devs to hold back content just to put up as pay for downloads, or as part of some console exclusive agreement.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: