http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 05:19:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [360] Guitar Hero II  (Read 27332 times)
denoginizer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: April 02, 2007, 12:47:29 AM »

Quote from: Brendan on April 02, 2007, 12:45:28 AM

Quote from: Lee on April 02, 2007, 12:43:53 AM

Question about this game? I had an arm injury years ago that resulted in my middle finger on my left hand having limited use. I can use it, but for instance, typing I can't lift the finger off the keys, I rotate my whole hand to pull it up off the keys.

So in GH do you primary use your index finger on the guitar neck, or is it more like a real guitar where I have need to have good use of all 4 fingers?

You really need the use of all four fingers - although the game does include a "lefty flip" option, so you could reverse the guitar and just use your left hand for strumming/whammy bar use.

The easiest thing would be to go to a Best Buy or similar and try the floor model to see what you think.  It's a fantastic game.

It would be tough without all four fingers but not impossible.  I agree with Brendan about trying it out at Best Buy first.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 02, 2007, 01:01:53 AM »

Thanks guys, I have some friends who have it, but never played it because I didn't want to look like an idiot. So BB is out! I will have to sneak away and play it at their house next time I am there.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 02, 2007, 01:04:51 AM »

Quote from: Lee on April 02, 2007, 01:01:53 AM

Thanks guys, I have some friends who have it, but never played it because I didn't want to look like an idiot. So BB is out! I will have to sneak away and play it at their house next time I am there.

You're going to look like an idiot the first time (first ten times?) regardless of your mobility. slywink
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 02, 2007, 01:05:52 AM »

Quote from: Zinfan on April 02, 2007, 12:24:35 AM

Quote from: Hetz on April 01, 2007, 11:10:43 PM

Quote from: The Grue on April 01, 2007, 10:39:57 PM

Quote from: Hetz on April 01, 2007, 06:21:43 PM

There will be indie stuff that is new...but the only licensed stuff that will be available is from Gh1. Best start dealing with that fact now if it's making you that upset.

I'm not pissed that it's not on the PS3. I wouldn't buy it if it was. No way in hell would I pay $89.99 for it when I got it for $39.99 on the PS2...but that's just me.

How are you still playing it on the PS3 or did you still keep your PS2 around?  Also, I am trying to figure out why you wouldn't buy GH2 when you own three versions of Oblivion I am thinking you might also have two copies of Motorstorm.

I still have my PS2.

Also, I only have one copy of Motorstorm and Oblivion doesn't cost $90 + tax.

Any other silly questions? No, ok I'm off to watch Wrestlemania.

But Oblivion costs $60 for each console version and wasn't the PC version around $40?  So you paid either $100 or $120 more for the exact same content.  I'd say $120 more assuming you buy the PC version for all the mods but then pick up the $60 360 version and the $60 PS3 version with each have the same storyline and game play.
  Anyways I'm still on the fence about this as I didn't get that far along in GH1 and never bought GH2 on the PS2.  I'll let it simmer for a few weeks and see if I roll a 20 on my "resist forum effect" check.

I got the 360 and PC version at the same time. One for my HDTV and the other for the mods etc. They do not have the same content. The mods make the PC version an almost entirely different game.

That is different than Guitar Hero 2, which has 10 new songs on the 360, only half of those are licensed. That is not a good enough reason for me to spend another $90 on the 360 version. Maybe it is for some...but not for me.

Anyway, everyone thinks that certain things are worth spending on more than other things. If I want to buy 10 copies of Oblivion, It's my money I do with it what I please. Just like others are free to buy this. That doesn't mean that people are not able to think I am nuts for buying Oblivion, or I think people are nuts for buying GH2 for the 360.

Enough of a derail though people, enjoy Guitar Hero 2.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 02, 2007, 01:09:57 AM »

Quote from: Hetz on April 02, 2007, 01:05:52 AM

That is different than Guitar Hero 2, which has 10 new songs on the 360, only half of those are licensed. That is not a good enough reason for me to spend another $90 on the 360 version. Maybe it is for some...but not for me.

In my experience with math, 8 of 10 is much greater than 50%.  In fact, it's 80%.

Here're the 10 new songs included in-box:

"Possum Kingdom" - Toadies
"Salvation" - Rancid
"Life Wasted" - Pearl Jam
"Billion Dollar Babies" - Alice Cooper
"Hush" - Deep Purple
"Rock and Roll, Hoochie Koo" - Rick Derringer
"Dead!" - My Chemical Romance
"The Trooper" - Iron Maiden
"Drink Up" - Ounce of Self
"Kicked to the Curb" - Noble Rot

Also, GH2 for the 360 has new expansion possibilities:  foot pedals!
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: April 02, 2007, 01:20:23 AM »

Quote from: Brendan on April 02, 2007, 01:04:51 AM

You're going to look like an idiot the first time (first ten times?) regardless of your mobility. slywink

Agreed. I was embarrassed and I was the only one in the room. icon_lol

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 02, 2007, 03:43:06 AM »

Quote from: jblank on April 02, 2007, 01:20:23 AM

Quote from: Brendan on April 02, 2007, 01:04:51 AM

Agreed. I was embarrassed and I was the only one in the room. icon_lol

Don't worry about looking like an idiot Lee.  I mean, after all, you do hang out with the guy made famous by the 'ass banjo'  slywink  Tongue

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 02, 2007, 04:07:26 AM »

Quote from: Hetz on April 02, 2007, 01:05:52 AM

Enough of a derail though people, enjoy Guitar Hero 2.

Yup, derailed further than it needed to, but I'm still waiting for an answer to my original, simple question of the source of your information. Two pages and you never provided it.

Thanks for finding some further info giving an actual indication on whether there'll be more licensed songs made available on the marketplace, Wonderpug. I avoid IGN so I hadn't read either the review or interviews. It may not be an official confirmation, but it sounds pretty darn promising.

Back on-topic, I'm eagerly awaiting the release of this at my local game shop. It's preordered and I'll be picking it up Tuesday. Supporting small independent businesses, yo! icon_wink I'll be getting a second guitar so my girlfriend and I can team up, and I'm eager to start cranking out my best scores to see how I can line up on the leaderboards with you guys!

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 02, 2007, 04:51:21 PM »

Haas anyone seen extra controllers available?  I don't see any online.  I got the game for my birthday!  Though that means I won't have it in hand tomorrow, sadly, it does mean there will be little problem picking up a second controller.  If only I could...

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 02, 2007, 05:06:52 PM »

I thought I'd be able to resist the 360 version, since as of now it doesn't have all that much of an advantage over the PS2 version.  But it just hit me:

If the GH1 tracks are going to be available for download, does this mean that I'd be able to use practice mode on those GH1 songs, so that I can finally conquer the songs I loved but could never defeat?

Willpower...fading...
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: April 02, 2007, 06:03:29 PM »

It is a big step up from the ps2 version on the audio front.  5.1 vs pro logic is a big thing to me and also not have to constantly go into the options and set progressive scan every time I boot up the game. 

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: April 02, 2007, 06:08:25 PM »

Quote from: shon on April 02, 2007, 06:03:29 PM

It is a big step up from the ps2 version on the audio front.  5.1 vs pro logic is a big thing to me and also not have to constantly go into the options and set progressive scan every time I boot up the game. 

QFT!  Especially on the progressive scan nonsense...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 02, 2007, 06:12:53 PM »

Oh sweet child 'o' mine it has arrived.  Now I just have to stare at it in my office all afternoon.  Oh yeah!
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 02, 2007, 06:14:46 PM »

More importantly, would that mean that the GH1 songs are playable in co-op?  Now that would definitely be a selling point.  The other benefit would be if the GH1 songs are able to be purchased individually rather than in packs.  I definitely don't need all the GH1 songs, but there are a bunch I want.

I think I'll have to take a wait and see with regards to the GH1 material.

unbreakable
« Reply #134 on: April 02, 2007, 07:08:47 PM »

Anyone know if the GH guitar is going to work with the Rock Band game?

That would be kind of goofy if you need not only a different guitar for each platform, but different guitars for each game.

It would almost be cheaper to just get a real guitar and take lessons.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: April 02, 2007, 07:37:10 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on April 02, 2007, 07:08:47 PM

Different publishers (Red Octane/Activision on GH and EA for Rock Band) means that it's a 99.99% certainty that it will require different controllers.

Also, Rock Band is almost certainly going to have a different fret configuration than GH, otherwise they would probably be sued immediately. 
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 02, 2007, 07:57:26 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on April 02, 2007, 04:51:21 PM

Haas anyone seen extra controllers available?  I don't see any online.  I got the game for my birthday!  Though that means I won't have it in hand tomorrow, sadly, it does mean there will be little problem picking up a second controller.  If only I could...

Straight from the teet!  I've never played this game outside of a couple awkward fumblings at display stands.  I picked up the single-guitar bundle but may end up ordering an extra controller as well.
madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 02, 2007, 08:06:26 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on April 02, 2007, 05:06:52 PM

I thought I'd be able to resist the 360 version, since as of now it doesn't have all that much of an advantage over the PS2 version.  But it just hit me:

If the GH1 tracks are going to be available for download, does this mean that I'd be able to use practice mode on those GH1 songs, so that I can finally conquer the songs I loved but could never defeat?

Willpower...fading...

Don't forget improved hammer-on's and pull-off's.
unbreakable
« Reply #138 on: April 02, 2007, 08:26:51 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on April 02, 2007, 07:37:10 PM

Quote from: unbreakable on April 02, 2007, 07:08:47 PM

Different publishers (Red Octane/Activision on GH and EA for Rock Band) means that it's a 99.99% certainty that it will require different controllers.

Also, Rock Band is almost certainly going to have a different fret configuration than GH, otherwise they would probably be sued immediately. 

But aren't they both Harmonix (and MTV)?
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 02, 2007, 08:28:46 PM »

Harmonix and Red Octane have split ways.  Activision has assigned Neversoft (the Tony Hawk guys) to work on GH3.
unbreakable
« Reply #140 on: April 02, 2007, 10:04:38 PM »

Well, now that I have GH 1&2, looks like I'm just going to chill and see how all the next gen stuff turns out.  No sense having a zillion custom controllers hanging around (although it would clearly impress the ladies).
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 03, 2007, 12:08:36 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on April 02, 2007, 06:14:46 PM

More importantly, would that mean that the GH1 songs are playable in co-op?  Now that would definitely be a selling point.

that brings to mind something else i hadn't really thought about before...will GH1 songs imported into GH2 be reworked to have bass tracks for co-op play?  it would be awesome if they went that extra step to add something new to the 360 versions of those songs...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: April 03, 2007, 01:43:07 PM »

Well picked it up last night from walmart had to goto another one because the people at the first were very rude but anyway there were 2 other people waiting so I got home about 12:30 and fired it up.   

The graphics are awesome the lighting effects are well done and I like it.  There are slight pauses in the menu's every once in a while no problem just noticeable.

The audio is what I was really interested in and it did sound good although I couldn't turn it up like I wanted(people sleeping).  I like 5.1 DD. 

The guitar.  At first I didn't like it.  The second strap holder is underneath the fretboard so the guitar doesn't sit well vertically it is kind of at an angle and I had trouble at first.  But after about 30 min I started to like it.  I has a longer body that might right hand can lean on so I can balance the guitar better.  The whammy bar I have mixed feelings.  It doesn't seem to register unless you pull it all the way down, it works but not like I am used to.  It did stay where I left it so that was good.  The start and select are small and a little tough to hit when you need to pause but probably get used to that too.  I like the fret buttons and was able to hit some solos that I had trouble with in ps2.  I play with a pick and it felt fine. 

I only got to play about 5 of the new songs and they are okay I am not to the ones that I really want to play.  Billion dollar babies was my favorite so far.  I unlocked all the bonus songs and played the 2 new ones they are pretty good. 

The achievements are nice but I know I wont get all of them.  Play Jordan on expert with 5 stars.  No way.

The leaderboards are going to be awesome and can't wait for more friends to get on there for some competition.  I was the only one on my friends leaderboard so I was number one for awhile.  Yes....

Can't wait for the download-able songs. 

Any questions let me know.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 03, 2007, 01:55:45 PM »

Went to Target to pick it up at 8 AM and it was showing as locked and not for sale.  I waited a bit, but the lady there told me they wouldn't be able to get it unlocked until noon.  I went to Wal Mart and they were sold out.  I will go to Best Buy and try to get it there at 10.  Target really pisses me off.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 03, 2007, 02:29:01 PM »

For reference I've never played Guitar Hero before this iteration.  Needless to say I had a blast with it.  I was slightly trepidatious at first because I've played guitar for most of my life.  But this game is fun on an entirely different level.  I'm still getting used to the controls and have only played on Medium thus far.  (well, I stuck my toe in the next level up, and while I got 4 stars, I'm not quite ready for that 5th button.)  I can 5 star most of the songs after 1 or 2 tries but I must've played "Who Was in My Room Last Night" 5 or 6 times in a row just because it rocked.  I can't believe some classic Butthole Surfers is on here. thumbsup

I'm off to order a second guitar.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 03, 2007, 03:12:33 PM »

Mine is arriving today from Red Octane!  I can't wait.  Although I hope not knowing any of the songs won't dampen the fun for me.  It doesn't in DDR so I'm hopeful.  I never really listened to music growing up.

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 03, 2007, 03:31:44 PM »

I'm about to kill my guitar.  For the life of me the star power will not activate, doesn't matter if I tilt, shake, violently abuse whatever it just decides to go off when it wants.  At any given time that I'm trying to activate star power, I have about a 25% chance of it activating and a 100% of me missing notes while trying to get it to do it.

The ps2 guitars did the same thing to me making this the 4th guitar I've had that didn't activate star power properly.  At least with the ps2 I could just hit the button with my palm and have seamless starpower.  I wish they could use mercury switches like they did in the guitars I had for guitar freaks frown  those went off everytime.
tiktokman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 03, 2007, 04:18:46 PM »

Got mine just a bit ago at Circuit City. Got the game and the 1600 MS points.

I think my wife is looking forward to playing this as much as I am. She is not a gamer at all but got hooked on the PS2 version over New Year's at her sister's.

Sucks that you can't buy a second guitar yet....grrr.
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 03, 2007, 04:27:41 PM »

I caved and bought it.  I've seen complaints about star power not activating, but I'm not having any issues with it at all.  I tilt and it activates.

After being wireless for so long, I'm finding being attached to the console an annoyance.  Even more so because my daughter is attracted to the wire and keeps walking over it.

Otherwise the game is exactly what I expected.

Good fun.

I need some lunch, then I'm back on the guitar for some more.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 03, 2007, 04:28:23 PM »

Can anyone comment on the length of the cable compared to the PS2 wired guitar? 
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: April 03, 2007, 04:31:57 PM »

Longer.  I think the ps2 guitar (the one with GH1, anyway) had a 6 foot cord.  This one is 9 feet.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 03, 2007, 04:38:39 PM »

Good to hear.  PS2 cord is too short for my taste and my 360 is higher in my entertainment cabinet than the PS2 so I needed a longer cord anyway. 
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 03, 2007, 04:47:11 PM »

Just picked it up and have played the first 10 or so songs and I am having a blast...I almost want to skip class.......but alas I must go so I have put my rock career on hold

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 03, 2007, 05:01:40 PM »

Got it at Best Buy and I am loving it.  I like the guitar much better than the PS2 one.  Possum Kingdom is awesome to play.  The Pearl Jam and Rancid song were great, too.  My only issue is my 360 sits right above the center of my TV so I have to prop the cable up along the side so it doesn't come in front of the TV.  My PS2 was below the TV so I never had a problem.  Obviously, a wireless guitar would fix this or me moving my 360.

Kratz
« Reply #154 on: April 03, 2007, 05:44:31 PM »

The reviews are pretty damn high... 96% on gamerankings...
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 03, 2007, 05:59:13 PM »

I just have to say one of the Live Achievements for his game has the greatest title ever: GUITARMAGEDDON!!!

I couldn't tell you what the details of the Achievement are, but the name alone is priceless.  icon_smile
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 03, 2007, 06:03:26 PM »

You should watch the Colbert Report more often. slywink
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 03, 2007, 08:32:23 PM »

One thing I don't like is regarding the Leaderboards.  They should be separated by difficulty levels.  I only play on Expert level and I don't want my score compared to people playing at lower levels than me.  Because of that, I find it fairly useless which is a shame because it was pretty much the main reason behind getting this version after already owning the PS2 version.

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 03, 2007, 08:51:53 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on April 03, 2007, 08:32:23 PM

One thing I don't like is regarding the Leaderboards.  They should be separated by difficulty levels.  I only play on Expert level and I don't want my score compared to people playing at lower levels than me.

Wait... what?

That's crap!

Though, I believe that the highest scores are only possible on Expert where the highest number of notes are in a given song anyway. icon_wink

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 03, 2007, 09:16:17 PM »

I was feeling pretty good about myself for awhile being at the top of my friends list scorechart on all but one song (damn you Grue!)

Then Fretmute got the game and it's all over slywink  I hate you FM!  tear
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: