It’s not uncommon for Dungeons & Dragons players to joke about Dungeon Masters whose sole purpose was to kill their characters as quickly as possible. Some DMs seem to enjoy to do nothing more than beat down the players. It sounds like Wizards is officially getting into this act though, as they have announced one of their toughest campaigns, Tomb of Annihilation.
This past weekend at the Stream of Annihilation broadcast on Twitch, Wizards of the Coast brought the D&D community together to announce Tomb of Annihilation, the new storyline for Dungeons & Dragons coming Fall 2017. Get a preview of just how deadly the adventure will be this summer on the D&D Twitch channel (www.twitch.tv/dnd). Eclectic and entertaining groups like Dice, Camera, Action; Misscliks; Maze Arcana; Girls, Guts, Glory; Yogcast’s HighRollers; and Dragon Friends, a party of Australian improv comedians, will showcase story elements from Tomb of Annihilation on weekly shows starting in July!
Tomb of Annihilation kicks off with the discovery of a curse that’s afflicting people who have been raised from the dead. Their bodies are slowly deteriorating – skin, hair, and flesh falling off their bones. Strong divinations point to the source of this curse in the jungle peninsula of Chult, a rich land filled with evil snake people, flying aarakocra and pterafolk, and the remains of a vast army of the undead. Adventurers tasked with stopping the curse must travel to settlements such as Port Nyanzaru to secure guides to lead them into the dense jungle. At the end of the journey, a horrifying villain awaits with a familiar visage. Will you survive?
Below is a list of all the Tomb of Annihilation products announced during the event. You can get more details on all of them by checking out www.twitch.tv/dnd and watching the video-on-demand interviews with the people who made them, as well as check out some of the story elements in action.
- The Tomb of Annihilation tabletop RPG adventure provides tons of information on exploring the peninsula of Chult. Available for a wide release on September 19, 2017, and in game stores on September 8!
- Perfect World Entertainment and Cryptic Studios are bringing Tomb of Annihilation to Neverwinter, the free-to-play MMO based on Dungeons & Dragons. Look for Neverwinter: Tomb of Annihilation to debut on PC July 25, and on Xbox One and PlayStation 4 soon after. Find out more at PlayNeverwinter.com.
- Tomb of Annihilation will be available on the digital tabletops Roll20 and Fantasy Grounds in September 2017.
- Fans will be able to play D&D Adventurer’s League modules created for Tomb of Annihilation at Origins Game Fair in June and at Hascon in September 8. Find out more at https://hascon.hasbro.com/.
- In September 2017, Wizards of the Coast will release a Tomb of Annihilation Dice set in a specially designed metal container embossed with the classic green devil face.
- Coming on July 26, 2017 from WizKids is a new Icons of the Realms set of miniatures for Tomb of Annihilation, including a stone juggernaut, pterafolk and an incentive pack featuring the green devil face.
- WizKids is making a brand-new Adventure System board game for Tomb of Annihilation that’s compatible with all previous Adventure System board games, available September 2017.
- WizKids will release a set for Dice Masters based on the storyline in September 2017.
- This Fall, Gale Force Nine will be releasing three new unpainted figures for D&D Collector’s Series, including a stack of three Batiri goblins and a dinosaur rider.
- A new Dungeon Masters Screen created especially by Gale Force Nine for Tomb of Annihilation will be available this September.
- Tomb of Annihilation will be the first adventure for fifth edition D&D officially translated into multiple languages by Gale Force Nine, available later this year.
You can also look for this sourcebook coming later this year from Dungeons & Dragons:Trending:
- Available everywhere November 21, 2017, Xanathar’s Guide to Everything is a tabletop RPG book expanding options for players and Dungeon Masters, including more than 20 new subclasses, dozens of spells, and more.
- A limited number of a special alternate-cover edition of Xanathar’s Guide to Everything will be available in game stores on November 10, 2017, featuring a design by illustrator Hydro74 of the beholder crimelord.
To find out more information on Dungeons & Dragons, Tomb of Annihilation and all these products, head to https://www.dungeonsanddragons.com/ and explore!
That’s a lot of content coming before the end of this year. The Fifth Edition of D&D has had a lot of impressive material since its inception, and it doesn’t seem to be stopping.
While not working as a Database Administrator, Keith Schleicher has been associated with Gaming Trend since 2003. While his love of video games started with the Telestar Alpha (a pong console with four different games), he trule started playing video games when he received the ill-fated TI-99/4A. While the Speech Synthesizer seemed to be the height of gaming, eventually a 286 AT computer running at 8/12 Hz and a CGA monitor would be his outlet for a while. Eventually he’d graduate to 386, 486, Pentium, and Athlon systems, building some of those systems while doing some hardware reviews and attending Comdex. With the release of the Dreamcast that started his conversion to the console world. Since then he has acquired an NES, SNES, PS2, PS3, PSP, GBA-SP, DS, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One S, Gamecube, Wii, Switch, and Oculus Quest 2. While not playing video games he enjoys bowling, reading, playing board games, listening to music, and watching movies and TV. He originally hails from Wisconsin but is now living in Michigan with his wife and sons.