Today, Digital Confectioners announced that it will release the social deduction action game Dread Hunger later this fall for PC. The game will allow eight players to man an Arctic exploration, with two enemy Thralls hoping to sabotage the mission by any means possible.
Digital Confectioners, an independent PC and console games studio, today announces that Dread Hunger, its multiplayer roleplaying game of survival and betrayal where players undertake a deadly voyage on a doomed sailing ship, will launch on Steam for PC this fall.
The upcoming full release follows the game’s popular Early Access phase. Capturing the attention of early media adopters and game influencers, Dread Hunger’s gameplay videos are amassing millions of views and the game is killing it with an 88% positive user review score.
Dread Hunger immerses players in a rich world of 19th century Arctic exploration where eight player-controlled ‘Explorers’ depend on each other for survival—but two of them are ‘Thralls’ determined to sabotage the mission!
Players use voice chat to role play and give life to their chosen character aboard the ship while completing objectives in an action-adventure game world. The six Explorers must work together to gather resources to power the ship towards its destination while contending with the harsh climate.
Meanwhile, Thralls plot to poison food, massacre crewmembers, detonate explosives in the ship, plunder resources, and invoke dark magic to undermine the mission—all while pretending to be loyal Explorers. Starvation, wolves, cannibal attacks, and other gruesome fates abound, any misplaced trust can quickly lead to a knife in the back. When food is sparse, fellow crewmates appear more and more appetizing.
Game Key Features
- Survive the Arctic: Build fires to stay warm, fend off wolves and other predators, and hunt for food to stay alive in the brutal and unforgiving Canadian Arctic
- Betray Your Friends: Feed them tainted food, lure animals to attack them, hex them with blood magic, or if all else fails… just shoot them in the back
- Roleplay Your Character: Add flavor and personality to your character by using integrated voice chat and your in-game actions. Play as the Captain, Navigator, Engineer, Cook, Doctor, Chaplain, Royal Marine, or Hunter, all equipped with a unique starting kit and passive ability.
- You Are What You Eat: In the Arctic, you must make grim choices to stay fed; butcher bodies and use the pieces as weapons—or food
- Captain a Ship: Steer a 19th century warship around (or into) icebergs and find coal for the ever-hungry boiler to keep the ship moving… or blow it up
- Brave a Perilous World: Plan around a full day and night cycle, contend with unexpected whiteouts, and try to outrun a massive blizzard that looms over the expedition
Check out the trailer above, and stay tuned for more news here on Gaming Trend.
Elisha Deogracias is an aspiring accountant by day, freelance writer by night. Before writing for Gaming Trend, he had a small gig on the now defunct Examiner. When not being a third wheel with his best friends on dates or yearning for some closure on Pushing Daisies, he's busy catching up on shonen manga and wacky rhythm games. Mains R.O.B. in Smash. Still doesn't know if he's a kid or a squid.