http://gamingtrend.com
October 24, 2014, 10:25:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Updated: 1 semester down, only 7 to go at the UofA College of Pharmacy...  (Read 4397 times)
PeteRock
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 25, 2012, 04:17:03 PM »

Quote from: Pyperkub on August 25, 2012, 09:31:16 AM

Mohawk?  I think I missed something after the trip home... congrats and good luck!

Had one for about two years now.  Outside of my interview prior to acceptance of course.   ninja

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 25, 2012, 08:29:00 PM »

I'm so awesome even the fabulously fashionable  steal from me for fashion   ninja
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 25, 2012, 11:24:08 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on August 25, 2012, 08:29:00 PM

I'm so awesome even the fabulously fashionable  steal from me for fashion   ninja

Steal?  More like "refine and perfect."   dude

But, in the rigid world of pharmacy and healthcare:

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 26, 2012, 06:36:42 AM »

You may not have seen my new and also refined 'do.  I even have my own stylist now  ninja
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 24, 2012, 12:19:27 PM »

It's now near the end of October.  And Thanksgiving cannot get here soon enough.  Yet another night of less than three hours of sleep in preparation for a pharmaceutics exam.  Why not start studying earlier?  Well, when you have a biochem exam, followed by an immunology exam, followed by a case studies report, followed by a med terms exam, intermixed with calculations and lab practical exams, finally leading to a pharmaceutics exam, all in succession, there is no such thing as studying ahead of time.  Sleep?  Oh how I miss thee.  One too many days of studying until midnight, sleeping until 3am, and then waking up to hit the books again.  Shows like Scrubs that dramatize the amount of work and limited sleep health care students face aren't too far off.  You have to want to be a health care professional to get through these conditions.  And sometimes it feels like a younger man's game.

My closest friends have been coffee and beer.  Coffee during weeks of unmanageable exams followed by weekends of drinking to restore some semblance of sanity.  Lather, rinse, repeat.  The most interesting development is I have been rushing a professional pharmacy fraternity, Kappa Psi.  I never did the fraternity thing in undergrad, so this is been a fun and welcoming experience.  Because only pharmacy students can be brothers, all understand the rigors of pharmacy education, and while there's limited time for fun, when there is time a LOT of fun is had.  Brothers have also been amazing in providing study sessions, guidance, tips, and even general support when times get tough, so I'd be far worse off having not discovered the many benefits of pharmacy fraternity brotherhood.

Overall I'd say pharmacy school is enlightening, exciting, rigorous, but also unforgiving, humbling, and exhausting.  I used to think I was pretty damn smart, but in a room full of 99 of the top pharmacy students?  Let's say it has been humbling more than anything, at least academically.  However, my focus has been more on leadership than just academics as I feel it will benefit me more professionally.  I'm already serving as class president for the class of 2016, and I'm considering running for president elect for either APhA or Kappa Psi.  I may hold off on adding another leadership position until next year, but participating in leadership roles should also hopefully qualify me for Phi Lambda Sigma, the national pharmacy leadership society.  Rho Chi, the pharmacy honors fraternity, has become a distance memory, but PLS is a very real and worthy possibility.

Back to pharmaceutics.  Oh how I despise pharmaceutics.  Not necessarily the material, but the manner in which it is tested.  I wish that someday an instructor will ask a straight question to test our knowledge.  But we're instead asked questions we've never seen before, in a manner meant to challenge and confuse, to qualify just how well we know the material.  Imagine working through 15 practice exams from the last 10 years, only to arrive at your current exam to find that you might as well have been practicing for a basketball game all week and when you arrive at the stadium you learn you're about to play a game of cricket.   saywhat  Ultimately this will obviously benefit the patient, but right now it's like being kicked in the word-hole over and over again without any time to breathe. 

I mainly just needed to get a bit of that out.  Being away from my wife, dogs, close friends, home, and general support system back in Phoenix has only made this experience even more challenging.  You don't realize just how important close people are (especially your spouse or even two loving dogs to greet you after a particularly taxing day), until they're gone (even if only temporarily).  On top of that my wife leaves for South Korea, Vietnam, and Thailand for the next month in about five hours, arriving back in the states the day before Thanksgiving, so I won't be able to see or even speak with her until I return home for the holiday, and I am unable to see her off due to having a pharmaceutics exam in three hours. 

You ever feel like you're facing an insurmountable challenge all by yourself, even if you might not be entirely alone?  Yeah, I think it's time for another cup of coffee.  And after finishing my two-hour pharmaceutics exam I can start thinking about my creatinine clearance quiz in calculations. 

Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 24, 2012, 04:33:33 PM »

Best of luck, Pete.  If anyone can whip those classes into shape, it's you.  I'd be wibbling in a corner if I had to go through what you're describing.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

Quote from: McBa1n
http://www.vuvuzela.fm BVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 24, 2012, 04:37:29 PM »

Quote from: Isgrimnur on October 24, 2012, 04:33:33 PM

Best of luck, Pete.  If anyone can whip those classes into shape, it's you.  I'd be wibbling in a corner if I had to go through what you're describing.

Seriously.  I can't even imagine going through that at this point in my life.  Kudos to you man, that's some crazy dedication that I'm sure will be worth it in the end.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 24, 2012, 05:07:20 PM »

Sorry to hear, Pete.  I guess when I was in Pharmacy school, I was pretty lucky in that I really never had to study much.  I made good grades, regardless, and it came with just reviewing my class notes one time and hitting the test.  People always hated me for that.

Pharmacy school was pretty fun.  I'd probably be a pharmacist today if it wasn't for the fact that I was pretty burned out on the college experience by the time I decided I wanted to get into pharmacy school.  It wasn't the curriculum, but just college itself.  I wanted to be a "real grownup" and decided to start a career to do that.  Hang in there.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 24, 2012, 05:35:37 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on October 24, 2012, 05:07:20 PM

Sorry to hear, Pete.  I guess when I was in Pharmacy school, I was pretty lucky in that I really never had to study much.  I made good grades, regardless, and it came with just reviewing my class notes one time and hitting the test.  People always hated me for that.

Are you talking prerequisites to get in to pharmacy school, or the actual curriculum?  Because I was like you with my prereqs, but in pharmacy school? Today's exam went so badly I feel physically nauseous.  I've reviewed pharmaceutics for four straight days, spending 10 straight hours studying yesterday alone, plus another four this morning, and I left at least 20 to 30 points completely blank, or if I did manage to get something down it amounted to a series of calculations all leading to fuck-all.  Not a single question resembled the 10+ practice exams we were assigned for preparation.  I'm am too dumbfounded to even offer an explanation.

Best of luck, Pete.  If anyone can whip those classes into shape, it's you.  I'd be wibbling in a corner if I had to go through what you're describing.

The only thing keeping me from doing just that right now is my anger and frustration are overshadowing my complete emotional breakdown.  I've sequestered myself into a quiet study room because if one person asks how I did on the exam I'm likely to either punch them in the word hole or completely break down into an emotional wreck.  I'm not sure which yet, but it's safer not to find out.  And I have a quiz on creatinine clearance in 20 minutes, so I have to compose myself, review the material, try to forget about pharmaceutics for a moment, and take another test.

Pharmacy school was pretty fun.  I'd probably be a pharmacist today if it wasn't for the fact that I was pretty burned out on the college experience by the time I decided I wanted to get into pharmacy school.  It wasn't the curriculum, but just college itself.  I wanted to be a "real grownup" and decided to start a career to do that.  Hang in there.

I guess I'm confused.  If you were in pharm school and didn't have to study much, I'm either handicapped or in a program designed to kill rather than advance.  

I have 8 classes which consist of things like pharmaceutics, metabolic basis of pharmacotherapy, immunology/hematology, pharmaceutical calculations, etc (not a single "cakewalk" class), multiple exams almost every week, case study research, student council, the class presidency, and I'll be lucky to earn a couple of A's, a handful of B's, and I may even earn the first C's I've seen since the late 90's.  Hell, after today's exam I'm wondering if I'll even make the C-cut in pharmaceutics.  And in pharm school D's = F's, i.e. they don't count.  And that's with putting in A-level effort and still only managing mediocre grades.  It's disheartening, frustrating, and emotionally taxing on a level I can't describe.  Especially coming into pharm school with one of only a handful of 4.0 cumulative averages.

If one more person asks me how I like pharmacy school I'm going to lose my shit.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 05:38:18 PM by PeteRock » Logged

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 24, 2012, 08:46:19 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on October 24, 2012, 05:35:37 PM

If one more person asks me how I like pharmacy school I'm going to lose my shit.

So Pete, how do you like...

...the Eagles this year?   icon_razz

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 12, 2012, 02:27:47 PM »

Seven final exams down and my last cumulative final is in about 5 1/2 hours in Immunology/Hematology before officially beginning my winter break.  And then?

An all-you-can-eat sushi extravaganza with 50 of my pharmacy classmates, then binge drinking and karaoke with 100 more.  And then I'm getting the hell out of Tucson for a month.  

It has been four months and one semester completed already?   icon_eek

Only seven more semesters to go.   SCIENCE!

And then hopefully a clinical residency depending on if I qualify.   We put the fun in funeral
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 02:32:24 PM by PeteRock » Logged

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 12, 2012, 03:38:23 PM »

All A's I assume? We're not paying for you to party, after all.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 12, 2012, 10:17:07 PM »

DONE!  I don't think this gif has ever been more appropriate:

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 13, 2012, 05:20:25 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on October 24, 2012, 05:35:37 PM

Quote from: The Grue on October 24, 2012, 05:07:20 PM

Sorry to hear, Pete.  I guess when I was in Pharmacy school, I was pretty lucky in that I really never had to study much.  I made good grades, regardless, and it came with just reviewing my class notes one time and hitting the test.  People always hated me for that.

Are you talking prerequisites to get in to pharmacy school, or the actual curriculum?  Because I was like you with my prereqs, but in pharmacy school? Today's exam went so badly I feel physically nauseous.  I've reviewed pharmaceutics for four straight days, spending 10 straight hours studying yesterday alone, plus another four this morning, and I left at least 20 to 30 points completely blank, or if I did manage to get something down it amounted to a series of calculations all leading to fuck-all.  Not a single question resembled the 10+ practice exams we were assigned for preparation.  I'm am too dumbfounded to even offer an explanation.

The only thing keeping me from doing just that right now is my anger and frustration are overshadowing my complete emotional breakdown.  I've sequestered myself into a quiet study room because if one person asks how I did on the exam I'm likely to either punch them in the word hole or completely break down into an emotional wreck.  I'm not sure which yet, but it's safer not to find out.  And I have a quiz on creatinine clearance in 20 minutes, so I have to compose myself, review the material, try to forget about pharmaceutics for a moment, and take another test.

Pharmacy school was pretty fun.  I'd probably be a pharmacist today if it wasn't for the fact that I was pretty burned out on the college experience by the time I decided I wanted to get into pharmacy school.  It wasn't the curriculum, but just college itself.  I wanted to be a "real grownup" and decided to start a career to do that.  Hang in there.

I guess I'm confused.  If you were in pharm school and didn't have to study much, I'm either handicapped or in a program designed to kill rather than advance. 

I have 8 classes which consist of things like pharmaceutics, metabolic basis of pharmacotherapy, immunology/hematology, pharmaceutical calculations, etc (not a single "cakewalk" class), multiple exams almost every week, case study research, student council, the class presidency, and I'll be lucky to earn a couple of A's, a handful of B's, and I may even earn the first C's I've seen since the late 90's.  Hell, after today's exam I'm wondering if I'll even make the C-cut in pharmaceutics.  And in pharm school D's = F's, i.e. they don't count.  And that's with putting in A-level effort and still only managing mediocre grades.  It's disheartening, frustrating, and emotionally taxing on a level I can't describe.  Especially coming into pharm school with one of only a handful of 4.0 cumulative averages.

I was *in* Pharmacy school. I told you people hated me for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 13, 2012, 05:24:23 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on December 12, 2012, 10:17:07 PM

DONE!  I don't think this gif has ever been more appropriate:

This might be my favorite GIF of all time.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: