http://gamingtrend.com
August 30, 2014, 12:30:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC] The Secret World MMORPG : No Longer Pumped, Just Playing it.  (Read 21729 times)
Thry
Gaming Trend Reader

Shop smart, shop s-mart

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 18, 2012, 07:49:58 PM »

Watched a couple videos from the past beta weekend and man the combat doesn't look good at all. 
Wargus
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 19, 2012, 03:13:27 AM »

Combat is pretty rough, the game just feels clunky.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 19, 2012, 06:03:48 AM »

Quote from: Wargus on June 19, 2012, 03:13:27 AM

Combat is pretty rough, the game just feels clunky.

Did you try the latest beta weekend then? Because its nowhere near the same as the first beta weekend combat. Its not Dragons Dogma combat, but its way better than WoW due to its positional systems.

A new one
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 20, 2012, 02:01:56 AM »

The game is improving, and I really like the theme and story, however even with the improvements the combat feels clunky to me - I think it may have something to do with how skills are timed when a key-press is made, I'm not sure.    The game isn't as fluid feeling as AOC, which I think is unfortunate.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 20, 2012, 02:08:17 AM »

It's the 'damage and effects happen on button press, then animation happens' problem and it's killed better games. 
Thry
Gaming Trend Reader

Shop smart, shop s-mart

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 20, 2012, 11:08:04 PM »

Apparently this coming weekends beta event is open to everyone.  All you have to do is sign up for beta or own a funcom game and they'll send you a key.

I made sure I still have my AoC login and confirmed it works.  If they don't send me an email then I guess it wasn't mean to be.
Barrakketh
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 21, 2012, 01:50:56 AM »

Quote from: Thry on June 20, 2012, 11:08:04 PM

Apparently this coming weekends beta event is open to everyone.  All you have to do is sign up for beta or own a funcom game and they'll send you a key.

I made sure I still have my AoC login and confirmed it works.  If they don't send me an email then I guess it wasn't mean to be.

As someone who has pre-ordered, I've been invited to all the beta weekends. For this last one coming up, they also emailed me a buddy key. So, if you don't get one elsewhere, let me know and I'll send you the key.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 21, 2012, 02:23:04 AM »

I just noticed what looks like 2 keys in my email.
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 23, 2012, 01:40:37 AM »

Just cancelled my two preorders I really hope the game does well, but at this point an mmo is going to have really surprise me for me to buy it.
Thry
Gaming Trend Reader

Shop smart, shop s-mart

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 23, 2012, 08:32:01 PM »

Someone mentioned on another forum and I completely agree - primary attack should be left mouse button. 
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: June 23, 2012, 09:04:18 PM »

there is no primary attack though, it's not the way the skills are setup.
Thry
Gaming Trend Reader

Shop smart, shop s-mart

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 24, 2012, 10:33:17 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on June 23, 2012, 09:04:18 PM

there is no primary attack though, it's not the way the skills are setup.

Does your build revolve around an attack that you use repeatedly?

I used auto hotkey today to pass the "1" button through on left click.  I have no idea if that would work when the combat gets more in depth but it sure made early game better.  The only minor problem was the occasional target not in range error when performing non combat left click actions. 
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 24, 2012, 01:33:53 PM »

I have a couple (sometimes 3) builders I rotate through due to different effects.  So no, I don't really have a single attack that would make sense on a 'primary attack' button.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 24, 2012, 05:58:58 PM »

They have been making improvements to the customization. For instance, they just added the ability to bind mouse-4 and mouse-5 in the last couple of weeks, because beta testers asked for it. They are also working on implementing a Mouselook toggle at some point (which makes a huge difference to the feel of combat). So, I would do the best you can with what they've got, but I hope to continue to see changes.

And if anyone wants the ahk script for the Mouselook toggle, let me know.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 24, 2012, 06:17:10 PM »

I just hold right mouse in combat, been doing that for 11 years in mmos  ninja

You stupid lifetime sub buyer you.   icon_twisted  It'll never be worth it!   ninja2
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 25, 2012, 12:38:01 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on June 24, 2012, 06:17:10 PM

I just hold right mouse in combat, been doing that for 11 years in mmos  ninja

You stupid lifetime sub buyer you.   icon_twisted  It'll never be worth it!   ninja2

Lol, yes, you can hold the RMB, but 1) I've gotten really used to Mouselook being on during combat in TERA, and 2) I have issues with my right wrist, so anything I can do to reduce the stress on it, like avoiding holding down buttons, is a plus. I actually don't use LMB or RMB for most games right now.

Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 25, 2012, 02:39:25 AM »

Well, I tried the game out during the beta this weekend.  Although I liked the story and the general plot, the implementation left me a bit cold.  The whole world feels very clunky--not to mention the game does not like AMD graphics cards (I had to employ all sorts of work-arounds just to play).  Anyway, I'll probably be passing for now, but if they improve the feel of the combat and animations I could try it out at a later date.  I really felt like the world implementation was more like something I'd expect out of game from 2006.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 25, 2012, 02:41:17 AM »

fwiw the combat was much, much more fluid last week (in the CB).  Two days before the OB another build hit that completely shredded animations visually.  Pretty bad timing on their part.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 25, 2012, 05:52:09 AM »

Quote from: Fez on June 25, 2012, 02:39:25 AM

Well, I tried the game out during the beta this weekend.  Although I liked the story and the general plot, the implementation left me a bit cold.  The whole world feels very clunky--not to mention the game does not like AMD graphics cards (I had to employ all sorts of work-arounds just to play).  Anyway, I'll probably be passing for now, but if they improve the feel of the combat and animations I could try it out at a later date.  I really felt like the world implementation was more like something I'd expect out of game from 2006.

I use an AMD card and had no issues, for what its worth.

A new one
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 25, 2012, 06:02:56 AM »

6970 here, and never had problems getting it to run.

Quote from: Razgon on June 25, 2012, 05:52:09 AM

Quote from: Fez on June 25, 2012, 02:39:25 AM

I use an AMD card and had no issues, for what its worth.

Thry
Gaming Trend Reader

Shop smart, shop s-mart

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 25, 2012, 08:15:18 AM »

Like others have said - really like the setting, atmosphere, and questing but man that combat is just meh.  No idea why funcom decided to take a step backwards from AoC's system. 
Fez
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 25, 2012, 08:25:08 PM »

Well, I have an Alienware laptop with Radeon Mobile 5870 chips in Crossfire.  I fell prey to the "hang" on the authentication step, and I had to disable all shadows to get it to hook up.  They figured out the work-around (disabling the shadows) and posted it on the login page.  Later, when in game, I tried activating shadows and it was a mess.

Part of it may be my fault because I am a driver behind, but the drivers that originally came with the machine have worked so well I've been reluctant to update them.  I've noticed in one other game -- SWTOR -- that the shadows can sometimes appear a bit odd.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 25, 2012, 09:36:21 PM »

Crossfire is the two graphics cards linked right? I seem to remember reading somewhere that it often causes issues - or am I way off here?

Anyways - annoying to have those kind of "simple" problems instead of just enjoying the game :-)

A new one
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 25, 2012, 11:03:45 PM »

I was really looking forward to this one too but the combat totally turned me off...it felt stiff and unresponsive and the animations were bare basic.  I guess I was expecting the combat in Conan which was very quick and fluid with great animations.  I love the idea and the world but the open beta really decided against me pre-ordering.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 26, 2012, 01:51:28 AM »

Quote from: Fez on June 25, 2012, 08:25:08 PM

Well, I have an Alienware laptop with Radeon Mobile 5870 chips in Crossfire.  I fell prey to the "hang" on the authentication step, and I had to disable all shadows to get it to hook up.  They figured out the work-around (disabling the shadows) and posted it on the login page.  Later, when in game, I tried activating shadows and it was a mess.

Part of it may be my fault because I am a driver behind, but the drivers that originally came with the machine have worked so well I've been reluctant to update them.  I've noticed in one other game -- SWTOR -- that the shadows can sometimes appear a bit odd.

I think you can play in windowed mode to easily force it to only use one card to avoid issues like that.  Sadly ever since SLI was first introduced eons ago it has caused more issues than solutions.  It's an awesome idea, but until it's the standard I don't see it working well.  Doesn't help that Nvidia SLI and ATI Crossfire are completely different too.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: June 26, 2012, 01:53:34 AM »

As I mentioned above combat was pretty fluid when I first started playing.  I'm sure it will at least get back to that point.  I doubt it will ever reach the awesomeness that was AoC Melee though.  Sadly AoC always let me down with the magic stuff though.  It had this awesome melee system which you had to aim, then had lazy tab targetting for casters.  Made melee vs caster kinda silly in pvp.  (Tera got this right.  When casters have to aim, it balances fairly naturally)
Thry
Gaming Trend Reader

Shop smart, shop s-mart

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 26, 2012, 03:41:50 AM »

I was really looking forward to the investigation quests only to find them disabled this weekend.  Not sure if that was a great move on their part as the quests seem to be TSW's strong point. 

I'm really on the fence on if I should give this game a shot or not.  The allure of a new MMO is too strong and I am weak...
Wargus

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 26, 2012, 04:06:50 AM »

Quote from: Thry on June 26, 2012, 03:41:50 AM

I was really looking forward to the investigation quests only to find them disabled this weekend.  Not sure if that was a great move on their part as the quests seem to be TSW's strong point. 

I'm really on the fence on if I should give this game a shot or not.  The allure of a new MMO is too strong and I am weak...

I don't think its worth buying.  The game has some issues and I don't think even hits the quality of the games out right now (Rift, Star Wars, etc... - even with their issues). 
Thry
Gaming Trend Reader

Shop smart, shop s-mart

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 26, 2012, 04:17:10 AM »

Quote from: Wargus on June 26, 2012, 04:06:50 AM

I don't think its worth buying.  The game has some issues and I don't think even hits the quality of the games out right now (Rift, Star Wars, etc... - even with their issues). 

Well that's subjective.  I would consider WoW the most well polished MMO in the universe but I have zero interest in playing its loot driven system or one of its hundred other clones.

TSW, despite its flaws, is original and I'm inclined to support that. 
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 26, 2012, 05:09:03 AM »

This is probably my first MMO where I don't skip all the cutscenes and quest dialog. The quests and atmosphere are the strong points. Figuring out the investigation quests are hard but rewarding if you don't cheat  slywink

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 26, 2012, 07:43:11 AM »

Their focus was on Pvp for the last beta weekend I think, and they didn't want a bunch of spoilers getting out before launch about the investigation quests.

Thry
Gaming Trend Reader

Shop smart, shop s-mart

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 26, 2012, 11:00:38 AM »

Quote from: Misguided on June 26, 2012, 07:43:11 AM

Their focus was on Pvp for the last beta weekend I think, and they didn't want a bunch of spoilers getting out before launch about the investigation quests.

I'm aware of that but they had to realize it was many players first look at the game since they basically opened up the beta to everyone.  If Funcom was that worried about spoilers shouldn't they of had the investigation missions disabled in the previous weekends as well?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #232 on: June 27, 2012, 09:21:30 PM »

Quote from: Thry on June 26, 2012, 11:00:38 AM

I'm aware of that but they had to realize it was many players first look at the game since they basically opened up the beta to everyone.  If Funcom was that worried about spoilers shouldn't they of had the investigation missions disabled in the previous weekends as well?

AFAIK, something like 90% of the Investigation missions have been disabled the entire beta, including those who have had closed beta access.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 27, 2012, 09:31:44 PM »

not true  ninja
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 29, 2012, 04:28:29 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on June 27, 2012, 09:21:30 PM

Quote from: Thry on June 26, 2012, 11:00:38 AM

AFAIK, something like 90% of the Investigation missions have been disabled the entire beta, including those who have had closed beta access.

No idea on the numbers, but I had heard that some were not in.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 29, 2012, 05:04:02 PM »

I still can't quite wrap my tiny brain around the "no levels" concept. Is there still some sort of sense of progression?

I'm the one always with the crowds lamenting lack of innovation in the mmorpg space, and yet when people actually try to do it, sometimes I just can't quite comprehend it.  icon_redface

I'm drug-free, so using those to "open my mind" to The Secret World's innovations is not an option, btw.  smoke smirk
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 05:05:33 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 29, 2012, 09:12:05 PM »

Its not really level free - You still gain experience points. You just get to decide how to progress through the skill wheel and abilities instead yourself, instead of a set path decided by a class.

Also, skill levels (You progress through 7 levels of each skill as far as I remember) is a part of determining whether an area is too tough for you or not.

That said, the system is a lot more flexible. A lot of your progress is sideways so to speak, allowing for a game with more costumization in how you approach a fight, than just by brute level force.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 09:14:00 PM by Razgon » Logged

A new one
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 29, 2012, 09:21:36 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on June 29, 2012, 05:04:02 PM

I still can't quite wrap my tiny brain around the "no levels" concept. Is there still some sort of sense of progression?

I'm the one always with the crowds lamenting lack of innovation in the mmorpg space, and yet when people actually try to do it, sometimes I just can't quite comprehend it.  icon_redface

I'm drug-free, so using those to "open my mind" to The Secret World's innovations is not an option, btw.  smoke smirk

disgust

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 30, 2012, 03:52:20 PM »

Yes, there's a sense of progression. One of the things that changed during development was that they tied the ability to wear equipment to skill point usage. This keeps a newbie character from equipping super-gear. So you have some vertical progression as you can equip better and better gear, like you would in a regular MMO. As Razgon said, the remainder of your progress is sideways, developing the ability to handle different situations, etc.

RobbieD
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 30, 2012, 04:46:49 PM »

I rolled a Dragon on the Grim dimension last night. His name is Framer if anyone would like to team up.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: