http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 08:00:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 3D Dot Game Heroes, a new PS3 RPG  (Read 2633 times)
Dante Rising
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2010, 12:22:21 AM »

I'm finding the game to be a bit of a one-trick-pony. Nothing is done exceptionally well, and everything seems somewhat...bland. If it wasn't for the wonderful art style, I think most people would move past this game fairly quickly.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2010, 12:39:27 AM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on May 15, 2010, 12:22:21 AM

I'm finding the game to be a bit of a one-trick-pony. Nothing is done exceptionally well, and everything seems somewhat...bland. If it wasn't for the wonderful art style, I think most people would move past this game fairly quickly.

how far along are you? i suppose i'd agree with 'nothing done exceptionally well', but i think everything's done very competently (graphics & music in particular), which is all i was expecting, & basically all the game tries to be - a slightly quirky, old-school zelda-ish dungeon hack. i guess maybe what's charming/nostalgic for some is just bland for others? smile ...

that said, i just reached the 5th dungeon boss, & the game definitely took a turn for the nastier getting there:

Spoiler for Hiden:
basically, the whole dungeon is a kinda complicated 'running switch puzzle', involving quite a bit of navigating & doubling back. i call it 'running' because you either have to complete it all in one go or it resets - iow, get killed (as i did a few times), or run out of magic (there's an enemy that can reduce you to half a hit point / no magic with one whack!), or fuck up in any other way before you clear it, & you're stuck doing it all over again...

i've completed all zelda's since link to the past, & i'm pretty sure there's never been a switch set-up quite as unforgiving as this one (maybe in the earlier games?). anyway, once i realized what was going on, & checked the faq to confirm it, i was sorta disappointed that they went this route - granted, my skills aren't the greatest, but even breaking it up into a couple sections would've made it a helluva lot more doable - as is, it's just kinda fucked up, &, unfortunately, sucked a lot of the fun out of the game for me...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2010, 12:54:55 AM »

Quote from: semiconscious on May 15, 2010, 12:39:27 AM

how far along are you? i suppose i'd agree with 'nothing done exceptionally well', but i think everything's done very competently (graphics & music in particular), which is all i was expecting, & basically all the game tries to be - a slightly quirky, old-school zelda-ish dungeon hack. i guess maybe what's charming/nostalgic for some is just bland for others? smile ...

that said, i just reached the 5th dungeon boss, & the game definitely took a turn for the nastier getting there:

Spoiler for Hiden:
basically, the whole dungeon is a kinda complicated 'running switch puzzle', involving quite a bit of navigating & doubling back. i call it 'running' because you either have to complete it all in one go or it resets - iow, get killed (as i did a few times), or run out of magic (there's an enemy that can reduce you to half a hit point / no magic with one whack!), or fuck up in any other way before you clear it, & you're stuck doing it all over again...

i've completed all zelda's since link to the past, & i'm pretty sure there's never been a switch set-up quite as unforgiving as this one (maybe in the earlier games?). anyway, once i realized what was going on, & checked the faq to confirm it, i was sorta disappointed that they went this route - granted, my skills aren't the greatest, but even breaking it up into a couple sections would've made it a helluva lot more doable - as is, it's just kinda fucked up, &, unfortunately, sucked a lot of the fun out of the game for me...

End of the 1st dungeon. I'm just not feeling this one yet. It IS quirky, but I have yet to see any quests, NPCs or dialogue really shine through.
vizionblind

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2010, 12:57:26 AM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on May 15, 2010, 12:54:55 AM

Quote from: semiconscious on May 15, 2010, 12:39:27 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:

End of the 1st dungeon. I'm just not feeling this one yet. It IS quirky, but I have yet to see any quests, NPCs or dialogue really shine through.
you won't with this game...
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2010, 02:00:13 AM »

Remember back with Legend of Zelda where there wasn't much dialog and basically one main quest, with no side quests?  Also, no real memorable NPCs?  This is just like that and on purpose.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2010, 03:59:17 AM »

While the graphics are amazing, it really is how well the game scratches that nostalgia itch.  If you don't have that, I can see it not working for you.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2010, 07:02:09 AM »

There are sidequests, but they are easy to miss unless you talk to villagers several times.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2010, 08:56:43 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on May 15, 2010, 02:00:13 AM

Remember back with Legend of Zelda where there wasn't much dialog and basically one main quest, with no side quests?  Also, no real memorable NPCs?  This is just like that and on purpose.

Never really played any of the Zelda games, so that may be part of the problem. I think I put about 1 hour into Wind Waker, and got distracted by something else. It is definitely not a bad game, but I was hoping for something meatier. I'll keep plugging away at it. Even if I burn out, I'm happy to support niche titles like this.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2010, 01:16:50 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on May 15, 2010, 08:56:43 AM

Quote from: The Grue on May 15, 2010, 02:00:13 AM

Remember back with Legend of Zelda where there wasn't much dialog and basically one main quest, with no side quests?  Also, no real memorable NPCs?  This is just like that and on purpose.

Never really played any of the Zelda games, so that may be part of the problem. I think I put about 1 hour into Wind Waker, and got distracted by something else. It is definitely not a bad game, but I was hoping for something meatier. I'll keep plugging away at it. Even if I burn out, I'm happy to support niche titles like this.

Have you played the Dragon Quest games?  From what I've read there is a lot of influence from there as well. 
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2010, 02:50:50 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on May 15, 2010, 08:56:43 AM

?! - someone get this guy a copy of majora's mask! smile ...

yeah, as grue says, the retro minimalism in the game's all intentional, & the experience's really only as deep as most any game from the period being revisited - it's a tribute to an early approach to, & vision of, gaming that eventually evolved to where we are now, & it's much more an attempt to simply recapture it (which i think it does extremely well), rather than build on it...

so, basically: old game / new coat of paint...

edit: the good news - i've cleared 6 dungeons, rescued the princess (courtesy of the faq, which, from the 3rd dungeon on, i consulted for non-dungeon related extras, & there're quite a few), & only have a few side quests left to do before heading for the final dungeon/boss. the bad news - i think i may've had enough, & will likely pass on the dungeon. even tho i've had a great time (for the most part) with this, the prospect of taking on all the bosses again, never mind what else, is more than i'm ready for right now smile . it's a great little game, marred only by trying to be a little too clever/challenging at times, & it gave me quite a few laughs, which made playing it well worth it...
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 12:06:26 AM by semiconscious » Logged

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2010, 08:03:13 PM »

I'm tempted to get this game after my $20 gift certificate from the Amazon Red Dead Redemption, arrives. Any guess on how long the game is?

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2010, 03:30:51 AM »

Quote from: Crusis on May 19, 2010, 08:03:13 PM

I'm tempted to get this game after my $20 gift certificate from the Amazon Red Dead Redemption, arrives. Any guess on how long the game is?

Not very long. I love it, but it's definitely a rental.
Crusis

Horror hack extraordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2010, 03:33:58 AM »

I guess I'll buy Nier instead. hehe

I get paid to write books. It's a thing. http://timothywlong.com
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2010, 03:37:46 AM »

Quote from: Crusis on May 20, 2010, 03:33:58 AM

I guess I'll buy Nier instead. hehe

Alpha Protocol isn't that far away.  Turtle seems to love it.  Might be a nice fit after giving the largely neglected Western genre a spin.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2010, 05:17:31 AM »

Atlus has released a patch for the game.  It fixes a few small problems, makes the Circuit Dash races easier, and adds Sackboy plus 50 user-designed characters to play as.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2010, 05:44:30 AM »

I tried the first dash race and decided never again.  Ugh.  They'd have to really fix it.

I'm close to done anyway.  Hopefully this patch won't make me start over or something ridiculous.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2010, 06:44:04 AM »

picked this up during Amazon's black friday sales, and enjoying it so far.  I just completed the first demo, and was wondering why do some creatures have crowns over their heads?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2010, 07:46:15 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 01, 2010, 06:44:04 AM

picked this up during Amazon's black friday sales, and enjoying it so far.  I just completed the first demo, and was wondering why do some creatures have crowns over their heads?

They're tougher versions of regular enemies.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2010, 08:02:51 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on December 01, 2010, 07:46:15 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on December 01, 2010, 06:44:04 AM

They're tougher versions of regular enemies.

ah, didn't notice that they needed more damage, but then again I was just spamming X.  thanks!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: