Call Of Duty is a humongous game, and because of that following it has a tremendous esports following. While it’s always been a draw, COVID-19 certainly put a damper on the inaugural season of the CDL, but last weekends opening of the sophomore season started with a bang. Call Of Duty League put together its best weekend ever, fueled by one of the most hyped up matches of the season’s beginnings in Atlanta Faze versus Chicago Optic. I personally had my aBeZy jersey on rooting for my Faze bois to take the win, but I’m definitely cheering for the success the league has shown in its great beginning to the 2021 season. Some of the stats are as follows-
- Peak viewership: 131kduring the Optic Chicago vs Atlanta FaZe match, setting a new record in peak viewership for the regular season
- Primetime AMA: 118k AMA for the same match, making it the most-watched regular season match
- Event AMA: 80k AMA for the entire weekend, and now our most-watched CDL event outside of 2020 Champs
- Live AMA + Hours Watched for the Weekend: Both up just under 50 percent YoY from the Opening Weekend of 2020
- Reach: 1.3M unique viewers tuned in to watch the live broadcast, a 70 percent YoY increase compared to Opening Weekend 2020
- Engagement: ~209K accounts linked by end of Opening Weekend
The best part about all of this is that the season literally just started. With League Play being introduced into Call Of Duty: Black Ops Cold War and new league packs being added as well to represent your favorite team, there’s a good chance this initial achievement isn’t the last victory we see for the Call Of Duty League. You can follow the league both live and after hours on the official Call Of Duty League YouTube channel right here. If you want to jump into the game, check out CallOfDuty.com, and if you want to know more about it first, check out our review right here.
David Burdette is a gamer/writer/content creator from TN and Lead Editor for Gaming Trend. He loves Playstation, Star Wars, Marvel, and many other fandoms. He also plays way too much Call Of Duty. You can chat with him on Twitter @SplitEnd89.