Another year, another Thanksgiving, where Americans all over the nation celebrate the holiday with pigskins, bird skins, and all their kin. As we take a moment to spend time with our loved ones, a few Gaming Trend editors reflect on what they’re thankful for this year.
Elisha Deogracias, Music game fan and resident Sonic enthusiast
- I’m thankful that independent games were super amazing this year (Firewatch, Pony Island, The Metronomicon, The Witness).
- I’m thankful that The Great Lakes Avengers got their first ever ongoing series this year too. Plus, it’s based in Detroit, and we need more of that city in comics!
- I’m thankful that Sonic the Hedgehog is doing a great job improving his brand. Also the Sonic memes. All the memes.
- I’m super thankful that over the past four months, I’ve been working with some of the most crazy fun people in games journalism; you guys are the best!
- I’m thankful that Bee Movie made an ironic comeback this year. According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way that a bee should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground. The bee, of course, flies anyways. Because bees don’t care what humans think is impossible.
Christian DeCoster, Protector of many and probably still in the Nonary Game
- I’m thankful that Titanfall 2’s campaign was much, much better than anyone expected. In a year where a lot of games failed to deliver, the creative level design and great dialogue were a welcome surprise.
- I’m thankful that Captain America: Civil War managed to work out as one of Marvel’s best movies yet, and introduced two of my favorite Marvel characters (Spider-Man and Black Panther) to the MCU.
- I’m thankful that, for better or for worse, the Zero Escape series has reached a conclusion, so I can finally let it go and find another weird sci-fi series to obsess over.
- Southern Bastards is back with a great new story arc, and it looks like Coach Boss is finally gonna get what he deserves.
- Lastly, I’m thankful to everyone at Gaming Trend, you guys have been a blast to work with the last few months.
Mike Pearce, Veteran and co-host of one of the best podcasts out there
- I’m thankful for the awesomeness that is Battlefield 1.
- I’m thankful for my colleagues, Eric van Allen and Kenneth Shepard, for helping Joe and I with the podcast.
- Battlefield 1.
- I’m thankful for Total War: Warhammer being the game I always imagined it could be, and more, since I started playing the tabletop version as a wee lad.
- Battlefield 1.
- I’m thankful for Agent 47 being back in true and proper form.
- Battlefield 1.
- I’m thankful for Gearbox partnering up with Blackbird Interactive to turn Hardware: Shipbreakers into Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak, the prequel to the Homeworld series that it was meant to be.
- Did I mention that I’m thankful for Battlefield 1?
John Farrell, Law student and board game guru
- Thankful that despite all the virulence we are beginning to have real debates about issues affecting games media.
- That Chan-Wook Park, Guillermo Del Toro, and Hideo Kojima are still alive and kicking, even if they aren’t working together.
- For the promise of a great future that From Software will deliver.
- That independent creators are delivering more and greater products to a diverse market of interests.
- That dark times have emboldened the right people to action, not shocked them into despair.
- For each and every one of my colleagues at Gaming Trend, without whom the world would be deficient in intellect, weirdness, and sordid humor about world affairs.
Ron Burke, Gaming Trend owner and recipient of the “Best GT boss ever” award; 2015
- It’s cliché, but I’m most thankful for this incredible community I’ve been lucky enough to be a part of for the last 15 years.
- I’m thankful for Bioware and their continued success. More Mass Effect please!
- PSVR turned out so much better than I could have hoped. Games like Thumper, Batman: Arkham VR, Eagle Flight, and Until Dawn: Rush of Blood are incredible experiences. It makes me excited for games like Star Trek: Bridge Crew, Ace Combat 7, Farpoint, and Fated: The Silent Oath.
- I adopted two precious little puppies that warm my heart every day. Their big brother is so happy with having them in the house. They love each other very much.
- Celebrated 20 years of marriage this year. I’m very lucky to be with the love of my life.
- For as many things as we complain about, there hasn’t been a better time to be a gamer. 2017 looks absolutely phenomenal. South Park: Fractured But Whole, Vampyr, Crackdown 3, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of Wind, Prey, Agents of Mayhem, Sea of Thieves, Mass Effect Andromeda, God of War, For Honor, Horizon Zero Dawn, Injustice 2, Scalebound, Halo Wars 2, Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Wildlands, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, Spider-Man (from Insomniac Games!), Red Dead Redemption 2, Destiny 2, Cuphead, Assassin’s Creed Empire — simply amazing.
- 2016 is almost over. This year has taken far too much and given far too little.
Has there been anything in the gaming world that you’ve been thankful for this year? Sound off in the comments below, and Happy Thanksgiving to our American readers!