After both New Danganronpa V3 and Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope’s Peak Academy were properly unveiled earlier this month, Spike Chunsoft has given Famitsu a rundown on both the upcoming visual novel and the animated series.
Gematsu compiled a list of all the important details that came from Famitsu’s interviews with series creator Kazutaka Kodaka and producer Yoshinori Terasawa. According to the translation, Spike Chunsoft’s decision to create both an animated series and a brand new game was in order to offer closure to the original story while also being able to do create a new scenario that lends itself to murders and class trials.
Here’s the full list of points from Gematsu:
New Danganronpa V3
- When deciding whether to create a sequel or something new for the third installment, Spike Chunsoft settled on both because there was divided opinion among the studio.
- The “V3” in New Danganronpa V3 is to differentiate Danganronpa 3 and New Danganronpa V3.
- The “V” stands for “Victory.”
- The basic flow of the game is the same as it’s been in the past, but the level of production is much higher.
- “Scrum Debate” is a new system that divides the debate into two sides with different beliefs.
- This time, you’ll defeat your opponents with “lies,” using fabricated truth bullets.
- They’re trying to make places where lying is necessary, as well as secret shortcuts, but it’s difficult.
- “Panic Debate” is another new system that will be detailed later on.
- The everyday parts have also been upgraded. The protagonist can go out and talk to the multiple characters that appear.
- The main visual shows three of the 10 or so people that will participate in the killing game. Whether the hero is there is a secret.
- The high school is surrounded by a cage, but is in a garden. There’s also a hotel in the garden.
- Development is 120 percent complete. (Just kidding. That’s a lie from producer Terasawa.)
- Originally, they were going to make an anime of Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair.
- They wanted to create something that would involve Class Trials, but because it would be too painful for the students of Hope’s Peak Academy to kill each other again, they decided to conclude with an anime.
- The anime immediately follows Danganronpa 2.
- There will be developments you wouldn’t imagine, as well as many new characters.
- They believe this story can only be told through anime.
- If they made a game instead of an anime, they might not have been able to do the serious things they planned for the anime.
- Although there aren’t any investigation elements, there will be suspense.
- Working on two projects at the same time is difficult, but they’re doing it without compromise because such opportunities don’t appear too often.
Both Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope’s Peak Academy and New Danganronpa V3 will launch in Japan in 2016, but there’s no word on when the series and visual novel will be coming to the west.
For more on Danganronpa, check out Gaming Trend’s review of the shooter spin-off Ultra Despair Girls.