For its seventh year, Fantastic Arcade is returning, bringing along a fantastic mix of indie games from various developers such as Matt Thorson, creator of Towerfall, and Bennett Foddy, creator of QWOP.
For the past several years, Fantastic Arcade has been a showcase of several indie games and even hosted its own Game Jam. It’s been an off-shoot of the independent film festival, Fantastic Fest. This is the first year Fantastic Arcade will be on its own. Last year, some of the games showcased included House House’s Untitled Goose Game and Messhof’s Nidhogg 2.
As with last year, several game developers have been commissioned to premiere their games in special mini-arcade cabinets:
- Jenny Jiao Hsia, NYC-based artist behind Beglitched and Steller Smooch, who will be showing off Consume Me
- Loren Schmidt, creator of Strawberry Cubes, Realistic Kissing Simulator, and Star Guard
- Connor Mccann, Texas-based artist behind Black Gold
- Fernando Ramallo, creator of Panoramical
- Kyle Reimergartin, creator of Fjords
- Brandon Williamson, creator of Forget-Me-Not
In addition to these six games, 10 of last year’s games will be showcased during Fantastic Fest:
- Disco Bear by Brian Handy & Katie Pustolski
- Untitled Goose Game by House House
- Into the Beach by Subset Games
- Minit by Kitty Calis, Jan Willem Nijman, Jukio Kallio, and Dominik Johann
- Nidhogg 2 by Messhof
- Getting Over It by Bennett Foddy
- Heat Signature by Tom Francis
- Celeste by Matt Thorson, Noel Berry, Amora Bettany, Pedro Medeiros, Lena Raine, and Power-Up Audio
- 10 Beautiful Postcards by thecatamites
- Bernband by Tom van den Boogaart
Fantastic Arcade will be run by Austin indie game collective, Juegos Rancheros and directed by Wiley Wiggins and Brandon Boyer. Formerly the chairman of the Independent Games Festival, Brandon Boyer is a speaker for indie game showcases at GDC.
Fantastic Arcade will be held at the Alamo Drafthouse Mueller on November 17th to November 19th. For more information on the event visit the Fantastic Arcade website as well as the Juegos Rancheros website.