http://gamingtrend.com
August 21, 2014, 12:35:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trading System Ideas/ Feedback  (Read 1633 times)
DarkEL
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: October 15, 2004, 10:34:35 PM »

Hey all,

Posted a few days ago (in another thread though) about how we've kicked around the idea of creating a system to help facillitate the game trading.

And i had this like way crazy idea that maybe you guys might have a better idea of what you'd want that I would.  smile  

So thought I'd throw up this post as a way for people to toss out their wishlist to me while I start the design process of the system.

From a high level - this is what i though might make sense.  Allow you to create a "my library" type of list by selecting games from our database that you own. From there you could mark that certain games are available for sale, trade, or pay it forward.  Heck maybe even let you use that system to rate what you thought of each game too.  Maybe even as a 2nd phase add the ability for you to create a wish-list and get notified if anyone  marks an item from your wishlist as available for trade.

Then build out a front-end search system that would allow people to view what games are currently available, search for specific titles. Then when you find a game that you're interested in - makes it easy for you to contact the seller and figure out the terms.

Probably need to work out some sort of feedback / trader rating system in there as well.

I don't know - what do you guys think?

So please post any ideas, dreams, wishlist, or heck even post if you think building this thing is a bad idea and let me know.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2004, 04:20:11 PM »

This sounds great, DarkEl. Sounds kinda like GameTZ, but without the asshats! smile
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2004, 09:03:19 PM »

Sounds great.  Especially the want-list part.  Cross-referencing the available with the wants and you could display who all has a game available immediately and perhaps an option to e-mail that person as well.

But be careful, if you build it, the asshats will come. slywink
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2004, 08:02:58 PM »

Back in the day, I used to use switchhouse before it died.  It was pretty handy.  Here are some of the features I liked:

Small, avatar sized cover photos for games lists.  It made scanning quicker if you knew what you were looking for.

Flexible searching (ie search only my tradable vs. my want or wants vs all my games or only with people with certain # of positive trades, or even just a search for a particular game, etc.)

The system had a built in proposal system so after a search, I could hit the propose trade button.  It would then bring up their tradable list and mine, I could check the boxes I was interested in and propose a trade.  It made multiples easier.  Then they'd get an email notifying them of a proposed trade.  They could accept, decline or propose a different trade.

Whenever someone's username was listed, it was a link to their profile/trading feedback.  Feedback included a numerical evaluation of the trade plus an optional text field.  Note you could only give feedback on accepted and completed trades.

Once a trade was accepted, the system automatically sent out emails to each party reminding them what they agreed to and providing the appropriate mailing address.  Note, the only way to get someone's mailing address was to successfully negotiate a trade with them.  Though I didn't use it, the email also included a link to printable mailing label you could use for the trade.

After the trade was accepted, the games traded were removed from the individual's library.  They were sort of held in limbo.  In your pending trades section, you would push the "trade shipped" button when you shipped off the package.  As I recall, they didn't have a pull down menu where you could choose the method you shipped it or a box to add a confirmation number, but that would be nice.  The system would automatically email the other party letting you know the trade had shipped.  After, I think it was a week, the system would send you a reminder email asking if you'd received the package.  When you clicked "package received", you'd go to the trade screen and verify you received everything they promised.  Once you did, the games would be automatically added to your collection.  Then it took you to the feedback section.

You had a default option when games were added to your collection.  You could choose to have them automatically as available for trade or just added to your library.  Of course, it was easy to check/uncheck the box, but if you liked turning over your library, the default option was nice.

It was a great system especially for the time.  Too bad they never figured out how to make money with it without driving their users away.  I hope that helps.  It was probably a little rambling, so feel free to contact me with any questions.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2004, 02:32:58 PM »

Would it be possible for CG to develop a naming format for the subject lines eg: ForSale - Xbox - Product - blahblah
             Wanted - GC - Product - blahblah

and something in the subject line to indicate (right at the beginning) that it's now closed.

I dunno :? ... maybe having emoticons added for a moneybag, a for sale, and a looking sign might help. 'stoo bad you can't set up thread titles with a type of emote that indicates thread type (for this forum only)

smile

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2004, 01:24:05 AM »

I'm always game for a new, better system of trade.  As it stands atm, I rarely if ever look at people's lists with the present system, preferring to scan individual threads instead.

Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play

Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.
unbreakable
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2004, 11:35:10 AM »

Dont know how hard this suggestion would be, but maybe not too hard.

I was thinking maybe having some kind of 'banner' people could put in their sig, and it would have their karma score (PIFF), their trade score, and feature links to their titles up for trade, wanteds, PIFF, whatever.
lokiju

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2004, 12:10:00 AM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
Dont know how hard this suggestion would be, but maybe not too hard.

I was thinking maybe having some kind of 'banner' people could put in their sig, and it would have their karma score (PIFF), their trade score, and feature links to their titles up for trade, wanteds, PIFF, whatever.

That's not a bad idea.  In fact, it's pretty awesome.

Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play

Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2004, 02:25:30 PM »

well, all i know is that i never go to the main PIFF because it's too confusing (for me, anyway).  it's like you need a scorecard if you didn't pick the day that the alphabetical list was updated.

also, not being a PC gamer, when people don't differentiate the system the game is for, i'm not sure if maybe it's a title that's on a system i didn't know it was out for, or oops, that's right, it's a PC game...  plus, i refuse to believe that i'm the only one on this forum who has a bad memory or who doesn't have every single set of game initials memorized.  if it said PC somewhere, then i'd know that's why i didn't recognize the initials, and could stop trying to figure it out.

does anyone else think that the PIFF is intimidating - too much info, replies back and forth, can't tell the pc games from the consoles (sometimes) - or even that it's time to have subdivisions to it?  ie the strat guide one, or even a misc. one for controllers, cables, maybe even dvd's?  all under the gen'l PIFF sticky - because too many stickies makes them all tend to be skipped by....  

i confess to great ignorance as to the inner workings of this wonder, so take these thoughts and questions as such - they're from someone who may represent a portion of CG that is either tiny, or maybe just untapped.
i'd love to participate but i've found it frustrating most of the times i've tried.

thanks for asking!

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
warning

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2004, 02:36:30 PM »

Yeah I really need to update the PIFF lists.  At this point all I have is one giant list of what's available listed by game and by donor.  It does get pretty intimidating even when it's organized in list form.

I'm open to any other suggestions though.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2004, 03:00:31 PM »

If we do this, any games that -aren't- in the system can be easily added, too. smile
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2005, 05:21:10 PM »

one last idea - it's included in several of the other ideas, but in case you choose something that doesn't have this - do you think there's enough interest in separating the PC stuff from the console stuff?  if someone is a console-only, or like me, almost exclusively - then the thread is even more intimidating due to the fact that i don't know all the "initials" and may be plowing through it all to see if there's an Xbox game in there somewhere.  also, a lot of people seem to assume that everyone will know it's a pc game if they don't specify.  and if you're looking specifically for one or the other, it would be lots easier, too.

thanks again for even asking!

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: