http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 06:50:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm ready to believe - anyone have a cheap Win 8 license?  (Read 419 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: September 27, 2013, 11:45:34 PM »

I'm at the "reinstall Windows 7" stage again and I'm ready to live dangerously.   Anyone have a Windows 8 license they might be interested in parting with?  If so, how much?  smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 01:50:18 AM »

if you can't find anyone here, Amazon currently has Windows 8 Pro upgrade for $80.49.  it is from a 3rd party seller (fulfilled by Amazon w/ Prime shipping), so it the price may change quickly.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 02:03:29 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 28, 2013, 01:50:18 AM

if you can't find anyone here, Amazon currently has Windows 8 Pro upgrade for $80.49.  it is from a 3rd party seller (fulfilled by Amazon w/ Prime shipping), so it the price may change quickly.

Not too shabby.  I'm hoping that somebody nabbed one on the cheap with the "Windows 8 for 15 bucks!" madness post launch.    I'll keep this in my pocket though.  Thanks CeeKay!

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 12:09:16 AM »

Give me a couple of days to see if I have an extra one...
Not sure I'd recommend it though.. smile still not a firm believe for desktop installs.... tablets/touch screens, a little more of a believer... Although I am feeling better OKing it for some of my end user customers that do really basic stuff... Mostly because I am still not a big fan of the interface..
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 01:37:31 AM »

He's going to 8.1 right away (IIRC) so the Win8 is a stopgap. The improvements are immense, and had 8.1 been the original release, they would have fared far better. They still have work to do, mind you. Having two screens with four apps up is pretty sweet - the problem they have right now is getting apps compatible with the new split screen interface (where it's adjustable).

It also blows my f***ing mind why Office 2013  / Office Online doesn't have a native Win8x mode.

One of the best apps for a touchscreen (esp. a Surface Pro w. pen) is Autodesk's Sketchbook Express. The full version, however, is desktop software, and is a pale imitation of the simple and intuitive controls of the free software.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 01:39:39 AM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 02:48:27 AM »

Quote from: Purge on September 30, 2013, 01:37:31 AM

It also blows my f***ing mind why Office 2013  / Office Online doesn't have a native Win8x mode.

it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't soon.  one of the things they said they were doing with Office 365 was constantly upgrading it, hence the subscription system for it.  I actually got a subscription for 365 through Microsoft Student.  I was curious to see how they handled it, and $80 for 4 years seemed like a good price to try it out (versus the normal $100 for 1 year).

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 03:15:56 AM »

I need to get me a student version. That include all the Skype minutes too? (60/mo, IIRC)?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 03:20:59 AM »

yeah, 60 Skype World minutes per month and an extra 20 GB online storage with SkyDrive.  you can have it installed on up to 2 PCs at any given time during the 4 year subscription.

Because I can,
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 06:03:03 PM »

I got my license for 8.1    Almost wish I hadn't....   crybaby

http://gamingtrend.com/forums/hardware-software-hell/maybe-i-should-have-stuck-with-7-windows-8-1-can%27t-install-any-drivers/

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: