http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 09:54:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone have any Star Wars Miniatures they don't want?  (Read 537 times)
Blackhawk
Gaming Trend Reader

?

View Profile
« on: May 01, 2012, 04:46:25 PM »

Summer is getting ready to start, and I don't have as much to work with this year as usual, so to help keep my kids busy over their break I was going to try and run a game of the Savage Worlds RPG with them set in the Star Wars universe.

I've heard that the Star Wars Miniatures line of plastic minis from Wizards of the Coast was ideal to use as RPG miniatures. Unfortunately, they're out of print. They don't seem to be going for high collectors' prices, but because they're out of print, they're no longer available in stores. I've seen them cheap online - many less than a dollar each - but once you add in $4+ shipping each, it gets crazy.

I was hoping that someone had some lying around somewhere not seeing use that would be willing to part with them. I'm also interested in the maps.
Blackhawk
Gaming Trend Reader

?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 11:09:07 PM »

I went ahead and bought a few online so I'd have them ready, so my budget is more or less gone for this project.  I suppose I'll call the thread dead unless someone has a really, really good deal.
TK-421
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 11:34:43 PM »

I'll have to search but I think I may have some. I just have to remember where the heck my miniatures case got stored when we moved in twelve years ago.

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
Blackhawk
Gaming Trend Reader

?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 01:54:49 AM »

Quote from: TK-421 on May 03, 2012, 11:34:43 PM

I'll have to search but I think I may have some. I just have to remember where the heck my miniatures case got stored when we moved in twelve years ago.

You may have some Star Wars miniatures, but probably not the "Star Wars Miniatures (TM)" line I was referring to, as those only came out eight years ago. slywink
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 05:29:38 PM »

I have almost 3 complete sets of them -including the very rare Clone Strike set- so I no doubt have some dubplicates you might be looking for. The sets I have are Clone Stike, Revenge of the Sith and Legacy of the Force. I have very few duplicates of Rares and VR`s though. I also have a few figs from Champions of the Force and Bounty Hunters. If you want, feel free to PM me a list of anything you're looking for. Just in case you're not aware of it, there's a site called bloomilk.com where you can enter your sets and also list figs you're looking for and other fans can view it.

And bravo for choosing Savage Worlds as the RPG system for a Star Wars PnP. It works great for space pulp settings and some of those fan-made adaptations for Star Wars are awesome. Something to be aware of, is that there's a really good fanmade apdaptation hosted on a website that's only accessible by invite -IIRC the creator got some cease & desists from LA- so you won't find links to it on savageheroes.com or savagepeodia. PM me if you want more info on that.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 06:06:15 PM by kronovan » Logged
TK-421

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 01:46:33 AM »

Quote from: Blackhawk on May 04, 2012, 01:54:49 AM

Quote from: TK-421 on May 03, 2012, 11:34:43 PM

You may have some Star Wars miniatures, but probably not the "Star Wars Miniatures (TM)" line I was referring to, as those only came out eight years ago. slywink

You are correct.  These are from way way back.  Circa 1987-89

Open the blast doors!  Open the blast doors!
Blackhawk
Gaming Trend Reader

?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 08:58:16 PM »

After not getting any leads for a while, I ended up buying some from Paizo and CoolStuffInc.  I ended up spending a little more than I wanted, but I got enough to cover a lot of types of encounters.

Quote from: kronovan on May 10, 2012, 05:29:38 PM

And bravo for choosing Savage Worlds as the RPG system for a Star Wars PnP. It works great for space pulp settings and some of those fan-made adaptations for Star Wars are awesome. Something to be aware of, is that there's a really good fanmade apdaptation hosted on a website that's only accessible by invite -IIRC the creator got some cease & desists from LA- so you won't find links to it on savageheroes.com or savagepeodia. PM me if you want more info on that.

I found the invite-only site a while back, and contacted the author for an invite.  It's a great conversion.   I ended up grabbing five or six others from here and there.  In the end, though, I ended up writing my own, as most of them just didn't go into enough depth for me.  They all seemed to try to convert the West End Games Star Wars system rather than writing one for Savage Worlds, which is what I'm doing.  Instead of a list of ten weapons (all from WEG), I have a list of about 70 (all canon), which is enough to give the players trade-offs: range for damage, damage for AP, range for rate of fire, power for ammo capacity and so on, instead of having every 'blaster pistol' be identical.  I have about twenty types of armor plus a fully fleshed out equipment list and a group of setting rules, along with a full droid character system  I'm working on races and force systems right now.

Not only am I going to run it for my kids, but my Pathfinder group ended up a person short this week and I got volunteered to run a SW Star Wars game as a one-off.  Our first game was the past weekend, and it went beautifully.  Only one of us (not me) had any real experience with Savage Worlds, but it was so easy to GM that I didn't have any trouble at all.  It went over well enough that the group is wanting to ditch Pathfinder in favor of making it a full blown campaign.

One cool trick I found:  Starwars.com has a crawl creator, but you can't save.  I made a crawl as an intro to the adventure, then recorded it with Fraps.  I played it on my big-screen to kick things off, and everyone loved it.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 04:06:24 PM »

Quote from: Blackhawk on May 16, 2012, 08:58:16 PM

After not getting any leads for a while, I ended up buying some from Paizo and CoolStuffInc.  I ended up spending a little more than I wanted, but I got enough to cover a lot of types of encounters.
Oh darn, wish I'd seen you post earlier as I'm sure I have some figs you could have used. If there's anything else you're looking for PM me, because I'm about to reinventory and should have a really clear idea of what I'm going to trade off. I can't say enough good things about CoolStuffInc - been doing biz with them for years and have never been dissapointed.

They all seemed to try to convert the West End Games Star Wars system rather than writing one for Savage Worlds, which is what I'm doing.

Which makes sense to some extent, as SW is really the heir apparent of d6. Pinnacle Ent. just got rid of the silly buckets of dice and cleaned up of the messy disadvantages/advantages system with a much superior hindrances/edge system. slywink  Your conversion sounds great; is it something you might eventully make available via the savageheroes or savagepoedia sites?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 04:13:06 PM by kronovan » Logged
Blackhawk
Gaming Trend Reader

?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 11:42:45 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on May 17, 2012, 04:06:24 PM

Your conversion sounds great; is it something you might eventully make available via the savageheroes or savagepoedia sites?

Maybe.  I'm writing it up and formatting it for others to use in case I decide to, but I'm also borrowing heavily from some of the other conversions out there, so I'd have to look into permissions/credits if I did so.  My droid system, for instance, was modified from a version I found in a .pdf (which is, incidentally, the same version used in the 'invitation only' version.  I have no idea which was first, but I modified it a fair bit.)
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 02:49:15 PM »

Quote from: Blackhawk on May 17, 2012, 11:42:45 PM

My droid system, for instance, was modified from a version I found in a .pdf (which is, incidentally, the same version used in the 'invitation only' version.  I have no idea which was first, but I modified it a fair bit.)

If it was in 1 of the 5 PDF's on savageheroes.com (most recent was oddly named Version 6) it almost certainly was in PDF before the invitation only webpages. IIRC there were 5 PDFs on the heroes site as far back back as 2 years ago. I have seen Savage World conversions that name other fan conversion as sources, but for sure you should check with the any other authors for permission. The bigger concern is Lucas Arts, but since they've stopped licensing Star Wars for any PnP RPG they seem to be a bit more relaxed.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 02:51:54 PM by kronovan » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: