http://gamingtrend.com
September 22, 2014, 02:13:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone have an old HD sitting around?  (Read 1459 times)
Kestrel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: October 26, 2004, 04:28:18 AM »

Our small school has a computer with bad HD sectors.  It won't even boot.  

Does anyone have an old HD (6-8 GB)?  I'd be glad to pay for shipping.  I'd like to get that machine up and running for them.
unbreakable
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2004, 11:55:54 AM »

I found this place a while ago, and they have really great prices.

Scroll down, they have fairly decent sized hard drives $10-$25.  But you should probably avoid the IBM drive, since it's probably one of those models which had a tendency to die.
deadzone
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2004, 01:04:59 AM »

I may have a 20 gb drive, I'll check it and see if it works and let you know.
Kestrel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2004, 03:23:05 AM »

Thanks, deadzone -

The school really misses this computer, and it will be a big help to them if we can get it up and running again.

When the computer refused to run, I took it to the place that built it for the school.  They checked it out and said that the HD was the problem.  I was surprised when they said they wanted to put a 40 GB in it.  It has a 6GB drive and I thought it might not be able to handle one that big.

They wanted $75 to put in the HD, but the whole computer isn't worth that much, and who knows what might conk out next.  The school didn't have a need for a big drive.  That's when I thought of the members on this site.  I know some of the members of GG chipped in when other similar needs came up in the past.  I thought someone might have an old HD sitting on the shelf.

Let me know what you find out.  It sounds perfect for them.

unbreakable, thanks for the tip.  If nothing else works out, I'll check out the site.  And thanks for the warning on the IBM drives.  I knew some of their drives had troubles, but I wouldn't have known if these were some of the bad ones.

You guys are great!  Thanks for the help.
deadzone
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2004, 02:40:53 PM »

The drive seems to be fine so it's yours if you want it.  E-Mail me at [email protected] and we can exchange information.  I really just need an address and a couple of bucks for shipping.  I know that sadly, schools tend to have little budget to work with....

Turnaround shouldn't be bad, I just have to format it and make extra sure it's in good shape.
Kestrel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2004, 03:14:17 AM »

Thanks, deadzone -

YGM in a minute.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: