http://gamingtrend.com
October 30, 2014, 04:16:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Weird EB promotion?  (Read 2729 times)
Thin_J
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 03, 2004, 01:42:59 AM »

I'll delete this if it's now irrelevant.. but I was a bit surprised by my trip to EB this past week.

I traded in:
Kindom Under Fire
Top Spin
Ghost Recon
Ghost Recon: Island Thunder
X-Men Legends

Now.. I was expecting to get somewhere in the region of $60 or so. All I wanted was Dead or Alive Ultimate so that was fine with me.

Instead, the clerk does a slight double-take after finishing all the trade-ins and tells me I earned $85 in store credit(!), and that I also qualified to send this little card I have now in for a $25 gift voucher for EB.

Not only did I get DOA:U, I also pre-sold the Halo 2: LE and only have to pay $20 for it when it releases. I have $20 on an EB gift card in my wallet, so Halo 2 is paid for already.

Then, weeks from now I get a $25 card. Excellent.

I have no idea what deals were going on that caused all this, but thought I would let you guys know so you could at least see what's going on.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2004, 04:58:08 AM »

Well, I work there, so I can tell you what happened.  KUF and X-Men would've gotten you about $50 by themselves.  Then there's a promotion going where if you pre-order Halo 2, it ups the value of almost everything to $10.  Your other three would've qualified for that, which puts you up to around the $85.  Fifty for DOA, thirty for Halo, and there you go.

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2004, 05:17:12 AM »

Well, I was pretty surprised regardless.

That makes twice now I've gone in there with things I had no use for anymore and they've given me ridiculous amounts of money for them.

The last time was when I traded in my PS2 and all it's games. I ended up with a brand new Xbox, two free games, and three other games, plus a memory card. And I had credit left over. Crazy stuff.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2004, 06:53:03 AM »

I wouldn't say that an average of $17 per game is "ridiculous amounts of money", and if it is then trading in games is the most retarded thing you could ever do.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2004, 07:18:26 AM »

Quote from: "EngineNo9"
I wouldn't say that an average of $17 per game is "ridiculous amounts of money", and if it is then trading in games is the most retarded thing you could ever do.

I'd say it's a hefty amount of money considering my particular circumstances. Before you insult my choice of wording and call me retarded in the same sentence, why don't we go over said circumstances:

I originally paid $15 each for both Ghost Recon and GR:Island Thunder brand new. I just received $10 each back for them when I traded them in. That means I bought, and played two games for over 9 months and after trading them back in both games cost me 10 dollars total. I played each multiple times and had some great times with them in multiplayer as well.

Kingdom Under Fire and Top Spin were each only $9 for me when they first released, brand new. I got $10 for Top Spin (Earned a dollar), and $20 for KuF. Earned $11 on that one.

The only game that actually cost me money in that group to play was X-Men: Legends, and if I remember my trade-in history correctly I only paid $20 for it because I traded in Ninja Gaiden for it. I got $30 back for it.

Now I don't know about you, but that whole thing sounds like a damn good deal to me, especially considering I had no desire to play any of those games again. Ghost Recon 2 is coming out, so I didn't need those any more. Top Spin got old and I couldn't get back into it because of the frustrating lack of mid-tournament saves, I'd played out X-Men Legends already, and Kingdom Under Fire sucked. What more could I ask for out of all that?

*Edit*
And I forgot to add that $25 gift voucher into the mix. I'm seriously having trouble seeing what part of my actions here is "retarded".. as you so eloquently put it.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2004, 11:55:30 AM »

The only way Top Spin and KUF were $9 when they were new is if you traded in previous games to get them to that price, so you are not doing correct, long-term math.  The same with your other games.  You are using recursive deductions to not count how much you are actually paying for your current game.  

It's fine if you want to trade your games in, but don't use incorrect logic to say that you made money by trading games in.

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2004, 03:40:34 PM »

hi, all,

My theory is that the more knowledge you have, the better off you are.  regardless of what Thin_J ultimately paid for or made from the games - he still provided me with information.  we can decide for ourselves whether the information has value to us.  i prefer to trade my games or sell them on eBay, but if i had KuF and X-Men, i probably would have gone to EB as well.  and, if i share some tips on, say, a seller i found on eBay. i wouldn't want to be called retarded for it.

not everyone keeps their games forever, or are hung up on getting every penny's worth out of them when they've "used up" the value in them as far a they're concerned.  and the entertainment value gained should always be taken into account.  you pay (a lot) to go to the movies and come out empty handed, don't you?

that aside - this is my real impetus for responding:  to call someone retarded for any reason is just plain wrong!  the word shouldn't be used as a derogatory comment to begin with.  but for the grace of God (or fate, destiny, karma, or whatever) - i might be lacking IQ points instead of a particular hormone (insulin).  in addition, the word "retarded", unlike "diabetic", is viewed by most people to be an insult, and has attached to it all kinds of emotionally charged history - of abuse, discrimination, castigation, and more.

is this how we want to represent our forums to everyone who visits?

thanks to Thin_J for sharing, and thanks to ConsoleGold for lending me the soapbox!

Regards to all,

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2004, 04:06:05 PM »

mytocles put it very well, let's keep comments like how retarded a person is to ourselves.  Thin_J feels he got a deal, it shouldn't be up to other posters to decide if he did or not because in the end only Thin_J's opinion really counts on this (and he thinks he got a good deal).

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2004, 04:34:34 PM »

Quote from: "EngineNo9"
The only way Top Spin and KUF were $9 when they were new is if you traded in previous games to get them to that price, so you are not doing correct, long-term math.  

Wrong. Period. I traded in nothing for either of those games. I paid only shipping for them to my house.

I'm a member of the Xbox Retail Training Team.

http://retail.microsoft.com/retail/xbox/default.asp

You earn points by taking quizzes on xbox based products. You can then use those points in their prize shop. Most games cost between 700 and 1500 points. I currently have over 6500. All you have to do is submit the order and pay the $9 in site fees and shipping.

If you want I'll take a picture of the site if you're going to insist that I'm a liar and/or insulting my logic.

Also, thanks to mytocles and AgtFox.

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2004, 04:41:03 PM »

I figured that's how you got them for so cheap.  I can vouch for the Retail team thing and I know a lot of people that use it that work for a retail establishment.  I think Thin_J works for Toys R Us, so he obviously would fall under the retail store category.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2004, 04:45:57 PM »

Yeah, the Xbox rep at our store told a few of us about it one day during the fall last year, and I've been accumulating points ever since.

I've only ordered two games though. They only have microsoft published titles (Of course) and there's few of those that I find interest in.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2004, 06:17:32 PM »

Cripes...how about I'm sorry for ruffling feathers again, that was not my purpose.  Move along, nothing to see here.   :oops:

Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2004, 08:17:25 PM »

Chaz, where does the $25 gift card come into play with this offer?
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2004, 11:31:38 PM »

If I'm remembering right, if you trade in five games at once, you can get the mail-in coupon.

The reason for it is that the company sometimes runs a promo where you get that bonus credit immediately.  I'm guessing that it cost them a lot, so they're trying the mail-in route because so few people actually mail the coupons in.

Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2004, 02:32:47 PM »

Thanks Chaz....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: