http://gamingtrend.com
August 27, 2014, 01:49:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steam Weekend MMO sale  (Read 1444 times)
El-Producto
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 12, 2009, 05:42:19 PM »

Looks like all of Steam's MMO's are on sale.

Meh
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 06:17:11 PM by El-Producto » Logged

"Goonies never say die"
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 06:07:14 PM »

EQ2 with all the expansion packs (including the latest), adventure packs and base game for 9.99? 

In!

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 07:00:03 PM »

In for the EQ2 everything pack.  Also, Eve at $7.50 isn't bad at all...especially if you're new and sign up for the 21 day trial first.  Do that, buy and activate the next day and you get 51 days of Eve, no monthly sub to setup all for $7.50 (obviously you will need a monthly sub after the 51 days icon_cool)
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 07:42:16 PM »

i've never played an EQ games, but at 10 it's tempting. How does the combat play? It's not one of those where it takes 45 seconds to kill a mob, is it?
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 07:46:04 PM »

EQ2 is EQ lite, from what I've heard.  I played EQ2 for quite some time, but never really played the first EQ.  I enjoyed it.  My only complaint was that the combat wasn't as tight as WoW or LotR.  What I mean by that is that there was always a disconnect from the actual blows.  You could fire an arrow at a distant mob, but standing on the edge of your bow's range didn't mean much since usually the mob would just warp to your spot before you got a game determined number of shots off.  In WoW and LotR, it seems that the combat is more interactive...even though I'm sure it's probably not.

other than that, there's tons of content, a huge number of different classes, multiple starting zones, and a healthy crafting system.  I'm not a big fan of the armor/weapon bonuses because it's one of those games that gives practically imperceptible bonuses for special items.

still, the amount of stuff you're getting, combined with the fact that you're getting it all for less than the cost of a month's subscription, makes it a pretty easy choice for any fan of MMO's.  Unfortunately, since I've already subscribed to EQ2 in the past, I'm not eligible for the 30 days free unless I want to lose the characters I played with when I originally subscribed.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 07:49:45 PM by hepcat » Logged

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 07:55:21 PM »

I'm confused as to why there are two EQ2 bundles, both of which say they have all 4 expansion packs, but the one that seems like it would have the fewer packs is more expensive.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 08:16:48 PM »

You want to get The Shadow Odyssey All-In-One Pack as it includes all expansions, all addon packs, all entitlements and I think the kitchen sink thrown in.  The Rise of Kunark has everything except The Shadow Odyssey expansion.  I considering starting over but honestly I didn't want to give my veteran rewards up...I'm up to a 1461 day vet reward now.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 08:17:42 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 12, 2009, 07:55:21 PM

I'm confused as to why there are two EQ2 bundles, both of which say they have all 4 expansion packs, but the one that seems like it would have the fewer packs is more expensive.

I saw that too.  I think it's a mistake.  As far as I know, sony online releases each expansion for EQ2 with all previous expansions included..or at least they have for the last few.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2009, 12:24:10 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on June 12, 2009, 08:17:42 PM

I saw that too.  I think it's a mistake.  As far as I know, sony online releases each expansion for EQ2 with all previous expansions included..or at least they have for the last few.

That is correct - Sony always releases combo packages of EQ2, instead of offering the expansions separately. I guess it's their attempt to get it on store shelves or something.

And ericb - why start over since you have all those veteran rewards? Just go make a new character or something.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
warning

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2009, 04:44:43 AM »

If I just wanted to dink around in the single-player game for a month or two, is there any point to Age of Conan?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2009, 05:05:47 AM »

Quote from: warning on June 13, 2009, 04:44:43 AM

If I just wanted to dink around in the single-player game for a month or two, is there any point to Age of Conan?

well, depending on how many alt's you might want to make it might be worth it. the SP portion can be knocked out pretty quickly once you've completed it once or twice.

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2009, 05:45:09 AM »

You still have to pay a fee if you're playing SP, right?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2009, 06:55:42 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 13, 2009, 05:45:09 AM

You still have to pay a fee if you're playing SP, right?

you could probably get sick of the SP portion in the first free month, but after that yeah, it's a subscription no matter if you're playing levels 1-20 or 20+.

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2009, 09:26:03 AM »

Hell yeah - you can try out the different classes, and run through Tortage, exploring it to your hearts content if you'r being casual about it. There's tons of stuff to do there and its REALLY well done.

Its also easyliest the prettiest MMO out there if your PC can handle it- I'd say go for it!

A new one
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2009, 09:37:58 AM »

i never understood the hate for the fees. 15/month is a steal. if you play the game for 5 hours a month that's 3/hr. you are crazy or stupid to think that's not a good deal for entertainment, let alone gaming value.
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2009, 12:03:44 PM »

You will get your moneys worth on the SP alone. 

"Goonies never say die"
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2009, 06:14:03 PM »

Quote from: El-Producto on June 13, 2009, 12:03:44 PM

You will get your moneys worth on the SP alone. 

which isnt really SP, since there'll be loads of other people around at all times, and some quests require a group, especially if you are arent a guardian

A new one
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2009, 11:54:29 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on June 13, 2009, 12:24:10 AM

Quote from: hepcat on June 12, 2009, 08:17:42 PM

That is correct - Sony always releases combo packages of EQ2, instead of offering the expansions separately. I guess it's their attempt to get it on store shelves or something.

And ericb - why start over since you have all those veteran rewards? Just go make a new character or something.

I didn't start over.  It's not worth giving up an account with 1700 days age (not played smile) for a free month of play.  I'm actually having fun again...probably more so since I'm a little burnt out in WoW right now.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2009, 12:01:22 AM »

does anyone know if your free month starts as soon as you buy the EQ2 pack on Steam or can I wait to install it?  I'm thinking of grabbing it but won't be able to play for at least a week, and I've also gotten an offer to get LotRO Mines of Moria for $9.99 as a digital download as part of their anniversary celebration.  I don't know when the LotRO offer will end (no expiration date give beyond 'limited time only') and that sub will start right away.

Because I can,
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2009, 02:49:21 AM »

Well, I had to install EQ2 from scratch and it took most of Saturday and then a couple more hours today to get the optional downloads.  There is also a big patch coming on Tuesday.  The only bad thing is you can't download the patches and optional packs until you have an active account.  I know you can cancel the account signup from Sony so I'd imagine you should be able to safely wait a week until activating it.  Just make sure to cut and paste the account code to use when you do get to it.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2009, 03:28:12 AM »

I went in for AoC since I was always curious about that one. 7hr+ download. Let it go over night. Then in the morning it started patching. After about an hour of pointless 1 file patching segments I cancled it and did other things. Then I ran the game again and it had a whole new interface for the patching process and was downloading, first a 60MB file and then a 2GB file. Which was better than the single file patching which kept inturrupting anything else I was trying to do on the computer. But still from install that was like over 10hrs to get this game running.

Actually it didn't run at first. Each time I hit play the launcher would close and then re-start, then go in to a loop. After cruising the web looking for solutions I found there was some launcher looping issues. I deleted some files, tried to stop things in task manager, ran the game software checkup, rebooted. Nothing was working. Then I finally came across a lone post that said the Steam launcher doesn't work for the game. You had to go in to the install folder and run the files manually. Ugh.

So not a smooth start to the game but once I got in the game I was pretty pleased. Neat classes and the game looks fantastic. But after the free month I'm dropping it. Hopefully they'll do this again as I would be curious to try Eve.
Rich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2009, 03:52:21 AM »

AoC was the first MMO I bought and played the free month and was happy with what I got out of it.  I ran through the first 20 levels including the SP content a couple of times and enjoyed it more than many of the SP only RPG's I'd played, that being said after leaving the opening town and doing a couple more levels in one of the next cities I was ready to go back to WoW or wait for Warhammer to come out.  I only wish they had the SP/MP balance all through the game.

SteamID - Rich-NauticaLNaughT
XBox 360 - NauticaLNaughT
PS3 - PTCynic
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2009, 07:07:18 AM »

well, I couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger on the EQ2 bundle.  the original release of EQ2 is sitting on a shelf here, gathering dust, and I am thinking that if I couldn't get into it before it would mean I would never see any of the stuff the expansion packs had to offer anyways.

Because I can,
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2009, 10:44:49 AM »

i'm kinda digging it so far, eq2 that is

how's the pvp? i made a char on one of the pvp servers. am i going to get demolished alone?
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2009, 03:17:07 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 15, 2009, 07:07:18 AM

well, I couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger on the EQ2 bundle.  the original release of EQ2 is sitting on a shelf here, gathering dust, and I am thinking that if I couldn't get into it before it would mean I would never see any of the stuff the expansion packs had to offer anyways.

Actually some of the expansions added new starting areas and new races to the mix along with a total revamp of the original starting areas.  Along with all of the combat updates, class changes and new areas it's a totally different game compared to the first six months of it's release.  It's also much more solo friendly and runs great now that they have added dual core CPU support and are in the process of moving some functions to the GPU and off the CPU (it's very CPU intensive) to increase performance even more.

I am in the same situation though where it will be a long time before I see some of the new content...but at least it's new and not something I've seen/played/become bored with (looking at you WoW).
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2009, 06:13:00 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 15, 2009, 07:07:18 AM

Ah you missed out. You could start off and play almost exclusively in the Faydwer zones from the Echoes of Faydwer expansion. I still think those zones are some of the best looking ones. In a months time you probably could make it to the first area of Desert of Flames, which at first I didn't like but later got in to it. The Splitpaw Saga and Bloodline Chronicle adventure packs would also be doable although I don't know how many people are playing those now. But Kingdom of the Sky, Kunark and Shadow Odyssey expansion pack content would likely not be accessed in a months time for most people unfamiliar with the game.

Since the original release though there's three new starting zones to get you up to level 20. After that your choices are original zones or Faydwer. Then at L40 I think you can start going to Desert of Flames. If you hit L50 then you got Fay, Desert and Sky to play with. For $10 there's a fair amount of content to access in a months time, but yeah you wouldn't be able to access it all.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2009, 06:18:48 PM »

i went with the eve online deal and yup, 51 days of access for 8 bucks and change (tax in WA state)

now i just need to know how to get enough time to play it with all of these great console games launching at the same time.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: