http://gamingtrend.com
December 23, 2014, 03:58:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steam Holiday Sale 2010 - IT'S STARTED!!!!1!  (Read 21277 times)
The Grue
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: December 25, 2010, 08:00:09 PM »

I just picked up Awakenings for 50% off.  I'd finished DA a few months ago, but held off on buying Awakenings because I didn't want to pay $30 for it.  Looking forward to continuing the story there.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: December 25, 2010, 08:16:25 PM »

Awakenings is tempting, but not sure I'm ever going to get around to finishing the original campaign again.  I played all the way through on 360, and got pretty burned out about halfway through on PC.

PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: December 25, 2010, 08:33:06 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on December 25, 2010, 07:42:26 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on December 25, 2010, 07:33:22 PM

Quote from: PR_GMR on December 25, 2010, 07:21:54 PM

Quote from: kronovan on December 25, 2010, 05:38:42 PM

Quote from: PR_GMR on December 25, 2010, 05:19:28 PM

So I picked up 'Borderlands'. It's got great reviews and does sound like it'll be plenty of fun on the PC. For 10 bucks.. hey, why not?.. I'm hoping to pick up two more that I've had my sights on for a good long while.  icon_smile

The game is an absolute  blast when it's played co-op. There's a thread for soliciting players in the multiplayer forum that was specific to the console versions, but I'd suggest posting for PC players in it.

Thanks, kronovan! I shall do that!

Yes, yes, yes!!! 'Dragon Age' went on sale. That's one of the two I wanted (the other being 'Fallout 3'). Just picked it up for 15 bucks.  icon_smile

aw man, you might have been better off buying the Ultimate Edition for 10 bucks more.  it's got the expansion plus all the DLC.

True, but there's already so much gameplay in just Origins that some find it alone overwhelming. I'm currently playing it on the 360 and I just passed the 60 hour mark. I can't believe how much there is to do in the game.

Yes, this is the reason why I just picked up 'Origins'. I very rarely finish a single-player game these days. I didn't want to buy 'too much game'. If I ever get thru DA:O, I'll pick the DLC sometime in the future.
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: December 25, 2010, 10:27:50 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on December 25, 2010, 08:16:25 PM

Awakenings is tempting, but not sure I'm ever going to get around to finishing the original campaign again.  I played all the way through on 360, and got pretty burned out about halfway through on PC.

I actually burned out half way through the original too but powered and finished awakenings with no problem.  Starting with the much more powerful company gets you immediately into the action and it's also shorter.  I will replay the original eventually but awakenings was enjoyable by itself.
hitbyambulance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #284 on: December 25, 2010, 10:50:32 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 25, 2010, 07:40:21 PM

Quote from: kronovan on December 25, 2010, 07:38:13 PM

Quote from: Moliere on December 25, 2010, 06:05:49 PM

Another day with some good deals. I recommend FlatOut: Ultimate Carnage at $2 for anyone that likes racing games.

It's decent but I wouldn't recommend UC or Flatout 2. Check the Steam forums and you'll see many think 2 was the best in the series - there's also far more playing it online .I only played UC on 360, but having played 2 for the past few days I think it's the best in the  series.

I assume you meant over instead of or?  heck, I say pick up all 3 for under 4 bucks and decide from there which one you like the best icon_twisted

I actually think the first one is the best
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: December 25, 2010, 11:12:01 PM »

Quote from: hitbyambulance on December 25, 2010, 10:50:32 PM

Another day with some good deals. I recommend FlatOut: Ultimate Carnage at $2 for anyone that likes racing games.

It's decent but I wouldn't recommend UC or Flatout 2. Check the Steam forums and you'll see many think 2 was the best in the series - there's also far more playing it online .I only played UC on 360, but having played 2 for the past few days I think it's the best in the  series.

I assume you meant over instead of or?  heck, I say pick up all 3 for under 4 bucks and decide from there which one you like the best icon_twisted

The 1st game is definitely very good, but for the 2nd they overhauled the graphics and updated the gameplay. Flatout 1 was crossplatform with the Xbox, whereas 2 was exclusive to the PC. That allowed Bugbear to update it with  quite a few things beyond the capabilities of the Xbox - graphics are quite a bit better.  UC is really just Flatout 2 with a graphics update to put it in line with the standards of a 360 game -  so lots more eyecandy but not much else. From what I've read in forums, the problem with UC PC is that since it's a graphical face lift of 2, it wasn't tested much and it's buggy. I didn't encounter too many bugs with the 360 version of it, but I can say it didn't really have anything over 2 gameplay-wise. But hell yes, for what they cost today you might as well get all 3 and then decide. slywink
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #286 on: December 26, 2010, 01:00:00 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on December 25, 2010, 11:12:01 PM

Quote from: hitbyambulance on December 25, 2010, 10:50:32 PM

It's decent but I wouldn't recommend UC or Flatout 2. Check the Steam forums and you'll see many think 2 was the best in the series - there's also far more playing it online .I only played UC on 360, but having played 2 for the past few days I think it's the best in the  series.

I assume you meant over instead of or?  heck, I say pick up all 3 for under 4 bucks and decide from there which one you like the best icon_twisted

The 1st game is definitely very good, but for the 2nd they overhauled the graphics and updated the gameplay. Flatout 1 was crossplatform with the Xbox, whereas 2 was exclusive to the PC. That allowed Bugbear to update it with  quite a few things beyond the capabilities of the Xbox - graphics are quite a bit better.  UC is really just Flatout 2 with a graphics update to put it in line with the standards of a 360 game -  so lots more eyecandy but not much else. From what I've read in forums, the problem with UC PC is that since it's a graphical face lift of 2, it wasn't tested much and it's buggy. I didn't encounter too many bugs with the 360 version of it, but I can say it didn't really have anything over 2 gameplay-wise. But hell yes, for what they cost today you might as well get all 3 and then decide. slywink
didn't they add in more modes to UC or was that just marketing fluff?

oh, and god help me, i am considering getting both SC CT and X3TC, just for the convenience.  a little bummed the sale on civ 5 isn't that hot, but at least it keeps my backlog down.l
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 01:04:15 AM by Caine » Logged

Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #287 on: December 26, 2010, 01:05:04 AM »

Quote from: MaxSteele on December 25, 2010, 06:23:41 PM

I think they have some dates mixed up....

Flatout has a release date of February 2, 2007

Flatout 2 has a release date of December 21, 2006

The sequel came before the original?

Generally speaking, the release dates listed are when the game released on steam.  So it might make sense for a new game to be released on Steam and then start releasing the back catalog to capitalize on your success.  It wasn't all that long ago that people were pretty wary of steam.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: December 26, 2010, 02:12:16 AM »

Quote from: ericb on December 25, 2010, 10:27:50 PM

I actually burned out half way through the original too but powered and finished awakenings with no problem.  Starting with the much more powerful company gets you immediately into the action and it's also shorter.  I will replay the original eventually but awakenings was enjoyable by itself.

Wait, so you can play Awakenings without having finished the original?  In that case, I think I'm in. 

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: December 26, 2010, 02:23:40 AM »

Yes, Awakenings allows you import your character from the original Dragon Age or start a new one and play it as a stand-alone campaign.  I don't know how well the story holds up without knowledge from the first game, though, because I haven't played it yet.  I've actually heard its more reliant on the story from the Dragon Age novel The Calling than anything else.

-Autistic Angel
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: December 26, 2010, 02:24:15 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on December 26, 2010, 02:12:16 AM

Quote from: ericb on December 25, 2010, 10:27:50 PM

Wait, so you can play Awakenings without having finished the original?  In that case, I think I'm in. 

yep, you can either import your character from Origins are starts as a different one.  that said the Ultimate edition is HUGE, almost 25 gigs, and everyone and their brother must be trying to download stuff today because I'm getting horrible download speeds right now no matter which server I try and use.  luckily Steam gives you the keys for the Ultimate and DLC, which you have to register via the Bioware social site, so I did that and got everything tied to my account and still had my Impulse version installed so I can play using all the DLC I didn't have and install the Steam version at my leisure.

apparently there was a patch out that I missed too, since Impulse doesn't autoupdate.  I wish they had put in an autopdater in the launch menu like they did with Neverwinter Nights.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
theohall

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: December 26, 2010, 03:27:08 AM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on December 26, 2010, 02:23:40 AM

Yes, Awakenings allows you import your character from the original Dragon Age or start a new one and play it as a stand-alone campaign.  I don't know how well the story holds up without knowledge from the first game, though, because I haven't played it yet.  I've actually heard its more reliant on the story from the Dragon Age novel The Calling than anything else.

-Autistic Angel

Playing through Awakenings now having just completed DA:O (as in all achievements, 100% completed - which took a ridiculous # of hours).  My Awakenings story is occasionally referencing things based on how this character finished DA:O, but none of those references are necessary to the story.  It works just fine on it's own as a short RPG in Ferelden.
TradeAble
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: December 26, 2010, 03:56:18 AM »

after a lengthy demo, i purchased blue toad murder files
Moliere

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: December 26, 2010, 08:24:22 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 26, 2010, 02:24:15 AM

that said the Ultimate edition is HUGE, almost 25 gigs, and everyone and their brother must be trying to download stuff today because I'm getting horrible download speeds right now no matter which server I try and use.

After 12 hours I'm only 62% through the Dragon Age download with 200k speed from Steam.   icon_evil

That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #294 on: December 26, 2010, 10:31:28 AM »

I've found that my download speeds from Steam have been slow during the sales, but if I completely close and restart Steam, I get to download at 2 MB/s or more immediately.
mirage775

More than Meets the Eye!

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: December 26, 2010, 01:57:55 PM »

Last night, I bought Shank, because I read you can use a controller with it!  And that Blue Toad Murder thingy, it looked interesting...
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 03:53:08 PM by mirage775 » Logged

Xbox LIVE: Mirage775
Steam: Mirage775
earicci
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: December 26, 2010, 02:08:17 PM »

Anyone recommend Chaos Theory or Double Agent? I enjoy stealth but haven't messed much with Splinter Cell.

Gamertag earicci on PS3 and Xbox 360
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: December 26, 2010, 03:26:12 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on December 26, 2010, 10:31:28 AM

I've found that my download speeds from Steam have been slow during the sales, but if I completely close and restart Steam, I get to download at 2 MB/s or more immediately.

That has been my observations as well but around 1.5 MB/s.  It was wildly inconsistent and stalling for 30+ seconds at a time before the restart.  Was downloading the king Arthur game which was around 8 gb.  Took longer then normal no matter what I did but the restart helped.  I'm actually amazed at how well they ahev handled the load.  Though, I did not try anything yesterday.

morlac00 on PSN
mirage775

More than Meets the Eye!

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: December 26, 2010, 03:30:18 PM »

I haven't had a problem with my DL speeds...

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: December 26, 2010, 03:44:49 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on December 26, 2010, 10:31:28 AM

I've got a pretty good connection in general (just tested at 21.17 Mb/s a couple minutes ago), but don't think I've ever gotten more than around 800 k/s from Steam.  Always just figured it was some sort of slowdown on their end.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: December 26, 2010, 04:48:59 PM »

How long does the Steam sale go?  I really want to pick up Doom 3 (been playing lots of Thief Deadly Shadows lately, and really want to give The Dark Mod a go), but am torn between just paying $15 now or waiting to see if it shows up on one of the daily deals.

Cragmyre

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: December 26, 2010, 04:53:53 PM »

The sale ends January 2nd.  Though not sure if that will be as soon as the day starts, midday, or what.

I suffer from EGADD - Electronic Gaming Attention Deficit Disorder
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #302 on: December 26, 2010, 05:31:36 PM »

Quote from: earicci on December 26, 2010, 02:08:17 PM

Anyone recommend Chaos Theory or Double Agent? I enjoy stealth but haven't messed much with Splinter Cell.

i have no problems recommending CT if you like stealth games.  it's the best in the series.  a number of different ways to get to your objective, great looking graphics (even now it still holds up imo) and a good story that doesn't get too whacky like the last two.  it also had some of the best interrogation dialog from the guards. 

the series takes a step down with DA, mostly due to the fact it wasn't made by the CT team but the team behind SC pandora, so they added in a number of things that makes the game less fun than it should have been.  they added in a timed "base infiltration" component that pops up whenever you go back to your base (the double agent aspect) which is often more frustrating than fun and a lot of daytime missions which force you into using the heavy weapons. (the engine and shooter components are better suited to sneaking than combat).

they reverted most of that in the 5th game but changed so much more that it feels like a different game.  it was fun for what it was, but it's a huge change from the more sneakier early games.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: December 26, 2010, 05:37:40 PM »

Too bad the PC version is a port of the 360 version.  IIRC, the original Xbox version of Double Agent was actually done by the Chaos Theory team, while the 360 version was the Shanghai team that did Pandora Tomorrow, so you wound up with two different games of the same name on different platforms, but the Xbox version was actually pretty good.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #304 on: December 26, 2010, 06:05:46 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on December 26, 2010, 05:37:40 PM

Too bad the PC version is a port of the 360 version.  IIRC, the original Xbox version of Double Agent was actually done by the Chaos Theory team, while the 360 version was the Shanghai team that did Pandora Tomorrow, so you wound up with two different games of the same name on different platforms, but the Xbox version was actually pretty good.

had they ever ported over the xbox 1 version, i would have bought it too.

today is apparently re-run day with all of the deals being previously offered.  boo

ah, the indie game is different.  AI wars for all of 3 bucks. 

TradeAble
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: December 26, 2010, 06:28:29 PM »

today they have:

Dead rising 2 for $19.99
Super Meat Boy $3.75
Witcher  $4.99
Bad Company 2  $6.80
Call of Duty $29.99
Darksiders $9.99
Mass Effect 2 50% off
Fear Complete  $9.99
Assassins Creed 2 $14.99
Lara Croft and the Guardian of light $5.10
Boarderlands 50% percent off
Wings of Prey $5.99
Modern Warfare 2 $29.99
AI War Fleet Command $3.00

« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 06:33:35 PM by TradeAble » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: December 26, 2010, 06:35:31 PM »

second chance sale BOO  thumbsdown thumbsdown thumbsdown!  give us new stuff!

Because I can,
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: December 26, 2010, 06:39:42 PM »

On the plus side, if they're doing the second chance sale now, it means we probably get new deals right through the end of the sale. 

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: December 26, 2010, 06:41:19 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on December 26, 2010, 06:39:42 PM

On the plus side, if they're doing the second chance sale now, it means we probably get new deals right through the end of the sale. 

I bet next Sunday is one too.  IIRC the last day is traditionally a 'best of sale' day.  I'm wondering if we're going to see that Alien Breed pack that was mentioned with the pother Indie packs too.

Because I can,
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: December 26, 2010, 06:46:57 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 26, 2010, 06:35:31 PM

No shit.  That's pretty weak of them at this stage.
MaxSteele

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: December 26, 2010, 06:53:51 PM »

I am actually grateful for this, because I was on the fence about Bad Company 2.  And now I've jumped over that fence. smile
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: December 26, 2010, 07:08:43 PM »

Still on the fence with Darksiders.  Hmmm....

PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: December 26, 2010, 07:30:49 PM »

Nothing for me, today. Whew! A little respite for my wallet. Hopefully, we'll get some good ones tomorrow.

Yet my Sunday's gonna suck PC-gaming wise. My PC has been crippled by several trojan viruses... and I can't browse nor access the internet. No Steam.. can't download any of my new games. Gonna spend tonight installing a new DVD burner in my PC and reinstalling Windows XP from scratch. Ugh.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: December 26, 2010, 07:47:14 PM »

Quote from: MaxSteele on December 26, 2010, 06:53:51 PM

I am actually grateful for this, because I was on the fence about Bad Company 2.  And now I've jumped over that fence. smile
+1 Downloading now.

morlac00 on PSN
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: December 26, 2010, 07:51:56 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 26, 2010, 06:41:19 PM

Quote from: Chaz on December 26, 2010, 06:39:42 PM

I bet next Sunday is one too.  IIRC the last day is traditionally a 'best of sale' day.  I'm wondering if we're going to see that Alien Breed pack that was mentioned with the pother Indie packs too.

Yeah, it has been in the past, but they've also never done a best of day in the middle of the sale.  It wouldn't shock me if they ran a different set of best ofs on the last day, but I no longer think it's a given.

mirage775

More than Meets the Eye!

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: December 26, 2010, 08:46:42 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 26, 2010, 06:35:31 PM

Agreed, this is BS...  mad

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: December 26, 2010, 08:50:09 PM »

well I did grab AI War finally, plus a few really cheap games off of my wishlist.

Because I can,
Lord Percy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: December 26, 2010, 09:44:47 PM »

They had The Witcher up for 0.99 for a little bit (94% discount). Now it went back to 3.99 like it was last time. I already thought it was weird to do a second chance sale for less than the original sale price.
mirage775

More than Meets the Eye!

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: December 26, 2010, 10:27:14 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 26, 2010, 08:50:09 PM

well I did grab AI War finally, plus a few really cheap games off of my wishlist.

I watched that video of it, but unsure if I could get into a game like that?   I've been playing DoW2 all weekend, that I bought back at the Thanksgiving sale, lol!

TradeAble
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: December 26, 2010, 11:37:54 PM »

Quote from: mirage775 on December 26, 2010, 10:27:14 PM

I watched that video of it, but unsure if I could get into a game like that?   I've been playing DoW2 all weekend, that I bought back at the Thanksgiving sale, lol!

They have a demo, you may want to give it a go.  I tried it out and I couldn't get into it myelf.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: