http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 03:29:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for - 1 month free trial for Netflix  (Read 3551 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: April 29, 2008, 04:32:54 AM »

Anyone have a coupon to share for that?  I'd like to try it out and a free month would be awesome.  smile  Anyone?

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 05:51:49 AM »

I'm not sure that they do full month trials, but I know you can get 2 weeks free.  I can email that to you if you'd like.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 11:49:03 AM »

Good timing.  I just got an email with a month long trial I can send out.  Should be in your inbox now.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 12:46:07 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on April 29, 2008, 11:49:03 AM

Good timing.  I just got an email with a month long trial I can send out.  Should be in your inbox now.

Perfect!  Had to dig it out of my spam box, but I nabbed it.  Thank you very much Chaz!

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 01:52:08 PM »

Why on earth does your email client think I'm spam?  I think I'm offended. 

Zero

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 07:19:10 PM »

Why Netflix?  I'm using BlockBuster - mainly because I really like having the ability to go to a BlockBuster store and grab a movie or game.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2008, 07:23:45 PM »

Quote from: Zero on April 29, 2008, 07:19:10 PM

Why Netflix?  I'm using BlockBuster - mainly because I really like having the ability to go to a BlockBuster store and grab a movie or game.

Blockbuster pissed me off.  My wife used to be a manager there and we had several hundred if not thousand rentals there.  We bring back a movie one day and the lady says "You know, you really need to return xyz movie - those late charged are really piling up."  We told the manager that we'd returned that movie over a month ago.  She still wanted to charge us the late fees.  We talked to the District Manager as the store manager wouldn't budge and his only solution was "Well, we could meet you half way and split the cost".  Given that the late fees were several HUNDRED dollars by this point I came up with a different solution:

finger

So yea...Netflix. smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 07:26:34 PM »

Netflix has a really good selection, as well.  We've totally gotten our money's worth out of it biggrin

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2008, 08:51:50 PM »

I started having problems with Netflix as far as movies not being shipped immediately upon their receipt of my returns.  This happened after several months of great service where my new rentals would be shipped the very same day they received the returns.  Instead, they would ship them the next day or the day after that.  After multiple unresolved complaints, I canceled the membership. 

I then tried Blockbuster, and what a clusterfuck that was.  I basically copied my queue from Netflix to Blockbuster, and almost every single movie on there was on short to long wait unless it was a new release.  There was one movie that I really wanted to watch, Shadow of the Vampire, but it was never available online.  It would always get skipped for the next in line.  At the time, Blockbuster was sending monthly coupons for 2 free in-store rentals, so I headed to several locations nearby to find the movie, only to be told that it was not available there.  The only location in Houston that had it was at least 20 miles away.  So I wrote a very nice and formal letter to customer service about it, and received a reply that basically said I was shit out of luck.  I then wrote back that I was on the cusp of canceling my membership and received the movie 2 days later.  WTF?

Anyway, I ended up canceling shortly thereafter anyway as my wife and I had our daughter, and movie-watching time is surprisingly short.
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 10:26:42 PM »

Sorry to hear you guys having problem with BlockBuster...I had problems with NetFlix - not getting my movies, and long turnaround time for movies returned.  So I switched to BB and haven't had any problems.  I return my movies to a local BB, get a movie or game, and then the turnaround time (both in Phoenix and Seattle) is about 1 day to get a new movie in the mail.  And also there is no late fees - so even the new movies with 2 day return, if I return it 4 days later - there's no late fees.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 12:50:00 AM »

Same here, love blockbuster total access. Back when they were doing the 3 out at a time with unlimited in store exchanges (around $17 a month) I must have racked up about 50 rentals a month. Got to the point that between the mailings and the in-store exchanges (with also instantly frees up your queue so they send the next one out) that there weren't any moves left to watch!

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2008, 11:53:03 AM »

Anyone else want a month trial?
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2008, 02:44:07 PM »

ooo me!
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2008, 03:31:13 PM »

I'd be happy to send one to someone as well

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2008, 06:33:05 PM »

Not sure which one of you sent me the trial but thanks a bunch!
JSL

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2008, 08:56:23 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on April 30, 2008, 03:31:13 PM

I'd be happy to send one to someone as well

I would love one!
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2008, 11:11:58 PM »

I've had no problems with netflix. I still consistently send something out on monday and get the next one back wednesday.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2008, 12:35:29 AM »

Quote from: Azhag on April 30, 2008, 11:11:58 PM

I've had no problems with netflix. I still consistently send something out on monday and get the next one back wednesday.

The "getting something" isn't the problem, it's that the something is 10 deep into my queue and not a new release. 

Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2008, 11:19:21 AM »

If someone wants the trial, PM me your email address.
Davidbld
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2008, 01:44:38 AM »

Lately Netflix has been less then steller. Case in point: I'm expecting BSG Season 3 disk 5, they say they shipped it but I never get it, a couple days later they list it as returned and they send out the next selection. I reiterate I never even got it!
Next case: I send back BSG season 3 disk 6 on monday, they should get it by tuesday and then send another one the same day or wednesday. They dont check in the disk till wednesday and then say theyre gonna ship it out the NEXT DAY on thursday, so I wont get it till friday, a total of 5 days when there local distribution is not to far from where I live! When I first started there service was good then it turned to ass, then it turned good again...now once again its ass. What the hell is up with that company.

Dave
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2008, 06:28:42 AM »

Quote from: Davidbld on May 02, 2008, 01:44:38 AM

What the hell is up with that company.

Its the algorithm they use and also I think some of the problem might be attributed to which distribution center you have to deal with.  So in your example - did the DVDs go to a different distribution center than you usually get them from?  Also did you recently get a newly released DVD, which might bump you down on their list of getting other DVDs (per their algorithm).
Davidbld
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2008, 03:02:12 AM »

Nope, both disks where from the Santa Ana, CA distribution center (I always check) and I live in the Los Angeles, CA area so its not that far. Also the newest disk I've rented is the Battle star Galactica series, Season 3. Not that new I think. There using a stupid algorithm?? Why not just send a new one when they get an old one? Its not that difficult folks!!! Algorithm this netflix  finger Sorry...I'm prolly out of line here.

Dave
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2008, 06:35:12 AM »

Supposedly, they've made some changes to their algorithm.  But yes the do use one, and people have had problems with it.
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2008, 02:11:15 PM »

Still have a free trial left.
Godzilla Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2008, 06:26:34 PM »

I've got a free month trial that I don't need either. PM me with your email address and I'll forward it along.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2008, 04:54:24 PM »

Well, so far so good.  I've sent in a movie on Saturday, had it processed Monday, and had the replacement yesterday.  Not too shabby.  Did a few instant-download movies too.  Now they just need to get on the ball with that 360/PS3 streamin thing.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2008, 06:36:35 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on May 07, 2008, 04:54:24 PM

Now they just need to get on the ball with that 360/PS3 streamin thing.

As an aside, I brought a projector and screen home over the weekend to let the kids watch some movies on the sorta' big screen.  While I was downloading codecs to play DVDs on my laptop I brought up Hulu.com just to see how it would look projected.  I put Titan AE on and streamed it onto the screen.  This is a really old 800x600 projector and a decent enough portable screen, playing a streamed movie and I must say it was more than adequate.  It actually was pretty good and we watched the whole movie that afternoon.  I am seriously considering a drop-down screen for the playroom with a projector mounted on the ceiling.  I'd have the PC up there hooked up to it and add some drive space.  Also add a PS3 and surround and it could double as a good sized media room.  Streaming from Netflix to the screen would be a handy option, at least for kid movies.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2008, 12:40:12 PM »

Does the one month free thing only work for new customers? I'm not new to Netflix, but I haven't subbed since around January. Godzilla Blitz sent me an invite for the 1 free month, but Netflix seemed to recognize that I was a previous customer and said no go.

And what's this PS3 streaming thing you guys are talking about?
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2008, 01:26:19 PM »

Quote from: Jeff Jones on May 08, 2008, 12:40:12 PM

You can stream movies from Netflix on a computer with their "Watch Now" features, but unless you have a HTPC there's no simple way to get it on your living room TV.  Since PS3s and 360s can be used as media servers, it'd be great if they made it so the Netflix streams could be viewed through one of those systems.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2008, 04:08:39 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on May 08, 2008, 01:26:19 PM

You can stream movies from Netflix on a computer with their "Watch Now" features, but unless you have a HTPC there's no simple way to get it on your living room TV.  Since PS3s and 360s can be used as media servers, it'd be great if they made it so the Netflix streams could be viewed through one of those systems.

Ah, so there are no actual plans to do this. I tried Netflix' 'watch it now' thing last year, and they required you to use IE to view the movies, so I never used it.

I agree though, PS3 integration would be a very nice feature.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2008, 04:57:48 PM »

Quote from: Jeff Jones on May 08, 2008, 04:08:39 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on May 08, 2008, 01:26:19 PM

Ah, so there are no actual plans to do this. I tried Netflix' 'watch it now' thing last year, and they required you to use IE to view the movies, so I never used it.

I agree though, PS3 integration would be a very nice feature.

They've sent out several surveys asking users whether they'd use it if they launched a service for 360 / PS3.  They are certainly thinking about it...

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2008, 05:21:18 PM »

Does the one month free thing only work for new customers? I'm not new to Netflix, but I haven't subbed since around January. Godzilla Blitz sent me an invite for the 1 free month, but Netflix seemed to recognize that I was a previous customer and said no go.

Those free-month (or 2-week) things are only for new customers.  You may be able to trick their system by signing up with a different email address (I did that for the free trial of GameFly a couple times) or it may use your actual address in the check in which case you just need to move and change your name.  slywink

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2008, 07:03:47 PM »

For anyone that has Vista Premium and would like to try streaming Netflix movies to their Xbox 360: check this out.  It also allows you to download WatchNow movies into a WatchLater directory, apparently. 

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2008, 09:36:29 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on May 10, 2008, 07:03:47 PM

For anyone that has Vista Premium and would like to try streaming Netflix movies to their Xbox 360: check this out.  It also allows you to download WatchNow movies into a WatchLater directory, apparently. 

Wow, that is impressive.  If somebody is able to do something like that on their own, I imagine Netflix will be doing something similar very very soon.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2008, 02:39:17 AM »

I have 4 'new customers get one free month' codes I got in the mail today.  If anyones interested PM me and I'll send the code.  They're only good until June 15th.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2008, 03:35:44 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on May 10, 2008, 09:36:29 PM

Quote from: EngineNo9 on May 10, 2008, 07:03:47 PM

Wow, that is impressive.  If somebody is able to do something like that on their own, I imagine Netflix will be doing something similar very very soon.

I tried it with an episode of The Office and it works, but it seems to lose image quality when you download the movies.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2008, 12:43:24 PM »

http://www.netflix.com/tellafriend

M58044361875
M51042361815
M53043361805
M52047381855
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2008, 02:35:49 PM »

I'm curious why everybody else seems to have these free months to give away but all I get on the website and in the mail are 2-week ones?  What kind of bullshit is that?

Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2008, 01:26:52 PM »

Netflix does not like you.
Austin

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2008, 02:21:26 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on May 13, 2008, 02:35:49 PM

I'm curious why everybody else seems to have these free months to give away but all I get on the website and in the mail are 2-week ones?  What kind of bullshit is that?

I'm not going to bug my friends with something they can get on their own.  If I feel like I'm doing them a favor by emailing them a link then I'm more likely to do it, as I'm giving them something they can't just go get for themselves.  I actually did forward a link onto a friend who was thinking about Netflix.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: