http://gamingtrend.com
August 31, 2014, 08:44:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HD-DVD player for $99?  (Read 905 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« on: July 15, 2007, 02:15:42 AM »

Yeah, there's supposed to be a question mark due to the fact that the originating site doesn't know for sure if this will be true. If it is though...

http://www.dvddossier.com/2007/07/a2-toshiba-hd-d.html:

If you're thinking of buying an HD DVD player, you might want to wait a week or so.

I just received an e-mail tonight from the folks at the EMA (Electronic Merchant's Association), who are responsible for a big industry event next week, the Home Media Expo. The e-mail is ostensibly an attempt to boost last minute attendance at next week's trade show, which will run July 16th - 19th in Las Vegas.

But the e-mail looks more like an ad for Toshiba than for the show itself. Even so, I found the pitch absolutely irresistible:

TOSHIBA HD DVD PLAYER for ONLY $99 PLUS 3 FREE HD DVDís

For one week only, starting July 22, 2007, Toshiba will be offering the HD A2 player for only $99. With your purchase you will also receive 3 HD DVD's.

I can't tell if this is an offer being made exclusively to show attendees, or if it's a consumer offer that Toshiba will announce at the Home Media Expo next week at the Venetian Resort. I suspect it's the latter, although it's nearly midnight on a Friday night and I have no way of confirming that at the present time.

As stated (and there's a bit more info in the link provided), it may or may not be true. But daddy could use a new HD-DVD player.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 04:09:07 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on July 15, 2007, 02:15:42 AM

Yeah, there's supposed to be a question mark due to the fact that the originating site doesn't know for sure if this will be true. If it is though...

http://www.dvddossier.com/2007/07/a2-toshiba-hd-d.html:

If you're thinking of buying an HD DVD player, you might want to wait a week or so.

I just received an e-mail tonight from the folks at the EMA (Electronic Merchant's Association), who are responsible for a big industry event next week, the Home Media Expo. The e-mail is ostensibly an attempt to boost last minute attendance at next week's trade show, which will run July 16th - 19th in Las Vegas.

But the e-mail looks more like an ad for Toshiba than for the show itself. Even so, I found the pitch absolutely irresistible:

TOSHIBA HD DVD PLAYER for ONLY $99 PLUS 3 FREE HD DVDís

For one week only, starting July 22, 2007, Toshiba will be offering the HD A2 player for only $99. With your purchase you will also receive 3 HD DVD's.

I can't tell if this is an offer being made exclusively to show attendees, or if it's a consumer offer that Toshiba will announce at the Home Media Expo next week at the Venetian Resort. I suspect it's the latter, although it's nearly midnight on a Friday night and I have no way of confirming that at the present time.

As stated (and there's a bit more info in the link provided), it may or may not be true. But daddy could use a new HD-DVD player.

if that is true good luck finding one.  and if it is true I think I will be out and about on 7-22 looking for one.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 02:07:37 PM »

Yeah, I doubt it's true... but if it is I might be out to grab one for my smaller hdtv...
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 06:27:31 PM »

Yeah at that price, I'd buy it and sell my HD-DVD add-on.

gellar
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 02:05:38 AM »

And a slight update:

Toshiba is running a short, promotional sale by selling its HD A2 HD DVD player for $99 with three HD DVD movies over at the Home Media Expo in Las Vegas. You may be thinking this is great news: but wait, there's a catch. Only attendees of the show will be able to take advantage of the deal, and with ticket prices of between $100 and $500, the deal isn't as great once you get in. Toshiba, maybe you should focus on reducing the prices for general consumers rather than running these awkward "promotions." The fact that you're trying to sell players at a conference reeks of desperation, which is weird since it looks like you've got nothing to worry about.

Well, poop.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 12:34:07 PM »

#1. Desperate.
#2. Isn't that the shitty gimped 1080i model?
#3. Desperate.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 01:06:18 PM »

#2. Isn't that the shitty gimped 1080i model?
Correct.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 12:04:35 AM »

Yeah if it wasn't the 1080i model it'd be worth it. As it is though it's just a waste.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: