http://gamingtrend.com
October 26, 2014, 05:11:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Finally, after years of waiting, I can complete my DS9 collection  (Read 1770 times)
hepcat
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« on: April 09, 2008, 07:35:26 PM »

35 bucks a season for ST: OS, Next Gen, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise.  There are also some other deals on that page, but the DS9 sets are what's calling MY name.   icon_wink

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 09:33:29 PM »

I miss Enterprise and Jolene Blalock.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Dunamis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 04:26:10 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on April 09, 2008, 09:33:29 PM

+1 on that!

I only do two things; kick ass and chew bubblegum.  Right now, I'm all out of bubblegum...
Dan_Theman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 05:45:48 PM »

Quote from: Dunamis on April 10, 2008, 04:26:10 PM

Quote from: Daehawk on April 09, 2008, 09:33:29 PM

+1 on that!
++ on at least the second part of that statement, although at least the show itself wasn't half bad.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 07:23:05 PM »

It got MUCH better towards the end of its run.  Didn't they push braga mostly out of the picture around that time?  I thought I'd read that they brought in fresh (and infinitely better) writers around that time to try and save the show.  Alas, it was too late by that point.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 08:56:44 PM »

From my understanding, the show sucked until the 3rd (and final) season. Basically because the writers took the established history of Star Trek and completely threw it out.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 09:07:23 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on April 10, 2008, 08:56:44 PM

From my understanding, the show sucked until the 3rd (and final) season. Basically because the writers took the established history of Star Trek and completely threw it out.
It started getting better during the third season, but Enterprise did make it to a 4th season before it was cancelled.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 09:35:37 PM »

Yeah I never bothered with Enterprise due to it being obvious just from seeing brief moments of the show that they crapped all over established history... well that and Voyager was awful.

Deep Space Nine was superb. By far, my favorite Star Trek show and I was a big fan of the two that preceded it.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 05:48:03 PM »

Few other shows could top Deep Space 9 in its prime. Good God, the war arc alone took up half the final season and all of it was filled with awesome.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2008, 05:58:26 PM »

Let us not forget that DS9 had the single greatest character from the Star Trek universe...

Garak.  The level of moral ambiguity the writers gave that character was amazing.

I loved the episode in which Cisco needed the Romulans to turn on the Dominion and asked Garak to handle it.  Garak told him he probably wouldn't like his solution to the problem.  Cisco, not realizing what would happen, told him to go ahead.  Garak ended up killing hundreds of Romulans in a rigged explosion that made it look like the Dominion double crossed the Romulans. 

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2008, 06:48:25 PM »

Garak was my favorite character in DS9 also. It was always a good episode when he was the focus.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2008, 07:05:59 PM »

I wish I could justify spending ~$300 on getting the entire run of DS9.  I want to Netflix them, but that will probably take up close to a year.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2008, 10:05:38 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on April 11, 2008, 05:58:26 PM

Let us not forget that DS9 had the single greatest character from the Star Trek universe...

Garak.  The level of moral ambiguity the writers gave that character was amazing.

I loved the episode in which Cisco needed the Romulans to turn on the Dominion and asked Garak to handle it.  Garak told him he probably wouldn't like his solution to the problem.  Cisco, not realizing what would happen, told him to go ahead.  Garak ended up killing hundreds of Romulans in a rigged explosion that made it look like the Dominion double crossed the Romulans. 

The best part of the whole episode was Sisko's decision at the end. smile
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 08:15:21 PM by whiteboyskim » Logged

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2008, 02:18:39 PM »

Quote from: Graham on April 10, 2008, 09:07:23 PM

Quote from: Destructor on April 10, 2008, 08:56:44 PM

It started getting better during the third season, but Enterprise did make it to a 4th season before it was cancelled.

3rd and 4th seasons were some kind of awesome - at least, story-wise. They still had some pretty weak characters in there and some pretty weak episodes mixed in, but at least it felt like it had a purpose.

Star Trek goes:

Deep Space Nine > Original Series > Next Generation > 3rd/4th season Enterprise > 1st-3rd season voyager > 4th-7th season Voyager > 1st/2nd season Enterprise

I could probably rip apart 1st/2nd season DS9 as being below Next Gen in quality, but there still were some brilliant moments there and it laid the foundation for a fantastic show once it figured out how to do a story without a ship going somewhere. (Solution: Add ship that goes somewhere)
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2008, 05:51:56 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on April 11, 2008, 05:58:26 PM

Yeah that episode ("In the Pale Moonlight" or something similar is the title) is my favorite episode of any Star Trek ever. Just a fantastic episode, and in many ways is the prime example of why DS9 is my favorite Star Trek series. DS9 darkens the utopian universe of Star Trek so wonderfully.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2008, 03:09:38 AM »

From In the Pale Moonlight..

Sisko: Who's watching Tolar?
Garak: I've locked him in his quarters. I've also left him with the distinct impression that if he attempts to force open the door, it may... explode.
Sisko: I hope that's just an impression.
Garak: It's best not to dwell on such minutiae.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2008, 12:03:59 PM »

d'oh...i keep thinking it's "Cisco" like the company.   icon_confused

Darrell999
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2008, 02:02:30 AM »

Enterprise was just 'meh' at best from seasons 1-3.  Season 4 was a whole different show, what the show should have been from the start.  It was excellent, except for the first episode (the necessary closure to season 3's awful cliffhanger) and the last episode (where Berman and Braga step in once more to wreck the show).  Everything in between was good to brilliant, IMO.

That said, my favorite Trek was DS9, especially seasons 4-7.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: